How to W30 with Low FODMAPs

Raven

I've done several W30s since 2012, but rarely stay on track.  Due to starting on new insurance, I sought out a new doctor a few months ago.  I told her about my GI issues, depression, anxiety, and recent panic attack (only the second in my life).  She recommended I go gluten free for a month (which has helped more than I thought it would), to then try dairy free for a month as well, then low FODMAP.  However, the low FODMAP diet she gave me is all over the place.  It tells me crazy things like:  For weeks 6-8 to continue with the diet, but only for two weeks; that maltodextrin is a good alternative on week 4, but to eliminate it on week 5; and that black beans and lentils are a no go, but soy beans are ok.  So, I came back to W30 to try to figure things out.  The last full W30 (W45, really) I did ended in February.  I understand that if someone has never done a W30 before, that it's good to start with that, then do one of the other versions.  Would it be a better choice to do a full W30, then a low FODMAP W30, or just start the low FODMAP version now and reintroduce high FODMAP foods at the end?  Is it better to have that W30 baseline, then eliminate high FODMAP foods, or does that even matter since I can reintroduce them at the end of the 30 days?

tl;dr

I've done multiple W30s in the past, but the last one was over six months ago.  Should I do another regular W30, then try the low FODMAP W30, or just jump right in to the low FODMAP one?

Do you have any sense at all as to what foods induce you GI symptoms? And do you have a sense that it is FODMAPs causing the issues, or are you following Dr's suggestions? We know our bodies better and can sometimes intuit the cause. What are those symptoms, btw? And don't worry about TMI, you can't scare me I've experienced it all!

For me, clearing my gut issues really helped with my mental issues of anxiety and depression. Eliminating gluten alone stopped my panic attacks too. Amazing how it's all linked together. 

So as for how to proceed with W30 alone or W30+low FODMAP, if you have a sense of certain foods causing symptoms I'd personally start with low FODMAP. IOW, when you read about others with FODMAP symptoms and read the foods lists, do you feel like you're reading your own story? 

• Moderators

In case you haven't found it yet, this article has a helpful table of FODMAP foods and other information.

What is it that makes you concerned about just jumping into the low-FODMAP version now? If you have gotten pretty off-track and feel you need to do just a regular Whole30 for some period of time to get back in the habit of cooking and everything, you could do that, maybe not even for 30 days, but just long enough to get back to those habits. If you've been keeping pretty close to Whole30, it may not be too hard to jump into a low FODMAP Whole30.

8 hours ago, LucieB said:

Do you have any sense at all as to what foods induce you GI symptoms? And do you have a sense that it is FODMAPs causing the issues, or are you following Dr's suggestions? We know our bodies better and can sometimes intuit the cause. What are those symptoms, btw? And don't worry about TMI, you can't scare me I've experienced it all!

For me, clearing my gut issues really helped with my mental issues of anxiety and depression. Eliminating gluten alone stopped my panic attacks too. Amazing how it's all linked together. 

So as for how to proceed with W30 alone or W30+low FODMAP, if you have a sense of certain foods causing symptoms I'd personally start with low FODMAP. IOW, when you read about others with FODMAP symptoms and read the foods lists, do you feel like you're reading your own story? 

LucieB,

I am following doctor's orders, but have been suspicious that cruciferous veggies cause me problems as some of my family members have issues with them.  Also, I have had a very grumbly tummy (gas, bloating, loose stools) after eating meals with a lot of garlic or onions lately (though I LOVE garlic).

It is amazing how it's all linked together!  In the past, when I've done W30 and my stress levels are low, I'm a better version of myself!  No depression, optimistic outlook, energy galore!

I'm not really sure about the "reading my own story" thing with FODMAPs.  Though, that is a big YES with nightshades...hmmm...

6 hours ago, ShannonM816 said:

In case you haven't found it yet, this article has a helpful table of FODMAP foods and other information.

What is it that makes you concerned about just jumping into the low-FODMAP version now? If you have gotten pretty off-track and feel you need to do just a regular Whole30 for some period of time to get back in the habit of cooking and everything, you could do that, maybe not even for 30 days, but just long enough to get back to those habits. If you've been keeping pretty close to Whole30, it may not be too hard to jump into a low FODMAP Whole30.

Shannon,

Thank you for the link, I did come across that, but only skimmed it.  I'll read it more throughly since you suggested it.  :)

I'm concerned that if I jump into low-FODMAP now, I will either feel so restricted that I won't complete the 30 days, or I won't have a baseline, as I would with having just done a W30 (Though I still plan to do a reintro, so this concern isn't that big of one.). I really like the idea of doing regular W30 just to get me back into good cooking and meal prep habits, so thank you for that suggestion!

Hi Raven - you've been given some great advice above, but I'd just like to add that low FODMAP doesn't necessarily mean forever. Once you've removed the offending foods, and allowed your gut to heal you can carry out reintroductions with each of the high FODMAP foods to see which (& how much of each) you can tolerate.

And in the meantime there are plenty of switches that can be done to make recipes low FODMAP friendly.

Archived