Shake Recommendation

jasully18

Sorry, you won't find shake or smoothie recommendations here, as such concoctions are discouraged on a Whole30.

From the Can I Have Guide: 

"Protein Shakes: Almost Always No Almost all protein powders (like whey, casein, soy, or pea) contain off-limit ingredients. Besides, anything you can get from protein powder (except maybe chemical extractives, added sweeteners and strange-sounding isolates) you can get from whole foods during your Whole30. In addition, formulated and processed meal-replacement shakes like Shakeology or Visalus are always off-limits. These products don’t even come close to our definition of real, whole food—and they’re packed with off-plan ingredients like pea protein and stevia. However, protein powder from approved ingredients like crickets (in Chapul bars) or 100% egg white are allowed on the Whole30, provided they contain no sweeteners. As always, though, liquid food is still not encouraged. Got it? Tip: We want you to spend a month learning to appreciate real food, how it tastes, the work it takes to prepare, and how it works in your body. You can have your shaker cup back in 30 days; for now, focus on starchy veggies and lean protein after a workout. Hard-boiled eggs, compliant deli meat, smoked salmon, or tuna are easy, portable protein sources to take with you to the gym." - See more at: http://whole30.com/2013/06/the-official-can-i-have-guide-to-the-whole30/#sthash.CGFBrRkF.dpuf

I will point out that blended soups are approved, so if you can bring yourself to substitute soup for a smoothie, you can put a nice meal together. You still neet the protein and fats, so carry those hard boiled eggs and tins of tuna and avocados around to make a complete meal.

And bear in mind that blended soups are not going to keep you as full as whole vegetables do, so expect to feel hungry again sooner than usual after a regular meal.

Soups may seem like a crazy alternative to shakes, but they are actually far more nutritious, they just don't have the same level of marketing ;)

You can have your soups cold or hot, they're portable and they keep better than shakes too.

Shakes almost never contain vegetables and even when they do, they're powdered. Shakes really don't contain "everything you need".

ex-whey shake survivor :)

• 8 months later...

From  the can I have page:   http://whole30.com/2013/06/the-official-can-i-have-guide-to-the-whole30/

Smoothies: We’d rather you didn’t

This is a very popular question, with a very unpopular answer. Smoothies (generally made using lots of fruit) are technically compliant on your Whole30, but we strongly recommend against it. Food that you drink sends different satiety signals to your brain than food that you chew. So when you drink your meal, your brain isn’t getting the feedback it needs to tell your body that it’s had enough of what it needs. Plus, smoothies are generally really fruit-heavy, and starting your day off with a liquid sugar-bomb sets you up for cravings, hunger, and volatile energy levels throughout the day. In summary, we’d rather you just eat the food, and skip the smoothie.

Understood and appreciated that smoothies are good-to-go for on the run and very busy people.  I was the Smoothie Operator for years. My vitamix silently waits under the cupboard for my return.  Giving up smoothies was one of the best things for my quality of blood sugar health.

At the bottom is a link and one of the reasons that people think smoothies are a part of the program. Stick with the forum and ISWF, you'll find everything you need.  Google Whole 30 and smoothies. 

Smoothies: We’d rather you didn’t

This is a very popular question, with a very unpopular answer. Smoothies (generally made using lots of fruit) are technically compliant on your Whole30, but we strongly recommend against it. Food that you drinksends different satiety signals to your brain than food that you chew. So when you drink your meal, your brain isn’t getting the feedback it needs to tell your body that it’s had enough of what it needs. Plus, smoothies are generally really fruit-heavy, and starting your day off with a liquid sugar-bomb sets you up for cravings, hunger, and volatile energy levels throughout the day. In summary, we’d rather you just eat the food, and skip the smoothie.

You see, this thread below is cross-grain/wires crossed  with Whole 30 101.  

https://lifehealthhq.com/whole30-smoothies/

Archived