Commiting to a December 26th Start Date

jenrunsaustin

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Happy  new year's everyone.  Had a nice start with a mimosa run which I had done for the past 5 years - this year only strawberries and sparkling water for me, still enjoyed it!  Went to breakfast afterwards and had poached eggs with avocado. pico de gallo and fruit - looked just as good as everyone else's meals.

Brisket is cooking away in the crock pot and about to start making a compliant BBQ sauce that uses pineapple in place of sugar.

5 hours ago, pickle14 said:

Happy New Year everyone!  I began on 12/26 myself.  No time like the present!  I decided not to wait for the New Year.  Sick and tired of feeling sick and tired.  I have Lyme disease and it affected my heart, so I am on antibiotics, herbal stuff, and my heart rate is now under control with beta blockers.  Good grief!  I'm trying to get a handle on this joint pain and decided a reset was indicated.  So far so good.  I sprung for real plans and am loving it!  I'm 60, and have been menu planning g for 40+ years.  What a delight to have that done for me.  I love to cook and can and garden, so eating healthy once I make up my mind comes easily for me.

Pickle14 someone close to me just got lyme and ended up on a pacemaker in icu...totally on the mend now, but what a terrible disease. You're wise to address it from a nutritional angle as well....

1 hour ago, Kathleenkp said:

I'm commenting just so I can follow your posts.  My husband and I were finishing up our first Whole30 just as this group was starting.  We are planning to continue eating Whole30-ish.  

Higs mentioned that I might come check out your group as there are endurance athletes here.  I'm intested in getting my distance back up.  While training for a Half-Ironman, I put on 8 pounds (no, it wasn't muscle).  I'd like to figure out how to eat to support the longer workouts that I like to do, but without the accompanying weight gain - which inevitably sets me back.  Weight has been an issue my whole life, despite being fairly physically active.

I had a four hour swim that I was building to at the end of December, but I didn't make it.  I had done a 3 hour swim two weeks prior and been just fine, but that was about 2 weeks into the program.  I only made it 3/4 as far as that one - during the one that was supposed to be the actual swim, and my paces were incredibly slow for me.  I ended up losing a significant amount of weight during the 30 days, so I think the drain in energy on my body was just too much to handle.  It was very hard for me emotionally, and I stubbornly went another 40 minutes or so after I should have quit.  My coaches were watching me from the start and were surprised that I made it as far as I did.  So for me at this point, I really can't do any of the endurance workouts I like.  I will need to keep everything to 1-1/2 hours at most for a while, and probably closer to 45-60 minutes.  

My husband loves to cook.  I like planning out the food and thinking about the why's, but he gets excited about the execution and the methods in a way that I just can't.  

Kathleenkp, every person is unique so I can only share from my perspective, but for what it's worth....I am a distance cyclist-almost exclusively gravel/off road stuff with lots of climbing. So long and technically challenging/difficult. 6 or 7 hours would be a bigish ride for me. What I have found when doing the w30, or in a weight loss focused stage, is that if I dial my intensity back SIGNIFICANTLY  (as in I feel stupid slow) I can do the distances/hours. I usually feel like complete crap at the start, and gradually  (at about an hour or 2000 feet of climbing) start feeling more human. From there on, feel ok but no zap. The key seems to be to work well below my "normal " threshold. Don't know if that's any help-best of luck!

Hello all,

I began on December 30th, so a couple of days after most of you. This is my first time and I am doing it at the suggestion of my husband. He is going to start on January 3rd. I decided to take advantage of my 5 day weekend, thought I might want more time in the kitchen/grocery shopping etc. Instead it turns out that I have needed that time for naps, have really been experiencing "carb flu". I enjoy cooking for the most part but I think that I was enjoying sugar *far* too much.

7 hours ago, jenrunsaustin said:

If I could save the Almond butter I wouldn't need to throw it out - one of those no self control foods:P

The suggestion went to good use - we are having this for dinner tonight.  I've got to get into the kitchen and help finish up with it.

The Well-Fed Pad Thai was a hit and two of my kids asked us to make it regularly.  My husband said he felt like he was "eating out".  It was a little surprising b/c we didn't think the spaghetti squash could pull it off (and it's something we like to eat) and the Sunshine Sauce recipe had a different taste to it - we felt it was the coconut aminos.  It definitely wasn't the same taste as peanut sauce.  But once it was all together, it was great!  

So thanks for that recommendation - intended for someone else!

We feel like we are eating so well on this program.  It was not what we expected at all.  We thought we'd feel deprived - and we certainly wish we could eat certain things - but there is so much good stuff.

Today we had:

Meal 1:  eggs, tomato soup with avocado, grapefruit

Meal 2:  celery, almond butter, apple, smoked pork, sweet potato.  I was hungry and had the first three, then decided it should just be a meal rather than an additional snack, and added some leftover pork I found in the frig.  I was working on food prep for the upcoming days, and hadn't had time to prepare a proper meal.  Then I had to had some of the sweet potato as it was coming out of the oven.  I never knew I loved sweet potatoes so much before starting this program.

Meal 3: Pad Thai with Sunshine Sauce (made with almond butter instead of sesame butter). We used the spaghetti squash and green snap peas in it.

10 hours ago, stravajunkie said:

Kathleenkp, every person is unique so I can only share from my perspective, but for what it's worth....I am a distance cyclist-almost exclusively gravel/off road stuff with lots of climbing. So long and technically challenging/difficult. 6 or 7 hours would be a bigish ride for me. What I have found when doing the w30, or in a weight loss focused stage, is that if I dial my intensity back SIGNIFICANTLY  (as in I feel stupid slow) I can do the distances/hours. I usually feel like complete crap at the start, and gradually  (at about an hour or 2000 feet of climbing) start feeling more human. From there on, feel ok but no zap. The key seems to be to work well below my "normal " threshold. Don't know if that's any help-best of luck!

You sound intense!  That's interesting that you feel so bad initially, yet are able to keep pushing through.

I saw others have seemed to do OK with their longer workouts, so I hoped my experience would be the same.   My swimming pace was about 25% slower than normal, so I thought I could last doing that. But it got to where I was barely moving and I couldn't deny that I needed to stop (not to mention that I was "practicing" terrible form at that point).  The chills set in as soon as I stopped moving - usually I get 10 minutes sitting around in the pool before that happens.  I'll keep at it and see if my body adjusts more in the upcoming weeks.

15 hours ago, jenrunsaustin said:

If I could save the Almond butter I wouldn't need to throw it out - one of those no self control foods:P

You could make some sunshine sauce but that could be no self-control, too.  I, personally, am trying monomeal this time because I haven't been able to get past day 3 for a year, and day 10 the year before that.  Ground beef and zucchini for me until I get some self-control back.

3 hours ago, Kathleenkp said:

The Well-Fed Pad Thai was a hit and two of my kids asked us to make it regularly.  My husband said he felt like he was "eating out".  It was a little surprising b/c we didn't think the spaghetti squash could pull it off (and it's something we like to eat) and the Sunshine Sauce recipe had a different taste to it - we felt it was the coconut aminos.  It definitely wasn't the same taste as peanut sauce.  But once it was all together, it was great!  reen snap peas in it.

The first time I did a successful Whole30, I reached a point where I was so sick of blocks of meat.  The pad thai with the spaghetti squash gave me the full "mouth feel" that I was desperate for.

13 hours ago, Kenzje said:

Hi! I started Dec 26 but this is my first post here.

day 7 has been rough mentally - cranky, anxious to see changes in my body, still eating emotionally. Harrumph! Anyone else in the same boat? 

Hi:  Other than my insides rebelling a bit, I had the opposite..  by joints started feeling better by day 3-4 but then again , I'm an old guy..  lol..   I need to so to get out the rut and routine regarding food I was in.  Enjoying to cook helps a lot.   I really like it so I'm actually having fun so far..  I'd try to think of it like that.  Hell, I made my own ketchup for the first time!!!  and I love Ketchup!   Hang in there....  we can do anything related to food for 30 days!!  By the end of next weekend, we're half way!!

Hi everyone!  Day 8!  The first week flew by for me and I feel fully back in the groove of W30 eating.  I cooked all weekend and have food for the week.  My wrists is sore from chopping veggies!  This morning I popped awake again and noticed that my alarm hadn't gone off;  but it was exactly the time that I get up.  I love that about the Whole30.

This weekend I had a couple of hikes in the snow (so pretty!) and did a lot of hauling of things.  I didn't get the dining room quite cleared out to the point I had intended, but made a good dent!  Next weekend my plan is to clean up and spritz up my workout room to make it more inviting.

@Kenzje have you seen the Whole30 timeline?  It's different for everyone and might take some people longer than others to get to feeling good.  But it can be a nice guide to remind yourself - oh yeah - this is the part where I feel like I'm gaining weight.  For me, different changes kick in at different points.  I'm going to try a strength training workout tomorrow and I have a feeling it's going to suck.

@JaneEyre, I tried to sleep 9 hours a night my first week.  Those first few days can be hard!  Go easy on yourself and the good things will come!

@drtracyb, what is a monomeal?  It doesn't sound inviting.  Make something really tasty and healthy!  You will learn to crave the healthy stuff; don't torture yourself in the meantime.  What happens for you when the feeling of no self control kicks in?  For me when cravings hit, I know they are short-lived so I just need to distract myself for 5 minutes.  I drink a glass of water, take the dog out for a walk, that kind of thing.  

Speaking of water:  I tracked my water consumption for the week and nailed my goal of 64+ ounces every day.  Whoop whoop!  Is everyone hydrating well?

Onwards, Dec 26ers!

Good morning everybody! Hope all is well in Whole30 land!

@Kenzje I'm only on day 6 today. I don't think I've been cranky but I do think my husband has been unusually annoying these last couple days (haha. Doing my best not to take out irritability on him). Actually for me what I really noticed yesterday was fatigue. I've been so excited about making healthy changes that I probably jumped in to exercising efforts a little too enthusiastically at the same time as starting the Whole30 (I've been pretty inactive all fall) and so I went for a long snowshoe hike on day 4, then yesterday I went skating and then, since it was such a beautiful day, asked my husband to go for a walk with me immediately after. Half way through the walk I felt like a battery-operated toy that just ground to a stop. I felt like I wanted to sit by the road and phone someone to come pick me up because I couldn't walk any further! haha  Needless to say I did manage to make it home but felt sooooo tired, not sleepy just totally depleted. Then on top of the tiredness I had no appetite either. I managed to eat four little meatballs for dinner with homemade mayonnaise on top and I felt bad about not managing any veggies, but my stomach just couldn't do it. So, yesterday was kind of weird, but I'm quite thrilled to have completed five compliant days. 

On a different note, last night I watched a documentary on Netflix called Finding Traction. It follows ultra marathoner Nikki Kimball as she attempts to break the world record on Vermont's 273 mile Long Trail. I think some of you endurance athletes would really enjoy it, and from a Whole30 point of view, it was an amazing reminder of the physical challenges that humans can overcome when they are determined to reach a goal.

5 hours ago, michelle123 said:

On a different note, last night I watched a documentary on Netflix called Finding Traction. It follows ultra marathoner Nikki Kimball as she attempts to break the world record on Vermont's 273 mile Long Trail. I think some of you endurance athletes would really enjoy it, and from a Whole30 point of view, it was an amazing reminder of the physical challenges that humans can overcome when they are determined to reach a goal.

Have you ever watch The Barkley Marathons on Netflix - fantastic these people are crazy.  I watched it again before my last event when I couldn't seep the night before.  I will look up finding traction.

Yesterday was ok overall, but probably snacking more that I should.  I try and call it my  pre and post workout food but when I ran at 8am and still snacking at 4 probably doesn't count.  Doing a little better today on the snack front.

1 hour ago, michelle123 said:

Yes, I loved it! Unbelievable! It is awesome what people can do.

2 hours ago, jenrunsaustin said:

Have you ever watch The Barkley Marathons on Netflix - fantastic these people are crazy.  I watched it again before my last event when I couldn't seep the night before.  I will look up finding traction.

I loved that movie!!

I started on the 26th as well, but this is my first post in this thread.  I struggled through the first few days, mainly fatigue, 'heavy' limbs, mental fog, nagging hunger, bloating, getting tired really early in the evening, and ironically insomnia and waking up too early.  I noticed yesterday I was coming down with a sinus cold, and this morning was ROUGH.  I laid in bed for a half hour after waking just trying to muster the energy to move.  Going to the gym was straight out, even though I had been maintaining regular workouts (albeit lower intensity) since I started.  I did however decide to get some walking in after lunch, and towards the end of 2 miles, I had this moment where I could feel the mental fog lift.  I'm not sure if it was psychosomatic or an actual physical switch, but I have felt so much better this evening.  Hopefully that was the switch flipping for me!     

On 1/2/2017 at 9:38 AM, michelle123 said:

I saw Finding Traction last night - She is amazing.  She runs on a fat adapted diet.

Day 8 in the books - still doing ok.  I was really impressed with myself over all over the weekend.  Cooked some, ran and walked, rest, didn't get much cleaning done, but didn't need the distraction like I thought I would.  Made a great frittata -yum.  I didn't get a lot of other food prepared for the week so I am a little concerned as the next couple of days won't be home until a little later than I like to eat and I will have to come up with something and cook it - I have food in the fridge but I would rather have it planned out and ready then having to deal with it when I was hungry.

How is everyone else doing?

Good Earth Sweet and Spicy Tea - Refound an  old favorite - I love this tea - comes in both reg and decaf - definitely has a sweet overtone to it, but NO sugar it is just Black tea, natural flavor, rosehip, lemongrass, cinnamon, chamomile, peppermint, jasmine green tea, anise seed, ginger root, orange peel, orange oil.  It is great both hot and Iced.  There is a store locator on the website.

http://shop.goodearth.com/Sweet-and-Spicy/p/GET-301349N&c=GoodEarth@AllTeas

5 hours ago, jenrunsaustin said:

I saw Finding Traction last night - She is amazing.  She runs on a fat adapted diet.

Day 8 in the books - still doing ok.  I was really impressed with myself over all over the weekend.  Cooked some, ran and walked, rest, didn't get much cleaning done, but didn't need the distraction like I thought I would.  Made a great frittata -yum.  I didn't get a lot of other food prepared for the week so I am a little concerned as the next couple of days won't be home until a little later than I like to eat and I will have to come up with something and cook it - I have food in the fridge but I would rather have it planned out and ready then having to deal with it when I was hungry.

How is everyone else doing?

Day 8 for me today and going strong....  I haven't a chip, dip, cheese, bread, or beer for over a week....  and thats saying something for me!!  I can honestly say, I can feel the difference, especially in my knees and ankles.  I'm getting some looks at work with all lunches I bring, but its all in good fun.  By this time next week, we're half way!!!  keep plugging...  

Hi everyone!  What day is it - 10?  We're blazing through this thing!  I'm feeling really good and have a good groove going at the moment.  I fell asleep within seconds last night - joy!!  @access2003, my coworkers were teasing me a bit too.  I was eating this huge salad yesterday on this frigid cold day and they were eating all this hot buttery Indian food.  It didn't actually even appeal to me.

I had another food dream - this time I was halfway through a latte and realized I'd just blown my Whole30.  

Have a great day, gang!

Archived