Messed up

Bldst8mnt

I am on day 6 of my first whole 30. I went BY THE BOOK 110% everyday..or so I thought. I just realized my chicken broth (that I've used 32 oz of in the past 6 days) has cane sugar. I'm starting over Monday (going to eat almost compliant tomorrow but finish off the last of the soup made from noncompliant broth.) 

I don't have a question, I'm just so disappointed. I worked my butt off reading labels and still missed this. It's so discouraging. I also rechecked all my labels and found that my unsalted cashews have vegetable oil that contains soybean (SERIOUSLY?)

Just came on here to vent and declare that I can't trust my own reading skills to the world. 

Ya, it's tough out there, for sure. The ingredient thing is what I think people who malign Whole30's zero tolerance policy just don't understand.  Not only does eliminating the non-compliant ingredients allow for a physiological reset and reintroduction process that provides insight into previously misunderstood sensitivities, it opens our eyes to the fact that the food that surrounds us at every turn is soaked in these potentially damaging products!  And these labels go right up to the edge of what is legal, from tuna's ingredients list having "vegetable broth*" and then the asterisk reveals that this broth contains soy, to soda advertising that it's made from "real sugar" since they realized people were starting to backlash against HFCS, and so the real sugar soda is like a "healthier cigarette".

Being vigilant in label-reading can seem forced and nit-picky at first, but it becomes a life skill. And after a full Whole30 and a complete reintro, if a person finds that soy or carageenan or whatever doesn't cause them any undue concern, then it's easy to relax the hawk vision on watching out for that particular ingredient.

• Moderators

it opens our eyes to the fact that the food that surrounds us at every turn is soaked in these potentially damaging products!  

I think this was one of my biggest takeaways from my first Whole30... It was so shocking to me that if you can make the items (mayo, ranch, ketchup etc...) delicious, safe and easy at home, then the ONLY reason for putting these chemicals into our food is to make a profit off of the people who buy them... which turns my stomach in ways that dairy and bread never have!  It has made me a more conscientious consumer for sure!!  Some things now in my life after Whole30 get a pass (sugar in ketchup is a-ok) but when I come across a product that has sugar or chemicals in it for the sake of sugar or chemicals, it's automatically out... one such item... I found banana chips at Trader Joes.. Bananas being one of the highest glycemic index foods... with sugar added.  That floors me... dried bananas are already super concentrated flavor and super sweet and then they soak them in sugar? Never in a million years would I buy a product now in the category of 'sugar and chemicals for the sake of addiction or profit'. 

3 hours ago, Bldst8mnt said:

I am on day 6 of my first whole 30. I went BY THE BOOK 110% everyday..or so I thought. I just realized my chicken broth (that I've used 32 oz of in the past 6 days) has cane sugar. I'm starting over Monday (going to eat almost compliant tomorrow but finish off the last of the soup made from noncompliant broth.) 

I don't have a question, I'm just so disappointed. I worked my butt off reading labels and still missed this. It's so discouraging. I also rechecked all my labels and found that my unsalted cashews have vegetable oil that contains soybean (SERIOUSLY?)

Just came on here to vent and declare that I can't trust my own reading skills to the world. 

Reading every label was the only tiring part of my Whole30. And I spent the weekend before ridding my house of everything that wasn't compliant and wound up with two huge garbage bags fill of food to give away or discard! I also went to Whole Foods for the first time during my Whole30 and found myself re-christening it Whole Sugar. But I hit bottom during my reintroduction when I discovered my favorite hummus at Trader Joe's has sugar!

2 hours ago, kirkor said:

Ya, it's tough out there, for sure. The ingredient thing is what I think people who malign Whole30's zero tolerance policy just don't understand.  Not only does eliminating the non-compliant ingredients allow for a physiological reset and reintroduction process that provides insight into previously misunderstood sensitivities, it opens our eyes to the fact that the food that surrounds us at every turn is soaked in these potentially damaging products!  And these labels go right up to the edge of what is legal

I agree completely about the value of this awareness. It opened my eyes to how our "food" has been turned into "products."

I caught this thread and found myself nodding in agreement to all of this. I'm on Day 1 today and I've been combing through each and every ingredient on every item I have in my fridge/cabinets. When I was drinking my "herbal" tea from Teavana this morning, I decided to check online the ingredients to make sure the guy was right in that there was no added sugar. Well, the coconut chips that are in the tea contain SUGAR I found out. SO frustrating when you put so much effort into this. I can see how people can become a little obsessed with it! Enjoying the rest of my compliant meals I've prepped today, though.

Sending you continued good luck on your Whole30 journey! :)

30 minutes ago, Jillybean2017 said:

I caught this thread and found myself nodding in agreement to all of this. I'm on Day 1 today and I've been combing through each and every ingredient on every item I have in my fridge/cabinets. When I was drinking my "herbal" tea from Teavana this morning, I decided to check online the ingredients to make sure the guy was right in that there was no added sugar. Well, the coconut chips that are in the tea contain SUGAR I found out. SO frustrating when you put so much effort into this. I can see how people can become a little obsessed with it! Enjoying the rest of my compliant meals I've prepped today, though.

Sending you continued good luck on your Whole30 journey! :)

At least you found out on Day 1!

Archived