Best recipes for brussel sprouts?

So I made frozen brussel sprouts earlier this week by steaming them in the bag and adding spices afterward.  In my opinion, they were DISGUSTING.  In order to fix the problem, I ended up throwing them on the stove to char them up a bit and added some more spices (my go-to is garlic powder, onion powder, and chili powder).  They were immensely better, but still not my favorite. I dunked them in guacamole to mask the flavor.

I really liked when I baked my brussel sprouts with bacon pieces (of course, Nom Nom Paleo recipe  :rolleyes:) BUT this recipe was kind of time consuming, pretty much required fresh brussel sprouts, AND compliant bacon isn't cheap (hey, I'm a 20-something trying to make this lifestyle as affordable as possible).

I guess my question is whether anyone has a simple/inexpensive brussel sprout recipe where maybe they're baked? I'm trying to broaden my veggie spectrum while keeping my budget :)  

• Moderators

I haven't tried it with Brussel sprouts, but in general you can bake or roast frozen vegetables. They're not quite the same as doing fresh ones, but it's better than steaming them.

Usually with Brussel sprouts I toss them with whatever oil I want to use, salt, pepper, garlic powder, and onion powder and put them in a 400 degree oven until the edges brown. You can do this with them whole, halved, or shaved -- I can usually find bags of shaved Brussel sprouts in the produce section of the grocery store.

I find frozen Brussels sprouts to be mostly terrible. If you're looking to expand your horizons with easy to prepare vegetables, Brussels sprouts are probably not the way to go. But when you have the time to cook fresh ones, they are so worth it.

This is my all-time favorite BS recipe. It isn't baked, but it's darn good.

http://www.marthastewart.com/355776/brussels-sprouts-vinegar-glazed-red-onions

Just swap in ghee or coconut oil for the butter and make sure your balsamic is compliant.

Thanks for all of the tips guys!  I'm a big Aldi shopper and they had brussel sprouts on special, so I thought I'd try them.  I have done fresh in the past, and maybe that was the big difference.  

@SpunkyBug, that recipe sounds DELIVIOUS! I added it to my Pinterest page to try later :)

• 2 weeks later...

NEVER boil Brussels sprouts - there is no way to make them good after that! ;) I have never used frozen, but I saute mine in a stainless steel pan with ghee or avocado oil. Cut them in half or quarters. Once they get a little brown I add about 1/4-1/2 cup of orange juice, salt, pepper and garlic powder. Let them cook until the orange juice has completely cooked down and they are a bit caramelized. Super delicious and easy! 

One more vote for roasting! And hopefully you didn't toss that expensive bacon GREASE, because IMO, the best way to enjoy brussels is to roast them (400 or 425 ish) with bacon grease, salt and pepper. My 3-year-old pounds them down like candy, too!

1 hour ago, aprilb said:

One more vote for roasting! And hopefully you didn't toss that expensive bacon GREASE, because IMO, the best way to enjoy brussels is to roast them (400 or 425 ish) with bacon grease, salt and pepper. My 3-year-old pounds them down like candy, too!

My toddler sees me cutting Brussels sprouts and instantly begs for them. I have to make extra just to make sure I get enough because she'll eat them all!

Agreed with those saying to roast them- my fiancé steams them and I gag at both the smell and trying to eat them. So mushy and gross. 

BUT I made this recipe yesterday with dinner and it was so tasty and pretty easy. I didn't have arrowroot powder on hand so I used some tapioca flour, but I think you could just as easily get away without it at all. You could also probably get away with just roasting the Brussels sprouts from frozen without thawing and cutting, also  

http://littlebitsof.com/2016/03/lemon-sun-dried-tomato-brussels-sprouts/

I also vote for oven roasting, and this last time I roasted halved brussel sprouts, chunks of butternut squash and red pepper strips. Tossed with ghee and coconut oil, salt and pepper, and several fresh herbs from my garden. Really good hot or cold. I added the cold stuff to a salad the next day. 

Here's another option (I think they're yummy roasted too):

1. shred the sprouts (food processor is easiest, box grater could work but ouch!, I have seen them pre-shredded at our grocery store)

2. sauté in fat - I use ghee or coconut oil

3. season with salt, pepper and smoked paprika.  Add a generous glop of (compliant - Annie's for me) yellow mustard and a splash of apple cider vinegar.  Taste and adjust seasonings - if you like spicy food you could add a few drops of hot sauce or crushed red pepper)

4. Serve warm with sausage - Aidell's Chicken and Apple is good.  Because I love kraut, I add a helping of spicy fermented kraut to my plate.  

Archived