WARNING: TMI!! why am I still having diarrhea?!!

I am hoping that maybe someone on here is in the same boat as me! I have had bad diarrhea for the past two weeks, at least from what I can remember. I wake up in the morning and after a few minutes, I have to go. Then within the hour I go at least 2 or 3 more times. I can't get to the gym until after an hour of waking up because I will have to use the restroom if I do. It's so frustrating, irritating, and my stomach hurts! I have been following program to a T since day 1 (not my first whole30 either). I'm just not sure what to do about this. It's really hindering my morning. Does anyone have any ideas? I've tried googling it but anything I read says nothing about it being so frequent so late in the game. Is my gut just not healed yet? Am I eating some foods that cause it even though I'm sticking to the meal templates etc. HELP!!!

1 minute ago, beachgrrl421 said:

Am I eating some foods that cause it even though I'm sticking to the meal templates etc. HELP!!!

This would be easier to answer if we knew what you were eating....

Can you provide say 3-4 days worth of your meals, including portion sizes, pre/postWO meals, liquids etc - that way we'll be better equipped to help you troubleshoot.

In the meantime it's perfectly fine to take an OTC anti-diarrhea med to help with this, and ensure you are staying suitably hydrated...

2 hours ago, jmcbn said:

This would be easier to answer if we knew what you were eating....

Can you provide say 3-4 days worth of your meals, including portion sizes, pre/postWO meals, liquids etc - that way we'll be better equipped to help you troubleshoot.

In the meantime it's perfectly fine to take an OTC anti-diarrhea med to help with this, and ensure you are staying suitably hydrated...

The liquids I have are coffee with nutpods, water, lacroix. My meals are either roasted brussel sprouts, cauliflower or broccoli, salad, chicken, steak, salmon. That's what I've eaten the past few days. I keep my meals simple because it's cheaper than making some of the recipes and I'm only one person. I have a banana with almond butter before the gym with my coffee. Then I have my pwo meal consisting of chicken, steak or tuna salad, some type of potato and a vegetable. I'm giving you the general meal because I eat whatever I have on hand at the moment. I'm not a meal prepper so I can't always remember everything I ate! I also have fruit....mango, berries, grapes, plums and apples.

Specifics would be good as then we'd get a clear picture of volume of certain foods, but from the description you've given I'd comment as follows:

Simple meals are good, but sprouts, cauliflower and broccoli are all cruciferous veg which many people fnd problematic particularly when eaten in volume. If I ate them daily I'd be in bits so cutting back on those and adding in some other veg might be a good place to start.

Nuts (& their by products) are recommended to be eaten in moderation. Apart from the fact they're high in omega 6 fatty acids (which most people get too much of) they are also notoriously hard on the digestive system - you're having nut butter & nutpods - again you might want to cut back a little. As an aside a banana isn't your best option preWO as it's providing your body with an immediate source of fuel when you want it to learn to tap into it's fat stores...

Other than the bananas are you get any kind of starch? How much fruit are you eating?

Are you drinking the recommended half an ounce of water per pound of body weight, daily?

25 minutes ago, jmcbn said:

Other than the bananas are you get any kind of starch? How much fruit are you eating?

Are you drinking the recommended half an ounce of water per pound of body weight, daily?

I get my starch in my pwo meal everyday, either sweet potato, regular white potatoes or plantains. Otherwise my meals are only veggies and a protein. I only have almond butter maybe 2x a week but I do drink coffee every morning. I am drinking the amount of water I'm supposed to everyday as well. 

13 minutes ago, ultrarunnergirl said:

I would drop the broccoli, brussels sprouts and cauliflower and switch to non-cruciferous veggies like carrots, zucchini, green beans, tomatoes. Drop the fruit too until you figure out what's causing it. Nuts give me the same issue so skip the nut butter as well.

Hang in there!

I can give it a try, those veggies are my favorite :( I do like zoodles but that's the only way I'll eat zucchini. I can do carrots and green beans. Of course I just bought two heads of cauliflower and enough brussels for two meals! I can definitely skip the nut butter....I guess I have more work to do!!

• Moderators
2 hours ago, beachgrrl421 said:

I can give it a try, those veggies are my favorite :( I do like zoodles but that's the only way I'll eat zucchini. I can do carrots and green beans. Of course I just bought two heads of cauliflower and enough brussels for two meals! I can definitely skip the nut butter....I guess I have more work to do!!

Or, try JUST getting completely rid of the nut butter, nutpods and anything nuts as your first step. Then see if that does it or if you also need to cut the cruciferous veggies.

Thank you for sharing AnnaMichelle!! I'm glad (not happy though) that we share the same issue. I haven't had broccoli in about a week, lately it's been cauliflower and brussels, and also salad. Sometimes certain lettuces make me have issues too. It's just frustrating when you're following the plan and doing well but still having stomach problems!

5 hours ago, beachgrrl421 said:

Thank you for sharing AnnaMichelle!! I'm glad (not happy though) that we share the same issue. I haven't had broccoli in about a week, lately it's been cauliflower and brussels, and also salad. Sometimes certain lettuces make me have issues too. It's just frustrating when you're following the plan and doing well but still having stomach problems!

If other veg are causing you issues you might want to consider going low FODMAP until your digestive issues settle.

Have a read at >this article< and see what you think.

I had the same problem for a while and stopped both nuts and coffee for a few days and then it was fine.  If I drink coffee and don't consume nuts then it's also OK - it's the combination that does not work for me.  I admit that today I have consumed both (just couldn't resist the nuts...) and I can already feel that I am going to regret it.....

On 9/27/2016 at 2:09 AM, jmcbn said:

If other veg are causing you issues you might want to consider going low FODMAP until your digestive issues settle.

Have a read at >this article< and see what you think.

Thank you for the article! Wow it's very overwhelming!! I eat a lot of what's in the "avoid" column in the table they provided. I will definitely give this some thought!! 

I've been through the FODMAP elimination and it was worth it. For me as much as I LOVED the foods that caused my issues I love being free of my gut symptoms even more. It's been a few years, and I don't miss those foods at all anymore. And the Avoid list is not a permanent thing. After some time you can try introducing the foods in smaller amounts and one at a time to determine your individual threshold. 

Another way to think of your gut -- it is it's own microcosm and something like the Whole30 is like a massive climate change event. It will take time for your microflora to adapt to new foods like increased and different vegetables. Similarly it will take time to recover from the change. By removing the problematic foods, it's like taking away the sun or wind or what caused the climate change but you still have to wait for the dust to settle. So be patient. :)

Also, I've never had those nutpod things, but looking at the ingredient list...stuff like the gums are h*ll on my gut. Nutpods might be all Whole30 approved and "healthy" and this-free and that-free, but it doesn't mean it's good for you or your gut. Just another thing to think on as you troubleshoot. 

Archived