Commiting to a December 26th Start Date

jenrunsaustin

Morning all!  How's everyone doing?

@CCLaymon, welcome, join us!  Gang, CC is a positive ray of sunshine.  I'd share a forum group with her anytime!

@Patferman, welcome to you too!  Sadly I don't speak Portuguese either.  You might also try starting a new post on the main "Join the Whole30" thread where more people will see it.  But stay here with us, too!  Your English is great!

@jenrunsaustin, you definitely shouldn't be feeling hungry.  Have you checked out the resource guide that outlines portion guidelines?  Since you're also an endurance athlete, you'll want even more.  For breakfast, I eat dinner type food.  Right now for instance I'm having roasted Brussels sprouts, mashed cauliflower, a compliant sausage and 1/2 avocado.  It will keep me full for 5-6 hours.

@access2003, congrats on the ketchup!  I may try mayonnaise this round.  In all my W30's, I have never once made mayo.  It seems like a rite of passage in the W30 community so perhaps I'll try it this time.

Things are going pretty well here after a couple days of sluggishness and a headache for most of yesterday.  Last night I slept about 9 hours and woke up feeling pretty refreshed!  There is a stunning sunrise right now and it feels like it's going to be a good day.  I embrace it!

Happy Day 4, all.

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Moderators
8 hours ago, access2003 said:

Working on Day 3 now and I notice two things right off the bat...  I really do miss sweetener in my coffee, and I get cravings at night now like crazy..  But on the positive note, I did make homemade ketchup last night; because ketchup is important..  lol...  Didn't turn out exactly the way I wanted it to but for a 1st try , it will do nicely..  Going to into New Years Eve, etc, I'm motivated to push though the weekend.    I need to go out and learn how to eat at a restaurant or two this weekend..    Happy New Year everyone!!

When you get the cravings at night, stop and think about them. Would you eat something bland -- the usual test is plain steamed fish and broccoli? If you'd eat something bland, you're probably actually hungry and it's okay to eat a little bit, plus you might look at your meals and see if they're really big enough or if you might need to eat a little more throughout the day. If you're definitely not hungry -- you wouldn't eat something bland, but you'd happily eat something sweet or salty or whatever, it might be habit, if you tended to always snack at night. It might be good to work on changing those habits. For instance, if you are craving food because you'd usually sit down in front of the tv with a snack before, you could replace the snack with a cup of tea, or you could change the habit completely and choose to work on a hobby, do some meditation or stretching, clean or organize something around the house, or read a book, just so that you're not sitting there watching tv, missing a snack.

• Moderators
1 minute ago, Patferman said:

day 4...... and my pants don´t fit..........

this will go over........

It'll be okay, really -- it's pretty normal to go through some bloating early on in the process. Here's a timeline that might help you know what to expect throughout the month (note that it was meant as a bit of fun, but it's pretty accurate for many people).

@higs I have made more than my share of mayo on the Whole 30!  Here is the my favorite to date, best tasting and easiest to make in my personal opinion:

Best Ever Homemade Mayo  Just to state the obvious, I use olive oil and not vegetable oil.

How is everyone doing with the idea of New Year's Eve? In one of the other forums Jessica NG is putting together a little Whole30 buffet for the family. I love that idea and I'm going work on a list with my husband tonight! We don't have plan to go out, so that's enough of a celebration for me :D 

Here's to a great day 5 for all, and make sure to plan plenty of nap time this weekend!

Day 4 in the books, it went really well.  Did not feel bad and was able to do my 5 mile run and I also walked 2 miles.  Can I just tell you sausage and guacamole for dinner without guilt is like heaven!

Woke up this morning very groggy.  I do notice that caffeine in my coffee makes a difference now (for the good) probably since I am not having the sugar ups and downs.

I am concerned about this weekend.  I can deal with the special occasions, but it is having time alone at home that is hard and I will have 3 1/2 days.  I am organizing some recipes to cook.  I also am making a list of projects I want to do - not physically hard more like going thru closets, etc - clean out my outter environment while I am cleaning out my inners.  I plan on seeing a movie or two. Naps are on the list.  Any suggestions of not obsessing about food when you are bored or lonely?

I have a 14 mile long run Saturday morning, but I am going to go with a slower group and have looked at the route for places to cut it short if I am not feeling it.  Decided to go with sweet potatoes (or white) hash with some left over protein from what ever I cook tonight for pre run and then cut up a lara bar for the run and then have some chicken and sweet potato in my car for after.  I will still go to breakfast as it is my social thing each week, but will just get coffee. - Mentally preparation of visualizing a race really helps me so hopefully mental visualization of my eating plan will help as well.

On 12/27/2016 at 7:35 AM, higs said:

Morning all!

Great reminder, @stravajunkie.  I always find the timeline super helpful.  For me, I know that the first 3-4 days are tough with fatigue, foggy headed-ness and caffeine withdrawal headaches (I personally quit coffee on a Whole30 - not that it's required but I feel much better without it).  Then the fantastic sleep kicks in, and things go up from there.

My arrrrgh moment:  I had requested to my partner to go easy on the chocolate in my Christmas stocking - but he couldn't help himself.  So now there is an enormous bowl of chocolates sitting on the dining room table.  Including good, fancy chocolate.  It is all going to have to end up in a box stashed away somewhere until I give it away or throw it out.  So sad!  Sorry, chocolate!

Another Whole30 tip:  embrace the weekly cook up!  It is a lifesaver for me.  I spend at least a couple hours on the weekend prepping for the week ahead.  And I make double batches of meals that freeze well (chocolate chili!) to have some emergency meals on hand.

Hope all are doing well!

Thank you, @stravajunkie. I am observing how much mental energy is going into coffee and creamer and "how will I survive?" so I am going to give quitting coffee my millionth try. That mindset of thinking SO much about food/things, is that psyche part of this and I believe I'm afraid of leaving behind something so beloved to me. I'd put money that I have adrenal fatigue and that my muscles aren't recovering as fast--due to years of not being clean, and then being a massive sugar and coffee (with cream and sugar ;) addict. So, thanks for the inspo. This does also ping my brain to perhaps put a ton of focus and visualization around the "why," and muscle recovery and healing being a root motivator. I tend to forget my motivators the second I wake up and want the Joe. :)

1 hour ago, whole30_patricia said:

Thank you, @stravajunkie. I am observing how much mental energy is going into coffee and creamer and "how will I survive?" so I am going to give quitting coffee my millionth try. That mindset of thinking SO much about food/things, is that psyche part of this and I believe I'm afraid of leaving behind something so beloved to me. I'd put money that I have adrenal fatigue and that my muscles aren't recovering as fast--due to years of not being clean, and then being a massive sugar and coffee (with cream and sugar ;) addict. So, thanks for the inspo. This does also ping my brain to perhaps put a ton of focus and visualization around the "why," and muscle recovery and healing being a root motivator. I tend to forget my motivators the second I wake up and want the Joe. :)

For me quitting coffee is the hardest part of the Whole30, and it's not even part of the Whole30!  :lol:  For me, it just needs to be part of the program.  It is definitely addictive for me so it's gotta go.

Day 5:  the headaches, foggy headedness and fatigue are gone, and I woke up yesterday in a GOOD MOOD!!!  that carried on to today!  Hallelujah!  I have been depressed, sad and irritable for several months and for a bunch of different reasons -- because I can't run due to injury and don't have that self-care outlet, because hormones, because the state of the country, because my personal life is challenging, blah blah pity party blah -- and I'm trying to back on track and really focus on self care and taking back some control of how I feel.  Yesterday, I was up to see a stunning sunrise, and I drove to work singing.  It was a beautiful morning, and I noticed - "hey!  I feel good!"

That in and of itself is so motivational.

@jenrunsaustin, have a great 14 miler!  I think your strategy is a good one.  When I was doing long runs I'd also have sweet potatoes for dinner the night before.  Also: and @CCLaymon can attest to this:  in our W30 group from way back when, our group leader Dave used to assign us all chores.  I was thinking about him today when I set a goal for myself to clean the clutter from our dining room, which has become the dumping ground for everything and anything.  It is out of control!  So this weekend the room is going to emptied out, dusted, wiped down, and made spic and span for the New Year.  I spend a lot of time at the dining room table on my laptop and it is psychically stressful to be surrounded by so much clutter.  So, purge!  I will join you on decluttering through this Whole30. It does go nicely with the territory!

Onwards!

@CCLaymon, I am borrowing the New Year's buffet idea too.  I know for sure I'm going to make asparagus wrapped in prosciutto and drizzled with balsamic.  Probably I'll make a fruit salad with some pomegranate seeds and kiwis.  I haven't decided what else to make.  What are you going to do?

So someone help me because I have friends asking and other than the obvious, wondering if there's something else.  Its related to sugar..  I understand the whole "sugar dragon" thing but other than its pure, unrefined and unprocessed, why is all the sugar in fruits ok if the W30 is built to basically eliminate it.  Is there another reason?  I didn't look that hard yet but I couldn't find it in the book either.  Anyway , day 5 for me and going strong...  I can actually say I actually notice less knee pain already during those first few steps it takes this old guy to get going ..  Happy New Year everyone!!

14 minutes ago, access2003 said:

So someone help me because I have friends asking and other than the obvious, wondering if there's something else.  Its related to sugar..  I understand the whole "sugar dragon" thing but other than its pure, unrefined and unprocessed, why is all the sugar in fruits ok if the W30 is built to basically eliminate it.  Is there another reason?  I didn't look that hard yet but I couldn't find it in the book either.  Anyway , day 5 for me and going strong...  I can actually say I actually notice less knee pain already during those first few steps it takes this old guy to get going ..  Happy New Year everyone!!

@access2003 , someone else had the same question.  Check out this thread:

Congrats on Day 5 and your improvement in knee pain!  That is awesome!

Day 5 done - Generally ok, but probably a little too much grazing in the afternoon at home, I should have just stopped and had a decent snack.

Did 15 miles this am and it went pretty good.  The lara bar (dried cherries, dates and almonds) worked ok but it was different getting slower energy intake compared to a gel.  My body was tired around mile 10 and my mind started to whine, but did some talking to myself to buck up and the last 5 ended up going pretty well.  Recovery breakfast was reheated sweet potato hash with onion and bacon in it with a couple of fried eggs and some avocado - yummy.

Happy New Years Eve!

Oops. That posted before I was ready. I am definitely feeling lower physical energy right now, in terms of riding. Glad I'm not doing anything too aggressive. For me personally I know I need to stay away from lots of fruit/nuts or I will not get past cravings AND I will not make progress on teachering my body to use fat for energy. I am trying to set realistic goals for this evening  (big party)...we will make some bbq'd tri tip and lots of veggies...the thing I have realized is nothing "replaces " surgery treats for me. I won't get the same high from dried fruit, nuts, etc...I have to change my mind set to see the "treat" is the COMPANY -not the food. I'm really a massive introvert, so also have to respect my own limits and remember it's not my job to make everyone have a great time-just to provide the opportunity, then be at peace. Happy early new year everyone!

Hi there, I hope it's ok if I join you guys. I started December 28, and four days in, I am feeling really positive and excited about this endeavour. So far I'm noticing a lack of hunger or thoughts about food between meals which is really freeing. Other than some headaches I am feeling good and I think I'm sleeping better already, too. I'm looking for some community support/ accountability as my husband and kids aren't on board. My other concern is that I'm currently on vacation (a staycation) so it's been really easy to take the time to read up on stuff, look up recipes, shop and cook. I'm a little worried that when I return to work next Tuesday it will be much more difficult to stay on track.  My reason for doing this is that I've recently had that moment of a shocking reality check where I realized I've managed to slowly gain 25 pounds over the past 10 years. I've become very sedentary and my eating habits have been poor. I'm turning 40 this summer, and really not wanting to be like this when I face that milestone. So, my goal is not so much weight loss within this 30 days but more to turn around many bad habits and set myself up for continuing positive changes over the next six months or so, ultimately leading to a significant weight loss by my 40th birthday- as well as significant and permanent changes to my overall lifestyle and outlook.

I look forward to getting to know all of you and I wish you great success in your Whole 30 efforts!:D

On 12/25/2016 at 4:01 PM, higs said:

@jenrunsaustin I am starting Dec 26 as well.  And I'm an aspiring trail runner - but I'm not running at all right now due to @#$!#@$ plantar fasciitis.  I have tried doing Whole30's while training before.  Be prepared to feel really sluggish for a couple weeks!  By starting now you should be over the worst of the hump for the race.  Run it for fun!

Now to find some time today to do a big veggie lookup in between the holiday festivities...

I have had plantar fasciitis, too, for the past six months and it is really frustrating.  I'm starting the January 30 tomorrow. 

Happy New Year everyone!  I began on 12/26 myself.  No time like the present!  I decided not to wait for the New Year.  Sick and tired of feeling sick and tired.  I have Lyme disease and it affected my heart, so I am on antibiotics, herbal stuff, and my heart rate is now under control with beta blockers.  Good grief!  I'm trying to get a handle on this joint pain and decided a reset was indicated.  So far so good.  I sprung for real plans and am loving it!  I'm 60, and have been menu planning g for 40+ years.  What a delight to have that done for me.  I love to cook and can and garden, so eating healthy once I make up my mind comes easily for me.

14 hours ago, jenrunsaustin said:

ugg I am going to have to throw out the remaining 1/4 jar of almond butter - thought I could have it on hand and only have it as a planned snack - Nope.

Save it to make Well Fed Pad Thai.

Happy New Year, gang!  I had my first verboten food dream last night - does anyone else get those?  I won't go into detail but let's just say it was very sugar-laden and probably had some dairy too.  I was startled when I realized what I'd done (I'll have to start over!!) then relieved to figure out it was just a dream.  :lol:

@michelle123, welcome!  Have you read about the weekly cook up yet?  It is life saver for me.  I spend a couple hours on Sundays cooking and prepare a lot of the meals for the week ahead of time.  Then after work I can just zap a meal in the microwave.  I love to cook but don't like to do it after a long work day when I'm hungry.  Here's one version:  http://meljoulwan.com/2010/01/14/paleo-kitchen-the-method-behind-my-madness/

@drtracyb, hi stranger!  Nice to see you here!  Ugh, PF is the worst.  I hope you are on the mend quickly!

stravajunkie, how did the party go?  I am also a total introvert and a party without a little booze would be difficult for me.  For my NYE, I did basically nothing except cook up a bunch of food, watched Anderson Cooper and Kathi Griffin with my partner, and was in bed by 10:30!

Day 6 and I think I"m a W30 shopping junkie already..  lol....  I'm buying stuff I would have not even thought to buy or things that I haven't had since I was a kid..  I bought whole coconut!!  I'm making my own cocktail sauce for shrimp, my own ketchup for, well you know ketchup goes on everything!   I'm starting to mix fruit with the meal than eat fruit as a snack..  I read somewhere it helps with the absorption of the simple sugars in the fruit....  ( thanks @ContikiCarrie !)   I also can't believe I haven't had a chip, dip , cheese, or any junk food in about a week.  It was never going to be that hard for me to give up the alcohol for a month...  but the snacks!  Feeling really proud of myself right now...  On to Week 2!!!!   How's everyone doing so far??????

I'm commenting just so I can follow your posts.  My husband and I were finishing up our first Whole30 just as this group was starting.  We are planning to continue eating Whole30-ish.  

Higs mentioned that I might come check out your group as there are endurance athletes here.  I'm intested in getting my distance back up.  While training for a Half-Ironman, I put on 8 pounds (no, it wasn't muscle).  I'd like to figure out how to eat to support the longer workouts that I like to do, but without the accompanying weight gain - which inevitably sets me back.  Weight has been an issue my whole life, despite being fairly physically active.

I had a four hour swim that I was building to at the end of December, but I didn't make it.  I had done a 3 hour swim two weeks prior and been just fine, but that was about 2 weeks into the program.  I only made it 3/4 as far as that one - during the one that was supposed to be the actual swim, and my paces were incredibly slow for me.  I ended up losing a significant amount of weight during the 30 days, so I think the drain in energy on my body was just too much to handle.  It was very hard for me emotionally, and I stubbornly went another 40 minutes or so after I should have quit.  My coaches were watching me from the start and were surprised that I made it as far as I did.  So for me at this point, I really can't do any of the endurance workouts I like.  I will need to keep everything to 1-1/2 hours at most for a while, and probably closer to 45-60 minutes.  

My husband loves to cook.  I like planning out the food and thinking about the why's, but he gets excited about the execution and the methods in a way that I just can't.  

Archived