I'm ready. Start Feb. 8th

mndellosa

Happy Day 1! How is it going for everyone?

I've had a lot of "opportunities" for NSVs between Day 0 and Day 1. My first NSV, as a takeout-connoisseur, was learning the grocery store during my 2+hour search. (Side note: I think grocery stores should have apps with maps of the store so you can search for what you're looking for and it will use GPS to show you the way to the item. Total game changer!) However, my first "opportunity" to create a NSV was when my grocery bill came to $400+ for all the ingredients for days 1-7!!! And if you're wondering, yes, I got all the food to the register in one cart, but it took two carts to get to my car. And four trips into the house. Anyways, I about had a heart attack at the register. I am following the sample plan for days 1-7 and I also had to stock up on a lot of the basics (spices, herbs, vinegars, etc.). Is my grocery bill way out of the ballpark of others??  I went home yesterday and compared prices with another grocery store, and found ways to save about $30. NSV?

My meal prep took 3+ hours last night - is that normal, or am I just a huge rookie in the kitchen? I had to fight with the food processor for a while, and my "Basic Mayo" didn't come out as it should've...I think I bought the wrong kind of mustard powder, and poured the oil in too quickly. However, the frittata came out lovely and despite having to eat while getting ready this morning, Meal 1 was a success! I ended up not having time to make the protein salad, and the mayo was a bust anyways, so I had leftover breakfast for lunch and made it work. Woo!

Hopefully, I'll figure out this whole grocery shopping on a budget and cooking thing quickly. Any tips are appreciated. :)

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello fellow Whole30ers,

I was going to start Wednesday, but decided to go ahead and start today, YAY!. This is my 3rd round of whole30. R1-2/2014, R2-2/2015. i'm looking forward to connecting and sharing this experience with everyone. For the most part I ate mostly paleo until this past summer. I could feel the change in my energy level, mood, and weight gain. I'm looking forward to getting back on track. I'm not an expert by any means, but will try to share my previous experiences to help anyone that needs support :)

I started today too.  It is my first time trying a 'diet' - ever.  I am 40 years old and work out several times a week, but have plateaued on weight loss and am totally and completely addicted to sugar.  Good luck to you all - we can do it! 

hi Guys,

yes I have also started today - tea without milk is going to take some getting used to. 

Put on 7 pounds since christmas so really keen to get back on track as i lost over 27 pounds since last summer. 

Guess i have not been in a happy place and once things start to slip.....well they just slide don't they, 

So as you can see from my name i am a chef on a 108ft motor yacht cooking lots of stuff with cream and cheese and butter for our owners and a mix of stuff for our international crew. I am not expecting it to be easy but am going to give it my very best shot and lets face it , if it were easy we would have done it before.

So best of luck everyone  - we CAN and WILL do this. whats 30 days and its about to be lent as well!! Maybe this will be the year I will stick to my lent resolutions. Pancakes for the crew tomorrow night and I will wander off with my peppermint tea while they eat them all!!

Will try and join the Facebook page as well.

So far having a great first day. Breakfast was good. I premade egg/compliant sausage/and veggie muffins and had 2 of those and half an avacado.

Lunch was out at a restraunt. I ordered greek salad no feta,no dressing and i brought my own homemade balsamic dressing and added some cashews.

Supper tonight is Balsamic Beef Roast, sauteed veggies and sweet potatoes.

Im not following the meal plan for the first week im finding it easier to j i st plan my own menue. I definitly think preparing my menu for the week and prepping a lot ahead of time has and will continue to make a huge difference.

Off to my workout now. Would love to join the facebook group too but cant seem to find it.

• Moderators

*question: my friend was saying the "rules" are a little more lax now with store bought almond milk but I wasn't able to find anything on that? Any ideas? 

It's not that the rules are more lax, but that there are more technically compliant options out there now, as several companies were pressured by consumers to remove things like carrageenan from their formulas. If you can find an almond milk (or cashew or any other milk) that doesn't have anything that violates the rules, you can have it. It's still often easier to find canned coconut milk that's compliant, and the compliant versions of it tend to have far fewer ingredients than the compliant cartons of almond or coconut milk. You are also, as always, welcome to make your own almond or other nut milk -- google it for recipes if you're interested, and just remember to leave out sweeteners or vanilla extract during Whole30.

• Moderators

Happy Day 1! How is it going for everyone?

I've had a lot of "opportunities" for NSVs between Day 0 and Day 1. My first NSV, as a takeout-connoisseur, was learning the grocery store during my 2+hour search. (Side note: I think grocery stores should have apps with maps of the store so you can search for what you're looking for and it will use GPS to show you the way to the item. Total game changer!) However, my first "opportunity" to create a NSV was when my grocery bill came to $400+ for all the ingredients for days 1-7!!! And if you're wondering, yes, I got all the food to the register in one cart, but it took two carts to get to my car. And four trips into the house. Anyways, I about had a heart attack at the register. I am following the sample plan for days 1-7 and I also had to stock up on a lot of the basics (spices, herbs, vinegars, etc.). Is my grocery bill way out of the ballpark of others??  I went home yesterday and compared prices with another grocery store, and found ways to save about $30. NSV?

My meal prep took 3+ hours last night - is that normal, or am I just a huge rookie in the kitchen? I had to fight with the food processor for a while, and my "Basic Mayo" didn't come out as it should've...I think I bought the wrong kind of mustard powder, and poured the oil in too quickly. However, the frittata came out lovely and despite having to eat while getting ready this morning, Meal 1 was a success! I ended up not having time to make the protein salad, and the mayo was a bust anyways, so I had leftover breakfast for lunch and made it work. Woo!

Hopefully, I'll figure out this whole grocery shopping on a budget and cooking thing quickly. Any tips are appreciated. :)

The first grocery trip can be a doozy if you don't already have many spices and oils and staples like that. Future grocery bills should be smaller. As you get used to this way of eating, you'll figure out that you don't need to make different recipes for every single meal, that it's often cheaper and less time consuming to just buy whatever meat is most affordable for you, whatever vegetables are cheapest (and don't rule out frozen vegetables, either, they can be cheaper than fresh, and while I don't enjoy them as much as fresh most of the time, there are certainly times when they're useful). Many stores have online ads, or apps that list what their weekly specials are. You can check those before you go to the store and look for Whole30 recipes using what's on sale, or just look for basic cooking instructions for things, and then season them with spices you already have and know you like. It almost always works to keep it simple, like salt, pepper, onion & garlic (fresh or powdered). If it ends up a bit boring, make some sauces or dips to change up the flavors. Check out these No Recipe Required meal ideas for things you could easily keep on hand and just flavor up to suit your mood that day.

If there are recipes you do want to try, try to plan them out so that most of the recipes you make in a week make use of either spices you already have on hand, or if there's a spice or two you're going to buy for one meal, try to use it in other meals as well -- don't pick five different recipes that each contain a different spice you're going to have to buy. (I feel like I didn't explain that well, I hope it makes sense.) 

If you're up for online shopping, Amazon often has things like coconut oil or coconut milk or even spices cheaper than you can buy them in most stores. Or check stores that have bulk buy options, so you can buy just enough of a spice for a recipe, rather than a whole jar of it, if you don't think you'll be using it much. 

For mayo, if you have an immersion blender, this is by far the easiest way to make it. No drizzling, no waiting for stuff to come to room temperature. And the type of mustard powder shouldn't really make a difference -- I've used it, or mustard seeds, or plain old French's yellow mustard, or compliant dijon mustard -- they all taste different, but all work. You can vary the flavorings you use to get different flavors. I did one as a dip for a party that was roasted garlic and fresh rosemary using apple cider vinegar for my acid, and it came out so good. Curry powder makes a different flavor too, if you're in the mood for it. Dried herbs like chives and shallots and dill can give it a more ranch-like flavor. some people like it mixed with Frank's hot sauce or whatever your favorite compliant hot sauce is -- I think Tabasco makes a couple of compliant versions, and there may be others. For any of these, you can make a whole batch of mayo flavored with the seasonings, or you can make a fairly bland batch with just salt, oil, egg, and either vinegar or lemon juice, and then flavor individual servings of it to match whatever you're serving it with.

I started today too.  I was out of town most of the weekend so I don't have as much food prepped as I would have liked but I made it through today and have meals for tomorrow all planned out.  So tomorrow night I can plan for the next night and hopefully get a rhythm going in regards to prepping my meals in advance.

I made the Whole 30 mayo with the immersion blender, just the basic one with grapeseed oil (couldn't find "light" olive oil at the store- only EVOO which some recipes say is too strongly flavored?), an egg, salt and juice from half a lemon.  I tasted just a tiny bit and it tasted weird.  Not sure what was "wrong" about it, but I'm hoping I adjust to the flavor quickly because my meal plans will include it in my various protein salads.

My personal goal is to overcome my sugar cravings.  I am SO reliant on sugar/sweets for a lot of "reasons": to signal the end of a meal/dessert, to reward myself, to relax after a stressful day.  Today I did pretty well, although I did finish my dinner with a handful of dried banana chips.

• Moderators

I started today too.  I was out of town most of the weekend so I don't have as much food prepped as I would have liked but I made it through today and have meals for tomorrow all planned out.  So tomorrow night I can plan for the next night and hopefully get a rhythm going in regards to prepping my meals in advance.

I made the Whole 30 mayo with the immersion blender, just the basic one with grapeseed oil (couldn't find "light" olive oil at the store- only EVOO which some recipes say is too strongly flavored?), an egg, salt and juice from half a lemon.  I tasted just a tiny bit and it tasted weird.  Not sure what was "wrong" about it, but I'm hoping I adjust to the flavor quickly because my meal plans will include it in my various protein salads.

My personal goal is to overcome my sugar cravings.  I am SO reliant on sugar/sweets for a lot of "reasons": to signal the end of a meal/dessert, to reward myself, to relax after a stressful day.  Today I did pretty well, although I did finish my dinner with a handful of dried banana chips.

Taste your grapeseed oil, just a tiny bit, and see if it has a weird taste. I don't think it should, but I've never really tasted grapeseed oil on its own. But, if your oil has a distinct flavor, especially if you ever get some that has gone rancid, you will taste that in your mayo. Most people who try making mayo with EVOO do find it too strong tasting, sometimes with a bitterness to it. Light olive oil is pretty easy to find in grocery stores around here -- usually there's Bertolli or Pompeiian brands, maybe one or two others, they're almost always in clear plastic bottles, not glass. I actually find that my local grocery store's brand works just fine and have never noticed any weird flavor to it. 

You might try mixing your mayo with different spices and herbs, or even mixing it with mustard or hot sauce, if you don't care for the flavor, and see if that helps.

For the sugar cravings, instead of finishing dinner with fruit, especially dried fruit which can be even sweeter tasting than fresh, have some olives or pickles to signal the end of dinner, or just go brush your teeth. The more you give in to the craving for something sweet, the longer it will stick around. 

Today (9th feb) is my day 1 - this is my second whole30, I was so happy when I completed my first that I didn't so reintroductions until Christmas (4 months later) when I just basically ate and drank everything my husband did... since then I've struggled to get back to a reasonable baseline of clean eating and have had a couple of unpleasant sugar related incidents (most recently involving literally 6 naked bars and 250g of dates....sigh...) I realised that this is because I am not planing to eat enough, and remembered that during my first whole 30 I did actually eat the pre-work out snacks, etc. which I have not recently done, also I stayed away from dried fruit and 'compliant' fruit bars. So at least another 30 days for me :) I'm not trying to lose weight particularly, I am trying to shrug off the constant feeling that I should eat less and weigh less - I am not overweight (116lb, 5'4") and run ~30 miles a week, strength train twice a week (circuit training and climbing at the local wall). For some reason I always 'want' to plan to eat ~1250 calories, instead of the ~2200 I require - then  get all sad and disappointed when I end up stuffing my face with sugary fruits, etc.... Not clever - but I am going to beat it this time :)

The shopping and cooking does get easier, it's a lot harder when you've got nothing already compliant in the cupboard, but it can also teach you a lot about what you've already been eating (I was really shocked at what was in my expensive spices, fillers and sugars).

It does get easier, much easier, don't panic if it feel hard or you feel like everything takes you ages. You're doing new things and your muscle memory takes time to build up. We do a lot of this stuff on auto-pilot, so having to think about it can be a bit of mental work, but even making the same recipe twice helps.

For anyone who is finding meal planning or shopping a bit tricky, I highly recommend Mel Joulwan's Hot Plates. It's not really a recipe as such, but it's really easy, flexible and quick. I really like the Sunshine Sauce.

Good Morning! Hope everyone had a good Day 1 and is excited and ready for Day 2! I have started waking up about 45 minutes earlier than the rest of the family so I can make my breakfast and eat in PEACE and it is amazing- totally worth it! I'm able to pay attention to my breakfast, which is something that rarely happened before.  

Yesterday went pretty well for me. I did have the craving for a snack at around 3pm (something I'm hoping to wean off during these 30 days).  I had an apple and almond butter and it totally hit the spot for me (which was surprising, actually... since I've been used to crackers and cheese or something noncompliant in the past!).  

I'm proud of us for doing this, and I'm thankful to have a group to connect with.  Have a great day! 

Hi!  I know that I'm late to the party, but I started yesterday also and would love to join your group. 

I shopped at Whole Foods and spent probably the most amount of money I've ever spent on produce.  I asked my husband last night when he opened the frig if he felt like he was in a produce department at a grocery store!

My first initial struggle is no cream in my coffee.  While shopping at Whole Foods, I purchased a cup of coffee and they had Coconut Milk available so I added it and it did not alter the color of my coffee whatsoever.  Later while shopping I ran across Coconut Coffee creamer so I'm hoping that will be better.  Of course, I'm also an extreme sugar addict so going without even Stevia, Splenda or other sugar substitute in my tea has been aggravating.  But, succeeding on this program is paramount to me! 

I hope everyone has a great 2nd day!

Hi, I started yesterday, February 8th and have now gotten through day 1!  I checked to see what my end date will be and it's March 8th- my 61st birthday.  What a good birthday present. I put 30 post it notes around the bathroom mirror and removed the first one this morning. Not sure it's a good idea- every time I looked at the mirror yesterday, I thought, hey, why are there still so many days to go? I mean, I've been good for hours! We'll get this!

Hi, I started yesterday, February 8th and have now gotten through day 1!  I checked to see what my end date will be and it's March 8th- my 61st birthday.  What a good birthday present. I put 30 post it notes around the bathroom mirror and removed the first one this morning. Not sure it's a good idea- every time I looked at the mirror yesterday, I thought, hey, why are there still so many days to go? I mean, I've been good for hours! We'll get this!

Wow, that's awesome, congratulations.  I like the idea of putting post-it notes. View it as, one less post-it, I'm making progress.  Rather than " I still have so many more to go!" :)

Archived