1st August start - group

lovemypaperhouse

jmcbn, thank you for your response regarding sweet potatoes and bananas! My brain has trained myself over the years that these foods were not ok, which I know is wrong...but, moderation is important. Can't be eating potatoes all day but they are still good, clean foods!!

This weekend will be my first social gathering since starting this plan (with friends...I've been in social situations with family plenty of times lately). Going to play some Shanghai rummy. These are friends that my hubs and I always drink with. I have prepared my friend that I'll be indulging in mineral water/limes. I hope that having an activity like playing cards will keep me busy enough to not want to reach out and grab the wine out of my friend's hand! She's also trying to find recipes that I can eat...I told her please don't worry about it, I don't want to be that "weird girl on a weird diet"...but I'm bringing a side dish from the whole30 book and I know they will BBQ some kind of meat. She sent me a recipe for some supposed "whole30" cookies that had chocolate chips, sugar and whole wheat flour in it.  She had no idea that there was nothing "whole30" in that recipe!  Gotta wonder who's posting recipes like that and saying they are whole30 approved.  

Took the day off from work, yay!

have a great weekend everyone :)

Nicole

Pa here's a pic of my zoodles last night...first time trying, they were way better than I ever imagined. I think if I were eating those blindfolded, I would have thought they were noodles!

image.jpeg

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, I ate four meals today. But through it all I finally got adequate veggies in my body. 

We went out to eat at an American-food restaurant tonight, and I was prepared to not eat (because I'd had a little meal a few hours earlier so that I didn't have to complicate things for my family), but my dad insisted I get something. I was apprehensive about being "that customer" with all the dietary restrictions, but with some moral support from my dad, I ordered a plain grilled salmon and a baked potato (and Dad asked them to throw some veggies on the side). So...I successfully acquired Whole30-compliant food at a regular (non-salad-bar restaurant)! It was all amazing; the salmon was grilled to perfection, the potato was...nicely potatoey, and the veggies were just what I needed (we asked what they were fried in, and the waiter said "just regular vegetable oil, no butter" so we deemed them safe by eating-out standards). 

ALSO, I ordered a spiralizer from Amazon a few days ago and it came today!! So I'm going to test it out on my last zucchini tomorrow. Crossing my fingers that it'll work; Dad was very not on board with me getting one, but he finally conceded "if it's under $15." So it's a little cheap. But we'll see if it works!

Meals:

Breakfast: 1 hard-boiled egg + 1 kiwi

Lunch: 1 can sardines + some marinated artichokes + many blueberries

Dinner #1: bowl of taco meat + salad (just lettuce and carrots) w/ olive oil and red wine vinegar + 3 prunes

Dinner #2: grilled salmon + pan-fried zucchini, beans, and carrots + a minuscule amount of baked potato

Welcome to day 20! Only 10 more days and I can really tell the difference in how I feel eating healthier these days. My energy is solid, it is finally leveling out which helps with my workouts, and my mood. All linked together for me. I have a box of summer clothing I drag out every year, and the past two summers I haven't been able to wear most, but still...I kept them. I have been wearing a couple pair of shorts and a few tops from that box the past two weeks. A measure of success for me, my belly is going away...yay. I've survived a wedding and a girlfriend get together, dinner out with husband and 2 lunch dates at work and several donut days at the office, also measures of success, Navigating life for a healthier me. When my 30 days are over I still have tools. Yesterday's meals:

Breakfast: one egg, bacon, potatoes cooked in coconut oil and melon

Lunch: romaine rolls with turkey and mustard, lemon cute and pear tomatoes, fresh pineapple and melon

Dinner: deviled eggs with avacado/mustard filling, roasted chicken, green bean. Watermelon

Have a great weekend everyone!

On 8/19/2016 at 4:38 AM, jmcbn said:

. As an side note the banana & almond butter isn't really ideal for a postWO though. Fruit postWO will replace liver glycogen when you want to replace muscle glycogen, and the fat will slow down digestion & in turn slow down the absorption of any nutrients to the muscle - stick with a lean protein & optional starchy carb - it need only be a few bites of each, so nothing too heavy.

Ooops, sorry to clarify the banana + almond butter was actually my pre-WO "meal." I go to the gym 3 days a week to meet with a trainer at 6am, and some days I just don't feel like eating anything. I did some research around pre-workout food unrelated to the whole30, and several places said that it was a good combination (although obviously not ideal for the whole30 according to the template). But I try to only do it once a week. Then post-WO I just eat my normal breakfast, because it's around the right time for that and I don't like the idea of throwing in an extra meal if I don't have to.

@OMistressElise, you're going to LOVE your spiralizer. I've used it multiple times a week for this round of my whole30. If you're making zoodles, the zucchini can make everything a bit watery. This is the best way that I've found to make everything less mushy. Zucchini is also pretty easy to overcook, it really only needs to be sauteed a few minutes so it still has a little bite (like an al dente pasta might have). 

Only 10 days to go! Yesterday I survived all kinds of "oh, poor Lindsey's" because we had a food truck catering lunch for my office and I couldn't have anything. I still heated up my food and went out to eat with everyone, but I'm kind of looking forward to the next one in two weeks where I can hopefully enjoy at least something that will fit with the off-roading plan. I also babysit last night, and I don't know how parents on the Whole30 don't constantly mess up. I made a PB&J sandwich for the 3 year old and without thinking almost licked peanut butter off my finger and took a bite of the sandwich he offered me. Thankfully I stopped myself both times, but it's crazy how many mindless eating habits there are to break. I think it partially lead to my guilt dreams last night - I don't even remember what I ate, but know that I felt terrible about it!

5 hours ago, kwantum said:

Halfway through day 21!

Not sure wether I'll make it past day 27 .  I'll be off in Vienna days 27 to 30 and I have my heart set on Sachertorte at Sacher.

think, think, :)

I think this is one of those life moments you don't want to miss for whole30! :)

14 minutes ago, cashnic72 said:

I think this is one of those life moments you don't want to miss for whole30! :)

@cashnic72 - hey, aren't you supposed to support me toward forsaking all non-compliant food and keeping me away from the dark side? ;)

Seriously, reading the posts in this topic is a big push to keep me on track. Thank you for posting, fellow-whole30ers! Just curious how the silent ones are doing. Let's hear from you!

Still going, day 19 for me. 

B: 2 eggs, pico de gallo, 1/2 avocado, some strawberries and banana

L: chicken salad with can chicken, avocado, almond slivers, diced Apple, diced pickle and boiled egg. Handful blueberries

D: planned to have chicken breasts grilled and attempting cauliflower fried rice I found on mom mom Paleo. I can tell my kids and husband are SUPER excited about it. *totally sarcastic*

Funny story...my 8 year old told me that lately she's been poopping a lot and it's all soft...versus hard pellets!! I know, TMI!! But I'm sure it's because she's eating what I'm eating, which has clearly helped her bathroom habits. LOL

more rain for us down in Houston. Too much, I'm sick of it. But hey my shorts fit sooo much better this morning so who cares, let it rain!!

Nic

day 21! Time sure flies.

Meals are still going ok, sleeping like a baby. Everything well except for last friday. Woke up feeling a little shaky and queasy, I couldn't stand up for more than two minutes without sweat breaking out, so back tot bed and I slept of and on all day, drank tea and water when awake and managed to eat a banana for lunch and one for dinner. Next day everything was back to normal. One-day-flu?

My favorite meal is oven-roasted brussels sprouts with bacon bits with a burger or sausage and some oven roasted potatoes. sprouts and potatoes sprinkled with olive oil. Even though it is summer, I could eat it every day.

for lunch I just made lettuce leaves with tuna/apple/onion salad. Delicious!

Only 9 more days, can you believe it? Hang in everybody.

Karin

One of the silent viewers here, so far overall not too bad even with last minute plan changes where I had to go out to eat several times this weekend. Found places that I could customize a salad to work for me. Of course this meant hungry for the next meal was sooner than anticipated. 

My goal is to do this at least for 45 days before a very slow reintroduction phase. 

Laura

Weekend almost over, and back to work and new week. I tried two new things this weekend, zoodles (I saw the photo above and it encouraged me - thanks, cashnic72 and roasted Brussel sprouts/green apples/onion and garlic....so delishious.  I purchased a little tool at Bed, Bath and Beyond for about $7 and it worked great, and fast, to make the zoodles. They do have a LOT of water to wick out, but it is worth the time. The leftover zoodles were used in a cold chopped sale with carrots, onions and cherry tomatoes with a rice wine vinegar and oil dressing. Even my husband liked the zoodles, and he is a pasta guy! We are on the home stretch for our W30, very exciting. I hope everyone has a wonderful week! 

Hi everyone.  Well I was just progressing along nicely then bam! Feeling discouraged and not sleeping well at all. What the heck? Yesterday I felt like I really haven't lost much weight. I feel like the belly has made very little progress. That's frustrating. I think I need to be more realistic, I'm im my 40's and that belly is probably just something I will have. But really not sure what's going on with the sleep. As soon as I posted I was "sleeping like a boss," I must have jinxed myself!! Now I'm waking up at 4 am, laying there for a couple of hours, falling asleep and then I'm SO TIRED when the alarm goes off. The only thing I can think is that I didn't work out as much last week, only got two days in. So this week I'm going to up the exercise and see if it works.

Judip - glad you enjoyed your zoodles. They are kind of fun to make! Like you, I also have rediscovered a love for Brussels sprouts, made them last night with bacon, ghee, garlic, balsamic vinegar and salt/pepper...my kids were mad because we didn't have enough for seconds!! It's a miracle! 

Hope I'm just in this final slump that will pass. The food is fine, still appetizing...but I just don't feel that tiger blood like I thought I would. :(

Nicole

I cannot BELIEVE it is already Day 22! Suddenly there are only 8 days left and I don't know where the time went (or how I made it this far)!

I've been absent from the forum for a few days because we've been MOVING IN to our new house! My mental state has been chaotic, and I kind of reverted to binge-eating as much fruit as I could get my hands on for the past two days. Not my finest Whole30 hours. But now things are a bit more settled, and I'm making up my veggie count this week. 

(And I made another batch of mayonnaise with the new extra-light olive oil we bought, so life is good.)

Today's Meals:

Breakfast: 2 eggs scrambled w/ onion, red pepper, and spinach in olive oil

Lunch: 1 can tuna w/ mayonnaise, horseradish, dill, and paprika + very many green beans w/ salt and garlic powder

Dinner: 3 helpings of homemade curry chicken w/ carrots, red and green peppers, onions, and basil + salad w/ cherry tomatoes, cucumber, and carrots (topped w/ olive oil and red wine vinegar)

I can't tell if I've been sleeping better, but I must say I'm sleeping more...comfortably, I guess. My new room is twice as dark, my new bed is twice as soft, and I've been turning off my phone at least 30 minutes before I turn out the lights (thus my brain isn't spinning when my head hits the pillow). 

Today was manageable. That's all I have to say about that. 

Meals:

Brunch: 2 helpings leftover curry chicken + 12 cherry tomatoes

Snack: 1 whole sweet potato (made into toasts) w/ salt, pepper, and homemade mayonnaise

Dinner: 2 helpings leftover curry chicken + 1/2 cucumber in olive oil and balsamic vinegar + 1 large bowl salad w/ shredded carrots and cherry tomatoes, topped w/ olive oil and balsamic vinegar

Evening Indulgence: 1 banana + probably more almond butter than I needed w/ raisins

Day 23 for me. Going well. Sleep is not as great as I hoped but I think there are two factors at play here: 1) not exercising definitely makes a difference and 2) my husband snores.  He travels a lot and I have slept very soundly when he's not here. That's another issue for another day though :)

today I worked at home and made a great lunch...it's the recipe for cauliflower fried rice on Nom Nom Paleo's app. It is SO SO GOOD. Seriously the best thing I have eaten on this plan, and possibly Better than real fried rice. No joke it's amazing. Here's a pic. 

image.jpeg

Getting through it. I've been dealing with some things that make me want to reach for comfort food, but I'm staying compliant! Heading into the homestretch here, one more week to go, WOOT WOOT.

I wonder how many folks are still with us? Any more check-ins from the quiet ones? I'm looking forward to reintroductions, I miss oatmeal!  

WOW, that cauliflower dish looks amaze-balls. 

Checking in.  Hanging in there.  Sleep is much better.  cravings are manageable.  I find I want to eat when I'm tired.  In general I feel much better.  My plan is to keep at the whole30 and reintroduce when it seems pressing.  like up coming events etc  I want to try and be thinking before jumping into old eating foods.  Still on my first cup of coffee so I'm not sure if I am making sense.  lol

I'm still here. My job keeps me on the move all day so I'm not always able to check in.  This last couple of days I've been dragging as well. I looked back and realized that I don't have enough carbs/fat in my meals so I took some time last night to really plan out the rest of my week. I'd hate to end feeling tired/dragging and find myself only remembering that feeling when I look back.

This morning's breakfast: 2 egg omelette with spinach, yellow peppers, avocado and onion, hashbrowns, and whole 30 approved sausage.

Lunch: Grilled chicken salad with avocado, spinach, cucumbers, carrots, and a tomato salsa on top with a small fruit salad.

Dinner: Pork and potatoes in a spicy red tomato sauce, salad with hard boiled egg, and grilled green peppers and onions.

Can't believe we're almost done!

Hello - checking in today as yesterday I had an extremely emotional and stressful day - but guess what? I made some good choices for food that at any other time I am certain I wouldn't have! W/o too much story I spent 72 hours awake and at a hospital helping a loved one through a traumatic time. I was exhausted and stressed and the cafeteria and coffee shop (when I had time) was FULL of options not W30 compliant.

However, I slowed down, and talked to the cooks and they were good to work with me on changing some prep of food up a bit. I leaned on big prepared salads, and proteins, and fruit and walked away for the bakery items, pizza and pasta that drove me wild with smells, lol. I walked the hospital grounds when I had to get away and think. Believe me friends, that is NOT how I would have handled that situation a month ago. I am learning. Just thank goodness they place didn't have a bar - because I really could have used a drink during those long hours and I don't know if I could have passed on that one!

Just a few more days now, and I am feeling good about food in my life again, and you bet I am going to make that cauliflower fried rice cashnic72 - I love the website you shared as well! This page is such a great resource.

Have a great day, everyone!

That cauliflower fried rice recipe looks amazing, will definitely be adding that to the food queue for next week (the last 2 days!).

Still hanging in here, but to be honest I'm ready to start reintroducing the "unseen bad stuff" like sugars/nitrates/etc. It's easy to look at something and know if it's complaint or not in terms of grains/dairy/etc, and I think after this whole30 is finished I'll definitely stick with either removing or strictly limiting those things (after my fist slice of pizza... oooh pizza) because that aspect honestly hasn't been hard for me. It's just the not being able to go out to eat and pick out a paleo lettuce wrapped burger without worrying that they used a lesser oil to cook it in, or the sauce on it included honey or the bacon on it had sulfites, that's getting old. I know those unseen bad things all add up after a period of time, but hopefully since I'm not planning on going out to eat 5x a week it shouldn't be too big of an issue. 

But I'm probably just feeling extra whiney today because the end is near and I'm feeling all kinds of bloated. The pork and beef I made in my crockpot for go-to proteins both had too much salt and I think I'm just not getting enough water to balance it. My coworkers keep telling me that they can tell I've lost weight, so I guess it's not as noticeable to other people (clothing FTW). 

5 days to go, congrats to everyone for making it this far!

Quite one over here - Yeah for day 25!

I'm going to go 45 day and will decide if I want to do 60 at that point.  Still have on and off brain fog, which I find annoying, but overall I feel so much better.  

Panic moment last weekend - I had to eat out 3 times last weekend, was very challenging as I didn't know we were going out for two of the meals. Almost burst into tears at the first meal.  We went to a pizza/pasta place and thankfully they could make something for me that was taking some ingredients I could have and put them together.  Third meal made me sick as I haven't had conventional beef in a long time.    Sleep this week is wonky ever since the dining out.  Good to know the challenges because I have another event this weekend.  

That cauliflower fried rice looks amazing.  

7 hours ago, Calisteph80 said:

I'm still here. My job keeps me on the move all day so I'm not always able to check in.  This last couple of days I've been dragging as well. I looked back and realized that I don't have enough carbs/fat in my meals so I took some time last night to really plan out the rest of my week. I'd hate to end feeling tired/dragging and find myself only remembering that feeling when I look back.

I just realized the same thing on carbs.  Need to do more actual planning instead of my mix n match method.

1 hour ago, lindsey1125 said:

But I'm probably just feeling extra whiney today because the end is near and I'm feeling all kinds of bloated. The pork and beef I made in my crockpot for go-to proteins both had too much salt and I think I'm just not getting enough water to balance it. My coworkers keep telling me that they can tell I've lost weight, so I guess it's not as noticeable to other people (clothing FTW). 

I did read in one of the books or blogs that it wasn't unusual to get bloated again around days 21-25 (ish).  I feel your pain however, I have a skirt feel tight at the waist and it wasn't tight before I started. 

15 hours ago, Judip said:

Hello - checking in today as yesterday I had an extremely emotional and stressful day - but guess what? I made some good choices for food that at any other time I am certain I wouldn't have! W/o too much story I spent 72 hours awake and at a hospital helping a loved one through a traumatic time. I was exhausted and stressed and the cafeteria and coffee shop (when I had time) was FULL of options not W30 compliant.

However, I slowed down, and talked to the cooks and they were good to work with me on changing some prep of food up a bit. I leaned on big prepared salads, and proteins, and fruit and walked away for the bakery items, pizza and pasta that drove me wild with smells, lol. I walked the hospital grounds when I had to get away and think. Believe me friends, that is NOT how I would have handled that situation a month ago. I am learning. Just thank goodness they place didn't have a bar - because I really could have used a drink during those long hours and I don't know if I could have passed on that one!

Just a few more days now, and I am feeling good about food in my life again, and you bet I am going to make that cauliflower fried rice cashnic72 - I love the website you shared as well! This page is such a great resource.

Have a great day, everyone!

So sorry about your loved one.  praying things are better.  what an awesome victory!!!!

We are almost there!

Dinner day 27 will be BBQ meat, tomato salad, potato salad and home made garlic sauce .

The last 3 days I don't expect a problem. Feeling good, sleeping very good, but I'm happy to introduce dairy again.
I miss my yoghurt with fruit and granola for breakfast, so that will be the first thing I'm introducing.

Hope you alle hang in there and finish this.

We can do this!

love Karin

Archived