Vitamix - which model to buy?

Becky1979

I desperately want a Vitamix, so I'm saving diligently and I would appreciate some advice on which model would be best.  I'm currently looking at the S30 vs the Pro300.  It seems like the S30 does everything the Pro300 does, but it's just smaller, and the way the jug fits on and off the base seems different.  I've not been able to find anywhere near me that stocks the S30, so I haven't checked it out IRL.

My main concern is that since I will mainly be making smaller portions - the most I would make at once would be soup for 2 people - the smaller jug of the S30 might actually deliver better results.  I have a perception that making small quantities in the larger jug might not work out so well but I'm not sure if this has any basis in reality.

Does anyone have any experience of this?

Also, any general thoughts re the S30 v Pro300 would be very welcome.

• Moderators

Stop wanting the Vitamix. I have not used mine in 4 years. They are a completely useless tool for Whole30-style cooking and eating. To make soup, get an immersion blender. I use an expensive Swiss-made one, but you can get a decent one for $25. Cook your soup ingredients in a pot and then use the immersion blender to puree it into soup. 

• Moderators

If you're wanting something that would be useful for eating Whole30 style, I'd look at food processors, rather than blenders. Like several people above said, an immersion blender will blend creamy soups, and is great for making mayo. A food processor will grate/shred, slice vegetables, blend sauces, make chunky salsa or pico de gallo, make nut butters. They're not necessary, but after doing a couple of Whole30s and deciding this is a way I want to eat forever, I saved up and splurged on a nice one and use it regularly. 

I LOVE my Vitamix - while it may not be one of those things that's essential for Whole 30 living, we use it all the time for sauces, soups, salad dressings, etc.   I'd say it's been used almost daily for the last four years.  I can't comment on the models as mine is an older version.  Good luck with your choices, very much an investment so it's good to get all sorts of opinions.

I completely disagree with Tom.  I have a Vitamix 5200 with a dry and wet cup and I use mine several times a week.  It's the one kitchen tool I cannot live without.  It's not essential for the WF30, but if you love to cook as I do, I think it's a great kitchen appliance.  I use it far more than my food processor or immersion blender.

If you do decide you must have a vitamix, see if anyone you know has a Costco membership as they always sell them there for less. Personally though I can't recommend it. I bought mine years ago when I thought green smoothies were going to change my life, and it did not hold up as well as a product of its price should have. The entire bottom of the container started leaking. I'm sure I could contact the company, but honestly I'm really over it. The nutribullet that my boyfriend bought at kohls for less than $100 blends just as well if not better and has held up much better. I LOVE my food processor for cauliflower rice, shredded sweet potatoes, and I make my mayo in that (easier than holding the immersion blender and I have yet to have a fail) A cheap immersion blender is awesome for blended soups, but you can always put soups in the food processor in batches. If I could only have one I would definitely go for a good processor! If you are looking for more reviews/comments I like to read reviews on amazon before I buy things.

Archived