Starting June 1st - First Whole30

JennSeitzer

Greetings Everyone,

I have pondered about doing the Whole30 for a long time. I was just diagnosed with diverticulitis and also a mass on my kidney. I am now 5 Days Smoke-Free (with the help of the patch) and 15 Days Caffeine Free. 

After completing my antibiotics and now feeling better, I want to up my health further by healing my gut, getting clean and getting fit.

Tomorrow I will be cleaning out my pantry and will take my Before pic. I hoping that my family comes along with me but if not, no worries because I am committed to my health. After this episode, I truly began to take stock of what is important to me. I turned 46 May 7th and all of this is my gift to myself whether I begin by myself or not. Very happy to be here.

Much Love & Peace,

Jennifer  :)

• Replies 691
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey there! I'm starting June 1st also! This will be my second attempt; the first time I made it about 13 days but I definitely felt the impact; my chronic pain disappeared! Its amazing how much food can impact your health! Best of luck to you (us!); I am excited to get started!

I am starting June 1st for the first time too!   I have tried all sorts of things in the past but really feel this is doable and am excited to feel the affects of my relationships with food!

Biggest thing I am planning for currently - 2 parties on my day 5! :( But I plan on being as prepared as possible!  Good luck!

Planning to ride along in June! 

June 1st will be the one year anniversary of my first Whole30 so it's a special month for me and I'm excited to celebrate that anniversary by doing another one.  In the past year I've completed several W30's and also done a couple of months on all W30 ingredients but with some "cheats" where what I was using the ingredients for was not compliant (something like using frozen banana to make "ice cream", banana's are compliant using them to make a frozen dessert is NOT!)  It all started with that first commitment to do 30 days of clean eating and it really has changed so much for me.  I'm hoping that I can help inspire some of you just starting out on this journey, not only that it is possible to do, but that you may even find you want to do more.  I never expected to still be here a year later or to be looking at this as more than just a 30 day challenge, so if you kind of scoffed at the idea that this program could change your life....brace yourself! 

The first tip I want to pass on is that joining here on the forum was a really smart move.  It's the single most motivating factor that got me through my first round, and it's why I'm back to help support another group.  I would reccomend taking it one step further and committing to yourself to show up here every day.  That unspoken accountability to a group of people going through the same things will really help get you through some rough days.  Don't be afraid to check in no matter what stage you are at, posting about both the ups and the downs will help the entire group.  Someone else may need to hear that they aren't the only ones still struggling to get through one more day when they are still not seeing improvement...and if you are having a great day, or had a great meal, then definitely share because someone else will need that enthusiasm to keep going! 

I will be starting June 1st as well...as long as I am ready (food, book read, etc.)  I don't want to set myself up for failure.  BUT June 1st is circled as my day on the calendar.  Good luck everyone!

Thank you all SO much! I'm so grateful to not go through this alone!

The first tip I want to pass on is that joining here on the forum was a really smart move.  It's the single most motivating factor that got me through my first round, and it's why I'm back to help support another group.  I would reccomend taking it one step further and committing to yourself to show up here every day.  That unspoken accountability to a group of people going through the same things will really help get you through some rough days.  Don't be afraid to check in no matter what stage you are at, posting about both the ups and the downs will help the entire group.  Someone else may need to hear that they aren't the only ones still struggling to get through one more day when they are still not seeing improvement...and if you are having a great day, or had a great meal, then definitely share because someone else will need that enthusiasm to keep going! 

Yes! This is where I will be sharing my journey, every day as long as I can due to having surgery on June 7th.

Crimsann has great words of advice. I will be joining you all for my second W30. My two cents.. if you haven't read It Starts With Food by Melissa Hartwig, you should. Get ready. Planning and prepping are so important. Pinterest is a gold mine for great compliant recipes. Always make enough for leftovers so you have a meal or two to eat when you have a busy day and don't have the time or desire to cook. Read labels. Plan meals in weekly increments. Sign up for the daily whole30 emails that cost $14.95 to keep you even more accountable....at the end of each day you have to select whether you completed the day successfully or have to start over. The emails are full of tips and

inspiration too. This will change your life in so many ways...can't wait to take the journey with you all!!

This will be my first time with whole 30. I'm startingoing June 1st. I suffer from crohns disease, feel depressed, sluggish and am not happy with my weight. I have a love hate relationship with food and think this will be a really good way to learn what my body can and can't handle. I'm looking forward to learning and REALLY need some friends to help keep me accountable and push me. I need a lifestyle change for myself as well as my family.

Hey Junebugs! 

It's the last weekend going into your first (or not so first) Whole30 and it's a holiday weekend for some so enjoy!  But don't go nuts!  It's really tempting to have one last all-you-can-eat buffet mentality but it will only make the first few days harder so take a challenge this weekend to enjoy what you can but also deliberately look for some healthy options.  Going to a cookout?  Skip the buns and just load up a burger or take twice as much salad as you usually would and eat it first, pass on the sugary drinks and try doing some fruit infused water or the ever popular La Croix.  (It's no joke that is one thing that will stick if you get started, I still buy that stuff every week and haven't looked back...just today tried the Apple Cranberry and I'm dying because it's sooo much like green apple and I can't believe I didn't try it sooner.  I have huge emoji heart eyes right now.)

You don't have to be Whole30 yet, but see what's offered and how close you could have gotten.  You might surprise yourself! 

And if you are hitting the grocery this weekend for your first big W30 shopping trip, read every label....every label.  I can't repeat enough.  I almost messed up my very first day on Whole30 by assuming that nuts would surely be roasted in their own oils, I mean it's right there, and not realizing that my favorite cashews were roasted in peanut oil!!!  It was only because I forgot my lunch that day and had to try to run to the grocery and forage a meal that I found out.  I bought another bag, planning to stash them at my desk for emergencies (also not a great idea since I wasn't that good at recognizing an "emergency" yet) and glancing at the back of the bag while opening it I saw the word "peanut".  After that I checked labels on anything and everything up to and including bottled water.  You don't want to assume anything and it's probably going to be a rough shopping trip but I promise it will get so much easier once you start to form new favorites and know what brands are okay. 

I also agree with samnkelli that the daily emails were worth it!  There were some days I sort of rolled my eyes, but secretly I got a super big thrill out of hitting that "did it" button and seeing what goofy treat they had in store for me.  It was the first email I read every morning and it started the day off right. 

Well crazy storm blowing in here so I'm going to wish you guys a great weekend and will try to check in again before our start date!  Just remember it's perfectly normal to be about 50% excited and 50% overwhelmed/terrified/positive you can't do this.  But you can, I'm already getting the confetti ready for June 30!

well, now, I found my place.  Glad to have company, belonging, family.  community. I will need my new family to ask me how I'm doing what I did etc as doing anything life changing can NOT be done alone.  We need each other.   talking with others gets those thoughts out of your head and it's nice to know there will be some sort of reply..  

I've never done this before and I don't know what I'm going to be getting into but I have to get into a change. why because hormones are a raging B-----d.  I don't know if I'm coming or going or where I put it in the second time.  

I did not know menopause can cause all kinds of havoc on your system,  getting older on it self also causes havoc, i got sick just about every day darn day, saying to my self, now what is going to happen if i eat this. I was and still am so sick and tired of playing roulet with food.  I have no clue why it all is affecting me.  

I won't want to be long but I get to say what I've been going through,  I went to a Naturopath last year because I swear there may have been like 10 days I really felt good.. why, all the food, nothing was sitting right. I had that test to find out I have GERD on top of it all. 

The Naturopath was to me, expensive but she got things going by telling me to take,, Magnesium, Zinc, a probiotic and some really real fish oils... I said ya right, took them then stopped. Well. ya right, she was right and she told me to go gluten free. 

I heard but I did not do.. I believe I do have some sort of gluten intolerance but I don't for some reason am in denial.. Doctors don't really care until you bust a gut so to speak about why you are not feeling well. 

I want to feel well. I want to get up and go with my get up and go instead of saying, I'll see you when you get back;) lol 

So, I hope to talk to you all, learn about you and become your Junebug W302016. 

Cheryl  

Crimsann has great words of advice. I will be joining you all for my second W30. My two cents.. if you haven't read It Starts With Food by Melissa Hartwig, you should. Get ready. Planning and prepping are so important. Pinterest is a gold mine for great compliant recipes. Always make enough for leftovers so you have a meal or two to eat when you have a busy day and don't have the time or desire to cook. Read labels. Plan meals in weekly increments. Sign up for the daily whole30 emails that cost $14.95 to keep you even more accountable....at the end of each day you have to select whether you completed the day successfully or have to start over. The emails are full of tips and

inspiration too. This will change your life in so many ways...can't wait to take the journey with you all!!

Hi Kelli, I take it I'm talking to the kelly of Samnkeli, lol 

I

I've never ever ever planned a meal a side of Thanksgiving. .. It's been *just me* for years. My son didn't care what I cooked and then,I didn't plan, I just fixed what I wanted.. 

I don't know if I'll plan on this but we shall see.   it's like clothing, I decide what I want to wear that day. I don't plan for the week and I don't stress about it.. 

Hoping this will work on a daily because I can still do it that way..  

When a naturopath told me to eliminate gluten, that got me cleaning house already..  I gave a lot if not all the gluten stuff to my son. (37) so now I believe I stand pretty good on not having junk in the house.

It will be just me and you all doing this as my husband fixes his own food.. (junk) 

I'm not doing this to lose weight. I'm doing this for my health. to feel better in my gut so I will have energy and joy and a clear head. Not feel groggy after I eat something that doesn't agree with me.. so, I'm so ready for it..  Give me a whole year of it. 

Hello All, 

I'm starting another whole30 June 1st as well. Found whole30 last year in the spring when I realized I really needed to make a major change in my lifestyle. I loved whole 30 - it was challenging, but definitely got easier with time and the way it made me feel was so worth it..... continued to eat whole and healthy foods, but kinda messed up reintroduction the first time so did another "strict" whole 30 in july with a successful reintroduction. Continued to embrace what I learned and by October I had lost 50lbs and was feeling better then I had in a very long time. As my luck would have it on October 5, 2015 I was diagnosed with breast cancer. stage 2 with positive lymph nodes. Had a double mastectomy,  8 rounds of chemo, and 5 1/2 weeks of radiation  I firmly believe that being in a good state of health when I started treatments really helped. I attempted another whole 30 in April, but didn't get all the way thru. With treatments all over (last radiation was May 11) I am ready to focus on feeling good again. When I look in the mirror I still don't see the person I was before cancer, but I know step 1 is to get my eating under control and tame the sugar dragon!! I am hoping to get my energy back and start feeling normal again. 

Looking forward to being a part of this group and hearing about all of your experiences!! I want to get encouragement and am here to encourage all of you as well. We can do this!!

Hello All, 

I'm starting another whole30 June 1st as well. Found whole30 last year in the spring when I realized I really needed to make a major change in my lifestyle. I loved whole 30 - it was challenging, but definitely got easier with time and the way it made me feel was so worth it..... continued to eat whole and healthy foods, but kinda messed up reintroduction the first time so did another "strict" whole 30 in july with a successful reintroduction. Continued to embrace what I learned and by October I had lost 50lbs and was feeling better then I had in a very long time. As my luck would have it on October 5, 2015 I was diagnosed with breast cancer. stage 2 with positive lymph nodes. Had a double mastectomy,  8 rounds of chemo, and 5 1/2 weeks of radiation  I firmly believe that being in a good state of health when I started treatments really helped. I attempted another whole 30 in April, but didn't get all the way thru. With treatments all over (last radiation was May 11) I am ready to focus on feeling good again. When I look in the mirror I still don't see the person I was before cancer, but I know step 1 is to get my eating under control and tame the sugar dragon!! I am hoping to get my energy back and start feeling normal again. 

Looking forward to being a part of this group and hearing about all of your experiences!! I want to get encouragement and am here to encourage all of you as well. We can do this!!

Susabealla, 

where or what food did you find the hardest that caused the sugar dragon to rear it's sweat head?    that is a lot of weight to loose so soon.   all I can say is wow.  I can't wait to see if I loose any, even though the food change is not my intention to lose weight, if i do that's a bonus. 

I just mainly want my stomach to feel and be healthy.. 

Hi Tytbody, yes I lost 50lbs in 6 months - 20lbs before I started whole 30, 10 during my first whole 30, 10 in the month I was trying reintroduction, and 10 during a second whole 30 - and my goal wasn't weight loss either. I didn't go into this with the goal of losing weight then or now but when I started eating whole foods and stopped eating junk the weight literally melted off. Energy levels soared, aches and pains went away, and basically I was always in a good mood. And I can honestly say I was eating more food then ever before. It really was amazing. During chemo the "comfort" foods were the ones that tasted good. I was grateful for all the food that friends and neighbors dropped off but it was a lot of pasta, macs and cheese, lasagna type foods. And bread which I had completely given up became my favorite food. Ice cream also went down easy so I guess the bread and ice cream really woke the sugar dragon and I haven't really been able to tame it yet. For awhile I had the mentality that dealing with the cancer was hard enough and that I was entitled to eat junk... but I realize now that is a bad attitude and feeling lousy is the end result of that plan.  I know when I commit to the whole 30 the sugar dragon will go away and hopefully I will get back to feeling good again. Tiger blood here I come!! I kicked cancer's azz, I know I can do this!!

Hi everyone!

I will be starting my first Whole 30 on June 1st as well so I'm excited to see so many people along for the ride at the same time!

I used to do a much better job planning ahead and eating right but have fallen off the wagon lately. I was diagnosed last year with gastroparesis and I tried medication but the side effects wreaked havoc on me. My doctor agreed it can be managed by diet and I think this program will be a great kick in the pants to get myself back on track.

Best of luck to all of you! Can't wait to hear about your progress!

Sonya

Hi everyone!

I will be starting my first Whole 30 on June 1st as well so I'm excited to see so many people along for the ride at the same time!

I used to do a much better job planning ahead and eating right but have fallen off the wagon lately. I was diagnosed last year with gastroparesis and I tried medication but the side effects wreaked havoc on me. My doctor agreed it can be managed by diet and I think this program will be a great kick in the pants to get myself back on track.

Best of luck to all of you! Can't wait to hear about your progress!

Sonya

Hi Sonya and welcome to the start of a healthier life. 

when our bodies don't feel well, we pretty much don't feel like doing anything. 

I will be with you as we all go forth in 2 days.   

I've not read a lot but at least it's interesting to hear about what and how food will heal our bodies that we have confused the heck out of.. ;)  

I am doing a soft start today.  I figured, I bought all the food and prepped some stuff, so why not?  AND there's chocolate on the counter in front of me.  Thanks, co-workers.   :(

Hey! Sup! I'm starting tomorrow as well, very happy to be here with all of you. I've done Whole 30 twice before, but both times DNF unfortunately. Got to around Day 23-25, gave myself a "night off" to go to a wedding or something, and couldn't get back on the wagon. This is the only month of the year where I don't have a wedding or a vacation planned and I'm hoping it will kick start a summer of good health and good habits. I've also been working on some health stuff that I'm hoping to combat with this Whole 30. 

Having been at the rodeo before, I know more or less what to expect: it'll be hard but I'll feel amazing. I did a big shop last night and doing a "soft start" today with the real kick off happening tomorrow. Pretty excited to know that Calfiia is now Carageenan free and found their new creamer, which is compliant, in the dairy aisle at Whole Foods yesterday, which felt like a good omen. 

Here's to an amazing Whole 30! 

Me, too - just starting.  Recommended by a friend.  Have been trying to go paleo for a year or so, but love breads and sweet snacks (and, let's face it, the easy grab for stuff to eat).  Breads are going to be HARD to give up!  And planning meals is going to be hard, too.  And I'm too used to skipping b'fast and lunch. 

So, here goes.  Need to be healthier!  A newer me just ahead!

I would love to join your group, too!  I started before also and, like you lippers, did not finish; there were so many special events during the 30 days.  I kind of knew it was unrealistic going into it but thought I could manage.  For me it's about finding digestive health, gut healing, and giving up caffeine / diet Coke / alcohol (and drinking more water).  I need some long-term changes and this short-term kickstart.   

Thanks for starting the thread, Jenn.  Great job on the commitment to your health.  Susabella, so happy to hear you are a survivor!  It's surprising how addictive sugar/high carbs can be.  Crimsann, I agree "It Starts with Food" is really helpful to understand the effects of foods we are avoiding here, and you have good points about prepping.  Tytbody, planning is SO important even if you are not used to prepping/planning, so I really encourage you to look around on the website (tons of resources and tips) and get your hands on the book if possible.  Otherwise when you are hungry you will grab anything.  You don't even have to plan every meal, just get a few things cooked/chopped up -- here's a helpful link:  http://meljoulwan.com/2013/12/29/whole30-2014-week-1-meal-plan/ 

Also, love this timeline:   http://whole30.com/2013/08/revised-timeline/

Good luck and good health to all of us!  Actually it's not luck, it's what we choose each time we eat for the next 30 days.  Choose good food.  

Light reading:

30 reasons to do Whole30 by Melissa of WellFed (check out her recipes too!)

http://meljoulwan.com/2012/12/30/30-reasons-whole30/

10 tips to make your Whole30 a Success:

http://hollywouldifshecould.net/2012/09/10-tips-to-make-your-whole-30-a-success/

What the mind can conceive and you can believe, you can achieve.

Every one of us can do this. Every single one. 

Hi all!

Starting my second attempt at whole30 on June 1st! I tried it a year ago and made it about 15 days before breaking it on an anniversary dinner which turned into a year long binge. This time my month is clear with no foreseeable interruptions till July! I have no chronic health issues so this will really be for the point of loosing a few lbs!

I am doing a soft start today.  I figured, I bought all the food and prepped some stuff, so why not?  AND there's chocolate on the counter in front of me.  Thanks, co-workers.   :(

I'm with you on the soft start, I also do a ton of prepping on the weekends for the week so it's just what I brought home for this week and there was no point trying to buy some non-compliant things for one day!  Oh I tried to talk myself into several "points" but common sense prevailed.  I'm also already on board because one of my personal goals for this month really needs to start tonight!

I "need" to go on record with the fact that since this is not my first rodeo so to speak, I am trying to refine the process ever further and up the challenge just a smidge by looking at some other areas I'm struggling in beyond just eating good food.  This helps keep me focused all month and suffering with you all just a little even if the food part is a good bit easier for me now. 

The first area I needed to commit to was eating M1, and I saw someone else mention this already as well...but far too easy for me to skip that one entirely.  For June at least (I'm starting in June but planning to stay on until September) I will be making that M1 a priority, not just eating it but making sure it's template and not pretending that eating a banana counts!  In conjunction with that, I'm also implementing a curfew for myself to ensure that I'm getting more sleep and working on a more regular sleep cycle so that getting up in time to cook is somewhat more possible.  I'm also putting some focus on drinking more water by planning in some infusions as part of my overall meal plan.  I will be deliberately buying some combination of fruit/herbs/tea etc to use in the water bottle I have that has an infuser ball.  I'm starting this week with my favorite combination from last summer which was pineapple and mint. This last one is more fun that going to bed early and eating in the morning but also has a good overall benefit. 

I'm such a night owl that the early bedtime is going to be both ridiculously easy...and really, really hard.    I have to keep telling myself that putting myself to bed has to be the easiest goal I've ever come up with, I could have worked on something like running 5-miles a day.

Well.  No.  I really couldn't have.  :P  

Archived