saturated fat and inflammation

I'm curious as to how Whole30 is responding *now* to the latest research (Sept. or Oct. 2015) that again advises *against* saturated fat, saying that it leads to inflammation? Inflammation seems to be the underlying culprit for so many things. I sure would hate to give up the fats in this program but, research is saying we might have to. Your thoughts? (By the way, I LOVE Whole30!)

Thanks!

• Moderators

Please know that the "latest" research is a playground of battling agendas. If you stay around the food world for a while and read steadily you will see that attacks come out every few months and then a series of experts in the paleo world go through and highlight the distortions and exaggerations to show the "research" is not relevant to what people are actually eating in real life. This has been going on so long, I am bored with the process and don't care. I've been eating like this since 2010. Not only am I healthier now than I was in 2010, I am healthier than most people generally and healthier than almost anyone my age according to my doctor. 

If this is the study I think you're talking about, it's not based on any real world human testing. Mice testing (mice fed on "chow"), petri dish & data meta-analysis.

Bone marrow cells were extracted from mice and then experimented on. Known as a "petri dish" study, these are scientifically interesting but not real world scenarios that are useful to assess food ingestion.

While this is science, these kinds of studies aren't meaningful in helping you shop or cook and can't be used for any concrete evidence on nutrition or digestion as they don't mimic real bodies in the real world.

Humans are not mice, don't eat "chow" and we don't have fat interact directly with bone marrow cells.

Additionally, a lot of studies on "saturated fat" include dairy, which is not *just* a saturated fat, also processed meats, also not *just* meat or fat.

A lot of the parameters for food studies are actually very poor, lacking in the kind of details that consumers really want.

No, it isn't the mice. Here's the link:  http://www.jnutbio.com/article/S0955-2863%2815%2900178-3/abstract

It's a study done with humans. I tried to track down the actual study rather than an article about the study.  This was the article from which I got the link to the study:  http://www.foodnavigator.com/Science/Dietary-fat-plays-vital-role-in-inflammatory-response-and-obesity-related-disease-risk

Believe me, I'm not trying to dis Whole30! I love it and do it about every other month to stay in balance. But as inflammation is an issue for me (and most other people) I wanted to know Whole30's stand on this.

Thank you for your responses!

Archived