Starting On March 28th!

Angela82

Day 23 - 7 more to go! Actually, I will also keep to this model for the most part once the 30 days are over. I'm definitely looking forward to a glass of wine, though.

My biggest concern over the next week is that I will be traveling starting on Thursday through the end of the 30. We'll be celebrating a big family holiday at my mother's house with my entire extended family, which means lots of food that I won't be able to have. I also cannot tell my mother how to cook. She is a great cook and takes pride in her recipes that have been handed down through the generations, so I have to be careful about how to handle the situation. I think I can probably help by offering to prepare a few "extra" side dishes so that I can be sure to have them prepared in a healthier way.

Does anyone have suggestions on how to deal with family feasts?

As to the recipe-sharing portion of the discussion - my favorite creation so far was pecan-coconut crusted halibut. I used arrowroot starch for the dredge and equal parts ground pecans and shredded unsweetened coconut for the crust. I seasoned the arrowroot starch with salt, pepper, garlic powder and onion powder. Did the usual 3-step dredge - egg wash - crust (that you would normally do with flour and breadcrumbs), and then pan fried it in a little olive oil - 3 minutes per side. I then zested and squeezed a little lime on it. It came out amazing. You could have served it in a restaurant.

Another fish dish I liked was pan-seared tuna with romesco sauce. This had much more of a kick to it if you like spice. I brushed a little olive oil on the tuna steaks, dredged them in an old-bay style seasoning (celery salt, crushed red pepper, ground mustard, paprika) and pan-seared it (3-4 minutes per side depending on your preferred temperature). I found a super easy recipe for romesco on line. You basically put a jar of roasted red peppers and 1/2 cup of almonds in a blender with garlic, paprika, chile powder, salt, pepper and olive oil and let it whirr until you like the consistency. It tastes amazing and goes on everything.

I'm actually having fun finding and playing around with recipes. I find that fish dishes are the easiest to prepare on a busy work/school night because they take very little time to cook and I can get dinner on the table fairly quickly. Also, by using sauces, I don't have to be as creative in how I prepare the veggies. I can just steam or roast them and then use the sauces for flavor.

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Moderators

Day 23 - 7 more to go! Actually, I will also keep to this model for the most part once the 30 days are over. I'm definitely looking forward to a glass of wine, though.

My biggest concern over the next week is that I will be traveling starting on Thursday through the end of the 30. We'll be celebrating a big family holiday at my mother's house with my entire extended family, which means lots of food that I won't be able to have. I also cannot tell my mother how to cook. She is a great cook and takes pride in her recipes that have been handed down through the generations, so I have to be careful about how to handle the situation. I think I can probably help by offering to prepare a few "extra" side dishes so that I can be sure to have them prepared in a healthier way.

Does anyone have suggestions on how to deal with family feasts?

Definitely talk to her before meal time, maybe even before you get there. If there are particular issues you're doing Whole30 to address (that you're comfortable mentioning), maybe say something like, Mom, I love your cooking, but I'm doing this elimination diet to see if what I'm eating is contributing to *your health issue*. I need to go 30 days without the foods that are the most likely culprits, and then reintroduce them carefully to see if I have any kind of reaction. I'm nearly through the 30 days now, I've worked really hard on this, and I'm already feeling better, so I know it's doing something. Please don't take it personally, but I'm just going to prepare my own foods while I'm here so that I can continue with my plan. I'm really going to miss having *insert something you love that she makes*, but for this time, I just really can't have that. 

If you don't have a particular health issue, focus on improvements you've seen -- so maybe say, I'm trying this elimination diet to see if the foods I eat actually affect the way I feel, and for 30 days I'm not having the foods that most often cause issues for people. I'm nearly through the 30 days, and so far I'm really feeling better -- *talk about specifics, if you want to*. And then go on with the Please don't take it personally part.

Of course, I don't know your mom, or what your relationship with her is like, and that mother-daughter relationship can be a tough one, so if you're sure this won't work, then obviously, try something different. 

More tips for discussing Whole30 in a quick and concise way here.

Definitely talk to her before meal time, maybe even before you get there. If there are particular issues you're doing Whole30 to address (that you're comfortable mentioning), maybe say something like, Mom, I love your cooking, but I'm doing this elimination diet to see if what I'm eating is contributing to *your health issue*. I need to go 30 days without the foods that are the most likely culprits, and then reintroduce them carefully to see if I have any kind of reaction. I'm nearly through the 30 days now, I've worked really hard on this, and I'm already feeling better, so I know it's doing something. Please don't take it personally, but I'm just going to prepare my own foods while I'm here so that I can continue with my plan. I'm really going to miss having *insert something you love that she makes*, but for this time, I just really can't have that. 

If you don't have a particular health issue, focus on improvements you've seen -- so maybe say, I'm trying this elimination diet to see if the foods I eat actually affect the way I feel, and for 30 days I'm not having the foods that most often cause issues for people. I'm nearly through the 30 days, and so far I'm really feeling better -- *talk about specifics, if you want to*. And then go on with the Please don't take it personally part.

Of course, I don't know your mom, or what your relationship with her is like, and that mother-daughter relationship can be a tough one, so if you're sure this won't work, then obviously, try something different. 

More tips for discussing Whole30 in a quick and concise way here.

@ShannonM816 - Thanks, this is great advice and very helpful. I think she'll appreciate and understand the "health issue" thing. Diabetes and obesity run in my family, and she'll understand my attempt to get ahead of the genetics.

Congrats everyone for reaching the final week!

I find that eating in accordance with whole30 has slowly become easy and just the way it is! The simplicity and ease just kind of sneaked up on me. No more cravings.

My concen now is that I just cannot eat the quantity I was eating 10 days ago. I still plan my meals according to the template quantity but am unable to finish the food on the plate. A quarter gets left behind. I am not sure if I should listen to my body and stop eating when I feel full or if I should insist on the template portions!

No tiger blood yet, but I am definitely not feeling exhausted and drained. How is everyone else doing?

Hi all. Congratulations on entering our final week.

I have to admit to today being my toughest day for some time. I admit to feeling the pressure to constantly be thinking and preparing. Tonight is going to be a simple grilled chicken with steamed veggies. I know I don't have the fat...so maybe some avocado as well...or a mayo sauce. I have to admit thinking, wouldn't a sandwich be so much easier.

It is true I feel better. I wish I slept better, but that may be another issue. I'm recovering from having a kidney stone removed. But still staying the course.

I'm desperately trying not to snack.

I have no way to manage my feelings.  Instead of stuffing my face with sugar I have to just deal with them and this sucks.  I don't even want any certain food in particular, I just want sugar to take the edge off. 

• Moderators

I have no way to manage my feelings.  Instead of stuffing my face with sugar I have to just deal with them and this sucks.  I don't even want any certain food in particular, I just want sugar to take the edge off. 

It does suck, but you'll get through it. Hang in there.

Dem, I am sorry to hear you are struggling with cravings. Perhaps keeping a diary as an way to express feelings might help. Every time you have a craving for sugar just write down a few sentences about how you are feeling and why you think sugar would help.

Hi all. Congratulations on entering our final week.

I have to admit to today being my toughest day for some time. I admit to feeling the pressure to constantly be thinking and preparing. Tonight is going to be a simple grilled chicken with steamed veggies. I know I don't have the fat...so maybe some avocado as well...or a mayo sauce. I have to admit thinking, wouldn't a sandwich be so much easier.

It is true I feel better. I wish I slept better, but that may be another issue. I'm recovering from having a kidney stone removed. But still staying the course.

I'm desperately trying not to snack.

Like you I struggle with planning and ease of prep. I don't really want to eat a sandwich but it would be easier and quicker! Planning and prepping each meal takes a lot of time. On the other hand spending time prepping the food we eat helps build a healthier relationship with food. I hope you are well after your procedure. Hang in there!

I have no way to manage my feelings. Instead of stuffing my face with sugar I have to just deal with them and this sucks. I don't even want any certain food in particular, I just want sugar to take the edge off.

I totally get that. I tend to snack on my hour commute home as a way to unwind from a stressful day and not deal with the stress of traffic. Working out has really helped. I've gone on runs right after work (like, changed my clothes at work and just started running). It's really helped take the edge off and mellows me out.

By the way, when I say "run," I mean an easy jog/walk. Might be worth a try!

Thanks for the kind words guys. I am so proud of myself for how I handled things yesterday. We stayed in town really late and went shopping at walmart. I was so hungry. My husband was loading up the cart with junk that I "can't" have and I started feeling sorry for myself. I tried to think ofor some thing off plan that I really wanted to eat. I was going to cheat. But then I couldn't think of anything I really wanted except real food, like a hamburger. I truly did not want the junk! I ended up buying some cashews and stopped feeling sorry for myself. The bad feelings just went away when I realized I just wanted good food.

Today I am going to try Thai Green Curry salmon from the Defined Dish. Good job guys we are so close to Day 30!

Thanks for the kind words guys. I am so proud of myself for how I handled things yesterday. We stayed in town really late and went shopping at walmart. I was so hungry. My husband was loading up the cart with junk that I "can't" have and I started feeling sorry for myself. I tried to think ofor some thing off plan that I really wanted to eat. I was going to cheat. But then I couldn't think of anything I really wanted except real food, like a hamburger. I truly did not want the junk! I ended up buying some cashews and stopped feeling sorry for myself. The bad feelings just went away when I realized I just wanted good food.

Today I am going to try Thai Green Curry salmon from the Defined Dish. Good job guys we are so close to Day 30!

How is everyone doing?  I just made myself some hard boiled eggs and silky gingered zucchini soup (yum!).  I almost took a bite of a non-compliant food last night without thinking but I stopped just in time!  Day 28 halfway gone!!!

I'm just going to keep going.  I feel like my body needs more time reach tiger blood phase.  Plus I don't really want any particular food, just sugar in general.  I've broken up with chocolate for good (I had already done that a few months ago, but we had one last fling on Easter), and what's the point of eating sugar if it's not chocolate?  Now when I'm hungry I'm craving real food.  My face and tummy look slimmer.  I can stay awake past 8 pm.  I still have lots of work to do on managing my uncomfortable emotions without using food.  I've got a good thing going here so I have no desire to stop.

SO CLOSE!! Rice is a big thing that was in my diet before the whole30 so im really missing that. Also, cheese. I'm really looking forward to getting those back. Overall, I've lost some inches on my waist (i can tell from using my belt) and my face is also slimmer. I'm excited to see how much progress ive made! 

Hey, hey everyone....congratulations. This is our last day! On to reintroduction. But I have pretty much decided to keep eating mostly like this....I want to have the occasional treat, sure. But I am more aware of how food makes me feel.

Hey, hey everyone....congratulations. This is our last day! On to reintroduction. But I have pretty much decided to keep eating mostly like this....I want to have the occasional treat, sure. But I am more aware of how food makes me feel.

I completely agree!

Hi everyone!!! It sounds like this was a pretty successful round for a lot of us. I can't wait to hear about everyone's results. This has been a great forum group and I'll actually miss reading about everyone's updates. It's nice having people out there going through the same thing and supporting each other. On that note, enjoy your last "official" day, though it sounds like a few of us have found a new way of eating for at least a bit longer (I'm hoping for lifetime!). Cheers!

I'm just going to keep going.  I feel like my body needs more time reach tiger blood phase.  Plus I don't really want any particular food, just sugar in general.  I've broken up with chocolate for good (I had already done that a few months ago, but we had one last fling on Easter), and what's the point of eating sugar if it's not chocolate?  Now when I'm hungry I'm craving real food.  My face and tummy look slimmer.  I can stay awake past 8 pm.  I still have lots of work to do on managing my uncomfortable emotions without using food.  I've got a good thing going here so I have no desire to stop.

Emotional eating is huge for me as well. I had a rough day at work yesterday and all I kept thinking about was the popcorn that was staring at me. Being on this plan keeps me from giving in and I worry about what happens after it's over. It's great that you're focusing on that part, I think I'll be working on the same. Good luck!

Day 30! Wow, we've almost made it. I'm super anxious to step on the scale tomorrow. I know I look and feel better, but still have a long way to go. It takes longer than 30 days to repair years of bad habits.... Wish I could say I didn't care about the number, but I really hope I'm 8-10 lbs down.

I agree with most of you making long term changes. I think I can stick to the paleo thing plus red wine!!!!

Good luck!

I had my first food dream last night! I dreamt that I was on day 29 and started pigging out on cake and pastries! I woke up in a sweat. Worse than any nightmare!

BTW congrats! We did it! I am going to combine the slow and quick reintroduction, but will be maintaining the whole30 for another few days before I begin.

Archived