Anyone starting Week of October 8-14, check in!

Sarah Liz

Hi, all. I am restarting today (10/12). This is my third try. First time on day 9 was because I realized I mis-remembered some of the rules and inadvertently cheated. Second time on day 7 was an intentional cheat. Let's hope the third time's a charm! If I can hold out, I'd like to go longer than 30 days. I have hormonal issues I've been dealing with for 20 years and don't know that 30 days is going to correct them, especially since I am working night shift for 3 more weeks, which undoes some of the good my diet does for my hormone balance.

Name (or Alias): Kate

Married? Kids?: Married with 3 kids (7yo DD, 4yo DS, and 2yo DD). Hoping for one more

Job: Nurse aide and student (nutrition)

Start Date of Whole 30: October 12

Thanks for starting this thread, Sarah! Good luck to everyone!

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had what I consider a victory today (Day 3)- I planned ahead so I could be successful! This morning, I went to the funeral for my husband's uncle, and as is common (in his very large Italian family) there is an extensive spread following the service, usually consisting of cold cuts and other sandwiches, pasta, chicken, salad, and lots of dessert. So I tossed a small primal pack of beef jerky into my purse, along with an apple and a small handful of walnuts for fat, and then made myself a big salad at the collation. It was yummy, I was full, and I didn't have worry about what the chicken had been cooked in or whether the cold cuts had sugar (or soy, or whatever weird things that wind up in deli meat) in them. And I just stayed away from the dessert table in the kitchen. I've been gluten-free for a few months, so I've gotten pretty used to passing on sweets, but it was better to just avoid the temptation.

So I'm doing pretty well. Not crashing, although it certainly helps that I've already gone through wheat-withdrawal, which took the better part of a month, actually. I actually have more energy and my digestion is improving, which really makes me think that dairy was my biggest problem. Anyway, I just wanted to share my success! :)

Name (or Alias): Simon

Married? Kids?: Married 9 years, 2 kids (2 daughters, 20 and 18, the eldest has left home)

Job: Salesperson

Start Date of Whole 30: October 9th (actually on day 4 :-) )

Wife is on board for the whole 30. Actually, she didn't get much of a choice, since I do the grocery shopping and all the cooking... but she is doing it of her own volition :-)

Hi everyone, I am restarting tomorrow 10/14. I did 5 days back in September but caved. I am now 120% committed. I am doing this to end my battle with over eating and eating past the point of being uncomfortable. I am only 5-10lbs overweight but have a long (25 yr!) history of weight issues and poor eating habits. I really, really want this to work.

Name: Mollie

Married with 2 daughters, 5 yrs and 18 months

Thanks for any support!

Day 3 here! Feeling good. I forgot how much peace I have about food when I am doing a W30. No questions about cheating. I am hoping that this W30 can help me to fine tune some of my food issues. Can I have sugar of any kind? Like the amount that is in ketchup for instance? I don't know. I'm not having any for now and am not worried about post W30 at this point.

Hi Everyone!!

This is day 4 for me... I think so far day 2 was the worst. I'm really active so I've gotten away with what I could almost describe as comical food choices most of my life. Also a serious caffeine addict, so I have a feeling that was 90% of my symptoms. Like a lot of people have said, I'm mostly ok, just hungry and cranky =D I cycle a lot, and the last few days have basically been a joke with how tired I've gotten so quickly... I'm thinking of taking a day or two off...

Name (or Alias): Paris

Married? Kids?: Married- no kids (yet).

Job: motorsports

Start Date of Whole 30: October 11th

QUESTIONS -- I'm hoping a moderator can jump in and answer these...

1. In looking for Balsamic Vinegars without added sugars, I found a lot of them labelled "Contains Sulfites." Then I found a couple of others labelled "Contains only naturally occurring sulfites." I know that wines have naturally occurring sulfites, and in fact, that's what enables the subtle varieties of taste (in addition to the variety of grape) and the reasons "organic wines" aren't especially appealing, because the naturally occurring sulfites have been removed. Okay, so wine AND natural vinegars (not distilled white) are both made from grapes, so it occurred to me that ALL vinegars must have some amount of naturally occurring sulfites in them. Is this true? Are naturally occurring sulfites okay (as opposed to added sulfites?)

2. I am on Day Six of my Whole30, and our "pep talk" of the day involves SLEEP! I used to sleep in a "Cave Dark" bedroom, but due to my allergies, I need an air filter which looks like the Starship Enterprise at night. I clearly can't throw a blanket over it. Is sleeping with an eyeshade an "acceptable" way around this, or is that not recommended?

Thanks!

Hi Everyone,

Today is officially day 2, but I actually started on Friday after a visit to my internist on Thursday. I am counting yesterday as my official first day because I signed up for the Whole30 Daily and that made Friday day zero. I think I'm off to an ok start. I gave up gluten four years ago and dairy a year ago (though I gained 15 pounds in 3 months with too many dairy cheats). My biggest problem is SUGAR. I'm addicted. I've been asking myself about the steamed fish and veggies a lot the past two days. Am I hungry enought to eat steamed fish and veggies, or do I just want a sugary snack and I'm not caving? :) Glad to have a support group.

Name: Erin

I am married with two boys age 8 and 5.

Job: HR

Start Date: officially, October 13

Started paleo at the end of August (due to weight gain in the past year and elevated cholesterol (thanks genetics)) and felt I was slipping up so decided to do Whole30 to kick it into high gear (especially before another cholesterol test on the 1st). Day 2 (yesterday) was hard since I hung out with my friend and we always get chai tea lattes but I resisted and felt very proud of myself. :) I normally don't like to cook and have found with the paleo/whole30 I've actually enjoyed cooking due to the "limitations" so I don't get so overwhelmed. :D

Job: web designer

Life: living with my boyfriend, cats, chickens, ducks, and fish on our urban farm in the city!

Start date - 10/12

Hi everyone! I am starting tomorrow- the 15th- I had my whole family go paleo for about a month, but never "the whole nine". I am most interested in stabilizing mood swings and increasing energy- I am not too carb addicted but would love to get all the chemicals and junk out of my system that goes with eating "conventional food". I think giving up designer coffee drinks is going to be the hardest. Here are my stats:

Name: Robin

Married with 4 kids

41 years old

Elementary School Teacher

I look forward to taking this journey together!

Day two for me. I need to do some menu planning for the week. We will have company and sometimes that makes it harder. We'll eat dinner here most nights, so that should be okay, but there will be some challenges.

I picked up deli meat for my son's lunches last week that had been sliced/packed since the deli was closed and because I didn't get it from the actual deli case (although it was the same stuff) it had an ingredient label. YIKES! There is a lot of junk in even the deli meat we tend to think about as better quality.

Kelly- I totally agree with you about reading the packages. I've been joking that even if the Whole9 lifestyle doesn't stick, a lot of my favorite foods are sort of "ruined" now that I realize how much garbage is in it... My old habit was just to turn things around and see how many calories were in them... Now that I realize its pretty strange to eat something I can't pronounce... well, food options are a bit more limited, huh?

Hi all! We started as a family on October 14. We are excited(well Dad & Mom are) about being healthy and finally having a roadmap to great nutrition. Any encouragement, support and otherwise good words are always welcome and we will try to do the same.

Nichols Family

Ages 47, 46, 9, 7

Dad - Primary poster, cook and inspirational leader of the family - Government Contractor(during the day)

Mom - Wife extraordinaire and educator of our girls

Girls - Caring, musical and funny.

Location - Fredericksburg, VA

I love this thread! I started last Thursday with my friend so we are now on day 4. I joined mostly because I was tired of making excuses, I needed to reset my system, learn healthy, long term habits, and I was just tired of giving into indulgences and laziness way too much.

So far it's been good. I've met a few challenges mostly with being social, but I've managed to make the best possible decisions as long as I can look at a menu ahead of time, or sneak food along with me. Yesterday I went to a sush restaurant and totally had a bottle of coconut aminos stashed in my purse :)

About me:

Michelle, newly 30

Northern Virginia

not married, 1 fur child

data manager by day, print designer and pole instructor by night

Checking in about 10 days late, all the way from Shanghai, China. I have been lurking here for a few weeks and finally got my act together to start the Whole 30 the day after we came back from a week's overindulgent holiday in HongKong (hello, brand new 4 kgs!).

About me:

Am Canadian, originally from the west coast, but living in China for 4 years (and in Turkey for 6 years before that).

I'm a teacher, currently the director of a school doing after school and weekend programs for little kids.

I'm 38, not married but long-term shacked up. No kids, but you never know.

It's not been too hard so far, as I don't have a sweet tooth, nor do I have any ED/binge issues (thankfully). As well, because I live in China, I'm used to having to make everything from scratch with lots of daily trips to the veggie guys on the street because our fridge is microscopic. (See some of my experiments here- there are actually some Whole 30 recipes here, in retrospect-- I wasn't even aware of it at the time when I made them-- try the remixed version of Caldo Xochitl, or the Made in Jianada stir fries.)

It has, however, been a struggle to deal with the no grains/no dairy bit, as I'm a big fan of home made tortillas and cheese. I also really miss having a lovely, cold beer after a long day at work! Shanghai's a very food/drink-centric social scene so it's been quite hard to sit there with my soda water while everyone else has a cocktail, and a lot of restaurant food has soy, msg, sugar, etc added. Let's not even get into the proliferation of rice and dumplings...

Symptoms/side effects so far have been 3 days of headaches at the beginning. Feeling a bit out of it for about a week- had a number of space-out moments. Feeling sleepy much earlier than usual, which is a good thing as I'm a terrible night owl. Maybe I'll get normal circadian rhythms soon.

Very curious to see how this turns out.

Morning-

Starting day 3 here. It seems like everyone is hanging in there. My family is NOT doing this with me, but they eat better when I do. Both of my teenage boys have the "I need to gain weight" genes which is challenging when trying to get them to eat better. I would say they eat better than most teenagers out there. (from a paleo/real foods perspective not a low fat perspective) My oldest has been complaining about the lack of real food available on his college campus since he is stuck with the cafeteria as a freshmen. He actually says he is looking forward to having his own kitchen next year.

Anyway, interesting comment from both my hubby and younger son at dinner last night. My guys eat a lot of meat so our meals are normally pretty heavy on the protein portion. I made a sweet potato and sausage hash (from the whole 30 success guide) and both of them said it was really good, but next time make more veggies and don't put as much sausage in it. You could have knocked me over with a feather.

Noboro, I would think being in the habit of cooking from scratch and going to the market every day would at least make that part easier. Good luck pushing through the headaches. Hope you get that energy burst soon.

Day 5 here! I am finding this W30 (2nd time around) so much easier. Two reasons that I can pinpoint: 1) I am NOT stressing about post W30 and 2) I'm not stuffing myself with W30 food whenever I feel like eating. I am waiting until I am really hungry for something. (Steamed veggies and fish thing. Really works.)

Good work everybody. Here's to another good W30 day.

Hi everyone day ten here and feeling great all my bloating is gone and I sleep like a log only problem I'm having is I don't have much of an appetite and when I do eat (making sure I still eat three times a day) it feels like I'm forcing it down just so I can get enough food, I also realized yesterday that I hadn't had a coffee for two days without even realizing it so I guess my addiction to caffeine is gone ;)

Hi all! (and big hi to my fellow Illinoisians!)

This will be my 2nd Whole30! I started on Oct. 11th - wrapping up day 6! Glad to be doing this the second time around with so many more people. I'm taking a slightly different approach this time based on everything I learned during the successful completion of my first whole30. So far so good ...

Cheers to everyone!

Thanks, Kellydawne (above)- the headaches passed and I feel a lot better now (day 11, I think?). Still quite spaced out, which feels weird. Have to remind myself in social situations to stay focused or my brain just floats away.

As for food, our tiny fridge (think mini bar, but slightly bigger) is stuffed full of daily veggies from the street vendors, plus a bag of kiwis that I eat before bed. I'm still drinking coffee in the morning (black) because I still need one vice, now that the rest are gone. ;-)

Making lots of soups, lettuce-wrapped chicken tacos with home made salsa, boiled eggs, tuna salad, and mashed sweet potato. Luckily, autumn is here so the sweet potato vendors are coming out onto the streets with their oil drum ovens full of baking sweet potatoes. You can buy them quite cheaply (about 60 cents for a good sized one) and they're already cooked for dinner. I like to mash mine with coconut milk and roasted garlic. Yum.

Hi there! I started with my friend a week ago (10/11/12!). I would love to reset my body's addiction to sweets and mindless snacking and help transform my unhealthy relationship with food and my body.

So far so good- still trying to shake the 'I need somethign sweet for breakfast!' mindset- had two scrambled eggs this morning with a small sweet potato drizzled with a little raw almond butter. Yum!!

About me:

Krista 27

No ball and chain, no kids

Working for the government in our nations capital!

Wish me luck!! I still find I eat a lot of fruit when Im craving something sweet. I CAN do this!!

Hello, starting day 4 today. So far so good. I think this time is easier because I hadn't been eating horribly overall before I started and I waited until after a wedding and some other events to start. We will have family visiting this week and I know my food choices will be criticized while they are here so I'm hoping I can make it through that. There are usually pizza orders placed too so I will need to be really proactice to make it through this weekend and next week.

Having a hungry teenage boy in the house, I rarely have left overs for lunch, even if I think I've planned enough for left overs. Last night's dinner was wiped out quickly. I've cooked the fish taco bowl (from www.stuffimakemyhusband.com) the last two days for lunch and that's a favorite lunch. The fish taco sauce would be good mixed with tuna and veggies too.

I am having fun trying recipes from a variety of places, books, blogs, and especially chowstalker we have a few new (healthy) family faves.

Archived