Commiting to a December 26th Start Date

jenrunsaustin

3 minutes ago, access2003 said:

I'm doing really good...  I thought I slept like a rock before this, but now entering week 3, its amazing.  joints noticeably better too.  I can tell I've lost weight too..  the biggest urge has been to step on a scale and see how much, lol...  but I'm happy with the feeling in my clothes for now.  I can tell my bod is now pretty void of anything it using against me be for I started.  Went to store today and stocked up on a whole new menu plan for the final week.  I attempted to make fried rice with cauliflower and added chicken.  turned out really good, and really easy!!   On to the last 10 days

Yay!!  That is awesome!

I've been meaning to try the cauliflower fried rice...  It sounds tasty.

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Moderators
2 hours ago, access2003 said:

Being the planner I like to be, and entering our last full week I have to start thinking about reintroduction.  I can't just hit day 31 and start planning for it.  So my plan is to reintro 1 maybe two things.  My question is what is it in legumes , beans, etc that effects our bodies negatively?  Beans would be higher on my list of considerations to reintro when the time comes.  I don't really miss them but they would open so many more menu choices going forward.  No sugar and an added source of protein...  thoughts anyone?  Have legumes been anyone else's list as one of the first things to reintro in past whole 30s they've done?    I'm hoping I can continue to stay away from the sugar thing for some time to come.  #whole30day19

This article might help you with the beans question... it's answered in great detail in the book It Starts with Food if you have that, but the manifesto I"m linking should at least help.  I personally LOATHE beans so I never re-intro'd them and to be honest, I only skimmed the section of the book because I have no intention of eating them ever... 

http://whole9life.com/2012/09/the-legume-manifesto/

32 minutes ago, SugarcubeOD said:

This article might help you with the beans question... it's answered in great detail in the book It Starts with Food if you have that, but the manifesto I"m linking should at least help.  I personally LOATHE beans so I never re-intro'd them and to be honest, I only skimmed the section of the book because I have no intention of eating them ever... 

http://whole9life.com/2012/09/the-legume-manifesto/

thanks @SugarcubeOD, this was a really good article and answered a lot of my question.   

Hey guys/gals! Higs asked how everyone is doing. I have been chewing  (SORRY! Couldn't resist the pun :) ) on this....we have had a lot of life chaos lately and I've been straying far from template eating-lots of dried fruit and nuts, not enough water and too much munching between meals. Tomorrow is day 17 for me, so a little over half way. I think I really, really, want to finish this thing strong. I am not experiencing great energy, because of poor eating and because of raw lack of sleep. I do have a goal to lose a bit of weight on this round, because I've gained a bit due to poor habits (eating for every reason under the sun other than hunger). But my primary goal is the habits themselves, because the weight will take care of itself with good eating. So by continuing my habits of munching, eating between, eating past full, etc. I am really shooting myself in the foot and sabotaging the main reason I'm doing this....sorry for the introspection, but typing this out helps me organize my thoughts. 100% template and 0% between meals = my 2nd half goal.

14 hours ago, access2003 said:

Being the planner I like to be, and entering our last full week I have to start thinking about reintroduction.  I can't just hit day 31 and start planning for it.  So my plan is to reintro 1 maybe two things.  My question is what is it in legumes , beans, etc that effects our bodies negatively?  Beans would be higher on my list of considerations to reintro when the time comes.  I don't really miss them but they would open so many more menu choices going forward.  No sugar and an added source of protein...  thoughts anyone?  Have legumes been anyone else's list as one of the first things to reintro in past whole 30s they've done?    I'm hoping I can continue to stay away from the sugar thing for some time to come.  #whole30day19

I, too, will add beans soon.  I had planned on adding them this week (a little here and there, to open up other options), but then I went through the newest cookbook and found too many options.  So...maybe we will add some lentils towards the end of the week.

I had read the article earlier, and kind of resisted it.  But when I thought out how beans could actually fit in (as in, which recipes I would put on the menu), I found they would likely crowd out the veggies and proteins.  So I decided I'm on board with the reasons beans were left out of the program.  However, we would still like to have them from time to time.  I think we may get some stomach discomfort when we test them - it's been so long without them that I'm sure our gut bacteria will have to readjust again.

Well, I went and dug into the Trader Joe's Christmas cookies that I've been holding onto since before Thanksgiving.  My body handled the first one just fine...and the second one... but it felt pretty awful from the continued munching.   I was surprised how familiar the tastes still were.  I guess I was expecting the tastes to be a whole new experience since I haven't had them for so long.  I should have eaten another actual meal b/c I was hungry.

Back on the wagon and program eating tomorrow.  

We made the zucchini "noodles" with shrimp and romesco sauce from the first W30 book.  I used peppers instead of tomatoes, though. We liked the shrimp and sauce, but we will sauté the zucchini next time instead of steaming it.  It shrank down to nothing, and it was pretty water-logged and soggy.

56 minutes ago, Kathleenkp said:

I, too, will add beans soon.  I had planned on adding them this week (a little here and there, to open up other options), but then I went through the newest cookbook and found too many options.  So...maybe we will add some lentils towards the end of the week.

I had read the article earlier, and kind of resisted it.  But when I thought out how beans could actually fit in (as in, which recipes I would put on the menu), I found they would likely crowd out the veggies and proteins.  So I decided I'm on board with the reasons beans were left out of the program.  However, we would still like to have them from time to time.  I think we may get some stomach discomfort when we test them - it's been so long without them that I'm sure our gut bacteria will have to readjust again.

Thanks @Kathleenkp   that Whole 9 site was really cool with all the "manifestos"  I will hold off on the beans, though I agree with you.  Instead of putting beans in my chili I'm making today, I'll just put in 3 diff kinds of meat..  lol...  I was reading up on chili too, did you know that "real" red chili has no beans??  had to imagine chili without beans, at least for me, but those are the rules for national chili cook-offs..  I'm on Day 20..  On to the last full week!!

Hello everyone, it is good to hear everyone's updates. I just got back from spending the weekend at my brother-in-law's, and my mother-in-law was visiting as well. Such weekends are usually filled with every imaginable form of food and alcohol, plus a great deal of family drama/stress, so I was quite nervous about it, and likely wouldn't have even planned to Whole30 right now if I had known this event would be taking place, but it all got planned after I'd started. Here I am, the weekend is over, and I'm still compliant!  *Happy dance* This experience has taught me so much that it is hard to even sum it up. I learned that I don't have to eat no matter how much someone else wants me to; that I can hang out with people that are eating rich, sugary foods and enjoy their company without feeling either resentful or self-righteous; that I can go to a coffee shop and enjoy a small black coffee; that I can survive feeling a little awkward and self-conscious as I apologetically explain why I'm going to eat my own weird little meal but that everyone can handle it and if anything, they react with curiosity and even a little envy (they all want to lose weight too) and don't actually ostracize me; that I can look at previously tempting foods and actually feel relieved that I don't have to eat them. I am so buoyed by this victory, that I am convinced now that I will make it rest of the 30 days. Not only that, but I'll probably keep going, because I truly am starting to feel a sense of freedom for the first time in about 22 years. When I was about 18 I developed an eating disorder, and although I overcame some of the destructive behaviours- either rigid control or its opposite, the complete lack of all control followed by purging- eventually, the way I had to heal from those things was to allow myself to eat all foods without restrictions for many years. This ultimately led to a really unhealthy, pretty standard north American diet and of course a lot of weight gain. Over the years I've tried lots of ways to lose weight but I never stuck with any long enough to make much progress. With this, I am starting to feel just a sense of calm coming over me. It's kind of hard to explain but definitely something new. I'm not thinking about food all the time, I'm not trying to fight the desire to give up and eat "bad" things, I just feel rather peaceful about it all and really, think about food much less than ever before.

Sorry for the novel :unsure: but I wanted to share.

On January 14, 2017 at 2:32 PM, access2003 said:

Being the planner I like to be, and entering our last full week I have to start thinking about reintroduction. 

I am not sure at this point if I'm going to go longer (maybe a Whole 60) or if I am going to reintro one or two things, but something I really miss, strangely enough, is oatmeal. I love having a warm bowl of oatmeal for breakfast and sometimes struggle to get eggs down early in the morning. I don't mind eating salad and meat at breakfast but as that's already my usual lunch and dinner it does get rather monotonous. As some of you mentioned re. beans, I don't want to replace vegetables with oatmeal because I'm pretty sure the key to my success so far has been eating a large amount of vegetables.

(I also really miss cream and sugar in my coffee but I won't be letting those back in any time soon. I know for sure if they come back, everything will go to pot).

• Moderators

@michelle123 That sense of calm is what I felt too on my first Whole30.  Like food was finally not in charge and I could hear other thoughts in my head since the din of the food conversation was quieted.  I know there are a lot of people that have felt that too but may not have been able to put it into words so thank you for sharing and congrats on your weekend!!!

I hesitate posting because I feel as if I might be a "debbie downer" here. I've stuck to the rules and I'm trying persevere but this is my first Whole30 and I am still struggling getting my energy levels up, I catch myself staring at my family members' food when we go to restaurants, and my joints hurt worse than ever... any advice?? 

However, I do have to admit that I'm a first year medical student and this is my hardest module to date...

2 minutes ago, SugarcubeOD said:

@michelle123 That sense of calm is what I felt too on my first Whole30.  Like food was finally not in charge and I could hear other thoughts in my head since the din of the food conversation was quieted.  I know there are a lot of people that have felt that too but may not have been able to put it into words so thank you for sharing and congrats on your weekend!!!

Thank you Sugarcube:D I actually tried a Whole30 once before but failed. I was registered here under a different username and I made a new account this time because I was embarrassed that I didn't make it the last time. However, I remember you and you were very supportive then and your support meant a lot to me then. I know I am going to do it this time. Just wanted to let you know that the work you moderators do makes a difference. I didn't succeed that time because I wasn't quite in the right place, but nevertheless your support brought me back to try again and this time I am succeeding.

18 minutes ago, jdash said:

I hesitate posting because I feel as if I might be a "debbie downer" here. I've stuck to the rules and I'm trying persevere but this is my first Whole30 and I am still struggling getting my energy levels up, I catch myself staring at my family members' food when we go to restaurants, and my joints hurt worse than ever... any advice?? 

However, I do have to admit that I'm a first year medical student and this is my hardest module to date...

Never feel bad for being honest. I'm not sure why you are experiencing low energy and painful joints, but I do know that I have read several posts on other forums where moderators have suggested limiting foods with FODMAPS... sorry I would like to link one of those discussions for you here, but cannot now locate them. Perhaps a mod might know more about this. I also imagine that the stress of school is having a big impact. 

As I mentioned above, I was unsuccessful with my previous attempt at Whole30, and I think the difference was not enough fat. It left me in a deprived state of mind, always missing everything I was avoiding. I didn't even try ghee that time. This time I've been rather liberal with the recommended fat sources and I'm feeling really good.

Hope you are able to get some good advice and see a change.

• Moderators
41 minutes ago, michelle123 said:

Thank you Sugarcube:D I actually tried a Whole30 once before but failed. I was registered here under a different username and I made a new account this time because I was embarrassed that I didn't make it the last time. However, I remember you and you were very supportive then and your support meant a lot to me then. I know I am going to do it this time. Just wanted to let you know that the work you moderators do makes a difference. I didn't succeed that time because I wasn't quite in the right place, but nevertheless your support brought me back to try again and this time I am succeeding.

Wonderful!  Welcome back and I"m so glad you find this community supportive and welcoming! You'll do great and as always, if you need help, we're here for you!

• Moderators
49 minutes ago, jdash said:

No such thing as a debbie downer here... just people trying their best and if you need help, that's what we're here for.

It sounds to me from the little you've said that you're probably not eating enough.  Low energy levels and longful stares at non compliant food are often indicators that you're not eating enough.   Joints could be from dehydration so lets start with the basics.

Please list out what you've been eating with quantities, specific veggies, protein and fat and meal timing.  Also water intake (which should be 1/2oz per pound of bodyweight so an indication if you're near that would be good... you don't have to put your exact weight on here).

Lets start there and see if we can't get things going in the right direction for you.

29 minutes ago, SugarcubeOD said:

No such thing as a debbie downer here... just people trying their best and if you need help, that's what we're here for.

It sounds to me from the little you've said that you're probably not eating enough.  Low energy levels and longful stares at non compliant food are often indicators that you're not eating enough.   Joints could be from dehydration so lets start with the basics.

Please list out what you've been eating with quantities, specific veggies, protein and fat and meal timing.  Also water intake (which should be 1/2oz per pound of bodyweight so an indication if you're near that would be good... you don't have to put your exact weight on here).

Lets start there and see if we can't get things going in the right direction for you.

Ok, so my breakfasts (8:30) are normally omelets (two eggs, spinach, tomatoes) with 1.5ish cups of fruit (mango, apple, peaches, berries). I usually reach for the fruit around 11. 

(1 pm) Lunches have been an apple, spinach with turkey meat, warm up some sweet potatoes. (4pm) I reach for a thunderbird bar/ lara bar/ I keep going back to my stash of cashews/ walnuts. 

(7 pm) Dinner is something like a big helping of stew with sweet potatoes, steak, carrots, etc/ chili/ order grilled fish when I'm with my family. 

I bought a ton of those thunderbird bars but I'm beginning to abuse them, as they're becoming a bit of an indulgence. I drink about 2 evian liter bottles per day- I always have one with me. 

• Moderators

Have you seen the meal template?  You really don't want fruit pushing veggies off your plate so that 1.5 cups of fruit should be replaced by veggies and then if you're still hungry, a fist sized serving of fruit is fine.  I'm unclear on the timing but it sounds like your breakfast stretches out about 2.5 hours? What time do you get up? Are you eating within an hour of waking? Also, eggs as your sole source of protein are as many as you can hold in one hand without dropping... that's 3-4 to start for most people... if you don't want to eat that many eggs, try adding some other type of protein to the eggs.

Sorry for the tough love here but ditch the lara/thunderbird bars.  They're not helping... 

I don't see a lot of added fat to your meals?  I do see snacking on nuts and that's not recommended. Nuts are not a great fat source and they can be food without brakes for a lot of people, not to mention they can really upset your stomach.

From what I can see here, in order to get that energy up and avoid the longing looks at non compliant food (and the struggle to not eat it), you need to familiarize yourself with the template and then make 3 meals a day match... in the interim while you're getting your meals dialed in to last you 4-5 hours, if necessary, you can have a mini meal of protein and fat and ideally veggies but then make sure you're adjusting your subsequent meals so that you can avoid snacking in the future.

12 hours ago, michelle123 said:

Here I am, the weekend is over, and I'm still compliant!  *Happy dance* (...)  I am so buoyed by this victory, that I am convinced now that I will make it rest of the 30 days. Not only that, but I'll probably keep going, because I truly am starting to feel a sense of freedom for the first time in about 22 years.

It's kind of hard to explain but definitely something new. I'm not thinking about food all the time, I'm not trying to fight the desire to give up and eat "bad" things, I just feel rather peaceful about it all and really, think about food much less than ever before.

@michelle123 , thank you for sharing!!  That is awesome.  High fives to you on all your successes! 

On 1/14/2017 at 8:16 PM, stravajunkie said:

Hey guys/gals! Higs asked how everyone is doing. I have been chewing  (SORRY! Couldn't resist the pun :) ) on this....we have had a lot of life chaos lately and I've been straying far from template eating-lots of dried fruit and nuts, not enough water and too much munching between meals. Tomorrow is day 17 for me, so a little over half way. I think I really, really, want to finish this thing strong. I am not experiencing great energy, because of poor eating and because of raw lack of sleep. I do have a goal to lose a bit of weight on this round, because I've gained a bit due to poor habits (eating for every reason under the sun other than hunger). But my primary goal is the habits themselves, because the weight will take care of itself with good eating. So by continuing my habits of munching, eating between, eating past full, etc. I am really shooting myself in the foot and sabotaging the main reason I'm doing this....sorry for the introspection, but typing this out helps me organize my thoughts. 100% template and 0% between meals = my 2nd half goal.

@stravajunkie, you got this.  Go for the template!  Good luck and finish strong!

Hey everyone!  Day 24 here.  The finishing stretch!  I am in sort of a doldrums phase where I'm starting to get cravings just because I'm getting bored.  Been here before -- I'm reminding myself to stay the course.  So I'm thinking about the "NSVs" (non scale victories) I've had so far:

• Sleep like a rock, most nights 8 hours
  • Better mood
  • Increased energy
  • No more late afternoon slumps
  • Night sweats and hot flashes are gone
  • Generally more motivated to do stuff
  • Immune system great:  I haven't gotten the cold going around

This doldrum phase for me usually just lasts a few days, and then I'll get past it and re-motivated.  Eyes on the prize, gang!  I'm trying to change gears to think about my strategy for this time next week when the official 30 days are done.

So how are you all?  Hanging in there?  Excited to finish, or thinking about continuing on in some way?  What are you discovering?

Hope everyone's doing great!

Day 26.  Last night I really really really wanted a glass of wine, and tonight I know I'm going to be wanting something stronger than that.  I'm trying to strategize getting through an intense period of time while maintaining my Whole30.  I think that's going to be mean a long walk after work tonight, and doing something active and distracting.  And maybe some yoga.

How do you all get through the times when you want to throw in the towel?

On January 20, 2017 at 7:07 AM, higs said:

How do you all get through the times when you want to throw in the towel?

My old escape was magazines and Haagan Dazs ice cream. :( I'm really fortunate that during my Whole30 so far, I've had normal days and nothing unusually stressful going on, so I haven't been too tempted, but I've been wondering about that. What worked about it I suppose was just that little indulgence, spending a little money on something frivolous or going for the expensive ice cream as a way to reward myself for enduring whatever the stressor had been. The guilty pleasure aspect. How did you achieve the mind shift to "I'm going to reward myself with a nice long walk" @higs? Cuz I'm still at that "sigh... I SHOULD go walk..." stage...

I've decided to continue on with a second Whole30 but to incorporate exercise with my second go-round, so I'm hoping to achieve an enjoyment of exercise the same way that I've managed to now come to enjoy vegetables and to view them as a nice thing to do for oneself.

PS. I have learned that coconut/chia pudding topped with raspberries, while lovely sounding, is NOT my way to enjoy a nice Whole30 dessert. Gave it a try, just wanting to change up the same old meals... I guess I didn't soak them long enough? Whoa... my stomach did NOT like that and I won't be trying that again any time soon.

Hey guys! Who's still alive on the forum here? Today is day 29 for me. I'm contemplating a second go 'round as I'm not happy with my progress on not eating between/template meals...higs I missed your question but what I TRY to do in those circumstances is to ask myself "which one of the millions of enjoyable non food things or activities available to someone in the first world would I enjoy instead of munching which will amke me miserable?" When I remember it's super helpful :)

Archived