Fat-adapted?

Derval

• Moderators

The way to know if you are fat-adapted is how comfortable and balanced you are on occasions when you fast. For example, due to my work schedule, I cannot make doctors' appointments until 1 PM in the afternoon. When I have to fast for blood work, that means I stop eating at about 8 PM the night before and remain fasted about 18 hours. In the old days, I would have killed somebody before I made it to the doctors office. Nowadays, I know I haven't eaten, but it doesn't make me moody, lethargic, or drive me crazy. It's okay. In fact, I sometimes feel more hunger an hour before a meal than I do at 11 AM on those days when I have been fasted for 15 hours. And I can exercise fasted now, even when I train at noon when I have been fasted for 16 hours. Before I was fat adapted, I crashed if I tried to exercise while fasted beyond first thing in the morning. Nonetheless, an occasional instance of pre-meal hunger is something that happens to me as often as once per month. I don't know why.

When I'm not fat-adapted, I literally get light headed and goofy acting if I don't eat often enough (hypoglycemic, I'm guessing). When I am fat adapted I can be hungry and know I'm hungry, but keep on for hours and be stable.

Archived