Soybean Oil

I have been doing the Whole30 diet for 8 days and just read that we can't have soybean oil. I have been using a salad dressing that has the ingredient soybean oil. I wanted to know what salad dressings you can buy and is it necessary to start over? 

• Moderators

It can be hard to find pre-made salad dressings in many grocery stores, though mine has started carrying Tessemae's brand, which is refrigerated in the produce section. Many of their varieties are okay. Other than that, you'd just need to read labels to see if there are others available.

You can make your own pretty easily. Google whole30 salad dressing recipes to find many ideas. The easiest thing to do is to put some oil and either vinegar or juice from lemons or limes on your salad, if you don't feel like actually making some. Another option would be to use mayo as a thicker salad dressing.

As for if you have to start over, read this article and decide:

http://whole30.com/2014/06/really-start-whole30/

• Moderators

Thank you for your response. You mentioned using mayo. Are we able to use mayo?

You can make your own mayo.  Most commercially available condiments are not going to be compliant.  They're almost always loaded with sugar, dairy and soy as you found out.

• Moderators

You need to start over after eating soybean oil as part of your salad dressing. And you need to review everything you are eating to see what other non-compliant ingredients might be present. Reading on day 8 that soybean oil is a problem suggests you need to go back and read the Whole30 Program rules through again - http://whole30.com/whole30-program-rules/. The rules are simple, but you need to read through them 3-4 times carefully to get them well settled in your mind. 

The Whole30 forces you to cook and eat like your great grandmother... like back in the days when there was no such thing as salad dressings and you made your own without thinking twice about it. 

Archived