Shakes...

dell2149

Hello all! I love having a Shake in the morning and I just realized pea protein isn't allowed. Are there any shake like suggestions. I know that powders aren't whole but I don't have the time to cook in the morning, as I leave my house at 6 am.... Help please!

• Moderators

Brewer5 is right -- we're going to encourage you to eat real food. If you google Whole30 fast breakfast, or Whole30 breakfast to go, you'll get lots of past discussion on this topic. Here's one to get you started.

As for why no shakes/smoothies, here's what the Can I Have list has to say about them:

Smoothies: We’d rather you didn’t

This is a very popular question, with a very unpopular answer. Smoothies (generally made using lots of fruit) are technically compliant on your Whole30, but we strongly recommend against it. Food that you drink sends different satiety signals to your brain than food that you chew. So when you drink your meal, your brain isn’t getting the feedback it needs to tell your body that it’s had enough of what it needs. Plus, smoothies are generally really fruit-heavy, and starting your day off with a liquid sugar-bomb sets you up for cravings, hunger, and volatile energy levels throughout the day. In summary, we’d rather you just eat the food, and skip the smoothie.

• Moderators

Shakes are also problematic because they are never going to satisfy you for 4-5 hours. Quality protein simply doesn't come in a powder.
For 30 days, we are asking you to noursih your body with The Best Possible foods only. Hard boiled eggs, leftovers from dinner, frittatas, stew, tuna-- whatever works for you in the morning.

Archived