Day 8, really sad and feeling discouraged

RandiW

Aside from a brief kill all the things for the latter half of day 5, things have been relatively smooth. Some detox, some cravings, but I worked through it and felt very committed. it's day 8 and i'm pmsing. I probably didn't eat enough food this morning so I'm probably hungry even though I don't feel hungry. I had a fight with my mother this morning and have started to feel my typically supportive bf getting a little frustrated with eating whole 30 for dinners, even though he's eating other things. I'm feeling so lonely and depressed today and have been crying on and off all day. And typically when I feel this way I left myself eat whatever will cheer me up. It's not always junk food, but it's definitely stuff that I'm not eating right now on W30. I don't really want to give it to emotional eating and eat something SWYPO, but I'm just struggling. I feel spent, like I don't want to look at another pot or pan or dish. I'll ask my bf to cook, but I know it's challenging for him to cook compliant when it's my diet and not his (i'm making him sound less compassionate than he is about it, i think it's more my guilt over asking him to do it than his actual attitude). I want to curl up on the couch and cry and eat pizza for dinner. There's not really leftovers to eat tonight.. the thing I was gonna make for dinner would give us some leftovers. I know if I eat a small meal i might feel better but i'm just so bummed right now.

I'm one day behindyou so surely not an expert but don't eat pizza! Try eating a lot of something compliant but on the yummier side (for me that would be guacamole or fruit with almond butter). I'm also sick of cooking, have you tried a slow cooker, lots of food for minimal effort. Anyway, let's stick it out

• Moderators

During the week or so leading up to your period, you physically need more food. More starchy vegetables will help a lot, and more fats. Have a baked sweet potato with a big scoop of coconut oil on it with your dinner tonight. Eat twice as much food as usual if that's what you feel like will help. Eat now if you need something before you start on dinner. 

Hormones do weird things to us, and it's really annoying, but on the plus side, lots of women who stick close to this way of eating long term find that both the physical and emotional effects of pms are lessened. Stay with it.

Definitely if you have a favorite w30 meal, fix that, or if you can go out somewhere and have a compliant meal, that can be a nice change. Do hang in there, though -- in a few days you'll feel back to normal again, and you don't want to have to restart.

Thanks for your comment, @Eleanor174 & @ShannonM816. Don't worry, not quitting, just discouraged. My bf came home and I had a good cry and we talked about coming up with a list of things he can easily make that I can eat to help take the burden of cooking every meal off me (we usually split cooking 50/50). Feeling a bit better, but easily triggered. I think I need to get some food in me, ASAP

Also, remember that every meal doesn't have to be amazing - if you really don't feel like cooking, scrambled eggs in the microwave with some avocado and steamed vege on the side takes 5 minutes max and creates about 2 dishes. It might not set the world on fire, but it will fill your belly and let you lounge on the couch instead of cooking and cleaning all evening. 

@GoJo09, absolutely. We don't have a microwave, but that doesn't mean there aren't quick easy things to do. I think it's about mindset and also deeper level food issues. I have a pattern that gets considerably more powerful when my blood sugar drops which is that I either can't figure out what to eat, or I can think of only one thing that sounds good to eat (or one type of things, usually, like sushi or mexican). And then nothing feels satisfying until I eat that thing, or some other thing that is suggested to me that sounds palatable. But the longer is takes to decide or if I can't eat that thing, the more out of control I start to feel. It's rare these day that it happens to me, maybe 2 or 3 times a year, when it used to happen 2-3x/week, but I find right now it's acting up a bit more because I'm depriving the dragon of easy foods (namely, bread and butter) that hold off the need to eat until I can cook or arrange something. 

Right now, if I start to feel desperate, I'll eat a spoonful of almond butter to hold me over. Mostly I've been good because I've been making sure my meals have been complete and hold me over till the next one. But yesterday I didn't eat lunch and with all the other emotional nonsense happening, I just crashed. Was a good lesson in asking for help though. 

Wow the way you describe your pattern really hits with me. I have a very similar thing happen if not the exact thing. I hate it and its powerful. I have never been able to describe it as you have. It is good to hear that I am not alone in experiencing this as the feeling I get really makes me feel crazy at times and while its not something I want anyone to experience its good to know I am not alone.

Archived