MommaGem's First Whole30

Present4Life

Day 6 - The Food Dreams Have Begun!

Sleep:  Oh my goodness, the food dreams have already started.  I have a few dreams last night where I found myself mindlessly eating non-compliant food and realizing I'd have to start over :( Boo.  My daughter also woke me up crying during the night. So not as good a night of sleep as I have been having, but not bad.  I even went to bed last night because the evening cravings hit so hard that I finally just had to go to bed.

Exercise:  Feeling weak and sluggish on the treadmill.  This is even after a big breakfast an hour before.  I don't believe that 40 minutes of walking requires a pre or post WO snack (it's just walking, not Insanity). I had my water and just kept putting one foot in front of the other until 40 minutes elapsed.  Maybe this will get better when my body is truly fat adapted? 10,000 steps complete

Meditation: Got in 15 minutes in the afternoon. I had a meeting at the lunch hour, ate my food after, then sat to meditate. 

Mood: I am pleased to report that my mood has been fairly positive yesterday and today.  I'm a little touchy first thing in the morning until I'm into M1 and coffee, but other than that - feeling good.  We're not at tiger's blood here, but doing well  :)

M1:  2 scrambled eggs, 2 homemade breakfast sausages, roasted sweet potato, asparagus (all sauteed in ghee) + 1/2 avocado

M2:  Last of the Apple Pork and pineapple coleslaw w/ cashews on a bed of salad greens

M3:  Compliant Kielbasa w/ potato and peppers w/ sauerkraut (W30 Recipes on FB) 

Other Thoughts:  My biggest challenge today will be an evening Event Planning Committee meeting.  We traditionally go out to have a meal after the meeting (9pm-ish) and there is just no way I'm going to eat a full meal that late at night.  Or even snack.  Tonight I'm going to decline, but I'll have to figure a plan for future meetings, because I really do enjoy the socializing and conversation.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What recipe do you use for homemade breakfast sausage? I'm thinking its easier to make them into patties?

I'm really craving some but haven't found any compliant ones in the store. I want to make sausage egg breakfast sandwiches dang it! lol

Day 7 - My Busiest Day of the Week

Sleep: I had interrupted sleep last night do to external issue (stupid loud storm), so I didn't sleep as well as I had hoped.  Was pretty tired in the morning and needed that cup of coffee!

Exercise: Did not feel as weak today on the treadmill - Hurray! 10,000 steps complete

Meditation: I almost forgot. But then I wasn't in the mood for it. I did it away. Discipline and perseverance

Mood:  It's my busy day, so I'm always a little stressed and exhausted by the end of it.  Lots of conference calls and reports, so I really need to remind myself to get up and move around when I can.  If there was any day I wold want Comfort Food - it would be today.

M1: Leftover Kielbasa, potatoes, and peppers w/ zucchini and 1/2 avocado

M2:  Leftover Chicken pineapple curry w/ roasted cauliflower

M3:  Eggroll in a bowl w/ 1/2 avocado & roasted sweet potato

Other Thoughts:  A little head-achy and dehydrated this morning. Could be the reduced caffeine.  I haven't been drinking as much coffee these days because I really don't enjoy it unsweetened.  Time to start making more decaf iced tea.

I was really, really snacky-feeling this afternoon, but I resisted.  Just feeling in a dumpy mood today, but I know that's more work related than the Whole30.

I just realized the visual I had about what I wanted was from the pic in the book! haha thanks for point it out, gonna take a peak at the book again and see if there are any recipes I want to try out from it. So far I've been using google searches and the new cookbook I bought. I've only made the chicken cacciatore and basic mayo from the W30 book. 

Day 8 - One Week Complete!

Sleep:  I went to bed early last night because I was pretty tired and the cravings were bad.  Good thing I did, because my daughter woke up a couple of times during the night.  I was extremely tired this morning.  Definitely did not feel like cooking a huge breakfast.

Exercise:  I had to run errands in the morning that cut into my workout time, but I still got on the treadmill for 20 minutes. Tonight we start ripping out carpet before we install flooring tomorrow, so I'll get plenty of exercise. 10,000 steps complete

Meditation: 15 minutes in the afternoon

Mood: Feeling a bit unfocused and having a little brain fog. Difficult to get stuff done. I have a busy few days coming up that require event coordination, so I hope I get it together soon.

M1: 2 scrambled eggs, 2 homemade sausages, roasted sweet potatoes, zucchini & 1/2 avocado. Coffee w/ coconut milk

M2: Big bed of salad greens, curry chicken salad (made with homemade mayo), 1/2 banana, almond butter, unsw coconut shreds

M3: Leftover Kielbasa, Potato & Peppers w/ sliced tomato and 1/2 avocado

Other Thoughts:  I think I had a realization today.  Bananas make me gassy :o   Right after lunch I started feeling crampy and gassy.  I checked my menu on the previous day I had been gassy and the only difference.... banana.  The only 2 days I've had banana.  Sad  :(

Day 9 - Work, Work, Work!

Keeping it short today. My husband and I spent the whole day installing hardwood floor in the house.  Even though it was alot of physical labor that would normally keep me snacking all day long - I stayed compliant and did not feel the urge to snack :D   I ended buying my husband and Mom fast food (because, no time to cook), while I stuck with my compliant leftovers.

Tomorrow will be the most challenging day - my daughter's 3rd birthday  :wub:

Day 10 - Birthday Party Madness!!

As NSVs go, this one was amazing for me.  It was my daughter's 3rd birthday, we had my Mom over, and we had a day full of fun planned. 

I managed to avoid.... belgium waffles w. whipped cream and strawberries for breakfast, pizza lunch, popcorn and soda at the movies, Birthday Cake, and a big pasta dinner w/ bread.  Whoo!!

I had my usual breakfast, leftover for lunch while everyone had pizza, a Larabar during cake time, and I made our Special Family Thick and Meaty Spaghetti Sauce with 100% compliant ingredients and ate it over a bed of roasted cauliflower.  And passing up these goodies wasn't really all that difficult. WIN!

Day 11 - Cleaning Out the Fridge

I didn't go to the grocery store on my usual Saturday, because of the party fun, so the cupboard was getting bare.  I went while the kids were napping and re-stocked.

M1:  "Whatever is left in the fridge" scramble

M2: Leftover Spaghetti sauce over roasted cauliflower

Long walk with the kids followed my some Macadamia nuts

M3: Seared salmon in olive oil and ghee, roasted sweet potato, broccoli

Day 12 - Feeling Super Good!!!

5/2/2016

Sleep: I slept solidly, but had a few interruptions, because the dog was convinced there was going to be a storm, so she stood by the bed and panted in my face until I shooed her out and closed the door. 

Exercise: I had so many errands and meetings today I could only squeeze in a small workout, but 10,000 steps complete

Meditation: No time today

Mood:  Feeling super good and productive today!  Is this the Tiger Blood?  I'll take it!

M1: 3 scrambled eggs, Whole30 bacon, asparagus, tomato & salsa

M2: Leftover salmon, sweet potato & broccoli

M3:  Well Fed's "Rogan Josh" (coconut milk braised lamb), sweet potato & green beans

Other Thoughts: I had 2 Lara Bars over the course of the weekend and... I don't love them.  They are okay, but pretty much like just eating dates.  They will definitely be saved just for emergencies.  I looked at Epic Bars this weekend and they kid of made me want to hurl.  A "meat bar"?  Icckk

My digestive system had a bad reaction to the Whole30 bacon.  I won't be repeating that.... I can live without bacon for now.

Day 13 - Plugging Along

5/3/16

Sleep: I seemed to go to bed at a reasonable time, and slept well, but this morning I just did not want to get out of bed.  I could have slept another couple of hours.

Exercise: Got on the treadmill for my 40 minute walk.

Meditation: None today - so busy

Mood: Just mentally sluggish today.  My physical energy seems fine, but my mind is dragging a bit.

M1:  Cooked ground pork, 2 scrambled eggs, zucchini, tomato, 1/2 avocado, salsa

S: 1/2 banana & cashews (Had a noon-time meeting, so I had to delay M2 until 1:30)

M2: Large salad with greens, shredded carrot, tomato, 1/2 avocado, chicken, strawberries, and Tessemae dressing

M3: Chicken Hash w/ shredded coconut

Other Thoughts:  Still no real difference in the way my clothes fit.  Maybe I just have some of the normal bloating the book describes?  It's just hard, two weeks in, to not really feel a difference.

Day 14 - Two Full Weeks

5/4/16

Sleep:  As yesterday, I seemed to have solid sleep, but when the alarm went off in the morning I was still so tired and didn't want to get out of bed.  I felt fine after breakfast and coffee, just getting out of bed is hard.

Exercise: About 30 minutes walking on the treadmill this morning. Wednesday is my super busy work day so this was all I could squeeze in.

Meditation: Nope, busy, busy day

Mood: My mood is pretty low, but I think it has more to do with being Wednesday (long, busy workday) rather than W30.  I can just never bolster enthusiasm on Wednesdays.  On the positive side, my physical energy levels are great during the day and my mid-morning and mid-afternoon snack cravings are gone.  At most I'll get a cup of coffee with a little coconut milk, but no snacks.  Yay!

M1:  2 scrambled eggs, ground pork, asparagus, zucchini, 1/2 avocado all cooked in ghee

M2: Leftover chicken hash over salad greens w/ oil & vinager & coconut shreds

M3: Hamburger on a Portabello "bun" & green salad w/ Well Fed Potato Salad & 1/2 avocado

Other Thoughts:  I still have some bloated tummy pretty often. I'm trying to identify what is causing the gassy bloat.  I started taking a probiotic.

Other Thoughts:  I still have some bloated tummy pretty often. I'm trying to identify what is causing the gassy bloat.  I started taking a probiotic.

This may sound odd, but maybe its the coconut? TMI, but coconut oil in cooking/in my meals as fat has made me gassy, bloated and had me making numerous trips to the bathroom within an hour or so of eating!  :unsure:

Maybe you could be having a similar reaction to coconut products, I notice they tend to be a staple. The link does note intestinal distress as a negative side effect. I think it wouldn't hurt to try cutting it out from a few of the same meals you've eaten with it added and see how you feel after you've had it w/o coconut products.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/141282-bad-effects-using-coconut-oil/

AND CONGRATS ON 2 WEEKS!!!!! 

Day 15 - Half Way Through!

Sleep: I slept SO soundly that I didn't remember my husband talking to e at 6am, even though I responded to him, AND I turned off my alarm and went back to sleep without remembering.

Exercise: Went for a 30 minute walk outside because it was gorgeous!  10,000 steps complete.

Meditation: Uhhh... I have lapsed again.  Really need to get back on the mat.

Mood: It was a solid "okay." 

M1:  1/2 sweet potato, 1/2 banana, almond butter, zucchini, mushrooms, 1/2 avocado  (too little protein in hindside)

M2: Leftover burger, salad greens, tomato, Tessemae dressing, potato salad

M3:  Eggroll in a bowl, potato salad

Other Thoughts: I just started taking a probiotic and my gassiness and bloating have stopped. Without any other change in diet.  So maybe that was all I needed?

Whoo!  Halfway!  Whoo!

Woohoo Half Way Through!

I just ordered some digestive enzymes and am going to start taking those and probiotics hoping to give my gut a boost.  I think it has an uphill battle cleaning things up after the disaster I've created these last bunch of decades.  Great that the probiotic worked so nicely for you!!!

I said I was going to meditate yesterday after I finished posting and then totally forgot!  Crazy how something so beneficial is so hard to work in to the day.  Today yes????!!!  I read in a study that people meditating for 12 minutes every day had a change in their brain (I'm forgetting all the details, but that was the gist) so I'm going to set my alarm for 12 minutes.  I'll do it right now!!!!  For real!  No forgetting!  You can too MommaGem - you're the one who got me going!

12 minutes later - Success!  :) My thoughts were all over the place!  We can do it.

Day 16 - Poor Sleep But Great Energy

5/6/16

Sleep: I have a super rough night of sleep last night.  Kept waking up.  But it wasn't as difficult to get out of bed this morning.  However, it was so difficult to get moving to cook breakfast.  I think in the future I need to prepackage breakfast in containers, so all I have to do is throw it in a pan and toss some eggs on it.  

Exercise:  Took a 2 mile walk outside, because it's another perfect weather morning.  Warm, but breezy, and low humidity - perfect!

Meditation:  I did it!  Because Emma told me too  ;)  Active Monkey Mind, but at least I sat

Mood:  Wow, I was in a particularly foul mood all day.  And I just felt "off" as well. I burned food I left in the oven and forgot. Lots of out of sync occurrences today.  

M1:  Ground Pork, 2 scrambled eggs, zucchini, mushroom, sweet potato, 1/2 avocado

M2:  Plate of salad greens, 2 chicken apple sausages, 1/2 avocado, asparagus, strawberries & Tessemae dressing

M3:  Sirloin steak, potato salad, and salad w/ Tessemae's dressing

Other Thoughts:  I'm getting to the point where I have learned the program enough, and I'm feeling the good benefits, that I feel it really shouldn't be difficult to keep eating this way forever. (With some reintroductions and exceptions, of course). This way of eating makes me feel GOOD.

Day 17 - Day At the Beach!

M1: Ground pork, 2 scrambled eggs, sweet potato, veggies w/ 1/2 avocado.  Breakfast is really feeling tedious, so I've decided to prep and prepackage my breakfast, so all I have to do is dump in pan, heat, and add 2 eggs.

M2: Wow, I passed another challenging day while being completely compliant!  We took the kids to the beach and had a picnic lunch.  They had sandwiches, chips, and pudding.  I had my apple chicken sausage salad with avocado and Tessemae's dressing.  You know, it's REALLY difficult to eat a green salad on a windy beach - my lettuce kept flying away  :lol:

We came home, I went straight to the grocery store to re-stock, and I did food prep the rest of the afternoon.

M3: Salmon, olives, sweet potato, Brussel sprouts 

Your salad sounds good, but yeah, salad on the beach on a windy day - not so ideal! Kudos to you for having a pretty tasty sounding lunch instead of the normal picnic beach fare.

I haven't meditated today.  I'm gonna right now before reading anybody else's posts.  Twelve minutes (unless I fall asleep). :)

Day 18 - Mother's Day

5/8/16

M1: 2 scrambled eggs, Ground Pork, veggies, sweet potato, 1/2 avocado

M2: Leftover Eggroll in a Bowl w/ 1/2 avocado

M3: BBQ Beef w/ Tessemae BBQ sauce, potato salad w/ homemade mayo, and broccoli

Not only did I make it through Mother's Day without a slip - it was also my Mom's Birthday celebration, so more birthday cake that I passed up.  So glad that it didn't even bother me. I just have no taste for cake anymore.  At my request, my husbdna purchased us both accpount with Nerd Fitness Academy so we can start getting fitter together  :wub:

Went for a nice, long stroll while the kids were napping, then took the bikes ut to ride on their tricycles.  Lots of good outdoor activity today.

We went to the beach on the same day! :) I had veggie stir fry and things kept blowing off my fork. Even bites of pulled pork were skittering off the table. And everything was gritty.  :rolleyes:

Nerd Fitness Academy sounds cool! Can't wait to hear what you think about it.

Keep up the good work!

I am also in Texas!!  We went to Galveston Island State Park - which beach did you visit?  It was really the perfect beach day weather and we had a blast.  Unfortunately the wind always seems to be present at the beach, so I'm going to have to look for more "solid" foods for next visit so they don't fly away :lol:

Archived