Tigers and Turtles - 2016

Crimsann

I thought of this name for our group based on some fun conversations we had during our January Journey (http://forum.whole30.com/topic/32849-ttt-and-renewed-crew-january-journey/page-1) ...but on a whim I googled Tiger Turtles to see if we could find a mascot maybe and to my amusement I found an art installation called Tiger and Turtle which looks like a roller coaster and how appropriate is that for the ride we are on?!   Add in the fact that it was listed a few years ago as #5 on Huffington Post's "Most Extreme Staircases" and I was cracking up laughing. 

All in favor, sign up here for an exciting year!

• Replies 646
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Forgot to say, I love the name and appreciate your efforts at finding a suitable one for us.

I am going to use this month to focus on exercise more, I have been doing fairly well but want to make it more consistent--and brushing of course. :) 

Love the idea of a permanent place to post, check in, or just hang out for an extended time.

Perfect name Crimsann - thanks for setting this up.  Has anyone here ever had a reaction to flax?  I'm not still W30 - just reintro'ing slowly - I ate a Flax 4 Life Flax Brownie last night.  This AM felt like crap - itchy, headache, stuffy, etc.  Rest of diet has been about the same. I know I'm sensitive to dairy but it didn't have any in it.

People who are doing the program and don't even know what the program really is and what it's for is the reason that W30 and Paleo have, in some circles, gotten a bad rep for being unhealthy, faddish or whatever.  That's too bad.

Crimsann - trying to decide if I'm a Modstainer or Aberator :lol:

Thanks, Crimsann!! It's good to be "home" with all my favorite W30 peeps!

Here's my nugget of learning for today: My tastes are changing. REALLY changing. After plans to go out to dinner were cancelled, I toyed with the idea of picking something up, but decided to come home and make a salad. And was wonderful. Simple, tart (ACV--yum!), and filling, and it only took a couple of minutes to throw together. And I couldn't have been happier! 

Perfect name Crimsann - thanks for setting this up.  Has anyone here ever had a reaction to flax?  I'm not still W30 - just reintro'ing slowly - I ate a Flax 4 Life Flax Brownie last night.  This AM felt like crap - itchy, headache, stuffy, etc.  Rest of diet has been about the same. I know I'm sensitive to dairy but it didn't have any in it.

People who are doing the program and don't even know what the program really is and what it's for is the reason that W30 and Paleo have, in some circles, gotten a bad rep for being unhealthy, faddish or whatever.  That's too bad.

Crimsann - trying to decide if I'm a Modstainer or Aberator :lol:

Hi, it might not be the flax, could be the chocolate or whatever else was in the brownie. It's difficult to know what the problem is when there is more than one ingredient.

On my day 31, we were going out for breakfast and I was really toying with the idea of having breakfast that would include more than one restricted item. Then decided I didn't want to have to spend my life figuring out what it was that hit the fan! So changed my mind and ordered side orders of avo/bacon (checked it was okay) and had a coffee. I loved the coffee and didn't have any problems but decided I will only have a coffee occasionally.

Recipe Swap!

So warning before you venture to follow the link below, this site in neither Whole30 or even particularly Paleo...it does however have a lot of great recipes, gorgeous photo's, and the dishes lean towards very simple fresh ingredients which means some of them are inadvertantly Whole30 and some can easily be adapted.

On my menu for the coming week?  Lemon Chicken and Red Potatoes done in this quick and easy foil packet method.  I'm hoping to make up several servings, fully baked, then be able to pop a packet back in the oven on weeknights for a quick reheat. 

Recipe here:  http://damndelicious.net/2015/06/13/lemon-chicken-and-potatoes-in-foil/

Assuming your mustard is compliant, this one should be good to go as is.

Geez! I thought I had already posted on this new thread....anyway, thanks Crimsann for moving us to our new home. Am so glad to see everyone here.

I am doing well...allowing a bit of this and a bit of that ....but mostly just one small something per day, and some days still all compliant. Want to keep it that way.

Thanks for the recipe...and for all of your tals or victories. The momnts of waiting out desire/urges are significant but really not THAT long.

hello to all turtles and tigers!

still going w/ the whole 30-now a whole 40 and counting. hoping that time will be the answer to my body recalibrating. also realizing that I still occasionally eat when not hungry. I need to ask myself the steamed fish/broccoli question more often. (btw, have any of you discovered sablefish/black cod? just prepared it and it was wonderful. more omega 3s than most salmon and very forgiving as far as done/overdone/underdone)

another NSV I just thought of: I haven't had a diet coke or any artificial sweetener at all in WEEKS. I just LOVED diet coke despite knowing it was evil incarnate. yet here I am-I haven't had one since December.

also: when I feel myself starting to go off track and binge, I've decided to binge on compliant food. I know I shouldn't but figure it's better than a little bit of sugar/gluten/etc. at least that's my rationale...perhaps that's at the root of my lack of weight loss!

Hi all - happy weekend!  Doing pretty well considering I've intro'd dairy with mixed results.  Generally some bloating, congestion and some skin issues so I know I will need to modstain.  After last W30 I intro'd dairy in the form of yogurt and had re-appearance of nasty knee pain; I haven't had yogurt yet this go 'round and so far haven't had the knee pain - not sure if reaction to yogurt could be that different but I guess I'll test it eventually.  I recently stopped taking estrogen replacement to see if my dry eye syndrome resolved.  The improvement was pretty dramatic and for a while didn't have side effects from no HRT.  THEN the hot flashes started - not that bad but I'm just not used to them as I immediately had started HRT 10 years ago, the day of my surgery so I never dealt with it.  I broke down a few days ago and took an estrogen - and had 2 miserable days with my eyes.  I'll probably continue to abstain HRT except for maybe once a week or so on the weekend when my eye symptoms are more manageable.  Geez - enough about that.

Hsheffield - I definitely think eating whole food is better than the alternative but maybe you can find a way to figure out what your triggers are - boredom, actual hunger, fatigue?  Kudos on nixing diet coke :)   That is a huge NSV.  Soft drinks definitely pull on me - and I have indulged lately.  I try to at least have ones with sugar instead of HFCS but I'm not kidding myself - I know they are all so bad :ph34r:

Merg - I saw your post on another forum (they have some great conversations there too) about keto - sounds like we are on the same path.  I've been reading some lately and seriously considering dabbling in that.  I am reading an excellent book now - The Art and Science of Low Carb Living by Phinney and Volek.  It has tons of great info.  Have read part of Keto clarity but need to go back and re-read.  I think the hardest part will be changing my breakfast - I love my sausage, sweet potato hash :wacko:

My goal this week: back to the gym on a regular basis.  Been slackin - time to get serious.  I know I feel so much better when I workout so time to do it!

I too am reading The Art and Science of Low Carb Living. Very interesting read. Debunks all the low fat/high carb bunk! I really do believe I am one of those who just plain needs to stay away from carbs. That said, I did get some carb-y food at the winter farmer's market yesterday in addition to taters and carrots. It won't be following me into tomorrow though. The more I read of that book, the more I'm convinced.

I'm working on getting back to the gym. It's been a long time. My plan is to get there this afternoon. I signed up online about 10 days ago and have yet to venture in. It's the same gym I belonged to a couple years ago. Just need a bit of a push to get there...

Nancy - did you make it to the gym? If so then you absolutely rock :)   There is no way I'm leaving my cocoon on a Sunday afternoon.  I do plan on going in the AM - my usual routine is work out 6-7AM and start work at 8:00.  However, my boss decided to start our day tomorrow at 9:00 since he'll be up late watching Super Bowl so I have almost been tempted to use that as a excuse to sleep in since I don't watch the super bowl myself.  No more excuses - we are going to reach this goal together. I have eaten some "junk" today and can feel it :ph34r:

Nancy - did you make it to the gym? If so then you absolutely rock :)   There is no way I'm leaving my cocoon on a Sunday afternoon.  I do plan on going in the AM - my usual routine is work out 6-7AM and start work at 8:00.  However, my boss decided to start our day tomorrow at 9:00 since he'll be up late watching Super Bowl so I have almost been tempted to use that as a excuse to sleep in since I don't watch the super bowl myself.  No more excuses - we are going to reach this goal together. I have eaten some "junk" today and can feel it :ph34r:

Yes I did! I figure I'll get a start on making it a habit, and then move it to mornings. I'm not usually one to leave the house at that time on a Sunday, but I had to get it done before my shower. I have a busy week, but I'm thinking Tuesday after work, and Saturday morning. We'll see how it goes after that. I need to get some weight training in--not just cardio!

Anybody know why I'm not getting the link to go to new posts? It's been on other threads, but isn't showing on this one. Weird!

Way to go Nancy.  Sounds like you have a good plan.  Strength training is so important.  I pretty much do cardio for cardiovascular health - have brought my resting heart rate down from mid-high 80s to low 60/high 50s in the last couple of years.  In the past I spent a lot of time on cardio and trying to maximize calorie burn thinking it would lead to weight loss - wasted effort for that purpose.   I feel like I need some kind of fitness goal but not sure what.  I'm not a runner and, at 54, not sure that I want to start now.  I need to somehow see that my efforts in the gym are translating into functional fitness.  Any ideas would be welcome.

Ok, crew mates....educate me: what is NSV?

Hsheffield: I discovered black cod/sablefish from the guys who sell frozen Alaskan seafood at our farmers mkt. the Mkt is closed now until the first of April, but I bought a "share" from them to get me through the winter. It included sablefish/black cod, a delicious and unusual white salmon, and a bit of halibut. The quality of their fish is astonishing and for once I actually like preparing and eating it. I wish it were line-caught, but I believe their practices are fairly sustainable. Really yummy. And, like you, I have, from time to time, allowed myself to binge on compliant foods. It always reminds me that I have a ways to go on getting my relationship to food and nutrition to a better place...but I am more comfortable now, after 3 Whole30s, that it is a journey and I am getting somewhere better.

SO GLAD you ditched the diet sodas. When I think of what I put in my mouth as information for my body, I wonder what in the world my body must have made of the years of Diet Coke (and TAB-yes, I am that old) I used to drink! yikes?

Bpaitsel: I like the way you are moderating your HRT based on symptoms...so wise to listen to your body and respond, rather than flood it with hormones when it may not need them constantly....of course, I am super careful about that stuff having had breast cancer a couple of times...so HRT was never an option for me...and I do what I can to counter the effects of my body being a ZEE....zero estrogen environment...which is a bit of a struggle, but, blessedly, I never had HUGE hot flash issues.

Thanks for your note about the ketogenic way of eating. I am interested primarily because my cholesterol went up with my first w30 and has remained up. My HDL is good, but LDL is higher than the doctors want and the total is over 250. I would like to mak som changes to impact that...maybe keto is an answer? I trust your and Nancy's judgement about th book and will purchase a copy. Some of the links I am following online make me pretty nervous about the science behind them....knowing VVERY WELL how limited science is in getting us to wisdom. At the same time, I do not want to make significant changes that will have a negative impact, obviously.

Fortunately, my stockpiled sweet potato supply from last summer is now almost gone....mice in the garage enjoy some of them....so I will be looking to lighten up the amount of sweet taters in the breakfast hash....and maybe go off a bit more in th direction of greens and sausage or eggs...but I have LOVEDour hash recipe! Also, am still receiving probably two more boxes of Florida grapefruit which I Derek for monthly delivery through April, I think. I can give SOME away, but these puppies are expensive...not to mention delicious....so I will have a hard time cutting them out entirely to be low carb...but, I haven't read the book yet, so perhaps my motivation will be increased when I do. Would love to hear more from you and Nancy about what you think...and also how well you have done getting out to move more....so important to our well being!

Crimsann, thanks for your rods on encouragement and off to help with the blog. Gotta get though my big speech on Thursday, and then I move on to tackling that goal. I am going to use a planning tool to help hold myself accountable....will copy along the link in a later post.

Cheers everyone!

Hey, bpaitsel and Nancy....

Just a word about fitness from moi. My goals, at 63, are pretty modest. I want, mainly, to have some regular fitness practices a normal part of virtually every day, and I keep them rather simple and adjustable to the time I have available.

Basically my current regimen is walking 3-4 miles per day, typically in the morning before I go to work, although sometimes I squeeze in a walk at lunchtime at work, or take a conference call on th road and all while I do that. On the weekends, I usually walk a greate distance. Just doing that regularly has really changed my legs over the course of a number of months.

Before I walk, I do ten to fifteen minutes of easy yoga, just to wake up my body. Yes, this has me getting up around 5:30 and usually not done with it all until 8, but I have an easy commute to work and a somewhat flexible work schedule. We also have a shower in our building at work, so I can shower there if I don't have too much fussing to do with hair, etc....and this pretty much requires that breakfast be made in advance and portable and eaten at my desk as my computer fires up.

I also notice that my patterns change with th seasons and the daylight. I find it FAR EASIER to get out of bed early in the Spring and Summer mornings to take a long walk than it is in the winter...but, once I have th right warm clothes and get into the habit, an early morning walk is much more possible for me - assuming it isn't icy- even in the winter...and, of course, I have my two goofy four legged buddies who really appreciate it when we go for walks....one at a time, since they are so big.

Anyway, I don't do weight training no aside from a little body weight only work in th yoga, and Pilates once a week. I could definitely b in better shape, but I feel like this modest program is working for me. I know you can find something that works for you too...just needs to become routine...a normal and enjoyable part of your days.

Good morning! Off to the gym for water aerobics and yoga this morning. Tomorrow it's strength training and SilverSneakers. It's very important for older people to do some kind of strength training so their muscles stay strong and they don't fall. You don't have to go to the gym, you can get some inexpensive exercise bands, do body weight exercises using a wall or stairs, etc. Yoga is excellent for everyone. I started with chair yoga, then moved up to gentle yoga and now I do power yoga. I wish I had started it years ago. I've been doing it about 5 years now and a class is 1-1/2 hours. There are so many free exercise videos you can do at home there is no excuse not to do something. You do need to switch things around occasionally or your body becomes so used to doing it, it becomes very efficient at it and burns fewer calories.

Nancy, congratulations on making it to the gym. I schedule my exercise just like any other appointment and put it on my calendar.

Merg, a NSV is a non-scale victory. We have a lovely walking trail through our development. I have COPD so can't walk outside when it's too cold or too hot. We have a mall that opens at 7:00 am just for walkers (no stores open). A lot of us go there.

Merg - thanks for the encouragement on the HRT.  When I had not been taking it very long I tried a couple of times to stop it.  It went very badly.  But I also think a lot of it had to do with the fact that I was eating stuff I was intolerant of - namely gluten.  I had gotten to the point where I had a lot of anxiety and trying to stop HRT would make it exponentially worse.  This anxiety was probably the source of some job changes that maybe didn't even need to happen.  Anyway, when stopping gluten, my anxiety went back to normal - I used to be and now am back to my very laid-back self!  Since weaning from the HRT this time - no return of the anxiety - yay!  I think that I have just been on it so long now that my body is ready to be without it.  I hope so.

As far as the keto, I think it is something to research thoroughly for sure.  Probably not tolerated by everyone.  The Paleo Mom used to have and still might have some info on her website about the disadvantages of keto.  Many years ago I did  Atkins for a short time and then a couple of years ago I got the new book, which is co-authored by the same authors as the Art and Science of Low Carb Living.  I think that even if not in actual ketosis I like to stay more on the low-carb end of things - I just feel better.  I have read some stories of people having bad experiences with keto.  I need to have my bloodwork done - haven't done that in a couple of years.  Several years ago my triglycerides were WAAAAY high - that's probably when I started researching nutrition because I wanted to see why - went on the American Heart Association website thinking they were high due to fat intake.  Guess what - plainly stated there it was due to excess carbs. :o   Now it all makes sense!

Susan - good job on the fitness end.  Mix it up and keep it fun!

A person at work today overheard me talking about a paleo recipe I had made and they started asking me questions about paleo, etc.  I get so excited when someone that could really benefit from a diet change shows interest!

Just popping on to say hello as it's been longer than I like to go without checking in.  I spent a rather stressful weekend gearing up for an all day camping out at the car dealership worrying over my aging "baby"...turning ten this year and with the commute I put it through.  I am pretty sure I'm the poster child most days for control freak so there is nothing like handing over the keys and then waiting for a damage assessment to put me on edge.  It took even longer than I had anticipated, so happily I had taken my laptop and tried to drown my sorrows in an online game with somewhat mixed results because every sales guy in the vicinity wanted to watch and ask questions.  LOL!  I ended up being there all day and edging right up to the point of "might as well make a down payment" before it was all said and done but the changes are dramatic. 

Unfortunately nothing they did is going to make me any happier with driving in tomorrow as it's snowing outside.  Why, oh why, must it?!  So, food-wise I'm good, mood-wise I'm less so. 

I tried that lemon chicken over the weekend but haven't tasted it yet, it would have been dinner tonight but I wasn't up for it and haven't had a chance to make what I had planned for lunch tomorrow so that was an easy swap.  No report yet on the "sour cream" as the grocery stocked nothing but roasted nuts this week, I suspect with an eye towards Super Bowl crowds.  I need to read over the recipe again, but I was sure roasted/salted wasn't what was called for.  So it's going to be an interesting week of makeshift meals and that makes the dicey weather even more annoying.  Hoping to be off to bed early to just pull the blanket over my head and try to unwind.  To that end I'm fighting the cup of coffee I desperately want to cozy up to.

Why is it always the last thing you need is the one thing you want?!  :blink:

Archived