Snacking and Caloric Intake

40isthenew30

I'm very new to the program.  I'm wondering if there is a daily caloric intake I should follow.  If I'm a member of Real Plan and want to make sure I don't go over the amount of food I'm supposed to eat daily.  

Questions:

- Can I snack? 

- How much can I snack?

- Are there a certain number of calories per day?

Hi 40! I'm new to this too! In my research leading up to doing a Whole30, one of the key points they talk about is specifically not counting calories during the Whole30. The program is about changing your relationship with food and your attitude towards eating- it's about making a lifestyle change instead of specifically going on a "diet" for a set amount of time. 

With regards to snacking specifically, what I've read says that since part of Whole 30 is re-evaluating your relationship with eating food they encourage you to evaluate why you want to snack in the first place- is it to fulfill a craving? Is it because you've conditioned your brain to want a snack at the same time every day? Is it because your meals are too small and don't tide you over until the next meal?

If you haven't already, I highly highly highly encourage you to read the book "The Whole30: The 30-Day Guide to Total Health and Food Freedom". I think it's the second book in the Whole30 series? It talks in detail about how to go about doing the plan and your goals during and after! If you've already got it, go back and check in it for the specific sections on snacking, as that's where I'm getting my info from :) 

Snacking is highly discouraged but not forbidden. Ideally your meals should be keeping you full for 4-5 hours. If you do need to snack, try to make it a mini-meal with at least 2 but preferably 3 of the macro nutrients. (Like handful of nuts: poor choice, hard boiled egg and an Apple: slightly better, couple bites of chicken, some olives , and some carrots: even better.) However, from the http://whole30.com/2015/01/rules-recommendations/

No snacking

As we explain in detail in It Starts With Food, eating three meals each day with minimal snacking (except pre- and post-workout meals) helps to keep your hormones in a healthy rhythm and teaches you to focus on eating mindfully. However, it’s really okay if you find you have to eat between meals.  For folks who are used to eating six small meals, it might take some time to get used to eating just three big ones. For those who work really long days, you might find that four meals or three meals and a snack are in order. For kids and pregnant/nursing mothers, this recommendation goes right out the window; snack away (just make sure you’re leaving about 3 hours between eating sessions, and not grazing all day). Sometimes, for no apparent reason, you just need a little something to get you through, and that’s okay too.  The success of your Whole30 likely isn’t riding on whether or not you have a mini-meal a few afternoons.

• Moderators

Try not to snack at all.  It may take a couple of days to adjust your meal size to the appropriate size where you can go 4-5 hours between meals. Also try to be aware of triggers that cause you to reach for food when you are not actually hungry. Hungry means stomach growling and/or hungry enough that you would eat something bland like steamed fish.

If you read the section on hormones in It Starts With Food, you'll learn that waiting longer between meals = fat burning. Pretty cool stuff.

Remember, do not count calories, do not step on that scale. You can do this!

Kirstin

@40isthenew30, don't track calories or macros during your Whole30! This can be just as problematic as weighing. 

Instead, focus on nourishing yourself with three template meals a day:

http://whole30.com/downloads/whole30-meal-planning.pdf

Doing so will help you balance your hormones, reestablish your natural hunger and satiety signals, and become fat adapted. 

• Moderators
12 minutes ago, 40isthenew30 said:

Thank you all...but isn't a fruit considered a snack?  I'm going to purchase the book and download the PDFs.  

Trying not to think too much but it's hard when I've done things like Weight Watchers and 21 Day Fix... :\

Fruit is, well, fruit. It could be a snack, but we'd recommend not eating it on its own. Having fruit by itself can cause a spike in blood sugar and can leave you craving something sweet. You never have to eat fruit, you can get the same nutrients from vegetables, but if you want fruit, just have it with your meal. 

Archived