Hi all! Starting Feb 22nd!

katieblue

Hi everyone,

I can't believe this is day 17!  Here are my NSV's:

1. No more "mindless munching." I was so used to grabbing a handful of chips or pretzels here and there throughout the day.  The W30 has really made me think about every single bite I put into my mouth.  It is a good feeling knowing that every ounce of food has been nourishment.

2. I noticed this week that I have not been obsessing over what I can't have like I was last week. Last week, to be honest, I did a lot of whining to my husband about not having my coffee creamer and wine.  This week I am really enjoying the food I eat, and not focusing on what is missing.

3. I am so proud of my will power!  I wasn't sure I could do it. But other than one really stressful day at work, I haven't been tempted to quit or cheat.

4. I have not felt bloated or gassy (sorry if TMI, but that was the norm for me before the W30).

5. I am craving sleep more than ever before.  I have always been sleep-deprived since my college days ( I'm now 50).

I'm hoping to see more physical benefits once I get over this nasty chest congestion.  Going to the doctor today instead of work. I've loved reading everyone else's victories!

Wendy 

• Replies 441
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wendy, congrats on all those amazing NSV's - you deserve to be proud of yourself and your willpower!! And I hope you feel better soon!! I'm with you, can't wait for this cold to clear up so we can see how we actually feel!!

I slept much better last night, thank goodness - but I'm still a little tired this morning. I'm also feeling pretty bloated the last couple of days. I certainly hope that passes soon!

I had one of those mornings when I hadn't planned my breakfast very well. I ended up doing scrambled eggs in a mug in the microwave. I don't recommend this - they were really rubbery. I had 2 eggs, a piece of leftover chorizo sausage, and raw veggies. Not my best effort and it was one of those breakfasts I just wanted to get through so I could enjoy my coffee. Come to think of it, most of my breakfasts this week have been like that...I think I need some breakfast inspiration! I really don't like eggs when they've been re-heated so egg muffins and fritatas are out. I usually go into work early and eat there, so I need something that can be prepped the night before and packed. Any ideas?

I hate reheated eggs, too... but I'm lucky in that I always have time to scramble up a few on the stovetop.

My boyfriend has been avoiding eggs because he's still convinced they're bad for his cholesterol, but he's so extremely picky about wanting traditional breakfast foods. So he's been having some of my homemade sausage, or whatever protein we had for dinner the night before, just reheated, with whatever veggies are palatable to him and some fruit. You could easily just take leftovers with you and nuke them at work, if you think you can handle non-traditional breakfast foods.

Yay for Day 17!  I felt super great when I woke up this morning, but now I feel bloated and have stomach cramps.  Ugh.  All I've had so far today is sausage, peppers, onion, and zucchini for breakfast and a black coffee.  I'm not sure what's causing it, but it sucks!  I feel like it's time for the bloating to go away!

CGinDC: For breakfast today, I just cooked some chicken sausage, peppers, onions, and zucchin in a skillet last night and reheated it this morning.  It was really good.  On Monday, I did a curry chicken salad and cucumber tomato salad for breakfast (leftovers from Sunday's lunch).  I also do chia puddings once or twice a week, even though they border on SWYPO.  But they've never unleashed my sugar dragon, probably because they're not that sweet when you don't add any sweetener.  I like the break from eggs.  I'm not a huge egg fan.

Yay! So proud of everyone for making it this far. I'm on day 16 today as I started the day after y'all. My period started this morning and my guts are upset. I'm hoping it's just because my hormones are wacky from this being my first period while on whole 30.

My biggest nsv is lack of foggy brain. Hooray for that.

As far as non egg breakfast recommendations, I found a recipe for a slowclooker breakfast meatloaf.... I made that last might, then heated up a slice this morning and had it with leftover slaw and roasted potatoes with some guac for fat. If I can find the link to the meatloaf, I'll post it. It was pretty good.

Yay! So proud of everyone for making it this far. I'm on day 16 today as I started the day after y'all. My period started this morning and my guys are upset. I'm hoping it's just because my hormones are wacky from this being my first period while on whole 30.

My biggest nsv is lack of foggy brain. Hooray for that.

As far as non egg breakfast recommendations, I found a recipe for a slowclooker breakfast meatloaf.... I made that last might, then heated up a slice this morning and had it with leftover slaw and roasted potatoes with some guac for fat. If I can find the link to the meatloaf, I'll post it. It was pretty good.

Ooh, Kalina, the breakfast meat loaf sounds awesome! What about your slaw recipe? I haven't found any compliant ones that looked good to me yet, and I looooooove slaw!

Galaxigrl, hang in there! I'm sure the bloating will go away! Have you considered the possibility of FODMAPs irritating you? I know a mod suggested that as a possibility for me, as they can cause bloating and fatigue.

I dont know if anyone has tried a sweet potato hash for breakfast.  You just shred a sweet potato in a Cuisinart, add some ghee to the frying pan add the hash and what ever else you want.  meat, veggies, leftovers.  It is soooo good with a fried egg on top but i know you are all getting sick of eggs.  

I still love eggs and could eat them for every meal.  Today since i am home with my sick daughter I placed prosciutto  in a cupcake tin and added an egg and cooked for 15 minutes on 375.  it was so good!!!

I was up again with my daughter last night but woke up fine this morning and not feeling foggy.  I am going to work out at noon since my husband works from home I get to sneak away.  I am also going to go to wholefoods and see if there is any compliant ham or bacon.  I miss bacon!!  

TerraZ: I've heard that the Pederson's natural farms sugar free bacon is compliant, and you can find it at Whole Foods.  I don't know if you have a Publix near you, but I discovered that the Publix brand of sugar free bacon is also compatible.  Your prosciutto/egg cups sound awesome.  I love fried, sunny side up, poached eggs, but I assume those don't reheat well.  Unfortunately, what does reheat well are scrambled, which is my least favorite preparation.  But the sweet potato hash sounds good!

You could also try hard-boiling the eggs and skip the reheating altogether!

I've done sweet potato hash before the Whole30 with eggs, onion, apple and ham/sausage/bacon and spices, and it's always been amazing!! I think I only haven't tried it now because we don't have anywhere to get compliant bacon near us. Although I could use the sausage I make, I suppose.

The last time I made sweet potato hash it turned into a pile of mush - I think I grated them too finely. But I will try again! I think I do better when I have some sort of starchy veggie in the morning. 

I ate hard boiled eggs all last week - love them...but need a break.  :)

I am making corned beef and cabbage tonight.  It was on sale at the grocery store so we are celebrating St. Paddy's day a bit early.  It sounds so yummy.  Unfortunately all horseradish has sugar and soy in it so i bought fresh horseradish...I will see how that is.  

I love that we are on day 17, My husband is kind of doing this with me.  He is eating whole30 but still weighs himself and he had 1 celebratory drink last week when his best friend told him he was having his first baby,  so I tell him hes not really doing it.  He weighed himself today and is down 15 pounds.  I hate men!!!  I do feel I am down a lot but not 15 pounds.  

Well, I finally went to the doctor today, and found out I have bronchitis. I received a breathing treatment ,  and  she ruled out pneumonia with a chest x-ray. Now I'm on a steroid :wacko: and have an inhaler.  

After lounging around all afternoon, I finally got motivated to cook, and right now I am making the "perfect ground beef, tomato sauce, and spaghetti squash" from the W30 book.  I'll let you all know how it turns out.  I'm especially excited about the sauce, as I LOVE Italian food.  

Wendy

I am making corned beef and cabbage tonight.  It was on sale at the grocery store so we are celebrating St. Paddy's day a bit early.  It sounds so yummy.  Unfortunately all horseradish has sugar and soy in it so i bought fresh horseradish...I will see how that is.  

I love that we are on day 17, My husband is kind of doing this with me.  He is eating whole30 but still weighs himself and he had 1 celebratory drink last week when his best friend told him he was having his first baby,  so I tell him hes not really doing it.  He weighed himself today and is down 15 pounds.  I hate men!!!  I do feel I am down a lot but not 15 pounds.  

This make me laugh out loud. I hate men too! They just have to stop eating chips past 8:00 or give up one pepsi a week and they lose 50 pounds.

TerraZ - hope your corned beef was good!! I'm planning on making these for St. Patrick's day next week - if you have lots of leftovers it might be a good use for them! :)

I'm also really jealous of men and their ability to drop weight!! I've been gluten-free for five years and was low-carb and grain-free and worked out like a fiend for the past year and I've still continued gaining weight! And like Ramonax said - they give up one little snacky thing and they're like ah look at me I've got a six pack! :P

Wendy - I really hope you feel better soon!!

Thanks so much, Kalina!! :)

DAY 18 EVERYBODY!! Less than two weeks left at this point!!! :) We are so awesome!!!

Woo hoo for Day 18!  My husband woke up a few days ago feeling soreness all over his body, like when you work out really hard.  But he hadn't been doing any working out.  I'm worried about him.  He's going to the doctor today at 4:30.  Did anything like that happen to y'all?  I wonder if it has to do with his blood pressure.  He's on BP meds, and I wonder if maybe his BP has gotten too low...but I don't know if muscle soreness is a symptom of that.  I thought he was dehydrated, but he drank a lot of water last night and didn't feel any better.

Wendy and Frankie: I've made that recipe twice already.  It's one of my absolute favorites so far!

katieblue: Good suggestion with the hard boiled eggs.  I made some the first week but then forgot about making them!

TerraZ: We're doing corned beef and cabbage in the crockpot on St. Patty's Day.  It's the same recipe we always make, but we're using chicken broth instead of beer and omitting the brown sugar.  Hope it's still good!  When do you use the horseradish?  Do you make a sauce?  We usually just eat it straight up out of the crockpot with carrots and cabbage and no sauce.

TerraZ and Ramonax: With you on men!  My husband says he doesn't feel like he's lost weight, but I know he has.

kalinaM: Is the slaw you like the cabbage one with lemon oil?  That's one of my favorites.

My husband makes the best balsamic and he makes enough for the week. 3/4 cup olive oil and 1/4 cup balsamic, salt and pepper, oregano, splash of guldens brown mustard and a whole crushed garlic clove. We don't refrigerate it. It's a bit thick and so good on salads and I like to dip veggies or grilled chicken in it.

Try it with a Greek chicken salad.

Thank you TerraZ ( and your husband) for the dressing recipe! It is sooo good I seriously want to lick the bowl when the salad is gone! Making another batch today!

Hi everyone,

So great to read all the recipes and helps me remember all of the great things I could make out there. I think I am going to start a recipe idea board to get myself excited about all the wonderful things.

I am struggling a lot today - I sleep for at least 9 hrs a night but I can barely wake up and I am still tired! It is hard not to feel depressed when I am tired and want to eat sweet things to get over it. My husband went out for ice cream with some friends last night and I stayed home because all I want right now is an ice cream sundae!

I am also feeling bummed because it is so hard to cook where I live - I live in a grad student dorm right now and the only kitchen is in the basement, and I am on the upper floors. I am usually someone who loves to cook and hang out in the kitchen all the time making people food.  I was making this work with my crock pot and a tea kettle in my room,  but then this week a group of undergrads are staying in the building for their spring break to volunteer in the area, which is great, but they take over the whole kitchen every night in a huge group, and it is starting to wear on me. I've been going to the dining hall a lot with my own salad dressing and a can of sardines to get as much as is compliant from the salad bar, (there is nothing else I can eat)  but I think this means I have been eating less than usual. Sorry to vent so much and to be such a downer!! I feel a little better just writing this, and though about deleting it but I figured some others of you might be feeling yucky too!

Muez - When I start craving sugar, it seems to be because I am not eating enough food. I wonder if a salad with sardines is enough calorie wise? It certainly doesn't sound like enough interesting food wise! And I wonder about your fat and carb intake.

That sucks that the undergrads have taken over the kitchen. Especially in a group. That would drive me insane! Are there any foods you could make on off meal hours, just to have available to you? Like paleo fried chicken (my favourite, a I talk about every 5 minutes) or Spanish omlette, sunshine sauce and cut up veggies. Or I just quickly looked up grab and go kind of foods/make ahead foods.

http://paleoleap.com/8-recipes-make-ahead-breakfast-run/

http://www.buzzfeed.com/christinebyrne/whole30-and-flirty-and-thriving#.jh4bOK074w

Muez you're not complaining too much, that's what we're here for! You're situation does sound so tricky. It's easy to get discouraged when you don't have many cooking options available to you. I really don't have advice, just wanted to give you sympathy and be a cheerleader!

Muez, that is a bummer your kitchen is getting taken over.  I love being in the kitchen too.  Are you getting any starchy veggies with your meals?  I've found out you can bake sweet potatoes in the crock pot.  I've been using the heck out of my slow cooker.

CGinDC, I've been making sure I have baked sweet potatoes in the fridge, so in the morning I can either cube some up and brown them quickly (having them already cooked makes it so much faster), or I eat them cold (my favorite way, it's very refreshing) with some breakfast sausage.  I also cook the breakfast sausage patties beforehand and reheat them in the morning, or at least form all the patties ahead of time so I don't have to dirty my hands later.

Wendy, bronchitis!  :( Hope you're well soon.  I love meat sauce, I have some meat thawing in the fridge for a batch.  I love it on zoodles too.

galaxigrl, hope your husband is OK too.  It seems like if I feel unwell it's no big deal to me, but when my family is feeling unwell I turn into a wreck!

A few days ago I cooked a pork shoulder.  I cut it into fist sized pieces, rubbed it with Hawaiian salt, and dumped it in the slow cooker with some pineapple juice, chicken stock, grated ginger, a sliced seranno, and some liquid smoke.  I let it cook on high with the lid cracked (my slow cooker runs kinda hot on low with the lid on, and I didn't want the liquid boiling aggressively) for about 6 hours.  Shredded the meat and added it back into the liquid.  Turned out really yummy.

I also cooked some chicken leg/thigh quarters using Pioneer Woman's Oven BBQ Chicken recipe.  They turned out very juicy.  Used this BBQ sauce.  Now I think I must get some corned beef, those reuben rolls look way too good!  Thanks for sharing katieblue!

Archived