Egg and nut free toddler lunch ideas

keightlynn

Gosh, I'm trying to think back to what my boys (now almost 14 & 10) could handle texture wise at that stage so bear with me if I suggest something a little advanced, but how about something like meatballs, slices of meatloaf, ground meat muffins or chicken 'strips' or 'nuggets' (fish would work here too) with some veg sticks (think (steamed/boiled) carrot, celery, cucumber, peppers, sweet/white potato 'fries' or wedges etc) with a side of something like guacamole or home-made mayo for dipping (or even some nut butter...) Or olives maybe?

Dried apricots were a staple for my youngest who has MANY allergies.

Also bear in mind that the SWYPO rule doesn't apply to kids so pancakes from compliant ingredients might work.

Can you make meatballs without eggs? How do you get them to stick together? He eats a ton of veggies (esp peppers and root veggies) but I want to be sure he gets more protein and fat. Shredded meat would prob work. I haven't found any egg free pancakes either. I do sometimes give him chickpeas, which i know isn't paleo but it's a protein in a pinch and I think there are def worse things. My mom is always on me for not giving him bread but I try to explain that when his foods are already limited by allergies I don't want him having empty calories.

As Brewer5 said meatballs stick together just fine without the eggs, and if you google 'egg free paleo pancakes' there are quite a few recipes out there - many use chia seeds with water to form the 'liquid' part, which I'll highlight again, is off limits on an adult Whole30, but fine for a child.

ETA: Having just re-read my initial reply you can obviously ignore my nut butter suggestion considering the nursery is nut free!!  :wacko:

I just started the whole30 today & struggled with lunch ideas for my kids too.  This is a great thread to have.  My allergic kid is in th 4th grade (have another one who is 5 also with allergies but most stuff on the whole30 will be ok for her), but he can't have eggs, almonds, or sweet potatoes.  I made Melissa's Chicken Hash (pg 228) for him this morning with regular white organic potatoes instead of the sweet potatoes, and he liked it.  He took leftovers with him for lunch!  I am not sure what else to do for him.  Maybe some of the salad ideas with protein, but probably toddlers (and my 5 year old) aren't going to be into that. 

• 2 weeks later...

Archived