Hi all! Starting Feb 22nd!

katieblue

Day 18 is almost over!  I can't believe it!  The spaghetti squash w/the tomato sauce and ground beef was a huge hit with my husband, and my 14 year-old daughter, who is not doing the W30, had 2 helpings.  I loved it too!  I was a bit skeptical about the spaghetti squash, but it really was tasty, and a great substitute for the usual enriched (cheap, 1.00 a box) spaghetti noodles I would have normally used.  We've already decided we will repeat that recipe, even after we're done with W30.

As far as reintroduction, I'm going to start with WINE!  haha, and coffee creamer. (Still not loving the coconut milk, sorry).  My husband keeps saying we should just keep  doing the W30, but I think after 30 days, I will be ready for a break.  I don't plan to go hog wild on any one thing, and will honestly keep making a lot of the W30 recipes, but I miss going out to eat at least once a week, and treating myself to a yummy dessert once in a while.  Not to mention, I really miss just a teaspoon of sugar in my tea!  

Oh, and I am feeling much better today, yay!

Wendy

• Replies 441
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for the support Ramonax, KalinaM and Ksea ! I needed that.

That makes sense Ramonax about the sweet cravings and the calories and I am going to pay closer attention to that. It especially makes sense as I don't even really like ice cream usually. I have started to carry around a tote bag when I go out that is full of leftovers and compliant food, and the dining hall is just going to have to be ok if I bring that there too to supplement my salads. 

That is a great reminder to make food ahead of time also, I think what I will do this weekend is cook a lot on Sunday when most people are out of town, and then portion it out for the week. I  started a "vision board" on my door today when I was having the bad cravings, and wrote up yummy whole30 things to eat, and that is really helping! Every time I miss something I look up at all the delicious food ideas and forget about it.

The slow cooker pork shoulder recipe sounds amazing Ksea! I am totally going to try that. Who knew you could bake in a crock pot! I am going to experiment with sweet potatoes tomorrow I think.

Galaxigrl, how did your husband do at the doctor? I really hope he's feeling better!! I can't imagine something like that could be from eating foods like these, but I'm not a doctor...

Muez, so sorry to hear about the kitchen takeover! You definitely have a frustrating situation and I'm sorry you're so tired, too. I hope that things turn around for you soon. Definitely a big fan of the making as much food as I can ahead of time myself and then just nuking it - I'm also a grad student and I definitely get the having to scramble sometimes!! And we only have 11 days left and then if you want ice cream you can make the choice for yourself - or not! :)

ksea, your pork shoulder sounds amazing!! I'm such a sucker for pineapple juice. I just bought one to make carnitas and some of them are like 9-10 pounds. I know a lot of that is bone/gristle but I still feel like one shoulder is going to feed us all week!

Wendy, so glad you're feeling better! :)

Day 19!! We're nearly 2/3 done!!

I've been feeling really frustrated myself, because I feel like my clothes are actually getting tighter. It makes it hard not to focus on my weight and wonder what it is and if it's going up. :( I haven't gotten on the scale, but it's just frustrating to be so uncomfortable all day long. Even when I wear jeans a few days in a row, they're still tight. I wasn't doing this to lose weight, but I definitely don't want to be gaining it, either. I know I come from a background of really restrictive eating, so I just keep hoping that it will balance out once my body gets used to eating so much. I've been getting hungry in the mornings now when I wake up (yay!) but I'm never hungry after lunch, so after dinner I'm always super stuffed and uncomfortable and that's when I start feeling depressed.

But we are rocking it even though it's hard sometimes! I am SO proud of everyone!!

So, my husband's doctor thinks he has some form of hand, foot, and mouth disease (that's the sore throat), and that the Lipitor he takes caused the soreness in his body.  I guess Lipitor can cause soreness when you have certain types of viruses.  So, he just has to wait it out, take Advil, and go off the Lipitor for a bit.  But he woke up feeling even worse this morning.  I feel so bad for him.  Unlike most guys, he's not one to really complain when he's not feeling well, or take a lot of medicine, and he's been doing a lot of both :(.

katieblue: I'm sure my husband feels your pain.  He had to get weighed at the doctor yesterday, and he was up 4 lbs!  But I think he looks thinner, so we're believing that the doctor's scale wasn't calibrated correctly.  His doctor did say that multiple patients complained about their weight yesterday.  I also don't feel like I'm losing any weight (which IS why I wanted to do this), but I also haven't stepped on the scale.  I'm just hoping it all works out in the end!  Some of my friends are telling me they see a difference, but I don't know if they're just being nice :).

muez: I'm so proud of you for making it this far!  I don't know how you're doing it!  I think it's perfectly normal to get discouraged, but you've made it this far.  You can definitely make it to the end!  Like katieblue said, we're almost 2/3 finished!

Wendy: Glad your'e feeling better!

ksea: I LOVE Pioneer Woman but just figured none of her recipes would be compatible.  That one sounds really good!

galaxiglr Hand Foot and Mouth! I know how painful that seems to be for the kids in my life. I hope he gets through it quickly! If we were friends I would say "give him a hug for me"...but might be weird having stranger hug you. 

Katie - That is a terrible feeling. I know you read the forums too. Have you found anything that might explain what's going on? 

ksea: I LOVE pioneer Woman too!!

Muez: You can do it! I wonder what other things can scare undergraduates away from your kitchen? bad music? 

Wendy: glad you are feeling better

I am tired today. We are dog sitting and the baby is still sick and I am still sick, so at any given moment, all night long, someone was coughing or clicking around and flip flopping their ears. I keep wanting to get to tiger blood, but exhaustion/illness is making it hard. I wonder what it would be like to do this when I was off work for the month and ha d no other stress and it was summer so everyone wasn't sick the whole time. 

Galaxigrl, I'm so sorry he's suffering! :( I really hope that it passes soon.

Thank you guys for the sympathy. It felt better just to vent a little bit! I have seen a few people who seem to be experiencing bloating or weight gain, and the advice from the mods is pretty much to just keep doing what I'm doing: stick with low-FODMAP veggies because they can cause bloating and fatigue if you're sensitive to them, and just be patient and wait it out. So that, and a little venting, will have to hold me over. ;)

Ramonax, I'm sorry you're still not feeling well! I hope that it clears up soon! We're so close to being done, maybe next week the sick will go away and we'll get massive surges of tiger blood!!

So I had a strange thing happen yesterday. I've always been kind of indifferent about bananas and avocados - didn't dislike them, but never liked them that much. I rarely will eat a whole banana because after a few bites they turn me off (banana bread is another story entirely...love it). Same with avocado. I've been trying to eat more avocado though, for the healthy fats, and the last week I've had some stomach aches off and on. Well last night for dinner I had some avocado with my meal and then ate a small banana - probably the first time I've had a banana in months - and my stomach immediately hurt. Plus I got this awful pressure headache behind the eyes/nose. Same thing happens when I eat raw spinach, though that reaction is much worse and I've known about it for years so I avoid raw spinach like the plague. Does anyone notice issues like this? I guess I won't be eating whole/raw bananas again...

• Moderators

So I had a strange thing happen yesterday. I've always been kind of indifferent about bananas and avocados - didn't dislike them, but never liked them that much. I rarely will eat a whole banana because after a few bites they turn me off (banana bread is another story entirely...love it). Same with avocado. I've been trying to eat more avocado though, for the healthy fats, and the last week I've had some stomach aches off and on. Well last night for dinner I had some avocado with my meal and then ate a small banana - probably the first time I've had a banana in months - and my stomach immediately hurt. Plus I got this awful pressure headache behind the eyes/nose. Same thing happens when I eat raw spinach, though that reaction is much worse and I've known about it for years so I avoid raw spinach like the plague. Does anyone notice issues like this? I guess I won't be eating whole/raw bananas again...

Avocados and bananas are associated with latex allergy -- here's  a list of other items that are also associated with that. Could that be what's going on? I'm not sure if they have anything else in common, and spinach doesn't appear on that list, so I'm not sure that's it. 

For healthy fats, you may want to try olives, coconut, oils, or sauces and dressings like mayochimichurriMoroccan dipping sauce. You can also look for dishes that add fat in the dish to help up the fat without having to add as much as you serve -- these green beans, or curries, or even things like tuna or chicken or egg salad made with a big dollop of mayo. You may be okay with some avocado sometimes, but there are plenty of other ways to get fat without them, so if you react badly to them, there's no reason to have them all the time.

It's really insane how many different things each person can be sensitive to! I've learned that I feel a TON better without eating mushrooms and onions. Yet I don't know if it's a nightshade thing because things like tomatoes, potatoes and eggplants don't bother me, and I'm not sure it's a FODMAP thing either, because some of those I seem to be okay with. But those two are EXTREME irritants. Go figure!

galaxigrl, I'm so sorry your husband is sick with that.  I had a coxsackie virus last year and the blisters in my throat were so intense!  I really feel for him because it's such a terrible awful pain!  No joke - the only things I was able to consume for 5 days straight were vanilla ice cream and iced oolong tea with plenty of 1/2 & 1/2.  The cold cold creaminess soothed my throat and that temporary menu was with my doctor's blessing.  Trying to swallow anything else was tear-wrenching.  If I were in the midst of the W30 when that hit, I would have bailed out without a second thought and restarted when the virus was past.  There's no way I could have eaten the meats and vegetables and I'd end up trying to make it on cold coconut milk alone.  I don't mean to be discouraging but will hope for a quick recovery for him.  It's a rough illness to have.  And coxackie is usually very easily transmitted and contagious, so please take care of yourself too! 

muez, I applaud your efforts in the limited conditions you have!  Keep checking in for encouragement and to let us know how it's going!

katie, you have a great attitude in looking forward to continued progress all the way through day 30.  Thank you for being so optimistic!  I hope you're able to narrow down the problem cause soon.  Even if it's hard, one of the great things about this is learning to listen to the little messages our bodies are giving us and working to find the root of the problem rather than just treat it afterward.  Continue on . . . you'll make it!  

CG, I hope you can find out what the problem is.  Food sensitivites and allergies can be so frustrating, but at least they're not foods you love.  That's helpful a bit.   

Thanks for your support Ramonax, galaxigirl, katieblue, and everyone! I really appreciate it. The undergrads are leaving tomorrow and seem to have gone out to celebrate tonight - so no bad music needed :) ! I am hanging in there, plan to cook a lot this weekend and we are 2/3 finished!! I just ate a bowl of blackberries and coconut cream to celebrate.

CGinDC, and Katieblue - have you tried eating fermented veggies e.g. saurcraut (the kinds without vinegar that they sell at places like whole foods - I get Bubbies... )  with your meals? I ask because it has worked for me to help me digest things better esp. fats like avocado, as I think something I struggle with is slow digestion in general and I heard that low pro-biotics in your gut can make it hard to digest many things. The other thing I do is eat bitter things before I eat, like Swedish bitters (a supplement you can buy) or just radicchio or something which I think gets my juices going...

I had a terrible day today at work, literally one of the worst work days I have ever had, to top it all off an apparently 16 foot high Raven shat on my window, completely obscuring the view. Summed it all up nicely - anyway my normal reaction would be chocolate chip cookie dough. Or at least the thought "I deserve a treat tonight". But today I was really aware of my thinking around food and how I use it to celebrate fun times or sooth bad times. I came home and walked the dog/baby (holy crow that kid is heavy in the backpack) and ate a regular dinner. I did make agua pinas (pineapple and water blended) (I know smoothies are frowned upon, but I had spicy chill and without the option of yogurt to help me manage, I needed something) and that was a bit fancy/celebratory. Now I'm full and okay. I'm happy to have analyzed how I felt, just let myself feel it and didn't really respond emotionally (didn't get mad as self, didn't judge self, didn't indulge) and I got through it. :)

Good for you, Ramonax! Sorry about your rough day at work, and that Raven! That's a bad day! I had that on day 2 and almost quit Whole30. So glad we've come this far. Is tomorrow really day 20? You've got this! Sometimes a good long walk is a great way to unwind, at least for me.

My "victory" of the day? I served about 50 second graders ice cream sundaes, and wasn't even tempted to have a bite!

Wendy

jen, that virus sounds TERRIBLE! So glad that passed!! And thank you so much for the encouragement! I really appreciate the kind words. :)

Muez, I haven't actually ever tried any fermented vegetables with my meals on this Whole 30, but I do love them! Is it hard to find them without added sugar?

Ramonax, congratulations!! I am so impressed at the really awesome attitude swing there!! You're really transforming your relationship with food and not to sound cheesy, that is really inspirational! I haven't been challenged by any particularly hard days (except when I wanted honey for my sore throat - but that doesn't compare with emotionally stressful days) but I'll remember your strength and know I can get through without the Ben & Jerry's! ;)

Wendy, that is AWESOME! I can't imagine being right in front of ice cream and not being tempted to eat any! I have been off gluten for 5 years before starting this program, and I was giving bags of gold fish to kids at a library program yesterday and I still wanted to eat a few! Lol!!

Everybody, WE MADE IT TO DAY 20!! We are 2/3 of the way through and we have 10 days left! (after today, but I'm totally super stoked and know we'll all make it through to day so it's okay to count it!) :) I just made my last three shopping lists for this coming week's meals (I've been having to do "big" shopping two-three times a week because of all the produce, yuck!) but it felt like victory!!

You know how we were talking about how easy it is for men? My boyfriend weighed himself last week even though he isn't supposed to and was pissy because he hadn't lost any weight. But today he texts me, "I just went to tighten my belt because my pants are falling down but I'm already on the smallest loop!!!!" GO FIGURE!

Also REALLY looking forward to St. Patrick's day food, even though we're Whole 30ing there are still some amazingly yummy looking things to make! (Besides the cabbage rolls, I've got a potato and green pepper egg bake thing going for the morning, and some colcannon with dinner!) My boyfriend was upset he couldn't have a Guinness or I couldn't make boozy brownies, but I think we're gonna do WAY better than that!

Hope everyone is feeling better today!!!

Day 20! woo hoo!!

I'm happy to have analyzed how I felt, just let myself feel it and didn't really respond emotionally (didn't get mad as self, didn't judge self, didn't indulge) and I got through it. :)

I adore that.  :lol:

On the topic of fermented foods, has anyone tried fermenting anything themselves?  It is super easy.  Here's a good article on making sauerkraut (I've made all sorts of variations).

katieblue, I am also obsessed with fermented ginger carrots.  I make it with extra ginger, and eat it with almost everything!  And they're made of low FODMAP veggies!

This way I know the fermented goodies never were heated (it kills the good bacterias), I know exactly what went into it, and it's way cheaper than buying little "artisanal" jars.  I just love playing around with stuff like this (I think my poor sourdough pot is feeling neglected lately).

OMG ksea, those fermented ginger carrots look amaaaaazingly yummy!! I'm gonna have to look into some mason jars and cheesecloth... :) Thanks for sharing! For some reason, I always expected that making your own fermented veggies would be difficult (but I guess we think that about all kinds of things we've never tried?)

DAY 21!! 2/3 complete and 1/3 to go!

How's everybody feeling? I hope your colds are going away/gone! Galaxigrl I hope your husband is at least starting to feel better!

For some reason I've been waking up in the middle of the night.. Maybe it's the time change and my body getting ready for it. Today I was up at 3:30, which would have been 2:30 had we not sprang ahead... but I'm SO stoked for it being lighter out later! Yay for doing cardio outside in the evenings!! :)

I'm slightly nervous about today because we are going to my boyfriend's brother's surprise birthday party... It's at a pizza joint down at the Seaside boardwalk (we're in Jersey). Like I've said, I've been gluten free for several years now, so I wouldn't really be able to eat pizza/garlic knots/cake anyway without suffering some serious pain, but when I get really anxious (which I do around lots of people, especially ones I've never met before) I have a tendency to stuff my face with whatever I can get my hands on, gluteny consequences be damned. We're planning on eating beforehand because even the salads aren't compliant unless we didn't add any chicken (they season it with some unknown "mix" they couldn't tell me what was in), and we know that's not really fitting the template. So hopefully I can just be full enough that I won't want to stuff face... or conscious enough by this point that I'll be aware of my self-sabotage in the name of stress and can be like, "Hey lady, knock it off, that ain't how this works."

And I'm pumped because we have carnitas planned for tonight when we get home!! I've never made them before but I've seen so many of you and others on here making them, and when I had them at Chipotle for the first time last week I was in pulled pork heaven. We got some avocados to make some guac and some fresh pico de gallo, and some summer squash to grill with some lime and cilantro on the side! :)

Good luck at the surprise party, katieblue!  Your dinner you have planned once home sounds amazing, and a lot healthier than the offerings at the pizza joint.

I'm feeling sooo much better, and I think the "tiger blood" may be settling in, as I feel more energetic the last couple of days.  I just wish I were sleeping better. I haven't had any food related dreams like mentioned in the book, but usually I just lay there awhile trying to get to sleep.  I've been careful to drink only caffeine free herbal tea after about 6pm, so not sure what that's about.  (And normally caffeine does not keep my awake unless I have an unusual amount).  I'm also waking up several times in the night.  

I hope everyone else who has been sick is on the mend, and getting their energy back.  It stinks to be eating so healthy, and not feel well!  

Wendy

katieblue - You don't need to invest in any mason jars if you have some pickle jars, or any type of jar with a lid.  If you don't have any cups that fit in the top to weigh down the veggies under the brine, you can use a zip-top bag with some liquid (brine is recommended, in case it leaks).  And you can use a paper towel or a light hand towel, instead of cheesecloth, to keep dust out.  

Have fun at the party, I know what you mean about being anxious around big groups of people and wanting to consume things that aren't good for you.  I know you'll be strong enough to overcome, especially with carnitas and those wonderful sides waiting at home for you! Yum!!

Thanks for the support, ladies!! We survived, even with my boyfriend's brother literally shoving fries in our faces. :P We had to bolt when the cake came out, because I was about to start licking the frosting off it by that point. But we made it! And DAMN those carnitas were AMAZING!!! I had never tried making them before, but holy delicious, Batman!

Wendy, I'm so glad you're feeling better but sorry you're not sleeping! I've been waking up in the middle of the night myself. Maybe like you said, we're just getting some tiger blood and starting to see the energy now that the colds are going away!

Thank you so much for the brining tips, ksea!! :)

Did the time change mess anyone else up today? I didn't get around to breakfast until after 11:00, then had a bunch of errands to run. By the time I got home it was time to start prep cooking and getting dinner together! I had a homemade sausage as a snack and got right down in to the prep - I'm hoping that'll keep things interesting and easy this week. I made hard boiled eggs, mayo, ranch dressing, sunshine sauce, and a few sweet potatoes. Yesterday I prepped some braised cabbage and spaghetti squash so I've got those in the fridge too.

I'm planning to make the Kalua Pig this week from nom nom paleo - hoping it's as good as the reviews say it is!

Yes time change messed with me! Totally missed breakfast and had to go straight to lunch with the family. Not recommended! But I felt better after a little while and a cup of coffee.

Glad you enjoyed the carnitas, Katie! They've become a staple in our house.

Today I made the walnut crusted pork with asparagus with lemon zest and roasted sweet potatoes for dinner.(all from the book) Yum! All so simple and all very tasty.

CGinDC, I agree. Time change is the WORST! I won't go into my rant - but when you live north of 60 degrees latitude, you don't need extra daylight hours. And when you live with a toddler and a teenager, getting up earlier is no small feat. I had nothing prepared today, and had no time to prepare for the week! I made a quick curry chicken and need to grocery shop tomorrow during lunch. I have a chicken to roast and will do so tomorrow. tuesday will be salmon cakes. 

I've gone running the last two days. I had a lot of energy on Saturday morning and ran a lot further than I thought I would. So that was great. Today I was a bit sore and slow, but still felt like going out! I think that is probably tiger blood for me.

I realize that I drink waaaay less water on the weekend. I have a big water bottle at work, sitting on my desk and I drink one or two of them a day. But at home, I have to remember to pour a glass and I never do. I think I'll get a bottle for home too. 

I'm glad everyone is feeling better! And glad you got through that party Katieblue. Even getting through your kryptonite - carrot cake! Kalina, that walnut crusted pork sounds so good. I think I'll try that this week. 

I'm with you all on the time change - it's so stressful! I was the opposite of you guys - I woke up crazy early (3:30am and was wide awake like let's get this day started!). Here's hoping we get back to the routine quickly!

CGinDC, that pork looks ssssoooo yummy. I love Nom Nom Paleo! I feel like her recipes are all much more simple than Mel Joulwan's. Even though hers look amazing, I haven't actually been brave enough to try any yet. :( But let us know how it is!!

Kalina, the walnut crusted pork sounds great too!! Which carnitas recipe do you use? We used a 5.4lb pork butt and we have enough left over to last us at least through Wednesday!

Ramonax, thank you for remembering that carrot cake is my kryptonite!! Haha. Glad to hear that you're getting some energy back!!

Aaaannnnnd... Commence Day 22!!

I slept in this morning (when I work Saturdays, I have off Mondays, and I WAY prefer to have off Mondays, especially after the time change!) so I rolled out of bed at 6:30 (I know, I know, I've wasted most of the day). Normally I would make myself get up and go to the gym but after the craziness of the party yesterday I just want a day to veg, read some books, and watch some movies. It's gray and rainy and yucky, and it's finals week at school but I don't have any! So I'm really excited to have a day off where I can just hang around. :) And have some leftover carnitas for lunch!! :wub:

Archived