Does salt qualitiy matter?

Jerome

All salt is compliant but I'd go with the best that you can afford, and don't be afraid to add some to each meal - by eating wholesome nutritious food and avoiding processed foods you're eliminating around 75% of your usual salt intake and considering the amount you naturally lose on a daily basis you really do need it, and people with burned out adrenals in particular will benefit from adding some.

If it helps one of our members once posted >this link< to a podcast on why the type of salt you use matters.

Personally I use pink himalayan but I can get it fairly reasonably where I am.

• Moderators

I am sure that "high quality" salt includes minerals you might not otherwise get, but I typically use cheap salt in my cooking. I figure that my overall diet is great and I don't like dealing with fancy salt. My hands are often wet when I am cooking, so grabbing a pinch of salt like a TV chef does not work very well for me. I like being able to grab my salt shaker. And when cooking big portions, I like to pour salt from the box I buy it in. Of course, I don't use real garlic for the same reason. Real garlic might be better, but I like how easy it is to cook with granulated garlic or garlic powder. I do however, cook with real onions and not onion powder. :) 

• Whole30 Certified Coach

I pay $3/lb for Himalayan salt.  I'd guess that lasts me at least 6 months or so...  Do you live in the US?  Marshall's, TJ Maxx those type of places always sell pink salt for less (I get mine there).  Trader Joe's sells a pink salt grinder for $2 - and then you have a grinder!  

I also use this for "bulk" salt.  Again, <$3 at the local grocery store for 1 lb container.  

It's pretty rare, but always read the ingredients (if there don't seem to be any, it's probably just salt), there are weird companies that even put gluten in salt. Crazy :rolleyes:

I use both kinds of salt, I don't like to waste the pink stuff if it's going in water which gets thrown out etc.

If it's expensive where you are and you'd like some, see if you can get someone to bring/send you some from where it's cheaper :)

Archived