Cliche' but starting Jan. 1st

NotSoHappyEater

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey I am still here! :) I didn't get to try the new recipe but have been doing well.  A NSV for me was I made some soup and thought "that didn't take long ; it was less than an hour". This is from a former microwave queen who would pace and think that the 2 minutes and 30 seconds something was taking was too long.

We went to a family gathering to watch the football game. They had all kinds of junk food and I was ok with everything except there were freshly baked chocolate chip cookies. I was not hungry because I purposely ate right before we left.  I don't know if it was because the house smelled like the cookies or what but I had a hard time watching people eat them. I was trying to reason my way out of wanting one but that didn't seem to work. So I admitted I wanted one and just didn't eat it.   Ending day 22 strong.

6 hours ago, NotSoHappyEater said:

Interested to see how many actually made it through.

One year I tracked all the 1/1 start folks, it was like a couple hundred.  I think only maybe a dozen or so were still posting at the end. :rolleyes:

hey, here I am. Sorry I've been away, I've had some life changing events(newly single) and put my house on the market. It went under contract on Friday, and I bought ice cream. I only ate a small serving, but I had to do it. I know its breaking every rule, sugar, dairy, cravings, emotional eating, all of that mess we are trying to get away from, but I had to. Honestly, it was soooo good. It was so creamy and amazing and it did help me feel better. I didnt want to brush my teeth before bed because I could still taste the chocolate! Makes me think that my taste buds are brand new and super amazing! My stomach made quite a bit of noise, but didn't hurt. I didn't notice anything the next day either.  

Now I am in Ohio for work(another downer). Being stuck in an airport for 4+ hours, sad about my life and not able to eat anything was terribly hard yesterday. I finally found a restaurant that I could get plain grilled chicken on a salad. I started with, "I have a few dietary restrictions so if you don't mind, I have a few questions." The waitress was understanding but didn't actually know anything.

Unfortunately, the salad came with cheese all over it. I was discouraged. Do I send it back or just eat it anyway...?!  I sent it back and cried the rest of my lunch(a little because of the whole30, but mostly because my life has been turned up side down).

Eating away from home is really hard. I've read the book and I'm prepared... I packed the bars, I went to the grocery store, I'm checking the menus before hand, but this is hard. 

Makes me SO thankful for the meals we took time to prepare this last month at home. Also makes me SO grateful that this is a choice I'm making and not a real allergy or full time food restriction.

I'm looking forward, trying to keep my head up, and eating a lot of salad.  

Again, sorry for the griping, but thanks for listening. No one around me understands what its like to Whole30. 

Good luck Whole30ers! Day 24! We can do this! Go team go! 

Hi All

Sorry to hear of your situation PB, hang on in there!

For me its now day 17 and I am still on track.  Tried a venison casserole really slow cooked with loads of vegatables - very tasty.  Still thinking of buying the recipe books though.  Just starting to notice a change in energy levels being more consistent during the day.  Greatly encouraged which is good because I'm still getting real sugar cravings.  Well done to all you who are now in your last week of Whole 30.  Your right PB if your not on it you really don't get it.  My partner is struggling especially when I start talking lifestyle range rather than a 30 day fad!

All the best

Dan

On 1/22/2017 at 6:15 PM, Artemis22 said:

I was trying to reason my way out of wanting one but that didn't seem to work. So I admitted I wanted one and just didn't eat it.

GREAT demonstration of mindfulness!  No point in trying to deny or negate a desire.  Acknowledge the thought or feeling, then you can decide where you want to go from there.

Hello all!! I made cauliflower fried rice for dinner and added shrimp to it. It was good but I really wanted soy sauce. I am guessing because I always have soy sauce with Chinese type food. I put some hot sauce on instead to give it some flavor but that didn't really cut it.

I am thinking about my reintroduction: about what food I am going to do first. What is everyone choosing?

@Artemis22 have you tried coconut aminos? Not exactly the same as soy sauce (obvs) but I think it makes a decent sub.

For reintro, I'm kind of racking my brain about that.  Since this W30 has been a combo of AIP + low FODMAPs as well, I've got a crap ton of stuff I could potentially reintro isolation.  Since I wasn't doing it to correct any particular malady, I don't suppose I need to be as strict as someone that was going for relief from a gut problem or an autoimmune condition or something, but I still would like to take advantage of this clean slate we've created.

I'm going to see where the plans overlap and reference that with the foods I prefer to eat, and go from there.

Speaking of reintros, here is a great graphic of some of the reactions to be on the lookout for (from https://www.thepaleomom.com/reintroduction-quick-start-guide-new-free-download/)

Symptoms-Table.jpg

DAY 26! 

I've been eating a ton of boring restaurant salads with plain grilled chicken but I'm sticking with it! 

I am sooooo looking forward to being in my own kitchen! Weather permitting, tomorrow morning I will be eating (pre made and frozen) whole30 hash with sweet potatoes, onions, sausage, red peppers and an egg on top!  Cant wait! 

Way to go, that sounds like my breakfast.  You should pack the ranch dressing and take with you although the full flavor is a bit strong.

less than a week and eating my chicken meatball egg drop soup. Have a cruise in April so wonder if I can keep good habits but with Guys Burger Joint on there :blink:

I am jealous of a cruise...especially since it is cold and looks like snow here in Vermont.

I am toying with the idea of continuing on to make mine a Whole 45 or Whole 60. I was diagnosed with Fibro in December and wanted to see if I could feel better with diet changes before I tried the medicine suggested. My joint pain is better but I am still dealing with it so maybe, as the books point out, I just need a little longer.

I might try to hang longer.  Big doctors appt on 2/10 so trying to keep these numbers down.  I think if I stop it now I may binge a day or two so let these habits sink in a bit longer.  

I'm only in Indiana so not as bad as the Northeast.  We try to plan 2 vacations a year and one is Mom and Dad time.  We just started cruising a few years ago and now have 6 under our belts and 4 more booked.  Cruises are so not good for watching what you eat.....or maybe it's my small will power.  

My poor wife bailed on me the last week here, she has no ailments and is only slightly overweight.  She pulled me through this and still try's to be mindful of what we eat.  She lost about 5 lbs and didn't really feel different.

I know the rule no scales but I had to (and not starting over for stepping on a scale lol) I'm down 22lbs in 3 weeks.  Not sure I had a burst of energy return but do feel better.  Joints do feel better and I'm really more mindful of labels now.  I have found Piñata apples are my favorite. Oh Artemis I have also found if I want my cats to stay away...eat bananas lol.  My cats can't stand the smell they take off.

9 hours ago, NotSoHappyEater said:

I think if I stop it now I may binge a day or two so let these habits sink in a bit longer.  

Yeah, that's another reason why the reintro is so important.  Not only do you get that clean slate data on all the potentially problematic food categories, you also get to slowly come back to "the real world", adding back in certain foods and having your menu slowly expand while still adhering to W30 principles.

I wonder if I should put a banana under my pillow then??? I have one cat who sleeps all day and wants attention at 2 am.

I have decided to go longer NotsoHappy so we can hang together and keep each other motivated if you want.  I am trying to branch out and eat vegetables that I don't normally. I made Butternut squash last night and I guess I have never had it without maple syrup or some kind of sweetener on it. I put the Ras el Hanout  on it but that isn't going to be something I put in the make again list. The rutabaga I tried tonight was worth doing again.

22 pounds is awesome!! More motivation to keep going!

Archived