Cliche' but starting Jan. 1st

NotSoHappyEater

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey guys

some of you must be about done, well done your all awesome and you should be so proud of yourselves!  For me its day 22 and still on track.  Quick query:  My local store does beautiful shellfish (cockles and mussels) but it is in malt vinegar.  If I thoughly washed them and then put them with good compliant ingredients would they be OK or would that darn vinegar have ruined them?  Just a thought!

Dan

• Moderators
1 minute ago, Dthegunner said:

Hey guys

some of you must be about done, well done your all awesome and you should be so proud of yourselves!  For me its day 22 and still on track.  Quick query:  My local store does beautiful shellfish (cockles and mussels) but it is in malt vinegar.  If I thoughly washed them and then put them with good compliant ingredients would they be OK or would that darn vinegar have ruined them?  Just a thought!

Dan

The vinegar would have soaked all the way through, it wouldn't just be on the surface -- there's no way to completely wash it off, sorry.  You could plan to have them as part of your gluten-grain reintroduction if you wanted to.

1 minute ago, ShannonM816 said:

The vinegar would have soaked all the way through, it wouldn't just be on the surface -- there's no way to completely wash it off, sorry.  You could plan to have them as part of your gluten-grain reintroduction if you wanted to.

Thanks Shannon - darn it!  Thought that might be the case but no harm in trying lol.  Come too far to screw up now!

Dan

Day 29!!!!! We went to a birthday party for a one year old.

Last time we had a family gathering I was strongly disliking my cookie eating family. This time I really wasn't tempted by the cake and ice cream or chips and dip. I thought to myself " I CAN have anything I want. I am choosing not to because I am feeling better". This is progress for me as before I might have plotted how to steal the cake from the one year old when no one was looking. :) 

Artemis it's easy you just tap the 1 year old on the shoulder and then use other hand to reach around and pick it up.....

i have till Wed.  But I'm shooting for the 10th at least.  It's gotten so quiet on this board is anyone still hanging tough?

hopefully everyone is still feeling some great effects from this but the question is, will you change old habits?

Wow!   Day 30...  I am dying to weigh myself.  Probably only lost 5 lbs, which is fine, cuz I would rather lose it slowly and I don't have alot to lose... Also, I ate plenty...tons of roasted veggies and sweet potatoes,  and of  course plenty of eggs and chicken.  I will start a another Whole 30 on Feb 1st.  I eat so much better when I am following rules.   I hope everyone who is on day 30 enjoys it!  btw...I have endless energy being on Whole 30...one of my NSV's,:) but my ongoing tendonitis in my arms still lingers...

Thanks for the cake stealing pointers NotsoHappy!!! 

I am going to turn my Whole30 into a Whole60 to try to keep going with my new habits. My hope is 60 days will set them more than 30. I failed at reintroduction twice before and intend to do it right this time. Moderation has never been my strong point. I seem to be more consistent when the answer is just no, I can't have something. 

Like Sweetbrook  I am eating a ton of veggies and exploring new ones. A great NSV.

Hi everyone - realized today was Day 30 for some of you, so CONGRATULATIONS!  Reading some of the recent posts, sounds like you are all, like me, finding tempting foods much, much easier to resist.  Weak Willpower and carb cravings was the number 1 and 2 issues with my slow 40 lb weight gain and inability to lose it on any other diet - the strictness and good science of the Whole30 has completely solved both of those HUGE roadblocks to my progress.

I am simply amazed that my family can eat bread, candy, brownies and rice right in front of me, and I have ZERO desire to eat those things.  I just dig into my sweet, sweet potatoes (food of the gods now) and relax.  The willpower is effortless, and the cravings are zero.  I found the only challenge I still face is the HABITS of emotional eating, like after a super long day at work I wanted comfort food, and the HABIT of a sweet dessert after meals (now I just have a little fruit, or nothing).  

I do miss going out to dinner or lunch, that is so hard to do right that I just avoid it completely.  

My airline pilot job was slow this month, I was home 24 days, which I arranged, just for the whole30, but when the travel schedule spins up, I hope I can stay strong when the captain says "Beer and wings, my treat!" - social pressure is tough, and I'm refining my excuses for not indulging without being seen as a prude or holier than thou.

If you recall - I had one night at a NFL playoff game box seats with my buddy who is a VP at Miller Beer - on day 14 (Jan 14) - and I didn't have alcohol, but I pigged out on BBQ pork and beef (no sauce), and some lamb and shrimp.  I"m sure there were tons of additives, soy, oils, etc in there, so I started over.  I'm on day 15 of my restart.

Sounds like some of you are going into February staying strict, and so I am here with you.

Habits I still have to break 

1) eating too fast, distracted, and with a phone in my hand

2) eating at weird times, or only 2 big meals a day if I sleep in

3) eating snacks that are compliant, but kinda grazing all day, when I should stick to 3 square meals 3 times a day (4-5 hours apart without snacking).

So thanks for continuing to contribute, I'll try to do the same.

Help I need from you guys - what chain restaurants have you eaten at that you found or created a compliant meal?  I see applebees and outback and TGIF often - any tips on what and how to order at those type of places?

I was successful at asking for poached eggs, that worked great, with fruit, for one meal at a hotel.

Best of luck to all - I might weigh myself at 30 days... still debating - I'd bet I've lost 15-20 lbs!  My clothes and uniform are so loose now!

Hey airline food,  Artemis and I are definitely sticking to it a little bit longer.    There are a couple of dishes you can eat it chipotle, at steak place you just have to ask for a Bare steak a plain baked potato and take your own ghee.   If you have a Ruby Tuesday's close to you theyre very accommodating.  

I'm sure I'm not 100%. Like I snack on fruit between meals if I'm hungry knowing it will make me hungrier  but it does give me to the next meal. My big goal as I get to day 31 is to keep doing this and add a little exercise. 

I have a question. Has anyone else been cold?

I realize it is winter and I live in Vermont but the last two weeks I have been freezing. As in, I just bought warmer long underwear to wear under my already layered clothes. I am beginning to resemble either The Michelin Man or the Pillsbury Doughboy. Neither are good looks on a woman. I found an old post on here from 2012 and the suggestions to the person starting the post was that she was not eating enough carbs. I don't think that is my problem. Sweet potatoes are my new favorite thing and I have been eating a lot of them. Anyone else experiencing this?

15 hours ago, NotSoHappyEater said:

Hey airline food,  Artemis and I are definitely sticking to it a little bit longer.    There are a couple of dishes you can eat it chipotle, at steak place you just have to ask for a Bare steak a plain baked potato and take your own ghee.   If you have a Ruby Tuesday's close to you theyre very accommodating.  

I'm sure I'm not 100%. Like I snack on fruit between meals if I'm hungry knowing it will make me hungrier  but it does give me to the next meal. My big goal as I get to day 31 is to keep doing this and add a little exercise. 

mealtimes is now my biggest challenge.  I have found lots of good food and some awful disasters put down to learning!  But I rarely have time for breakfast on work days.  I eat a piece of fruit in the car.  Then its salads at lunchtime and more fruit and I don't get home for a main meal until gone 8pm.  Fruit snacking seems to be a regular event.  Really regret not enjoying sweet potatoes, squash or gourds I think its the texture more than the taste but there it is. 

Well done to all you completers here's hoping you reach your goals now and in the future.  I will be around if anyone wants to chat or anyone got any more of the great advice.

Blessings

Dan

8 hours ago, Artemis22 said:

I have a question. Has anyone else been cold?

I realize it is winter and I live in Vermont but the last two weeks I have been freezing. As in, I just bought warmer long underwear to wear under my already layered clothes. I am beginning to resemble either The Michelin Man or the Pillsbury Doughboy. Neither are good looks on a woman. I found an old post on here from 2012 and the suggestions to the person starting the post was that she was not eating enough carbs. I don't think that is my problem. Sweet potatoes are my new favorite thing and I have been eating a lot of them. Anyone else experiencing this?

6 hours ago, NotSoHappyEater said:

I've actually been a bit chillier which is strange for me since my house stays at 68.

I have felt the cold this year more than usual too.  Thought it was just getting older!

I actually had a nightmare last night that I cheated on my last day of whole30 and was super mad at myself and ashamed; I felt the need to hide it from everyone around me. 

Good (great) news is, I didn't actually! And I'm still going strong for day 31. 

Other good news: Whole foods are a whole lot cheaper than the paleo-ish cheat foods I had been buying previously. 

Cheat....on the last day, that would be a nightmare.  Close once last week but didn't cave in so I ran home and ate a nice meaty Piñata apple while I fixed something.

wish I could eat more veggies but my wife and parents cracked up when I tried to eat zucchini.  <_<

since corn isn't a veggie not sure I eat any much.  Carrots in beef stew and potatoes.  Like green beans but like corn not really a veggie.  I bought the whole 30 salad dressing and can handle it a lot better than the oil and viniger route.

My journey is going to continue although no promise of how long and for the 30 days end I was down 23 lbs and feel good at night instead of always tired and draggy.  Congrats to everyone that finished and anyone going longer, Artemis and airlinefood are still on here going a bit farther as I'm sure I can find a few good cats jokes to make Artemis laugh again.

Hey guys, I'm on Day 17 of my Whole46 :). Since my little indulgence was minor, probably some soy, some seed oils and some sugar in one meal...I decided to weigh myself after 31 days...

Lost 16 pounds!  250 down to 234.  Im 6'4, so my ideal weight is about 199-205.  Not bad at all. I FEEL like I lost 25 though, pants loose, shirts trim, spare tire way down, face looks trim instead of puffy.

Other benefits...few cravings besides a little fruit between meals, workouts are easy, recovery with almost no soreness, great sleep, consistent energy during the day, good moods.

Downsides, spending 1-2 hours a day in the kitchen doing prep and cleanup is a big commitment. Miss the convenience of processed food. Miss the ability to snack on pretzels or cheese or sweets. Kinda miss sugar free gum. Miss crunchy, salty snacks when watching netflix. Miss red wine.

Didn't mean to bring you down, just being honest, there is a cost here. But I'm OK with it. It's WORTH IT!  I feel healthy and I know I'm doing the right thing for me, and my family that depends on me.

I'm really looking forward to the summer, going to the lake and swimming and hanging around shirtless with no embarrassment, proud of my healthy body. That's what's keeping me eating Whole30 style until April or May, and beyond.  I'll probably do some reintroduction in March, and then eat 90 percent Whole30 until August 1, then I'll hit another strict Whole30 to reset any backtracking I did during summer fun and vacations. 

What's your guys long term plans?

To try and contribute a bit, let me tell you about one of my biggest time savers in the morning... Frittatas!  I used to make big scrambles with eggs, meat and veggies,  but now I do the same even bigger (like 11-12 eggs!), in an oven proof skillet, and bake it using the recipie in It starts with food book.

On a morning that i have extra time, I make a big Frittatta.  I cut the finished product into 8 slices, eat two, and refrigerate or freeze the other slices in packs of two, perfect for the next three days of breakfasts, or a lunch or dinner if I'm out of ideas.  Add some vegetables and some fat and I'm all set.

I can spell out the recipie if you guys want. Key thing is an oven proof skillet.  Didn't think I had one but one big one had a silicone handle and it worked.

My wife made those for us, she had a Spinich and mushrooms  with peppers and onions.   Can she jump off the bandwagon Sunday night I'll make little hashbrowns with peppers and I onions.  And pre-make some authorized bacon and then portion it all out.  Then in the morning I just scramble eggs in the potatoes and boom, good  breakfast to eat in front of the cats.

7 hours ago, airlinefood said:

Downsides, spending 1-2 hours a day in the kitchen doing prep and cleanup is a big commitment. Miss the convenience of processed food. Miss the ability to snack on pretzels or cheese or sweets. Kinda miss sugar free gum. Miss crunchy, salty snacks when watching netflix. Miss red wine.

Hey! What kind of meals have you been doing? I know it can be super fun to get really into the cooking but in my opinion, it's not longterm sustainable. Usually I eat anything that can be broiled in the oven with minimal attention paid to it: Baby carrots with ground beef or some other protein. Daily breakfast is half a sweet potato (broiled) with a chicken breast baked in apple cider vinegar. I buy sea salt in the grinder from Costco. Snack: Apple with almond butter. Lunch is usually pan fried pork loin with some sort of green veggie. Really basic but eeeeeassy to maintain. Hope that helps your long term summer goals! 

Airline my long term goal is to make this a Whole60 and then slowly reintroduce food. I am doing this to get rid of my fibro symptoms and improve my sleep. I have been an insomniac for years. I am seeing some progress so that helps to keep going.

Notsohappy- with as much as you tease those cats you should sleep with one eye open. :) 

Well, my whole 30 is over finally. Officially lost 25 pounds, actually it was 24 pounds and 4 ounces but I think one of my fat cats had to paw the scale.  Maybe I'll weigh myself again and hold a banana to keep the cats away.   One roll in my household is my bedroom door stay shut no cats allowed ever. 

Not sure how much longer I can stay on this hopefully I can get to the re-introduction phase eventually  but going to try to stick to it a while longer. How many sided if I'm going to be quite a straight if the boss wants to take me out or something, but will make good choices. 

As for long-term goals kind a like were said in the book I know will probably not eat whole 30 here and there but would like to keep 90% of what I've learned and on the plus side of this I have saved a lot of money from eating out.

Archived