1st August start - group

lovemypaperhouse

5 minutes ago, jmcbn said:

@VickiPWV - ok, so there are a couple of things going on here. Most of your meals look ok to me, although some look a little small so you could be playing a bit of nutritional catch up. Breakfast on day 2 is light in protein & has no added fat. Dinner on day 1 is just a banana & nut butter & the same again for dinner on day 3. You're also just coming out of the tired stage of the program, so when you combine all of the above you can see why you might be struggling. 

We strongly recommend against eating fruit on it's own as a meal/snack as it impacts blood sugar, which in turn effects appetite, energy, mood, cravings etc. We also recommend that nuts/nut butters are eaten in moderation because they can be hard on the digestive system (& can quickly become a habit) so your body could be working hard to process that. Also we're trying to get you to become fat adapted here, but you're going into your work out topped up on sugar (banana) - another spike followed by a crash.

PreWO opt for protein & fat. You do not want to provide an immediate source of fuel in the form of fruit for your body to burn. PostWO opt for a lean protein & a starchy carb. Fruit postWO will replenish liver glycogen when you want to be replacing muscle glycogen. Keep your fruit for eating with or as part of template meals.

Not eating when hungry only perpetuates the problem so, as difficult as it might seem, we'd always suggest you still plate up a template meal, eat as much of it as you can (ensuring you get some of each food group) and then wrap up the remainder to eat as soon as  you feel able (ie. don't wait until your next meal). Your appetite will still come around again.

I think I've covered everything - hope this helps!

It all helps.  will keep on keepin' on  Thanks!!

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Day 10! 1/3 of the way done! My workout this morning felt great, but I could barely lift my arms after to wash my hair before work so I think I might have overdone it. :P

Thank you @jmcbn and @lovemypaperhouse for the recipe suggestions - I had a beef in the fridge already so I've got it on the crockpot today with this recipe, but I really, really want to try the Kahlua Pig and plan on doing much better this weekend about batch cooking - I just have to make it the rest of the week with the odds and ends that I've got already prepped. 

I'm actually doing pretty well regarding cravings, aside from missing my sodelicious brand coconut creamer (pesky cane sugar!) for my coffee in the morning. Tried making my own with canned coconut milk and a vanilla bean, I just wish it had a hint of sweet instead of just being nutty tasting. I'm sure I'll get used to it by the end of 30 days, though. I need coffee more than I need the sweet, so I'm willing to push through. 

Barely seen the dude lately because he's been working crazy shifts at the hospital, but we check in throughout the day to make sure we're still on track. We used to ask how each other's day was when we got home, now we ask what the other one's had to eat, haha. 

Hi everyone,

Day 10, woot woot! Yes it can get easier from here on out, but we all have our own journey to make... so keep on posting, checking in, and asking for support, no matter what comes up for you! Sorry we've lost a few along the way, but everyone must do this in their own right timing. For those of you still here, let's keep rocking it!!

I'm feeling pretty good overall. Did a BIG steamed veggie cookup this AM, stored them all in the fridge/freezer for quick-grabs to add to salads, stir frys, omelettes, frittatas, soups, etc. Makes things really simple for me, so I likey.  Just add eggs/meat and FAT, and I'm good to go.  : )

Pleased that my local Trader Joe's now carries RX Bars, SO helpful to have in the car/purse for true food emergencies.

Good luck everyone, keep on keepin' on!

Just touching base, day 10 almost finished! I am kicking that after dinner snack habit. Fell back to it on Monday, but the last two nights I feel it coming on and I've been distracting myself by getting up and doing something, anything, to break that cycle. It's amazing how habits are such a mindless response...good lesson for me.

I found a new favorite lunch - fresh spinach, grilled chicken, avocado and fresh blueberries (today I also added a few chunks of cantaloupe) with a balsamic dressing. Very yummy, filling, and a hint of sweet with the fruit.

I had a wonderful thing happen this morning...I have a favorite skirt in the closet that I could wear, but it was a struggle to zip it, and I was tugging on it all day. This morning I pulled it on, and zipped it with no effort! My belly bloat is going dowwnnnnn. I have also noticed the "bags" under my eyes are gone, so inflammation is going down on my body.

I just wanted to share that and say - hang in there! I am excited about finishing out this week strong.

Day 10 in the bag! Very weird, I felt like there's a difference in my body today (but not yesterday)...put on a skirt and there's a definite difference.

worked out today and I had good energy. I didn't feel tired all day! That is amazing feeling I haven't had in a long time. I came home and the kids can do things that would normally drive me nuts...its so much easier to keep a cool head. 

Breakfast and lunch were sort of a repeat from yesterday. But tonight I made the best diced sweet potatoes, diced onion, garlic, salt and pepper. My 8 year old said it tasted like sweet potato fries (which is her favorite thing on earth!) also made some meatballs with mushroom, onion, cilantro, salt, pepper and garlic. Delish! Little sliced avocado on the side. Yum

onward and upward everyone!! 1/3 of the way done! 

1/3 done!!!  Congrats everyone :)

My mood and energy have improved considerably over the past 4 days.  The sleep thing still isn't where it was last time on my Whole 30 but I can't remember when it began being so sound.  Hopefully that comes in the next few days.

I'm really glad there are still many of us sticking to it.

High fives all around!!

Well, it's been an okay Day 10. Slept solidly last night for the first time since the start of the program. WOOT.

Meals:

Breakfast: leftover frittata from yesterday, 1 peach

Lunch: 1/2 leftover chicken breast + fixings from yesterday, 1 plum

Dinner: second-worst salad I've ever made (spinach, canned tuna, avocado, lots of carrot + balsamic and olive oil), 2 pieces of bacon, 1 plum

I'm very very bored with it all today. I don't ever want to see a salad again in my life. I had to watch - and smell - my family eat homemade pizza. I saw muffins on Pinterest and almost cried. I thought I was over the cravings struggle, but I felt just a tad triggered today.

But hey, 1/3 DONE.

Onto day 11 - 

NSV so far - better mood, sleeping better (last two mornings I haven't woken up with my alarm!), more energy, been using the standing desk more at work, skin is clear and bright, no bloating. had enthusiasm to do some exercise classes, work colleagues said I've been less whiny and I've felt more productive at work.

Issues - last night I went out for a meal and though I checked with the waiter I think something my have been non-compliant because my stomach is bloated today. Although this may be just my guy healing itself :).

My breakfasts haven't been the 'recommended' this week, I've been having chia seed pudding with almond milk and fruit/seed/nuts for breakfast. It helps my 'movements' and I've found keeps my full until lunch. Also fits in with my ethical issue of wanting to eat less meat. 

sarah x

57 minutes ago, lovemypaperhouse said:

My breakfasts haven't been the 'recommended' this week, I've been having chia seed pudding with almond milk and fruit/seed/nuts for breakfast. It helps my 'movements' and I've found keeps my full until lunch. Also fits in with my ethical issue of wanting to eat less meat. 

Thanks to @lovemypaperhouse for highlighting that this is not recommended.

I'd just add for the others (and specifically those new to Whole30) that whilst made with compliant ingredients this is not the ideal way to start your day & falls in the very grey area of SWYPO as it's kind of attempting to recreate a traditional SAD breakfast food. My advice would always be to look at meals in terms of the template - are you getting enough of each of the food macros? are you letting fruit push veg off of your plate? are you looking to replicate some kind of old comforting food? If the answer is yes to any of these questions then hold off until after your Whole30.

For those having problems with their 'movement' chia seeds or flaxseeds can be added to some water to make a kind of a gel, which will help get things moving. Of course you could add in a magnesium supplement which also helps in the bathroom area, as well as aiding sleep. Most of us are deficient in magnesium anyway due to modern farming techniques depleting the soil of magnesium so it's a win win.

Day 11 - still here, yay!

Yesterday started out great!  Omelette with veggies, baby carrots, pancetta, and some hashbrowns. Before I got to lunch though, I got hit pretty hard in the face at work and blah - my head just hurt most of my work day I didn't even think about lunch.

Dinner was a struggle, I was feeling dizzy and wasn't sure if it was because I hadn't eaten since the morning or from the hit earlier in the day. I made myself eat a steak salad which helped make me feel better overall.

Today's breakfast was a chorizo omelette with veggies, celery sticks and carrots. Lunch is a avocado, egg salad. Need to think about dinner, but maybe a burger and some veggies.

Working out, I've noticed I have so much more energy, especially the last few times I've worked out. I work out within the same time frame as I did before whole30, but I really push myself harder to get more out of that time. It's great!

Hope everyone is having a great day.

52 minutes ago, jmcbn said:

Thanks to @lovemypaperhouse for highlighting that this is not recommended.

I'd just add for the others (and specifically those new to Whole30) that whilst made with compliant ingredients this is not the ideal way to start your day & falls in the very grey area of SWYPO as it's kind of attempting to recreate a traditional SAD breakfast food. My advice would always be to look at meals in terms of the template - are you getting enough of each of the food macros? are you letting fruit push veg off of your plate? are you looking to replicate some kind of old comforting food? If the answer is yes to any of these questions then hold off until after your Whole30.

For those having problems with their 'movement' chia seeds or flaxseeds can be added to some water to make a kind of a gel, which will help get things moving. Of course you could add in a magnesium supplement which also helps in the bathroom area, as well as aiding sleep. Most of us are deficient in magnesium anyway due to modern farming techniques depleting the soil of magnesium so it's a win win.

Hi,

Thanks for highlighting this to others in the group - I also would not recommend having my brekky. The only reason I feel I can have it is that I've worked through 4/5 whole 30s before and identified what works for me

I've never thought of chia seed pud as a SWYPO meal as I don't know what it would be replicating? It's definitely not in that category for me, as I only eat it as a way to get some food and help my digestion.

I've been taking flaxseed on a night with water and I've got a herbal laxative tea when it gets really bad. I've found that week 4 is normally when I get to going every day so I'm not too concerned at the moment to add in magnesium but have been eating lots of greens and a few prunes!

I just tried inserting a pic of my lunch salad, it was so pretty! Greens, left over diced sweet potato, leftover meatball, avocado and a few raspberries. This was the first meal where I didn't clean my whole plate, I got full!

well I completely forgot that I'm one day behind the August 1 starters...totally thought it was yesterday! But it's today, now I have 10 days in the bag. I don't have any feeling of wanting to quit. I am definitely avoiding social situations though. Canceled my hair appt because the stylist always makes sure I have a glass of wine in hand...I just didn't want to deal with it. And I NEVER cancel a hair appt!

also a friend asked about going on a double date with our husbands. We like having wine and good food together so I told her, we might want to wait until my 30 days is up. I really need to tackle these social situations, I can't be a hermit for 20 more days.

on a sad note, one of my best friend seems to have no interest in hanging out since I'm "on the wagon" so to speak. It's disappointing but I guess this is where you realize who your true friends/supporters are. 

Everyone, you are doing GREAT!! Stick with it!!! Only 20 days to go (most of you are only 19!!) such a short time in an entire lifespan, YOU CAN DO THIS!!

Nicole

image.jpeg

Well, after saying yesterday that I never wanted to see a salad again, I ate two salads today. They're the perfect healthy meal, even if they suck sometimes. 

Today was my first experience with eating out while on the Whole30! Dad took us to a restaurant called Sweet Tomatoes that featured a huge salad bar. So I made a large salad with all the veggies I could fit on my plate and topped it with olive oil and red wine vinegar and felt amazing. They gave us complimentary cookies for being first-time visitors, but I handed mine over to my sister without a second thought. WINNING AT LIFE. Thus I survived Eating Out, the phenomenon which has derailed every healthy eating program I've tried before. It is a good Day 11. 

Meals:

Breakfast: omelet w/ onions, mushrooms, peppers, and spinach

Lunch: sad lifeless wilted salad w/ half a chicken breast and some shredded carrot and topped w/ olive oil and balsamic vinegar + some grapes

Snack: toasted sweet potato slices topped w/ avocado, salt, pepper, and lemon zest

Dinner: salad w/ very many veggies and topped w/ olive oil and red wine vinegar + half a small sad baked sweet potato + some red grapes and two orange slices

I might make myself some bacon tonight because besides breakfast, all the protein I've had today was the chicken at lunch and a sprinkling of hard-boiled egg on my dinner salad.

And bacon is life, plain and simple. 

Starting day 13 this morning - I'm a early due to European time and starting July 31 

Day 11 and 12 were pretty rough. I suffered from a heavy bout of the flu, so ended up eating nothing on day 11 and just 3 spoonfulls of carrot-potato mash and a banana on day 3. Not exaxcly the perfact meat template, but this morning seems to be ok.

Keep going all of you!

Just came home from the paradontologist who performed kind of a complicated extraction of a tooth extracted an hour and I still have kind of a smile on my face. 

On the positive side - no snacking for me the next few hours.

Must he the tiger blood kicking in :)

12 hours ago, kwantum said:

Starting day 13 this morning - I'm a early due to European time and starting July 31 

Day 11 and 12 were pretty rough. I suffered from a heavy bout of the flu, so ended up eating nothing on day 11 and just 3 spoonfulls of carrot-potato mash and a banana on day 3. Not exaxcly the perfact meat template, but this morning seems to be ok.

Keep going all of you!

Feel better soon!

Day 11! I'm including a pic of my lunch which normally would be so appetizing...however these are the foods I am absolutely sick of. I live in houston and we have a lot of Tex-mex food here...well I'm eating it too often. Not even appetizing anymore!

Had to go serve at a dinner for my mom's retirement village...it was not fun serving 50 pieces of key lime pie. Ugh!! Came home and ate a banana out of desperation, then ate my leftovers from last night's dinner. I am definitely hitting a slump. Still on track but I'm not excited about my food today AT ALL. I hope this passes. 

Hope everyone else had a Better food day than I did.

image.jpeg

Day 13 already! Times are sure flying. Everything going smoothly. The best part is still the sleeping, 8% improvement according to Sleep Cycle. No problems with the meals. The advantage of doing it for the fourth time and eating for lunch and dinner the rest of the time. Meal planning and cooking batches of bolognese, chilli and curry for lunch is already routine. Breakfast is something I'm always struggling with. Where my husband can eat eggs everyday of the week, I'm easily getting bored with them, so I'm trying to make more for dinner and eat the leftovers for breakfast. Works so far. I just made a huge bowl of cauliflower couscous with bell peppers, cucumber, courgette, chorizo and pomegranate. I'll take it with me to a birthday party for dinner, that way I'm sure I stay on track.

almost half way!

9 hours ago, cashnic72 said:

Day 11! I'm including a pic of my lunch which normally would be so appetizing...however these are the foods I am absolutely sick of. I live in houston and we have a lot of Tex-mex food here...well I'm eating it too often. Not even appetizing anymore!

Had to go serve at a dinner for my mom's retirement village...it was not fun serving 50 pieces of key lime pie. Ugh!! Came home and ate a banana out of desperation, then ate my leftovers from last night's dinner. I am definitely hitting a slump. Still on track but I'm not excited about my food today AT ALL. I hope this passes. 

Hope everyone else had a Better food day than I did.

Hey there,

Chin up! Lots of possibilities - check out NomNomPaleo : when you use the app you can filter out lots of whole30 compliant recipes to drown the food-boredom. Or the Well Fed cookbooks. Sometimes it takes just a twist using different herbs. Or just rethinking the recipes you would use when you're not on whole30 with some adjustments. Just use your imagination!

Remember day 11 is one of the hardest in the package. It does get better!

On August 11, 2016 at 11:28 PM, jmcbn said:

Well done on navigating eating out @OMistressElise!!

Just checking that you asked about sulphite in the red wine vinegar? Also, bacon is more of a fat for Whole30 purposes (unless it's the bristish back bacon variety which is a little of both), but yes - bacon is life... :D

I admit that I did not think to ask someone about sulfites in the red wine vinegar (even though it crossed my mind that that might be the case); I just decided it was a better bet than the balsamic (because most of the balsamics I've seen have had caramel color and stuff like that). Next time I will make an effort to inquire of someone!

Forgot to post about yesterday. 

Meals:

Breakfast: toasted sweet potato slices topped w/ almond butter, banana slices, and cinnamon

Lunch: omelet w/ spinach, cauliflower, onions, mushrooms, and red pepper; 1 plum

Dinner: very much ground beef cooked w/ chopped mushrooms, onions, and red pepper

And today. 

I'm feeling pretty solid. No notable increase in energy, and my sleep has been rather disappointing, but I have a positive attitude about life. I went to a pizza party last night and didn't have a single craving, despite the fact that the yeasty smell permeated the entire room. :P

The biggest (and weirdest) thing for me right now is my mind's response to a lack of cravings. As I am no longer craving sugar, my brain doesn't know what to do with itself; I've lived with sugar cravings for pretty much my entire life, and suddenly there's an empty space in my brain that I don't know what to do with. Maybe I need to find a hobby. :lol:

Meals:

Breakfast: fruit salad w/ blueberries, strawberries, and raspberries (I know, Bad Elise, but so help me, I couldn't stomach another egg)

Lunch: sweet potato slices topped w/ avocado, salt, pepper, and lemon zest

Dinner: taco salad w/ lettuce, ground beef, chopped onion, avocado, and salsa; 1 plum

Archived