legume reintro

Babsie95

today is day 51 I am reintroducing legumes today. with M1 I had some miso soup, I am adding peanut butter (a good size amount) to my M2 and M3 will be a stirfry that uses soy sauce. I have already eaten breakfast and have felt no immediate effects.

what are some of the effects people have felt when reintroducing legumes? especially soy? I am not really sure what to look for. I have not noticed issues in the past with this food group so I don't expect any but kinda want to know what others have noticed

The reason to do reintroductions is to find out how YOU react to the food groups you eliminated during your Whole30. It doesn't matter what reactions others have or don't have as that has no effect on how your body behaves when consuming the food.

If you are following the reintroduction guidelines, then you have finished your Whole 30 and you only reintroduce one food at a time (and don't repeat it during your reintroduction period). If you have a reaction, you may notice it immediately or it may take a day or two. This is one reason why you go back to Whole30 eating for two days after your reintroduction day--so that you can observe any reactions to the reintroduced food, compared to your Whole30 "baseline."

If you do have reactions to legumes, you may want to later repeat them separately (e.g. soy on its own) to see if your reaction is more or less pronounced to certain foods.

• Administrators

@ArtFossil is generally right, you have to take your nice, clean baseline and then compare how that changes when you eat the food. Soy can be psychological, inflammatory or digestive.

Check out this thread where people posted their common reactions to various foods. Only.....don't pigeon-hole yourself to only looking for their reactions. Really assess your own personal reactions, especially the subtle ones like no longer waking easily, cranky/poor mood, flare ups of old injuries, poops no longer comfortable/easy etc.

I know its very individual and I am trying to be aware. I fear that due to love of soy sauce I might overlook something I shouldn't...I guess. Looking at others experiences will motive me to stay honest about my own. That being said I didn't really notice much except I think the peanut butter gave me the desire to munch later in the day.

• Moderators
3 hours ago, Babsie95 said:

I know its very individual and I am trying to be aware. I fear that due to love of soy sauce I might overlook something I shouldn't...I guess. Looking at others experiences will motive me to stay honest about my own. That being said I didn't really notice much except I think the peanut butter gave me the desire to munch later in the day.

Another thing to consider is that what you're looking for is whether something is worth it to you at a particular time. if you love soy sauce but it causes some kind of reaction, you decide if that reaction is worth it for you at a particular time.

For instance, if it makes you gassy, maybe that's worth it to in an occasional takeout meal so you can have days you don't cook. it might not be worth it at a business luncheon followed by an afternoon of meetings where you're in close proximity to your coworkers all afternoon. 

• Administrators
14 hours ago, 50andstillhere said:

Is it possible to experience extreme gas to black beans after eating them 15 hours ago?

I would think so. The gas is from the oligosaccharides (type of sugar) fermenting in your gut. Depending on your gut flora and the speed of your digestion, I would think that you could experience gas after eating them. What else have you been eating? Was black beans your only reintroduction?

My hisband told me he put beer in the beans and i have problems with carbonation and beer too. I had reintroductioned beans before in a salad and I didn't have a problem.  I also had stevia in a pea protein drink and I remember I had a slight headache and funny feeling. So not sure if it was combo of everything. Thanks for responding with your insight. 

• Administrators

beer (gluten), carbonation, black beans, pea protein and stevia

I think if you want to know specifically what caused your gas, you need to do each item individually. Peas affect me horribly, personally.

Archived