Mayo help!

Danielled

Preparing for day 1 which is tomorrow. My perfect mayo came out like soup. Followed directions. Used a food processor. Used sunflower oil bc I couldn't find light olive oil. So my mayo is now watery and yellow. Not at all like the picture in the book. Discouraging to mess up the very first thing I make. 

Mayo can be tricky. Until the emulsification happens, you need to add the oil VERY VERY VERY SLOOOOOOOOWLY. Literally a few drops at a time. Once you start to see the creamy, mayo-y texture, you can start adding oil in a steady stream, but before then, I add maybe 10 drops at a time. 

Another key is making sure that your lemon juice and egg are at room temperature.  I prep mine in a small bowl about an hour before I am ready to make the mayo.  I've also never used Sunflower Oil and wonder if that could be a factor too.  definitely try again because it's so worth it!

• Administrators

You can avoid all of the room-temp and drizzling slowly by putting all the ingredients into a mason jar and blending with a stick blender (immersion blender) for 30 seconds. There are lots of videos on YouTube demonstrating this. All the Whole30 mayo recipes will work with this technique. And then you have mayo in under a minute.

I do it this way once a week and I've had one fail. In two years. :) 

Archived