1st August start - group

lovemypaperhouse

13 hours ago, OMistressElise said:

And today. 

I'm feeling pretty solid. No notable increase in energy, and my sleep has been rather disappointing, but I have a positive attitude about life. I went to a pizza party last night and didn't have a single craving, despite the fact that the yeasty smell permeated the entire room. :P

The biggest (and weirdest) thing for me right now is my mind's response to a lack of cravings. As I am no longer craving sugar, my brain doesn't know what to do with itself; I've lived with sugar cravings for pretty much my entire life, and suddenly there's an empty space in my brain that I don't know what to do with. Maybe I need to find a hobby. :lol:

Meals:

Breakfast: fruit salad w/ blueberries, strawberries, and raspberries (I know, Bad Elise, but so help me, I couldn't stomach another egg)

Lunch: sweet potato slices topped w/ avocado, salt, pepper, and lemon zest

Dinner: taco salad w/ lettuce, ground beef, chopped onion, avocado, and salsa; 1 plum

Happy Day 14 everyone!  DAY 14!!!!!!!   Feels sooooo good!

Hey Elise, congrats on craving elimination.  I'm there too with the sugar, although I think it may be harder if everyone was stuffing pizza in their faces in front of me... maybe not!  I hope not!  I feel like I'm in the tiger blood phase - increased energy, good sleeping, waking early ready for the day!

I don't always eat the template either but I don't feel bad about it.  Sometimes you just don't feel like it or have access to the right foods.  I think you have to listen to your body while making compliant choices - yesterday I had chicken & avocado in my salad at lunch but last night I just felt like a plain salad with cut up strawberries in it.  :)

Anyway, we're almost at the half way mark.  Way to go y'all!

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Day 14 feels good! Last night I dreamed I blew it all by eating a saline with butter on in. Good gief. It could have at least ban a slice of pizza : ) 

I am feeling great, more energy and no night time snacking for 4 days in a row. I have also taken to heart the suggestion of not eating so many small meals, giving my digestion a break. Much better. 

Have a great Sunday, everyone. Half way there!

I MADE MAYONNAISE. Okay admittedly my mom whipped everything together with the beaters and I just drizzled in the cup of light olive oil and added the lemon-juice-to-taste (1 tablespoon did the trick), but the bottom line was IT DONE GOT MADE. And guys it was so delicious...I'm tempted to go eat a spoonful right now, I kid you not. 

So needless to say, Day 14 is coming to a beautiful close. 

Meals:

Brunch: 11 shrimp w/ Dijon mustard + 1 medium-sized tomato + 1 can French-style green beans

"Snack": 2/3 bottle of Gingerade kombucha

Dinner: 1 can tuna w/ homemade mayonnaise, horseradish, dill, and chili powder + 5 prunes

Even though I woke up exhausted and skipped breakfast because I was so over food, I'm finishing the day feeling whole and healthy, and now that I have mayonnaise, a world of food possibilities has opened up. And tomorrow is Halfway Day, so WOOHOO!

And of course, amazing job to everyone for making it two weeks!! You are strong and beautiful and can crush the next 16 days!

Day 15, done. I am feeling good, more energy, feeling like my mind is more free to explore and do other things as I am not thinking about food, or what I am going to eat next. This is important for me to note as most of my food issues have been related to boredom eating. Now I am fuller longer, and feel satisfied when I do eat. I am beginning to connect the food for fuel thing more often than not and that is big for me.

Breakfast: Ghee and two scrambled eggs with spinach, mushrooms and onions and melon with blueberries.

Lunch: Chopped greens with tomatoe, cilantro, onion, olives and taco beef with salsa and balsamic dressing and serving of melon

Dinner: Zucchini stuffed with Italian sausage topped with homemade sauce, side of grilled squash, mushrooms and onions

Water, lots of water....it has been hot and I have been thirsty! 

Hey, we made it two weeks, let's rock this week! 

WHOA-OA WE'RE HALFWAY THE-ERE...

(And now I'll have that song stuck in my head all night.)

I ate a lot today. Partially because I wanted to consume as much mayonnaise as possible, but also because I just wanted to eat everything. But there was a lot less guilt about today than I would experience normally, because everything I ate was healthy!

Meals:

Breakfast: 1 hard-boiled egg smashed w/ mayonnaise and spices + bowl of raspberries

Lunch: 3 small salmon burger patties (made collectively from 1 6-oz can salmon, 1 egg, chopped onion, Dijon mustard, basil, and other spices) with mayonnaise, marinated artichokes

Dinner: 2 garlic herb chicken sausages with mayonnaise and Dijon mustard, 4 chopped carrots fried in olive oil w/ spices + 1 pear + 1 wild plum + 3 prunes

Evening indulgence: 1 bottle Guava Goddess kombucha

I feel like I ate something more for lunch...ah well; I'll probably remember in the middle of the night. :P

1 hour ago, Judip said:

Breakfast: Ghee and two scrambled eggs with spinach, mushrooms and onions and melon with blueberries.

Lunch: Chopped greens with tomatoe, cilantro, onion, olives and taco beef with salsa and balsamic dressing and serving of melon

Dinner: Zucchini stuffed with Italian sausage topped with homemade sauce, side of grilled squash, mushrooms and onions

Your meals sound GREAT!

OMistressElise, two things:

1) I encourage you to eat MORE vegetables! The meal template is your friend! PILE ON THOSE VEGGIES, BABY!!

2) I think you are a total ROCK STAR for doing the Whole30 at age 17!! Seriously. Seriously. Seriously.

37 minutes ago, vozelle said:

OMistressElise, two things:

1) I encourage you to eat MORE vegetables! The meal template is your friend! PILE ON THOSE VEGGIES, BABY!!

2) I think you are a total ROCK STAR for doing the Whole30 at age 17!! Seriously. Seriously. Seriously.

I totally agree on both counts!!

You're doing fab @OMistressElise, but you could do with more veg, and especially at breakfast (when you could also do with food in general!) - you'll see a HUGE difference if you embrace the template for meal one...

Keep up the great work every one - two weeks in the bag!!

Yeah everyone! 

I slept through all the way last night - first time in ages. It may have been helped by two hour yoga and a epsom salt bath though.

Hope everyone's doing well. I'm reaching the food boredom stage a little bit but got a BBQ tonight at my parents, so at least there's no washing up!

Sarah x

Slept fitfully till 11:30 today; why has my sleep sucked this month?? I've been waking up automatically at 8:15—exhausted—every day, regardless of what time I go to sleep (which is usually late). I can fall back asleep from time to time (like this morning), but it's never very restful. Maybe I need more of some nutrient...or a bedtime snack or something. 

But despite that, my Day 16 has been lovely. Finished my mayonnaise. RIP Batch Number 1. I'll make more once we move into our new house over the weekend. 

(And I hear y'all about the vegetables; I've been focusing more on meat and mayonnaise than I should! Veggies shall make a comeback this week.)

Meals:

Brunch: 1 can tuna w/ mayonnaise and spices + 3 Trader Joe's prepackaged cantaloupe slices + 3 prunes

Dinner: 2 chicken sausages w/ mayonnaise and Dijon mustard + a few marinated artichokes + 5 prunes

Sorry @OMistressElise - I'm sorry to keep banging on about this as this is a support group, but I'm here to hand out the tough love, and your poor sleep is due to your late bed time & your lack  of food!

I get that you're 17, and I know how late I used to hang out back then :ph34r: but for this to really work a lot of things come into play - sleep hygiene being a biggy. Regular bed times providing 8-9hrs sleep, no screentime for an hour before bed, dim the lights in your room from sunset onwards to mimic the natural light outdoors, bedroom should be cooler than other rooms, black out curtains & no blue lights from clocks etc., 15mins out doors in the sun upon wakening (or  at least 15mins in the sun at the same time every day - longer if it's cloudy) - all contribute to good sleep... Are there any changes there that could be made? Are you taking a magnesium supplement?

And re the food - we've talked about the veg, but you're also regularly only eating two meals - and they're not huge either - you're body is also struggling to wind down because it's hungry. Sorry, but that's the long & the short of it.

hi everyone, still here...have been busy with work but I'm doing great on the plan.  I have had my mother in law at my house for over a week...it has been trying at times and I've REALLY wanted to reach for a drink!  I have seriously considered "how bad would a club soda, lime and a splash of vodka be?"  Then I tell myself NO!  You have come this far, don't let this situation kill your progress.  She will be moving into a house soon and I have to remember this is only temporary.  

I have been staying compliant completely, but am starting to feel bad about eating certain "compliant" foods like sweet potatoes, bananas, etc.  I don't think this is healthy.  I'm having like one serving of these types of foods a day, is that ok?  I have done this in the past on certain diets to where I make myself miserable because I'm overly conscious about the rules.  If anyone can give me some advice on this, that would be great.  

Nicole

I'm still at it and doing good...have not had a stove since Friday...OMG that is hard...had to go to my friends to make eggs...it comes tomorrow...same day courier me arse...LOL

Tiger blood galore...yippeee...feeling light on my feet...I know the fat is coming off because I can see it...yahoo!

Nancy

18 hours ago, jmcbn said:

Sorry @OMistressElise - I'm sorry to keep banging on about this as this is a support group, but I'm here to hand out the tough love, and your poor sleep is due to your late bed time & your lack  of food!

I get that you're 17, and I know how late I used to hang out back then :ph34r: but for this to really work a lot of things come into play - sleep hygiene being a biggy. Regular bed times providing 8-9hrs sleep, no screentime for an hour before bed, dim the lights in your room from sunset onwards to mimic the natural light outdoors, bedroom should be cooler than other rooms, black out curtains & no blue lights from clocks etc., 15mins out doors in the sun upon wakening (or  at least 15mins in the sun at the same time every day - longer if it's cloudy) - all contribute to good sleep... Are there any changes there that could be made? Are you taking a magnesium supplement?

And re the food - we've talked about the veg, but you're also regularly only eating two meals - and they're not huge either - you're body is also struggling to wind down because it's hungry. Sorry, but that's the long & the short of it.

I completely get it; I willingly concede that my sleep routines have been less than optimal. Not only do I have a really hard time making myself go to bed before midnight, but I've been living in a temporary-housing apartment for 4 months, where my (shared) bedroom has a non-dimming light and naught but inconvenient shade slats to block the light from the street lamps, and my dad watches TV all night right outside my room (thus I've been using my phone as a noisemaker to block out the TV sound, but it provides a huge temptation to play around on my phone when I don't turn it all the way off :P). So it's been a rocky summer for sleep. However, we will be moving into an actual house this weekend, where I will have my own room with fully-closing shades (and no streetlights in the neighborhood) and the TV far away from my room (thus no need to leave my phone on at night). 

And I will try to get outside in the morning; I'm very much an "inside" person, but if getting out will help me sleep better...Arizona sun, here I come!

(As for magnesium, I am not currently taking any [I've looked for Natural Calm at Whole Foods and some other grocery stores but can't find it], but I think we have some calcium-magnesium supplements in storage, so I'll check when we finally get our stuff into our new house over the weekend.)

And for the record, I really appreciate your advice this month! I know I'm no expert in the field of health and nutrition, so your expertise is very beneficial on my journey. 

Nothing impressive to report for Day 17; awake till 3:15 last night because my brain wouldn't shut down, but I slept a little easier once I finally drifted off. 

Oh also the thick elastic waistband on the dress I wore today no longer crushes my stomach. *fist pump*

Meals:

Brunch: sweet potato-zucchini latkes (collectively consisting of 1 small zucchini, 1 sweet potato, 1 egg, 1 tbsp coconut flour, and spices) fried in ghee and olive oil + 5 prunes

Dinner: delicious egg wraps (collectively consisting of 2 eggs fried in ghee and wrapped around 1/2 avocado, 1 chorizo sausage, 1 small tomato, and some spinach)

Day 17 down. Breakfast was a potato patty cooked in coconut oil with fresh herbs, fried egg on top and a slice of bacon. Lunch a chopped salad, egg, turkey, cukes, tomatoes with balsamic, melon and fresh pineapple for dessert. Dinner was baked salmon with mushrooms and onions, green beans with new potatoes and ghee, and fresh tomatoes, blueberries for dessert. I am enjoying the chopped salads a lot in the hotter weather. Much like a Cobb salad, and I can add a variety of protiens. Sure keeps me full until dinner.

I am feeling pretty good, had a few bad sleep nights this week, but I also missed going to the gym a few days and I find if I get an hour of walk, workout, something in on a regular basis, I sleep much better. I had a social event last night that I knew involved 12 women friends, wine, food and desserts....I wasn't going to go, but decided I can't avoid these things as I do not have a huge social life as it is, lol. I ate a great meal before I went, I talked and kept moving (away from the food tables...) and had fresh fruit when dessert time came.....I had fun, and no one noticed I didn't drink, or eat what they ate, so it was a success. 

Hope everyone is having a great week!

Minor food/kitchen boredom and no tiger blood for me, but stoked for those of you who are feeling it! I'll keep on keepin' on, because I KNOW it's totally worth it, and I feel pretty good overall and really enjoy eating this way generally.

Day 18. Rock it!

13 hours ago, OMistressElise said:

I completely get it; I willingly concede that my sleep routines have been less than optimal. Not only do I have a really hard time making myself go to bed before midnight, but I've been living in a temporary-housing apartment for 4 months, where my (shared) bedroom has a non-dimming light and naught but inconvenient shade slats to block the light from the street lamps, and my dad watches TV all night right outside my room (thus I've been using my phone as a noisemaker to block out the TV sound, but it provides a huge temptation to play around on my phone when I don't turn it all the way off :P). So it's been a rocky summer for sleep. However, we will be moving into an actual house this weekend, where I will have my own room with fully-closing shades (and no streetlights in the neighborhood) and the TV far away from my room (thus no need to leave my phone on at night). 

And I will try to get outside in the morning; I'm very much an "inside" person, but if getting out will help me sleep better...Arizona sun, here I come!

(As for magnesium, I am not currently taking any [I've looked for Natural Calm at Whole Foods and some other grocery stores but can't find it], but I think we have some calcium-magnesium supplements in storage, so I'll check when we finally get our stuff into our new house over the weekend.)

And for the record, I really appreciate your advice this month! I know I'm no expert in the field of health and nutrition, so your expertise is very beneficial on my journey. 

Good luck with your move, what a relief that will be!  : )

On 8/17/2016 at 8:59 AM, cashnic72 said:

I have been staying compliant completely, but am starting to feel bad about eating certain "compliant" foods like sweet potatoes, bananas, etc.  I don't think this is healthy.  I'm having like one serving of these types of foods a day, is that ok?  I have done this in the past on certain diets to where I make myself miserable because I'm overly conscious about the rules.  If anyone can give me some advice on this, that would be great.  

I'm glad that you said this, because I've been going through the same struggle. I never ate sweet potatoes before this but decided to branch out and try them - now I can't believe what I was missing. But because they're so sweet I feel like I'm cheating in eating them so I only do a few times a week. And I've been limiting my fruit so much that I'm barely eating any (unless it's in a larabar I eat maybe twice a week when I'm working later than I'd planned and getting hungry, or a banana with almond butter pre-AM workout when I can't stomach anything heavier). Fruit was never a "food with no brakes" for me, but I've been avoiding it like it is.

Any advice on dealing with this? Even if it's just reassurance from a mod that we're not breaking rules and what the ideal serving of fruit is a day/week? :)

On another note, it's day 18 and I'm feeling AWESOME. I've got more motivation to work out because I've been eating so well that I don't want it to go to waste, and then working out makes me want to eat even better. My cowoker told me today that I was looking skinnier, and my fiance compared a picture he took of me at the beach a little over a month ago to one he took this past weekend at the beach, and there was a noticeable difference. I prepped way more food this week than previous weeks and am using my crockpot more, so every aspect is just better and sunshine-y this week. I hope everyone else is doing well, 12 days to go! 

36 minutes ago, lindsey1125 said:

I'm glad that you said this, because I've been going through the same struggle. I never ate sweet potatoes before this but decided to branch out and try them - now I can't believe what I was missing. But because they're so sweet I feel like I'm cheating in eating them so I only do a few times a week. And I've been limiting my fruit so much that I'm barely eating any (unless it's in a larabar I eat maybe twice a week when I'm working later than I'd planned and getting hungry, or a banana with almond butter pre-AM workout when I can't stomach anything heavier). Fruit was never a "food with no brakes" for me, but I've been avoiding it like it is.

Any advice on dealing with this? Even if it's just reassurance from a mod that we're not breaking rules and what the ideal serving of fruit is a day/week? :)

On another note, it's day 18 and I'm feeling AWESOME. I've got more motivation to work out because I've been eating so well that I don't want it to go to waste, and then working out makes me want to eat even better. My cowoker told me today that I was looking skinnier, and my fiance compared a picture he took of me at the beach a little over a month ago to one he took this past weekend at the beach, and there was a noticeable difference. I prepped way more food this week than previous weeks and am using my crockpot more, so every aspect is just better and sunshine-y this week. I hope everyone else is doing well, 12 days to go! 

Yeah I have to say I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one. I was already planning on having some sweet potato with my dinner tonight :)

i guess since both of us fee better and are losing weight, we can assume the sweet potatoes and fruit aren't too detrimental to our progress! 

23 hours ago, OMistressElise said:

Nothing impressive to report for Day 17; awake till 3:15 last night because my brain wouldn't shut down, but I slept a little easier once I finally drifted off. 

Oh also the thick elastic waistband on the dress I wore today no longer crushes my stomach. *fist pump*

Meals:

Brunch: sweet potato-zucchini latkes (collectively consisting of 1 small zucchini, 1 sweet potato, 1 egg, 1 tbsp coconut flour, and spices) fried in ghee and olive oil + 5 prunes

Dinner: delicious egg wraps (collectively consisting of 2 eggs fried in ghee and wrapped around 1/2 avocado, 1 chorizo sausage, 1 small tomato, and some spinach)

Elise- You are so awesome!  I love how you are soaking up the advice of others who have been there... Done that.  It's a great quality you have. 

As someone who has fought with sleep issues off and on, I found a Yoga Nidra meditation youtube, that if I wake up in the night, or have trouble going to sleep...I queue it up, and follow along with Swami J... I always fall asleep.  I even used it this week when I was traveling for work, staying in a hotel, woke up at 4 am.... Put on Swami J and I was back asleep within minutes.  

If you care to give it a try I'd love to know if it helped you. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=LqU4QkgQCK0

Breakfast: eggs scrambled with veggie hash and sausage. Melon.

Lunch: spinach salad with fresh pineapple, grilled chicken, tomatoes and avacado 

Dinner: leftover steak sautéed with onion, garlic, peppers on top of small baked potato, olives, avacado and salsa. Watermelon.

I had a weird food day. I was enjoying my salad...and suddenly...I couldn't finish my lunch, i shut down, but I did eat the protein,  i knew i should do that. It was like my mouth/tastebuds, went on strike. I suddenly didn't want to eat anymore, and it wasn't satisfying or hitting my craving.

Around 3pm of course, I felt hungry, but for what? I left my office and walked next door to the local coffee shop and thought maybe a banana might do it for me. They keep the bananas right next to....the baked goods; donuts, cinnamon rolls, etc....no bananas today in sight. I read labels on every protein bar avaliable (no larabars ) on the shelf....then I read every package of nuts....all had added sugar. I was feeling a little anxiety...

I settled on a small bag of carrots. I paid as much for them as I would have with a pound of fresh in the market.

Lesson: be prepared for the crazy crave day. I made it through the next few hours, and was near tears when I got home just going nuts over what I felt I wanted/needed, but didn't want! It was wild , but I made it!

Whew. Day 18 crazy crave day. Behind me.

OKAY SO HERE'S THE THING. We spent some time in our new house today while it was empty and clean, and my dad poured everyone a little Chinet cup of prosecco to celebrate. So I was naturally like "Oh my gosh he's actually going to let me drink this! PARTAY." And it completely slipped my mind that to do so meant completely blowing my Whole30. Since I really never drink alcohol unless it's stolen sips of champagne on New Year's, it's not like it was on my radar screen to make sure I avoided it at all costs for this month, and thus...I drank it down without a second thought. (The reality of the action hit me about 10 minutes later and for a while I had no idea what to think. :lol:)

I'm of course going to keep going on my Whole30 as if nothing happened, because there's not much else I can do! But...it happened. I blew my Whole30 on a Chinet cup of alcohol at 17. Ah, life. 

Also, I tried to make mayonnaise again, but I had to substitute a bit of EVOO for light olive oil because I ran out of the latter. It turned out with an okay consistency, but it tasted way too much like olive oil. It worked for my tuna, but I'll probably throw out the rest tomorrow. 

Meals:

Breakfast: 1 hard-boiled egg + 1 pear

Lunch: 1 can tuna w/ mayonnaise and spices + 5 prunes

Snack: some marinated artichokes + 7 prunes

Dinner: much taco meat + 1/2 avocado

Evening indulgence: 1/2 Guava Goddess kombucha...and some prosecco

Not my best meal day, I admit, but we were rushing out the door a couple of times today, so I just ate what was fast. (And we have very little food in the house because mom won't go grocery shopping till we're moved out of the apartment.)

(And thanks for the well wishes and sleeping advice! I appreciate all your kindness!)

Great job to all who have NOT caved to prosecco this month. Y'ALL CAN MAKE IT!!

On 8/17/2016 at 1:59 PM, cashnic72 said:

12 hours ago, lindsey1125 said:

Guys, don't beat yourself up about the sweet potatoes & bananas.... These are healthy foods - full of fibre, vitamins & minerals and unless you're particularly sedentary, or have blood sugar issues then it's absolutely fine to eat these things daily - just don't go overboard (ie fruit & starch at every meal), and don't neglect other veg - it's good to get in a wide variety. As an side note the banana & almond butter isn't really ideal for a postWO though. Fruit postWO will replace liver glycogen when you want to replace muscle glycogen, and the fat will slow down digestion & in turn slow down the absorption of any nutrients to the muscle - stick with a lean protein & optional starchy carb - it need only be a few bites of each, so nothing too heavy.

3 hours ago, OMistressElise said:

OKAY SO HERE'S THE THING. We spent some time in our new house today while it was empty and clean, and my dad poured everyone a little Chinet cup of prosecco to celebrate. So I was naturally like "Oh my gosh he's actually going to let me drink this! PARTAY." And it completely slipped my mind that to do so meant completely blowing my Whole30. Since I really never drink alcohol unless it's stolen sips of champagne on New Year's, it's not like it was on my radar screen to make sure I avoided it at all costs for this month, and thus...I drank it down without a second thought. (The reality of the action hit me about 10 minutes later and for a while I had no idea what to think. :lol:)

I'm of course going to keep going on my Whole30 as if nothing happened, because there's not much else I can do! But...it happened. I blew my Whole30 on a Chinet cup of alcohol at 17. Ah, life. 

Elise, ok, so not ideal, but well done on taking ownership of your error - I think for a 17yr old you show maturity beyond that of most girls your age. I'm glad you've decided to continue because even with this little slip I think you're doing great things for your body... Well done you - and good luck in your new home!

Archived