I'm a slow eater. Is that bad?

I'm on day 23 and so far have not really had any problems on my Whole30. Yay! But I have been wondering if my naturally slow eating could be negatively impacting the benefits of the "3 meals a day" format. I easily take an hour to eat both breakfast and lunch, assuming I'm free to do so (I do at least start breakfast within an hour of waking). If I'm in a hurry and have to eat faster, I can, but it makes me feel like I'm shoveling it in and hardly chewing.

Does spreading my meals over a long time like this make them more like grazing/less like the defined meals we should be aiming for? I eat breakfast, lunch, preWO (or mini meal on rest days, as it's 7ish hours between lunch and dinner), and dinner (my log is here), and have not had issues with cravings or wanting to snack.

• Administrators

It takes you an entire 60 minutes to sit at the table with your food and consume it? Or are you reading/web surfing/chatting etc? 

I don't know that it would negatively impact your Whole30 but it does seem like a particularly long time.  Are you getting up from your meal and doing other things and then coming back to it? If that's the case, stop doing that, sit and focus on your meal and then be done when you're done.  

Yeah, a lot of times I am doing other stuff - I pack my lunch while I eat breakfast (and usually finish it in the car or at work), and I eat lunch at my desk most days so I'm reading emails or doing other simple things. Even when I'm not doing anything besides eating, though, I'm always the last in any group to finish my meal (and I'm not super chatty!). Maybe I just need to force myself to get up 20 minutes earlier (ugh) to sit down and power through breakfast? I live by myself, so eating two meals a day sitting at the table alone with no distractions makes me think it will get boring pretty quickly... but maybe that will make me eat faster so I can get up and do something else  :huh:

• Administrators

Yes, eat as its own task.  However long that takes you.  Part of the Whole30 is learning about food and your body's interaction with it both mentally and physically.  Give it a try?

Archived