Hi all! Starting Feb 22nd!

katieblue

Muez - Thanks for the beet bake recipe!  I hadn't thought of combining them with fennel.  I love the taste of fennel.

TerraZ - I hear you on the scar!  I can see mine, too!

I made a really excellent breakfast casserole last night for this morning and tomorrow morning.  I'm not a huge fan of scrambled eggs, but this is a winner:

http://www.slenderkitchen.com/recipe/sausage-and-butternut-squash-breakfast-casserole

If you have access to a Whole Foods, I suggest using their mild Italian chicken sausage from the fresh meat case in it.

I'm not feeling so tired again today.  Maybe I'm past that stage.  Woo hoo!  katieblue - You'll get there!

I can't believe we're almost 1/3 of the way finished!

• Replies 441
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey guys,

I slept the whole night through, which is rare and amazing. I still feel tire dish, but my mood and energy are consistent - if that makes sense. I don't have big spikes of mood, or feel worse at 3:00pm like before. I went out for dinner last night and had salmon and broccoli. I can't make fish in my house due to other's allergies/dramatic reactions about not liking it. So was nice to have some. 

I wanted to share a recipe I made, oven fried chicken. You make a crust of almond meal. I also through in coconut. It is so good. 

http://www.everydaymaven.com/2013/paleo-oven-fried-chicken/

Galaxigrl, so happy you're not tired anymore, either! Seems like a lot of us are coming out of it! I hope I join you soon!!

That's awesome on the sleep, Ramonax!

And thanks for the recipe shares! They both sound delicious!! :)

I totally wish there was a Whole Foods near me so I could buy some sausage! Making it isn't hard, but I just feel like ALL WE'VE BEEN DOING is cooking and it would be cool for someone else to make them for me. :P

)

I totally wish there was a Whole Foods near me so I could buy some sausage! Making it isn't hard, but I just feel like ALL WE'VE BEEN DOING is cooking and it would be cool for someone else to make them for me. :P

I couldn't agree more! I admit to squealing in the grocery store when I found BOTH compliant guac AND salsa! I felt "yes!!! I don't have to make it!!"

I had the simplest of lunches today but it was so good!  This may become my go-to on days when I'm running short on time because it's ready in just a couple of minutes. 

1 avocado, juice of 1/2 lemon, diced yellow onion (to taste), 1 can drained tuna, salt, black pepper:   Mix it all together and that's it.  I had it on a bed of baby spinach leaves and finished off lunch with a pear.  There's still half of the tuna mix left over but not for long!

Hope you all have had a good day!

Today was the first day of cravings that I have had - I'm not hungry, but have this urge to grab food and snack. Not even for anything specific (popcorn? chocolate? ) Maybe because my husband made banana bread and the whole house smelled so good when I came home, or because we are actually going to sit together and watch T.V.(rarely happens - we are always busy in evenings). I don't know what the trigger is, but I want to snack. So many unconscious processes, eh? 

in cooking news, I made the curry sauce and slathered baked yams and broccoli with it - baked chicken breast (lemon and olive oil). simple and good.

Muez - Thanks for the beet bake recipe!  I hadn't thought of combining them with fennel.  I love the taste of fennel.

Hazelnuts are really beautiful with the beet/fennel combo.. I love me some beets.  I also like to pickle them with some ginger and orange.  Gives them some zip!

That breakfast casserole looks yummy, 

1 avocado, juice of 1/2 lemon, diced yellow onion (to taste), 1 can drained tuna, salt, black pepper:   Mix it all together and that's it.  I had it on a bed of baby spinach leaves and finished off lunch with a pear.  There's still half of the tuna mix left over but not for long!

canned fish + avocado + lemon = one of my favs!  Bummed the last batch of avocados I bought weren't very good.  If I don't have avocado, I dollop on some mayo and add a good sprinkle of curry powder, and sometimes I'll scoop that up with slices of apple or pear..I love salty/sweet!

Last night I made a big pan of taco meat with tons of veggies in it.  Scrambled it in some eggs with mushrooms for breakfast, had a huge taco salad for lunch, and ate it with some sweet potato, avocado, and lime for dinner.  

10 days already!  I'm feeling great, I will definitely be keeping some of these new habits around after we are done with this, like eating a nutritious breakfast every day.

I just found out I was drawn to harvest another bull moose this fall!!  There's only a handful of permits given for moose a year, and it's pretty rare someone gets drawn two years in a row.  Looks like I'll have another freezer full of wild meat!!  :D

I am def. going to try adding hazelnuts to the beets, sounds so good - thanks Ksea. I also am a big canned fish fan. I am going to try the avocado combo. Wow about the moose! I have been thinking about hunting myself but don't really know where to start.

I am also sleeping pretty much the whole night through too, Ramonax which is really unusual for me as I am usually a midnight snack and read a novel person.

Katyblue- It is so interesting to hear you are having the same experience with your eyes. I am noticing them being a little yellow/red too, and puffy, but def. lighter. No, I'm not Italian :) more northern European.

I feel so groggy and puffy today so far but I think it is my version of the bloaty dont-fit-in-your-pants phase. I have been having some strong cravings, esp. when I stay up later than usual. Last night I tried making a lamb stew but really messed it up! The meat I got was bone in so my husband and I were picking through all these bones and bits of gristle amongst our stew and not enjoying the meal at all, not quite sure where I went wrong, I am hoping to become a more adventurous meat chef, as I feel I only know how to make simple meats, but need to research more before I try it I think!!

Avocado mixed in with canned tuna is amazing!! I like to dice up some celery and toss it in there, too, and sometimes some raisins or walnuts. I can imagine curry powder would make it even better! 

And mixing in leftover taco meat with eggs... Oh, mama. I'm done. :wub:

Thank you all for sharing your recipe ideas! I'll be trying this cashew chicken tonight!

ksea, I have never tried moose! Is there any meat a little more common that you can compare it to? Congrats on getting the permit again!

Also, we're 1/3 of the way done!!!

Muez, I didn't even see this post because it was on a new page, sorry! Wasn't ignoring you on purpose. :) You'll definitely have to keep me updated on the status of your eyes - as weird as that sounds! Lol!

Mine are super dark again today because I woke up with crazy anxiety at 3:30 am and wasn't able to get back to sleep. I was also stressing over my normally loose-fitting gym clothes being REALLY tight on me... However, I DID get in an awesome workout today, so I'm back to feeling more positive now, and I have a surprising amount of energy! (Maybe it's the coffee?) I know that if you're going to quit, most people quit on these days here, and we are SO better than that!!

I hope that you feel less groggy and puffy as the day goes on!

I had the simplest of lunches today but it was so good!  This may become my go-to on days when I'm running short on time because it's ready in just a couple of minutes. 

Hope you all have had a good day!

That tuna salad sound similar to the Mexican Tuna that's in the book.  I made that last week and will be making it again.  I think it's almost the same except it had lime and cilantro for a Mexican flavor.

Today was the first day of cravings that I have had - I'm not hungry, but have this urge to grab food and snack. Not even for anything specific (popcorn? chocolate? ) Maybe because my husband made banana bread and the whole house smelled so good when I came home, or because we are actually going to sit together and watch T.V.(rarely happens - we are always busy in evenings). I don't know what the trigger is, but I want to snack. So many unconscious processes, eh? 

in cooking news, I made the curry sauce and slathered baked yams and broccoli with it - baked chicken breast (lemon and olive oil). simple and good.

I had cravings for the first time yesterday, too!  I don't know if the food I had made just wasn't filling enough or maybe it was the lack of coffee (since that's an appetite suppressant) or maybe it was the chocolate my boss brought in for our team or maybe it was because work was kind of boring.  But, yeah, I was hungry/snacky between meals.  But I held out between breakfast and lunch and then had some beets and pineapple between lunch and dinner.  What's the curry sauce you made?

Hazelnuts are really beautiful with the beet/fennel combo.. I love me some beets.  I also like to pickle them with some ginger and orange.  Gives them some zip!

That breakfast casserole looks yummy, 

canned fish + avocado + lemon = one of my favs!  Bummed the last batch of avocados I bought weren't very good.  If I don't have avocado, I dollop on some mayo and add a good sprinkle of curry powder, and sometimes I'll scoop that up with slices of apple or pear..I love salty/sweet!

Last night I made a big pan of taco meat with tons of veggies in it.  Scrambled it in some eggs with mushrooms for breakfast, had a huge taco salad for lunch, and ate it with some sweet potato, avocado, and lime for dinner.  

10 days already!  I'm feeling great, I will definitely be keeping some of these new habits around after we are done with this, like eating a nutritious breakfast every day.

I just found out I was drawn to harvest another bull moose this fall!!  There's only a handful of permits given for moose a year, and it's pretty rare someone gets drawn two years in a row.  Looks like I'll have another freezer full of wild meat!!  :D

I like hazelnuts!  I'll have to try adding those, too.  Congrats on being chose to harvest a bull moose!  I agree that I will be keeping some of these habits after the 30 days.

Avocado mixed in with canned tuna is amazing!! I like to dice up some celery and toss it in there, too, and sometimes some raisins or walnuts. I can imagine curry powder would make it even better! 

And mixing in leftover taco meat with eggs... Oh, mama. I'm done. :wub:

Thank you all for sharing your recipe ideas! I'll be trying this cashew chicken tonight!

ksea, I have never tried moose! Is there any meat a little more common that you can compare it to? Congrats on getting the permit again!

Let me know how the cashew chicken turns out.  The recipe sounds delicious!  Can't believe we're already on day 11!

galaxigrl - the curry sauce in the whole 30 book. I can't find an online version - but is 1/2 onion fried, add 1.5 tsp of minced ginger, then on garlic clove, then 1.5 tsp yellow curry powder and 1.5 tsp red curry powder (I just added yellow, cause that is all I had) cook it all up a bit, add 2 cups full fat coconut milk and simmer it down for about 8 minutes (simmer, not full boil). Sauce should thicken. Take off the burner and add joice and rind of 1/2 lime (though I added juice of one lime as we get sad sad limes here). Use it on roasted veggies, or steamed broccoli or kale - or on anything. Super easy and makes foods taste way richer than they might really be! Also adds the fat. sooooo good.

Katieblu - me too. My stupid work pants are tight and they aren't normally this tight. I don't remember this happening during my last experience. it's annoying.

That cashew chicken looks soooo good.  Alas, I have no coconut aminos or arrowroot.  Maybe I'll try it without, and add some mushrooms to replace the umami flavor of the aminos? hmmm..

Moose is like a cross between beef and venison.  It is little stronger in flavor than beef, but not gamey, especially if aged properly, and harvesting before rut is an absolute necessity!  I think that what the animal has been eating also has a lot of influence on the flavor of the meat.  I've had elk and venison from desert-y areas, and it tasted nothing like the venison we have around here!

In the meantime, I'm making this Coconut Curry Butternut Squash Soup.  I'll use stock instead of water and add some ginger to the mix, and garnish with cashews rather than pepitas.  Feeling rather energetic today, I think some of it also has to do with our days getting longer quickly, and it's been sunny and warm all week!  I'm thinking of doing another Whole30 next fall, before I go into the EAT ALL THE THINGS/hibernation mode.  

The cashew chicken came out kinda sticky and gloppy, I think I may have added a bit too much arrowroot! If you make it without, the sauce probably won't thicken the same way, but it WILL be delicious! I had to buy the coconut aminos on Amazon, I couldn't find it anywhere in stores.

I definitely hope I get to try moose someday! It sounds like it's awesome!

Also, love that you're already thinking about your next whole30! I've already resolved that I am probably going to keep this up the best I can even when this one is over. Even with all the bloating going on, I still feel emotionally better than I have in a LONG time!

YOU GUYS. This week has definitely thrown me some curve balls - had to navigate eating out unexpectedly three times over the last couple of days, and today was just a total mess at work. My usual way of coping would be to come home and open up the red wine and/or have a cigarette, but I didn't. I have to say, I've had some weak points over the last couple days...but I'm hanging in and I have 10 days down. 20 to go!

Kept it simple tonight - pan roasted chicken thighs (I had two, they were small), kale sauteed with garlic and mushrooms, and a sweet potato with ghee. I'm planning to get to bed early and hope tomorrow is a bit calmer!

In the meantime, I'm making this Coconut Curry Butternut Squash Soup.  I'll use stock instead of water and add some ginger to the mix, and garnish with cashews rather than pepitas.  Feeling rather energetic today, I think some of it also has to do with our days getting longer quickly, and it's been sunny and warm all week!  I'm thinking of doing another Whole30 next fall, before I go into the EAT ALL THE THINGS/hibernation mode.  

Ksea-- are you using fresh butternut squash? Is it findable this time of the year?

ksea - isn't the light lovely. I can see when I wake up now and light well into the evening!

Marjanill - I have been wondering about butternut squash and just found some at the grocery store. We have Speghetti and acorn as well. though I have learned through this whole30 that I don't. like. acorn. squash! *shudder*

CGinDC - your job sounds stressful. I'm Canadian, so take this with a grain of salt, but I always assume anyone who lives/works in DC has job stress like a character on House of Cards. ;) good for you for getting through. You mentioned smoking, did you quit smoking with the whole30 too? that is hard core!

The cashew chicken looks good, but that does seem like a lot of arrowroot powder?!?! I wonder if you could cook it without, them just cook down some of the liquid over the stove later? 

today was so so for me. didn't get to eat lunch till quite late, so was over hungry and had related headache all day. The baby is floppy and cuddly in a way that makes me think he is about to get sick. eeeek. I'm going to bed early just in case. My husband made me salmon cakes, except he made them perfect circles, think and crispy. I don't know how? I've been making them, probably once every 2 weeks for the last 6 months. He makes them once and they look AND taste better. And he hates salmon (he is one of the complainers if I make fresh fish) so it was a nice surprise. He loves me when I do while30 as I am way less crabby all day long. 

Archived