Commiting to a December 26th Start Date

jenrunsaustin

15 hours ago, amber.marks said:

Egg free?!?!  I'd starve :o

So would I. I think it might be much easier to eliminate eggs after completing a whole30 and adding back in the some of the foods that you do tolerate. 

The meatballs were really good, I used the food processor to finely chop onions and mushrooms, 2 lbs of good quality ground beef, 1/2 lb ground pork, egg, seasonings. Cooked in a small amount of olive oil. Made about 40, stashed the reminder in the freezer. They were actually the first whole30 dinner that included an egg. Have eaten so many eggs for breakfast. 

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Day 9 done, no real issues, I need to come up with a pre workout snack - hard boiled egg did not go over well.

I found a great Italian Sausage both spicy and mild by Mulay's.  Broke it up into large chunks and sauted adding a lot of red peppers, Onions, mushrooms, I would have added spinach but didn't think about it until afterwards.

Day 10 for me tomorrow.  Im even surprising myself!   In the morning when id usually just make a cylindar of coffee and fly, im actually frying eggs and ham, and taking it into work for bfast.   Or cracking an egg into some hashbrowns.  Im actually having fun so far and actually eating quite a bit.  And you havent tried a tbsp of truffle oil and garlic in your hashbrowns,  id highly recommend it.  

6 hours ago, JaneEyre said:

So would I. I think it might be much easier to eliminate eggs after completing a whole30 and adding back in the some of the foods that you do tolerate. 

The meatballs were really good, I used the food processor to finely chop onions and mushrooms, 2 lbs of good quality ground beef, 1/2 lb ground pork, egg, seasonings. Cooked in a small amount of olive oil. Made about 40, stashed the reminder in the freezer. They were actually the first whole30 dinner that included an egg. Have eaten so many eggs for breakfast. 

I was looking for dinner inspiration for next week; I might have to try those meatballs.  My family is eating what I am, but they get the 'extras' like pasta, rice, cheese, etc., so I can easily make this for a compliant and regular meal.

And I really thought I'd be sick of eggs by now, but I actually like them even more now than I did before I started :D  

11 hours ago, higs said:

I had another food dream - this time I was halfway through a latte and realized I'd just blown my Whole30. 

I read on the timeline that this was common. Thought it wouldn't happen to me because I don't dream much. Last night I dreamt I was eating an entire chocolate cake! It was so decadent that it was like a giant brownie. I wasn't guilty at all, but quite full of glee actually.

Even with my poor eating habits before, chocolate cake wouldn't have been something I'd normally eat at all! So funny.

I'm feeling good too! I tried a Whole30 once before and struggled the whole time and ultimately failed. This time it feels great! I think it's partly the right headspace this time and partly I'm much more aware of the need for fat. I don't even get hungry between meals, just kind of eat when meal time rolls around. Only day 8 though so it might get harder.

Day 10 done - did fine

Day 11 I think it is going to be a hard one.  I feel really cranky.  I have left over dinner which was sweet potato hash with bacon and egg (plus veggies on side) for both breakfast and lunch today because I didn't have time to cook anything else.  Not thrilled about that.  Allergies are kicking my butt.  Live in Austin and we get Cedar Fever (actually allergy from the Ash Juniper tree) and you feel miserable for about a month.  I do take medication for it, but it only help so much.  Of course running the green belt probably does not help, but if I didn't, mentally I would be a whole lot worse.

I just want to go back home and go to bed.

Has any one use an Instant Pot?  basically it looks like a combo slow cooker and pressure cooker?  Michelle Tam of Nom Nom paleo uses it a lot and highly recommends it.  I have a slow cooker so would mostly be using it for the pressure cooking.  She is doing a whole30 in January so has lots of recipes.

7 hours ago, jenrunsaustin said:

Has any one use an Instant Pot?  basically it looks like a combo slow cooker and pressure cooker?  Michelle Tam of Nom Nom paleo uses it a lot and highly recommends it.  I have a slow cooker so would mostly be using it for the pressure cooking.  She is doing a whole30 in January so has lots of recipes.

I don't have an instant pot but I am very curious. I have never had much success with crock pot cooking. I do have a couple of crock pot recipes that I like but most of the time I prefer the results from my stove/oven. 

Day 10 and I have to day I'm feeling and doing really good!   I made a filet and roasted Brussel Sprouts for dinner.. where has this been???  I'm thinking really nothing of it.  Going out for dinner with a friend tomorrow.. we'll see how that goes.  I haven't done much of that since starting this.  I hope everyone is going strong!!! 

Day 12 here.  I've gotten some good workouts in this week but allowed myself to sleep in a bit today for more snuggle time before heading out into 15 degree weather (unusually cold for my neck of the woods).  This weather is making me crave all kinds of soups and stews, so tomorrow I'm cooking up a big ol' batch of bone broth again - it doesn't last long around here! - and then pick a couple types of soup or stew to do in big batches and freeze.  And curry sounds really good right now so that will be on the docket too.

How's everyone feeling?  Going strong here.  It feels like my body recognizes when I'm on a Whole30 now and quickly adapts to feeling really good, as if to say, "NOW do you get it?  This is way better!"

Day 11 done held onto it, but mostly by not eating a lot rather than eating off program.

Day 12 today out for lunch had a omelette so ok, but still not eating enough.  I am planning on cooking more this weekend so I will have lunches ready to grab and go.  I feel ok, but no major differences.  I was hoping it would be more black and white, but I will continue and make sure I eat enough etc.  

10 hours ago, higs said:

Day 12 here.  I've gotten some good workouts in this week but allowed myself to sleep in a bit today for more snuggle time before heading out into 15 degree weather (unusually cold for my neck of the woods).  This weather is making me crave all kinds of soups and stews, so tomorrow I'm cooking up a big ol' batch of bone broth again - it doesn't last long around here! - and then pick a couple types of soup or stew to do in big batches and freeze.  And curry sounds really good right now so that will be on the docket too.

How's everyone feeling?  Going strong here.  It feels like my body recognizes when I'm on a Whole30 now and quickly adapts to feeling really good, as if to say, "NOW do you get it?  This is way better!"

Going strong here too..   I'm even eating at the kitchen table now instead of taking a dish in front of the TV.  I'm feeling really good.  Not sluggish anymore and really feeling refreshed in the morning.  Its amazing I notice I had to have been on some kind of sugar crash every night before the last two weeks.  On to the next two weeks!!!

Keep at it, @jenrunsaustin.  It will come!  It sounds like you had a couple harder days but you got through it.  Have you worked out the pre- and post workout meals?

We are bracing for freezing rain in my neck of the woods (some major storms all over the place, yeesh!).  Freezing rain usually means we lose power, so I'm trying to work out what to eat when we have no electricity...  Probably lots of hard cooked eggs in my future, and cold roasted chicken, stuff like that.  I was going to make a giant batch of bone broth today but I'm too worried about losing power midway through, so I'll hold off until the storm is past.

We're almost 2 weeks in!  Nearing the halfway point, gang!

Day 12 done, made it - about all I can say.  Thanks @higs for the encouragement

Today started much better Had a great 10 mile run in a glorious sunny day 20 degree at start which for us in Austin, TX is the equivalent of 0 for you Northerners (I did grow up in Illinois and spend 15 years in Colorado so yes, I do know 20 is really not that cold).  Had potatoes before the run and a little bit of banana during which worked fine for 10, I will need to bring some more food for next week's 30k (18.6 miles) in Big Bend.  This trip also involves camping so it should be interesting.

Any body have any great ideas to bring for camping?

I did get any instant pot which is what I used to pressure cook my potatoes then browned them up in my cast iron pan with Ghee - wonderful.  I just cooked hard boiled eggs and hoping I get a batch that peel easily and I got ingredients to cook Bo Kho a Vietnamese beef stew.  All recipes were from Nom Nom Paleo.  Hopefully last weeks issues were from not having stuff cooked or planned.

Frustrated.  Fighting the urge to quit.  I have been on antibiotics for 3 months now, and it has only gotten worse since I began my Whole30.  Day 13 is over.  My digestive problem came to a head in the wee hours this morning.  I quit the antibiotics for my Lyme infection this morning.  I'll have to call my doc on Monday.  I'm hoping there is a less caustic way to kick Lyme.  I was hoping dietary changes would help me feel better, but so far I'm worse.  This may not be the best time for a whole30 is what I'm thinking.  Ugh.

1 hour ago, pickle14 said:

Frustrated.  Fighting the urge to quit.  I have been on antibiotics for 3 months now, and it has only gotten worse since I began my Whole30.  Day 13 is over.  My digestive problem came to a head in the wee hours this morning.  I quit the antibiotics for my Lyme infection this morning.  I'll have to call my doc on Monday.  I'm hoping there is a less caustic way to kick Lyme.  I was hoping dietary changes would help me feel better, but so far I'm worse.  This may not be the best time for a whole30 is what I'm thinking.  Ugh.

That does indeed seem like a long time to be on antibiotics. re: staying Whole30, take heart in the fact that eating sugar, soy, dairy, etc. won't help cure you more than Whole30 foods.

Yes, that is certainly true!  Thanks for the encouragement.  Yesterday was a low for me.  I wanted apiece of my gluten free bread to soak up acid in the worst way!   I am tired of being sick and tired, and I need to continue to measure progress.  There has been lots of progress in the last 3 months.  Getting rid of sugar and wheat and dairy is always a good thing for me.  I haven't done soy for many years.  I think that I need to pursue herbal remedies at this point.  Lyme is very difficult to cure.  Once it invades the heart muscle it has invaded many other muscles as well, which is the reason I agreed to long term antibiotics in the first place.    Some folks are on them for a year or two!

Enough of the self pity!  On to Day 14!

Well, just about two weeks in and half way!!  Football playoffs and food kind go together and since my Packers are on the docket today, I found this finger food snack that I'm going to try today for the games..  I'm not a huge sweet potato fan but if we're going to combine it with avocado, I'm probably in..  Just take the cheese out of this and its all compliant stuff!!  Two weeks everyone. We can all do this!!  I'm really feeling good.  I'm trying my best to not hop on the scale this week, because I can feel I've lost some already, but then again, the weight piece is just positive byproduct of a month's worth of clean eating, resetting, and noooooo sugar.  Here's the link for that that appetizer, and GO PACKERS...  http://www.theroastedroot.net/roasted-sweet-potato-rounds-with-guacamole-and-bacon/

Hey guys (and gals) I realized I haven't posted anything since New Years...it's been a bit crazy. Made it through the New Year's party, but I am here to say that you can totally get a food hangover from 'compliant' foods when you eat way too much, and of all the wrong stuff (nuts, dried fruit, very fatty meat, more nuts and dried fruit, and so on...) It was a good reminder to me that you can't game this program. 24 hours later I felt human again. My goal going forward (day 10 for me I believe) is to really focus on template meals, and not eating between meals. W30 always makes me face just how strongly attached I am to food as way to take care of problems in life. (board? eat. Tired? eat. Stressed? eat. Worried? eat. etc...) I am really focusing on letting go of negative emotions on the one hand, and actually addressing problems ( that are within my control) on the other. Growing up emotionally. Savoring life with food as (tasty and wonderful) fuel, but not as the POINT of the event/day/celebration....Workout wise I am still feeling very tired and not much zap, which is ok for now because it IS zero here and you can only ride a bike for so long in that weather! So-slow and easy and reminding myself not to freak out, strength will come as I re adapt to using all my pesky fat stores for fuel...

2 hours ago, pickle14 said:

Yes, that is certainly true!  Thanks for the encouragement.  Yesterday was a low for me.  I wanted apiece of my gluten free bread to soak up acid in the worst way!   I am tired of being sick and tired, and I need to continue to measure progress.  There has been lots of progress in the last 3 months.  Getting rid of sugar and wheat and dairy is always a good thing for me.  I haven't done soy for many years.  I think that I need to pursue herbal remedies at this point.  Lyme is very difficult to cure.  Once it invades the heart muscle it has invaded many other muscles as well, which is the reason I agreed to long term antibiotics in the first place.    Some folks are on them for a year or two!

Enough of the self pity!  On to Day 14!

Way to be tough pickle14. You are an inspiration. 

15 hours ago, pickle14 said:

What you are going through is TOUGH, Alison - and you sound like one tough cookie.  Ditto what stravajunkie said:  you are inspiring!

Archived