9 Belfast Bites

jmcbn

• Replies 731
  • Created
  • Last Reply

^Anyone of those would be perfect for my forever home.....  :wub:

You'll have one.  You will.   Good things come to those who wait and work hard and save their moolah and budget and don't blow all of their money on silly things that won't amount to a hill of beans...cooking at home saves 1000's of buckaroos. Maw taught us the law of reciprocity. That Maw of mine is a giver. She doesn't expect anything in return but big things have been given back to her in the most unexpected ways and means.

Bear says she's the sweetest thang he's ever met in his life.  It's true. She's a saver and a giver.  No debts or payments.  Everything and I mean everything paid for in cash.  I admire her, too. :wub:  

You'll have one.  You will.   Good things come to those who wait and work hard and save their moolah and budget and don't blow all of their money on silly things that won't amount to a hill of beans...cooking at home saves 1000's of buckaroos.  

And if all else fails I can start selling my Booch...!!

It's always good to have a plan B  ;)  :D

Really I should be studying but it's been one of those weeks and I really need some brief down time so here I am...

My week culminated today with a H&S audit. We have A LOT of legislation with which we have to adhere so we get an annual check for H&S compliance/standards, and an annual check (around 6months later) for our Quality & Environmental control.

So today I ate breakfast around 6:30am then was in full on audit mode until 2:30pm - no break for water, no break for food - and there wasn't so much as a rumble from my tummy. Fast forward 3hrs to when I was at the gym having scoffed some rather garlicky chilli with kale braised in duck fat and the rumbles were clearly audible except that they weren't from hunger  :blink: Now, I'm not sure if I'm just trying to justify the issues & convince myself that garlic is my friend when it clearly wasn't today, but I'm still inclined to give garlic the benefit of the doubt considering how fast I ate my lunch knowing I'd still a shed load of work to clear before I left for the day - I mean I could barely catch a breath when I was done...

These food trials are about progress though, and taking two steps forward & three steps back would be counter productive so I think that considering I lived without garlic for so long that it wouldn't do me any harm to go back to the garlic infused oil for a while, allow things to settle (if there ARE things going on), and then give it another go further on down the line.

In other news (what? :D ) my Auditor happened to liken a Risk Assessment to his recent long overdue medical assessment and a Method Statement to his Drs recommendation for what he could do to get out of his current prediabetic, high blood pressure, overweight, high cholesterol state so, you know, the conversation very quickly turned to diet and after asking him a few questions about what changes he has made already I made a few recommendations of my own. He was very receptive to the advice having started to develop a 6 month plan for improving his health and he left muttering the words  'It Starts With Food' as he shook my hand  :D

*Disclaimer - this is a POST Whole30 Log and whilst I eat predominantly Whole30 I am NOT currently doing a Whole30.

Yesterday I had cake. It was Christmas cake, and it was gluten free, and it was gifted to me in a Hamper at Christmas with all sorts of other local luxury goodies by a client who'd obviously done his homework, and it's been sat in my cupboard ever since.

The last time I had Christmas cake was a number of years ago and it was made by a very good friend of mine who is an absolute star in the kitchen. She'd been feeding that bad boy alcohol for weeks before Christmas and it was unbelievably rich & extremely fruit/alcohol dense, it was beautifully iced & it was delicious. An absolute masterpiece.

So last night I sat down with my first born to catch up with The Walking Dead and thought I'd have me some cake with my china white monkey tea. I cut a rather generous* slice (*ahem read that as HUGE :ph34r:  :lol: ) and made myself comfortable. The first bite was a little crumbly and I immediately thought '...hmmm, this isn't as good as my friend's...' I took a sip of tea and then took a second bite and wasn't much impressed even by the flavour. I took a third bite - just to be sure - then got up & threw the remainder in the bin then passed the rest of the cake, still in it's packaging, onto my Dad this afternoon.

I don't make a point of buying gluten free anything because there is usually all sorts of nasties added in to get the texture right and I've long since got out of the habit of eating bread replacements, or cakes/buns on a regular basis. This cake was made locally though with a mix of potato flour & rice flour and nothing added to it along with the fruit/alcohol that I'd turn my nose up at. I'm fine with rice but choose not to eat it as I see it more as a filler with no nutritional value, so I knew this wasn't going to impact my health in anyway, but cake is cake is cake and this one was just so not worth it.

Do I feel guilty today for eating the cake? No
Am I craving sugary sweet foods today? No

Will I eat cake again in the future? You betcha.

I'm not a moderator or an abstainer. I don't believe in boxes. I think outside of the box, I'm in control, and I have food freedom.

Sorry to butt in here, but I saw the post about fruit cake and was compelled to respond. I received a gift of Emily Dickenson Black Cake - a tiny loaf full of dried fruit and brandy and it was delicious. This was long after completion of my W30 and I ate it just like an old lady poet would have, a small slice at a time. No dragons were awakened. It was worth it. Cheers.

Maw used to buy me a top of the line fruitcake every year for Christmas.   All my ex's live in Texas. Fruitcakes from the Tx fruitcake co.   Lurve 'em.

I wasn't a looper as a kid.  I could have whatever I wanted and whenever I wanted it.  It didn't faze me. Grains have changed since then and everything is ultra modified and refined.

What ruined everything is dieting.  That's what made me a looper.  Stuck on a gerbil wheel and spinning in my tracks.   It was limited shrinking thinking.  Shrinking thinking became stinkin' thinkin' and I was stuck in the loop.

When you're a looper like I was, I chose to sit down with someone.  Face to face.  An expert, top of the food chain when it comes to food addictions.  No names or places.

True blue black and white thinking was not my pathway to healing.  Anyone can google and read about it.  If you know anyone who has been a lifelong dieter, all or nothing, mostly abstaining is what dieters do. They do this for an entire lifetime.   

They live and die by the scale.  They count, measure and weigh.  It is not the way.  

They're scared or terrified of weight gain.  They are stuck in that loop and spinning on the gerbil wheel. Food freedom is being able to make sense out of the senseless.  Form out of the formless and freedom out of the chaos.

I know people who've been on their gerbil wheels for decades.  No change.   

Some can afford food delivery and maybe even a personal chef.   No change.  

It starts with dieting and ends with dieting.  Loopers.  You have to get so far away from dieting that when you take a quick glance at it in your rearview mirror, you literally feel repulsed by it.  It will happen.

You just have to stay the course and take your life back.  Reclaim your mind.  When you take your mind back and don't let anyone else have it,  you will find your pathway to healing.

Sorry to butt in here, but I saw the post about fruit cake and was compelled to respond. I received a gift of Emily Dickenson Black Cake - a tiny loaf full of dried fruit and brandy and it was delicious. This was long after completion of my W30 and I ate it just like an old lady poet would have, a small slice at a time. No dragons were awakened. It was worth it. Cheers.

That's great progress for you.

Sugar has never been an issue for me. I can quite happily eat a dessert of my choosing, or an ice cream, or whatever and get straight back on track again. And I can quite happily bin a slice of cake that isn't worth it without thinking I'm missing out. I think those who come here to diet struggle much more with this concept. The all or nothing thinking. They never change their mind-set. And they moralise foods.

There are no bad food choices, only consequences.

That's great progress for you.

Sugar has never been an issue for me. I can quite happily eat a dessert of my choosing, or an ice cream, or whatever and get straight back on track again. And I can quite happily bin a slice of cake that isn't worth it without thinking I'm missing out. I think those who come here to diet struggle much more with this concept. The all or nothing thinking. They never change their mind-set. And they moralise foods.

There are no bad food choices, only consequences.

Thanks. ^^^^  I actually jump and shout when you write these great things.

Today was a GLORIOUS day in God's own country. The sun was shining, the birds were singing, there was a definite hint of Spring in the air, and I even drove home from work in daylight - two weeks before the clocks go forward here!! 

The day didn't start well in that I was hoping for a week at the office where I would get to catch up with everything that hasn't been done over the past few weeks due to Audit prep, VAT returns & numerous Tender submissions, but sadly that was not to be...

Regardless I did manage to do a BIT of a clear-out, I did have a productive day, and I DID get to do a brisk walk of the large block in the warm sunshine at lunch time, plus have a chat with my favourite shop assistant at the Farm shop (who today gave me some free cucumbers & scallions) - and that was just what the Dr ordered.

That and a serving of mackerel for dinner left me feeling ready to face the week with a smile. Plus the thought of a four day week - all hail St Patrick!!  :D 

With the weather having heated up a bit here my Kombucha brewing is coming along rather nicely. Hotel California is now officially open for business and has it's first resident who will henceforth & forever more be known as The Rock. Brewing has all now been moved into the two 5ltr continuous brewing jars and we're currently looking at around a 6 litre production, with room for a further 4 litres (with my one spare smaller jar) as the babies develop a little, so I should be able to up it by another litre or two at the next brew. I bottled a batch from Hogan yesterday (in my brand spanking new amber glass kilner bottles with swing seals) and added some fresh ginger to each one so I'm looking forward to trying those in the coming days. I had a peek in Hulk's jar earlier and things are looking good.... I don't know why I didn't try this all sooner  B) 

img15c.jpg

kilner-drink-works-12-swing-tops-i548176

That awkward moment when your Boss walks into your office and your eyes are streaming & your nose is tripping you, so he thinks you're crying and he asks what's wrong, and you point to your curry.... 

Yeah, I think I was a bit heavy handed with the spices this weekend :blink:  :wacko:  :o

And to think I brought olives rather than coconut cream....

Our radio station was advertising the Corned Beef Irish Dinner at the Community Chow Hall.  They were going on and on in their wonky western Irish accents.  I was thinking,  Ooooo,  Brother.   I wanted to call in and tell them that no one in Éireann will be eating a corned beef Irish Dinner.  And they sure and begorrah don't talk like that with a twangy Irish brogue.  But I know someone who likes beets and curry, throws back a Hooch Booch called the Hotel California.  

They would think I was on the loose.  You know how hard it is to stifle yourself when you're in church.  Something hits you and you start shaking.  If anyone looks at you.... I was laughing so hard in the middle of the night about the cereal caper.  I know it's not supposed to be funny but I can't quit laughing.  If only they would do that to all of the refined snacks.  Folks would have an easier time all the way around.  :D 

One more thought before you hit the hay.   Do you think the reason the booch fizzes out from using starter from a commercial bottle of booch is because it's too manufactured.  Something organic is missing and it's lost that lovin' feelin'.  I'm wondering if that is the problem.  Your booch should maintain its strength.   Can't wait for you to tell us about the first taste of that crisp ginger brew.  Your folkaronies should like it.

Interestingly the curry today gave me more digestive distress than any of my fructan trials so far - and it wasn't even a fructan trial!!. By the time I left work my stomach was in knots, and I was happy I was NOT training this evening.

There was no garlic in the curry at all, nor was there onion or any other fructans - I made a paste from garlic infused oil, regular olive oil, some greens from scallions (+ a bunch of kale as I'd forgotten to get more scallion supplies), fresh ginger & x2 chillies. I'd marinated the chicken in turmeric, cumin, coriander, cayenne, garam masala & paprika - all ingredients I use weekly. After the marinated chicken (about 18 thighs) had been sealed in my cast iron pan I added the paste, stirred it in for a bit & then added almost a full can of coconut milk.

Coconut milk contains fructose and research at Monash University found that a half a cup per meal or snack is ok for FODMAP sufferers, and considering this isn't the first time I've used a can in a curry, or coconut milk in general I'm reluctant to caste the blame in that direction. I mean I could live without it (my intake of it recently has dropped considerably anyway), but the thought of making all of my curries (of which I eat a fair few) with a tomato base just doesn't sound appealing, and could open a whole new can of worms - one of the problems of over-restriction being that it results in over-exposure, which in turn can result in an intolerance.

It HAD to be an overkill of spices. It had to be.

I had a chicken salad for tea with a huge serving of soothing mayo and a glass of Booch on the side, and I think I'll replicate this tomorrow with more basic meals throughout the day to allow my stomach to settle before attempting the curry again on Thursday.

One more thought before you hit the hay.   Do you think the reason the booch fizzes out from using starter from a commercial bottle of booch is because it's too manufactured.  Something organic is missing and it's lost that lovin' feelin'.  I'm wondering if that is the problem.  Your booch should maintain its strength.   Can't wait for you to tell us about the first taste of that crisp ginger brew.  Your folkaronies should like it.

The fizz should come from the carbonation process of bottling - ie. fermentation, as little air as possible & a tightly sealed bottle. The commercial booch that I tasted was REALLY fizzy though, and I wonder now if there wasn't some forced carbonation in those bottles, or a higher volume of sugar to tea for the scoby to feed on. Plus I imagine because they're brewing in bulk & then storing until shipping that the bottles are going to stay out of the fridge for longer - as soon as it goes in the fridge the fermentation process stops... I dunno. I'm guessing here - I've not been brewing long enough...!!

The fresh ginger is supposedly a sure fire way of getting more fizz.

• Administrators

The fizz should come from the carbonation process of bottling - ie. fermentation, as little air as possible & a tightly sealed bottle. The commercial booch that I tasted was REALLY fizzy though, and I wonder now if there wasn't some forced carbonation in those bottles, or a higher volume of sugar to tea for the scoby to feed on. Plus I imagine because they're brewing in bulk & then storing until shipping that the bottles are going to stay out of the fridge for longer - as soon as it goes in the fridge the fermentation process stops... I dunno. I'm guessing here - I've not been brewing long enough...!!

The fresh ginger is supposedly a sure fire way of getting more fizz.

The big commercial producers definitely do add "false fizz" in order to keep every batch consistent.  When my personal brewery went on hiatus in September last year it was because after over a year, the scoby that I had been using fizzled out and no matter what I did, I couldn't get any carbonation.  The kombucha kept coming out nice and tart so I knew it was doing something but no fizz.  

My brewery is active again and I'm getting glorious carbonation right from the first fermentation and then depending on what I flavour with, more or less after that.  Every batch will be different.  The fizz is also a different sort than what you get in a can of Coke, it's softer and finer so it's harder to control/guarantee.

If you can find dried hibiscus flowers, throwing a dried flower in per bottle also gives awesome fizz and depending on how many you use, a drier end product.

Archived