Silly questions about freezing/thawing meat

I've never been a "freezer gal". I've not been a great planner and tended to shop multiple times a week, pick up protein and then cook it straight from the fridge. So I'm a newbie at keeping a ton of protein in my freezer.

Last week I went to Costco and bought a whole bunch o' stuff to freeze (woohoo!). I know it's best to let things thaw in your fridge. My silly question is...how do you all plan/manage this? Do you plan your meals ahead of time and pull things out of the freezer to thaw in your fridge days in advance? Do your just always keep a bowl going in the fridge with things you're thawing? I pulled out stew meat 2 days ago and it's still not thawed yet (and I thought I'd be able to cook it last night).

Any words of wisdom will be much appreciated. Thanks!

It does take a little bit of planning. If you are in the mood to spend a little money, a NuWave oven totally changes that. You can even cook a whole chicken from frozen. They really are amazing. I own one and love it. If not, then feel free to start defrosting on your counter. It sort of gives it a start. I'll take something out and set it on my counter late afternoon (not if your house is super warm though) and then put it in the fridge a couple of hours later. It really helps. Is your fridge too cold? For cut up stew meat to take longer than 24 hours is odd. A 5 lb frozen chicken would definitely take 2 days or a little more.

If I am not able to plan an entire week, I generally try to at least plan one day ahead; as I am cleaning up the kitchen from the current evening's meal, I think about what I might want the next night and take it out and thaw in the refrigerator. This helps me with the "I had chicken tonight, let me change it up for beef tomorrow."

I (probably) throw food safety guidelines out the window and defrost half my proteins in warm water. The others get cooked from frozen. I'm a cook on the fly kinda girl and, while I'm always well stocked, I don't usually plan too far ahead. My SIL is a food microbiologist and does hers the same way most of the time (or just on the counter) so I take comfort there ;0)

I (probably) throw food safety guidelines out the window and defrost half my proteins in warm water. The others get cooked from frozen. I'm a cook on the fly kinda girl and, while I'm always well stocked, I don't usually plan too far ahead. My SIL is a food microbiologist and does hers the same way most of the time (or just on the counter) so I take comfort there ;0)

That's it!! Defrosting everything on the counter from now on! Don't tell the health dept. :) Of course, they don't like us eating raw eggs either, so what do they know!!

Archived