Muscle Food UK

LauraDanger

Already searched the whole forum for "muscle food" but getting nothing but success stories about people becoming more lean.

Im in the UK and I usually use Muscle Food for my meat.

Can someone have a look at the site and this promotion and let me know:

http://www.musclefood.com/ukasextralean?utm_source=HomePage&utm_medium=Banner&utm_campaign=29-12-2015Banner

Thank you in advance! 

-Laura 

Hi Laura

I've just taken a look at the pack seeing as you mentioned the chicken sausages & unfortunately these would be out for your Whole30 as they contain wheat flour. The meatballs would be out because they contain rice flour & sulphites, the lean turkey hache steaks also contain rice flour & sulphites so they're out too. The free range peri peri beef hache steaks contain rice flour, sulphites, soy, sugar, dextrose (& sugar!) & cornflour to name but a few - all out for your Whole30.

That's about as far as I got, but with any ground meat products you really need to check for the full ingredients list to ensure compliance. Unless you're going for a chorizo type sausage in the UK or a vacuum packed hot dog type there are more often than not fillers of some description that will make the meat off limits.

Your best bet is to stick with steaks, pork chops, whole chickens or chicken pieces and you won't go far wrong.

Unless you've a lot of freezer space I'd leave this until after your Whole30.

Hope I caught you before you ordered!!

I've just taken a look at the pack seeing as you mentioned the chicken sausages & unfortunately these would be out for your Whole30 as they contain wheat flour. The meatballs would be out because they contain rice flour & sulphites, the lean turkey hache steaks also contain rice flour & sulphites so they're out too. The free range peri peri beef hache steaks contain rice flour, sulphites, soy, sugar, dextrose (& sugar!) & cornflour to name but a few - all out for your Whole30.

That's about as far as I got...

Great catches, jmcbn - I initially only took a quick peek, saw meats and didn't go any further.

Yikes on the ingredients ...

Great catches, jmcbn - I initially only took a quick peek, saw meats and didn't go any further.

Yikes on the ingredients ...

Yes, but sure it's all low fat, so that makes it okay....  ;)  :P

Laura, given that you've been shopping there please know that fat is your friend here - without it you'll struggle with hunger, and with cravings - don't fear the fat!!

Yes, but sure it's all low fat, so that makes it okay....  ;)  :P

Laura, given that you've been shopping there please know that fat is your friend here - without it you'll struggle with hunger, and with cravings - don't fear the fat!!

nah im ok with fat, i was just looking at that bundle because it was on sale.

You would think with it being named "muscle food" and being targeted at those who obv eat a lot of meat and work out that theyd be more "selective" with their ingredients.

Im still on a search for a UK supplier of sausages. I only usually buy HECK because they are gluten free but they wont be suitable for whole30 because they have rice flour in them :(

-Laura

Im still on a search for a UK supplier of sausages. I only usually buy HECK because they are gluten free but they wont be suitable for whole30 because they have rice flour in them :(

-Laura

I only just spotted those myself over Christmas - good for my kids, me not so much... 

I've yet to find a compliant sausage as we know them - maybe if you could speak with a local farm shop or a decent butcher they could make some up for you without whatever rusk they normally add to it? Or maybe if you made the meat mix yourself with whatever herbs etc you fancy they could make some for you...

If there's anything else you're on the look out for just ask - that said you really don't need all the fancy ingredients. Keep it simple and you'll keep the costs down, and you'll be less likely to come up against anything that might mean a start over.

:)

Sainsburys have some sausages which are compliant, they are something like 97% pork and remaining 3% are spices. Sorry I can't remember exactly which ones they are though. I also think that Debbie and Andrews Harrogate pork sausages might well be the same. Worth a look at :)

Sainsburys have some sausages which are compliant, they are something like 97% pork and remaining 3% are spices. Sorry I can't remember exactly which ones they are though. I also think that Debbie and Andrews Harrogate pork sausages might well be the same. Worth a look at :)

Thank you Laura, i will go check out the website :)

Yeah, the sodium sulphite makes these off limits for Whole30 - no sulphites I'm afraid.

I'd be interested to know which of the Sainsbury's sausages are compliant - every gluten free version I looked at online contained sulphites, and at least one had sugar added too.

My fitness instructor uses Muscle foods and I've looked before -  full of SO much rubbish!! If you want to get a mail order meat box there are much better options - though I can't promise cheaper!!

Riverfood do compliant sausages (and amazing organic meat) http://www.riverford.co.uk/shop/meat/sausages-bacon-burgers-gammon/sausages-pork-gluten-free-400gthough I've never had them myself :-)

My fitness instructor uses Muscle foods and I've looked before -  full of SO much rubbish!! If you want to get a mail order meat box there are much better options - though I can't promise cheaper!!

Riverfood do compliant sausages (and amazing organic meat) http://www.riverford.co.uk/shop/meat/sausages-bacon-burgers-gammon/sausages-pork-gluten-free-400gthough I've never had them myself :-)

those have potato starch, is that allowed?

pork 87%, gluten free pork sausage mix 9% (potato starch, sea salt*, white pepper, ascorbic acid E300*, black pepper, ginger, sage, sugar, nutmeg, thyme, rosemary extract), water*, natural hogs casings*, (* non organic).

those have potato starch, is that allowed?

pork 87%, gluten free pork sausage mix 9% (potato starch, sea salt*, white pepper, ascorbic acid E300*, black pepper, ginger, sage, sugar, nutmeg, thyme, rosemary extract), water*, natural hogs casings*, (* non organic).

The sugar makes them off limits - sorry!

Didnt even get to the sugar on the list. Just stopped at potato starch :)

Only just realised that paleo Britain have a recommended protein list.. 

wonder if http://www.devonrose.com/shop/sausages-burgers-bacon.htmldo whole30 compliant sausages or even bacon :drool: 

Sugar free bacon is easy enough to find from any local butcher, and in fact I'm pretty sure most of the main supermarkets carry a sugar free brand. Tesco unsmoked back bacon is compliant for instance, as is their streaky. Remember nitrates are ok on a whole30, it's the sulphites you want to be avoiding.

By George I think you've got it...!!  :D 

Except that they don't deliver to Ireland....................................................................  :o  :(  :unsure:

Gah typical!! I think they occasionally stock the elusive spaghetti squash too ......

Archived