Cliche' but starting Jan. 1st

NotSoHappyEater

I'm old lol, haven't used whatsapp.  Funny that I'm an IT Professional but I don't chat a lot except with family.  

If this group helps anytime you start, your welcome to join in.  As for facebook there is a group with a lot listed higher in the post.  I started one as I didn't find one but only a couple of us on there.

I find im actually excited to get going but really need to get some dinner meals made and in the freezer in the next couple days.  I also need some quick easy one for rushed nights.

Ready or not here it comes. 

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi guys, and surprisingly, this thread has a few actual "guys" in it. I'm Steve, a 47 year old airline pilot, father of 3 teens. Starting my first Whole30 on Jan 1st with you all. Please let me join in and support all of you.  I requested to join the FB group, but I'm not a huge social media guy, just occasionally on it.

Best of luck to you all, and best of health most of all. I'm doing this to be an active great-grandpa someday!

Hi there, hope I am not too late to join.  I have only completed one whole 30 -2 yrs ago. I have completed two weeks a few times.   I am hoping to finish this one and do the re- intro.  2016 was a really difficult year for me.  I have felt as though I am just surviving and I want to get back to thriving.  The glass or two of wine has also been my undoing.  Even if I am eating healthy I eat more than I would normally. The worst part for me recently has been the body aches  and lack of interest in things I normally enjoy.  Up until august I was was walking and doing yoga daily.  Now I feel like I need to lose weight before I even put on the gym clothes.  I generally would think of myself as athletic but I have recently become a couch potato-since the discovery of net flicks and binge tv watching.

i would be interested in support with exercise- maybe even a walk / run challenge.

I would also like to do a better job with meals.  I tend to find 1 or 2 recipes that I like and then eat them till I get sick of them.  I am not great at the meal planning, it's just me. Neither of my kids are into it.  So I am also cooking other non compliant meals as well.  I definitely need to eat more fruit and veggies.  I just saw a Facebook post of what the proportions are supposed to be and I am way off.  So this time I am hoping to do a better job of sticking to that as well.

lastly, i have also gotten sloppy with ingredients- as I am typing this I am realizing that the bacon I have for tomorrow has sugar as an ingredient even though it is from trader joes.   I can only find the bacon w/ out at whole foods and that is not all that convenient.   If anyone has any recommendations  about shopping, meal planning and recipes that my kids ( ages 13 and 16) might try I would be very grateful.

Carol

• Moderators
1 hour ago, anewme said:

I can only find the bacon w/ out at whole foods and that is not all that convenient.   If anyone has any recommendations  about shopping, meal planning and recipes that my kids ( ages 13 and 16) might try I would be very grateful.

Bacon freezes well -- if you have trouble finding it, you might consider buying multiple packages and freezing them until you need them (although you probably shouldn't eat it every day anyway). There are some places that you can order online as well, I know US Wellness Meats has some, and then I think online shopping places like Thrive Market also have some options.

For meal planning, I prefer a weekly cookup -- prepping enough food one day on the weekend that you don't have to do much more than reheat items throughout the week.  I tend to keep most of my meats seasoned pretty simply -- salt & pepper, usually some garlic and onion -- and then change up the flavors with sauces or dips or just by changing up my vegetables.

As far as your kids, I know a lot of people do sort of a combo thing -- most of the meal is compliant, but there are some non-compliant extras for family members not doing Whole30. So, do tacos with compliant taco meat, you have yours in lettuce wraps or as a taco salad with lots of veggies, they can have theirs in taco shells or tortillas -- salsa and guacamole (and olives if you like them on your tacos) are easy to find or make compliant versions of, and then if they want cheese or sour cream, they add that. Or, make burger patties that are compliant, with oven baked "fries" -- they can have a bun for theirs, you can have yours using sweet potato slices or portabella mushrooms for buns, or have them wrapped in lettuce or collard green leaves or just as a hamburger steak or crumbled up in a salad. Again, some possible toppings you can find compliant versions of -- pickles, mayo, mustard, tomatoes, onions, other vegetables, and then let them add cheese or whatever they want on theirs. It's not quite making them eat Whole30, but it saves you time on the food prep.

For actual compliant recipes they might like, it's hard to say for sure without knowing what kinds of foods they eat, but in general, would they not eat pot roast or stew or grilled or baked chicken with whatever vegetables you make for sides? If you wanted, you could fix them some rice or some bread to go with theirs. If you have a slow cooker, you could do something like Kalua Pork or a whole roast chicken, have that with a baked potato or sweet potato (they can top theirs with whatever they like -- you can use ghee or olive oil, salt & pepper for a regular potato, or ghee or coconut oil and some cinnamon on a sweet potato), maybe some green beans, broccoli salad, or just a nice salad. It's not specifically kids' foods, but it's food that most people should be okay with eating.

Hi everyone, hope it's alright that's I jump in on this group, I'm starting today too!

I'm Jazmin, im in the U.K. and this will be my third round, I'm 22 and work as an athlete, so nutrition is pretty key for work as well as general life. I don't have to compete til mid next month so this felt like the perfect time to do another round, as I always feel and train better in full w30 flow! Looking forward to this January whole 30 with you all! 

Good luck to all of you who started yesterday.  I am waiting till after my birthday but would still like to be part of this support group if that is OK.  Starting Saturday 7th Jan.

By the way found ASDA (Walmart) Dry Cure Smoked Bacon appears to be compliant.  Looking forward to taking the plunge.  Help with meal planning would be great.

Welcome to all.  Is it going well?  I actually delayed until tomorrow and now the wife is joining me.  Should make it a bit easier for meals.  I was glad we just picked up some all beef hot dogs at Fresh Thyme that are Whole 30 approved.  Great for when I need something NOW.

running around now to grab some bacon.

Hi Everyone!

Just starting today. I tried Whole30 last year and made it 15 days before a Napa business trip. I loved how I felt, tons of energy. My goals are to lower my blood pressure, drop extra weight and learn better eating habits. 

Hey! I started on the 1st as well. This is my second Whole 30, the first was in August and turned into a Whole 56, ha. After that, I did it mostly on, but a handful of days off, until mid November where I just went off the rails and here I am ready to start over!

Things I found out in my first Whole 30:

- they are not kidding about making those emergency foods "emergency only". That's an easy trap to fall into, finding yourself grabbing a bar...daily?  I did that for about a week, came to my senses and haven't eaten one since.  I am, however, highly addicted to SeaSnax.

- the tiger blood feeling makes you feel like a different person. At least it felt that way to me. Rawwwrr.

- your clothes may possibly fall off, be warned. I came mightily close to flashing my neighbors when my yoga pants almost fell off while carrying in groceries. (yes I wore yoga pants to the grocery, but they weren't pajama pants!)

Anyway, I'm SO EXCITED to be on track again! I've requested to join the couple of Facebook boards I saw in this thread, although I'm not much of a social media person. (haha when you have to do social media as your day job, it makes one shy away from it in off-hours!) 

I'm all for any boards, any threads, any private messages or connections or honestly just whatever!  It's so great to have us all diving into this, for a healthier 2017!

Hey everyone! How's it going?

im eating dinner at 10:45pm cause I wasn't prepared enough :( but the upside is, it's delicious :) roasted chicken thighs and legs with a large helping of aubergine and some homemade guac (I know I'm short on greens here, on it tomorrow!)

I was super tired all morning, and training was a struggle, but I got through it, I think I'd forgotten quite how much I need to eat when I'm eating proper food...no complaints on making my portions a little bigger tomorrow :) 

If anyone is struggling with the cooking side of things, bulk cooking may change everything :D my favourite NomNomPaleo trick is cooking two chickens at once!

http://nomnompaleo.com/post/26079656034/julia-childs-classic-roast-chicken swap the butter for ghee or duck fat or both. Keep the bones in the freezer for making bone broth.

25 minutes ago, NotSoHappyEater said:

Well I'm going to be in trouble in general as I hate green food.  Not much of a veggie eater in general but going to hold my nose and get some broccoli and carrots and more veggies down.  Love potatos lol

Just try lots of things :) this one is popular with a lot of veggie haters and it's all veggie (I love it made with chicken bone broth) http://meljoulwan.com/2012/11/05/silky-gingered-zucchini-soup/

Green things + duck fat = awesome

Hi everyone!

I started yesterday. I completed two Whole 30's in 2016 and completely messed up the reintroduction both times. I want to do it right this time. I've also spent December eating sugar like it was never going to be available to me.. ever.. again . So I'm craving something sweet but determined to do this.

I started January 1st.  Completed my First Whole 30 on November 24th....totally fell off the wagon.  Ate grains, sugar, you name it.  By the end of the holiday I felt like crap.  My boyfriend is supportive but not up for the "whole" 30 so he's going to do a "half" 30.  He can't give up creamer in his coffee or bread.  But he committed to no drinking alcohol and eating a Whole 30 compliant meal with me each night. 

I have numerous autoimmune problems so I'm hoping for some relief again from the symptoms. 

Good Luck everyone!!! It's Day 3 if you started on January 1, we'll be 10% by bedtime tonight.

Hi Everyone!

I also started January 1st.  Day 3 already...  I already have more energy!!  I went shopping at Trader Joe's on Saturday and bought plently of veggies, fruit, chicken, etc.  This is my 3rd Whole 30 and I am very much looking forward to feeling great and losing my muffin top:D

I made the Cauliflower Chowder from the "30 Egg-free Whole 30 Breakfast" post that was on Facebook yesterday. We had it for dinner instead of breakfast. We did not have any Whole 30 bacon for it so that is the only thing we left out. Wanted to let you know it was pretty easy to make ( I am just starting to learn to cook), and turned out really good.

On 12/19/2016 at 5:05 PM, NotSoHappyEater said:

Well, this has a lot of responses and I notice I'm the only Male so far lol.  Does anyone have a Facebook group going for this?  I started on think some of my friends might accept a challenge.  I will need a lot of moral support and as this is to eat better it's also for weight a bit but my GERD is bothering my esophagus.  If you all see any useful websites for snacks or places to buy things please post.  I found a posting with some snack ideas a ideas for purchases from Costco.   About to be a busy Forum, enjoy the holidays everyone.

I'm a dude! B)

Archived