Can I find Chipotle in Adobo w/o sugar?

Sara Jacobson Schroeter

Penzys is great, but if you want to save a little money or if you don't want to order online and don't have a Penzys near you, you can also buy dried chipotle's at almost any grocery store and grind them yourself in a coffee grinder. I have one set aside specifically for spices. Then add a little tomato sauce to the recipe and there's a "sort" of chipotle in adobo. :)

OR...when I really feel like making my own, I cheat the normal recipe and buy the chipotles and some ancho chili's (that is the adobo part). I soak the anchos and chipotle's in warm water for 20 minutes and pour them in a blender with the soaking liquid, tomato sauce, garlic, cooked carrots (that's the sweetness), sauteed onions and a little white vinegar. Whir it up and it's super similar to a more complicated adobo sauce (I'm lazy). :)

I had a really hard time finding them and I was obsessed with making crock pot barbacoa so i used the following substitutes. I'm guessing at amounts...i usually just chuck it into the crock pot or food processor without caring too much...

• a couple dehydrated chipotle peppers or some powdered chipotle
  • a tablespoon or 2 of tomato paste
  • couple dashes vinegar
  • 1/2 tsp each of onion powder and paprika
  • a garlic clove

You can probably find paleo adobo recipes but this works just as well.

Archived