I cheated

Whole30ally

Ugh. On day 5. It started with a bite of my sons ice cream. Then later turned into a few bites of my husbands fresh blueberry pie. This morning I feel So sluggish and exhausted despite a decent sleep. Is this the aftermath? I am trying to figure out what caused me to cheat like that- getting back on my horse and restarting today. Any advice? I feel really disappointed in myself. 

My advice is stuff happens and the worst thing to do is make yourself feel bad.  You're human.  Importantly too though you know how that food made you feel.  Sounds like not so good and probably not worth it.  So now when you get back on the horse you have more knowledge to be successful.  You can't fix the past but you can absolutely address the future.  Good luck!!!!

I'm with @hmg1993. You're human, and this program is HARD! I'm on Day 10 (my third round, but my first two were a long time ago). When it's right there in your face it is even worse, particularly early on in the program before you've developed some really good habits and the cravings are minimal. This round has been my most difficult yet (but for different reasons), and I can't tell you how many re-starts I had before I finally made it stick the first time. Don't beat yourself up. Live and learn, and start over when you're ready. I found it helpful to sort of "practice" before officially starting and identify some ways to address those triggers and cravings as they come up. Can you sip a cup of herbal tea while they have their desserts? Mint tea works the best for me. If not, maybe find something else to do while they're having dessert - do the dishes, take a hot bubble bath - anything else so you're not sitting there with it staring you in the face and your sugar dragon is screaming. It also helps me to visualize how the off plan food made me feel when I'm tempted with it in the future. 

My advice is treat this as practice for the real thing rather than viewing it as cheating or failing. Now you know you can do four full days (and dang near five) - and that's awesome! You're ready to kill it today, and you have four/five solid days of practice under your belt - nice work! Good luck!!! :wub:

• Moderators

Whole30 is hard. Hard enough that lots of people won't even try it. You can do this, though. Do try to determine what made you have the ice cream and the pie so that you can address that in the future.

One of the biggest things I notice people who are new to Whole30 doing is not eating enough. Some are surprised by how much the meal template says to eat, some either consciously or unconsciously are stuck in a mindset of restricting calories or fat grams or carbs. That doesn't work with Whole30. We want you to eat plenty of food. When you're eating well-composed meals that keep you satisfied for 4-5 hours at a time, it's a whole lot easier to turn down off-plan foods. So definitely take a look at your meals and be sure you're eating enough. That's not always the cause of going off plan, but it's definitely a contributor in a lot of cases.

Archived