Hormonal Cravings

EricaEV

Yup, PMS will lead to cravings. Your body needs a LOT more nutrients during the second half of your cycle. It has to assume you're pregnant and ramps up the body to prep for that. Once you get your period, your body doesn't need as much and the cravings subside.

Most do well eating lots more compliant carbs during this time. Eat more in general, but get more carbs in. More fat may help, too. I've read a chocolate craving may be specific to a magnesium need, so consider magnesium rich foods or supplements. 

Just know that this is biology and survival of the species at work here. Work with it. It's not a willpower issue, as we've often been led to believe when it comes to PMS.

Great to know! The magnesium point makes a lot of sense since I have issues falling asleep. Will look those key foods up and include more more nutrient rich foods at this time. Currently have a bison steak marinating in homemade dairy-free pesto. Looking forward to a grilled dinner with sweet potatoes and asparagus. Just the thought of denser meat after a few days of poultry and fish has me mentally feeling more satisfied. 

Thanks again!

Hi ladies - I'm on day 17 of my first whole30 and just started my period a day early.  That isn't the problem so much as the fact that I'm hungrier.  Not for chocolate, which would have been my previous craving but just hungrier in general.  I just had some almonds mid-morning to help me out but I didn't know if this was common for anyone else. 

Thanks! 

On 1/18/2017 at 2:58 PM, EricaEV said:

Hi there! I am in Week 2 / Day 11 and having more cravings than week one. Specifically for chocolate - which I don't typically eat. I just finished ovulating - so could these be connected? What foods can help better balance my hormones to curb cravings? 

I think you are very right. During ovulation hormones and their ratio to each other cause temporary insulin resistance, hence the cravings. I see that very clearly in my sugar readings and increase in need for insulin while ovulating (I am type 1 diabetic). I would speculate on the theory of your body thinking you are pregnant (as it is very much regulated by the changes in hormones that can't deceive the body) - but I am not an expert in this field so if a mod doesn't agree with this post it can be removed. 

22 hours ago, karo1500 said:

I think you are very right. During ovulation hormones and their ratio to each other cause temporary insulin resistance, hence the cravings. I see that very clearly in my sugar readings and increase in need for insulin while ovulating (I am type 1 diabetic).

This is very interesting!  I'm day 17, 5 days out from my period, and am craving carbs like mad.  I should be over the cravings by now, and they did abate for a week or so, but they are back with a vengeance!

I am doing my first whole30 and am currently on day 21, but days 15-20 I experienced similar to what some have mentioned here. I was constantly hungry, all of a sudden vegetables tasted horrible, and I craved fruit and bread like none other. I started to wonder if I was doing this whole30 thing wrong or if I was just THAT psychologically dependent on food. (Which is probably true, regardless) On day 19 I realized why, and all can be attributed to that hormonal surge before that time of the month! What a relief! It was such a difficult week to get through and admittedly I ate more larabars than I should have; but I was looking for anything to stay compliant and calm the PMS beast within. 

Anybody have any good tricks for dealing with the PMS cravings while doing Whole30? Thanks!

• Moderators
9 minutes ago, Heatherebekah said:

Anybody have any good tricks for dealing with the PMS cravings while doing Whole30? Thanks!

Eat more in general, and more starchy vegetables in particular. One of the mods here used to post she'd eat almost twice as much during that time as usual. It's okay to eat, even if it feels like a lot of food.

1 hour ago, Heatherebekah said:

If I go to the gym and do some complex resistance exercises (that engage large and multiply muscles groups: like dead lifts, barbell squats or good mornings) I am even more hungry afterwards but eating much more than normally then is nearly like eating a freebie after a good workout. And a post workout insulin sensitivity counteracts the temporary insulin resistance caused by the menstrual cycle. I hope I am making sense... Now the trick is that only resistance training does that. Cardio doesn't do any dramatic changes to insulin sensitivity levels. Again this conclusion is through observation of my blood sugars and the need for insulin, but I think there is starting to be more clinical research on this and I am sure there are some papers on pubmed on that.

4 hours ago, Heatherebekah said:

I am doing my first whole30 and am currently on day 21, but days 15-20 I experienced similar to what some have mentioned here. I was constantly hungry, all of a sudden vegetables tasted horrible, and I craved fruit and bread like none other. I started to wonder if I was doing this whole30 thing wrong or if I was just THAT psychologically dependent on food. (Which is probably true, regardless) On day 19 I realized why, and all can be attributed to that hormonal surge before that time of the month! What a relief! It was such a difficult week to get through and admittedly I ate more larabars than I should have; but I was looking for anything to stay compliant and calm the PMS beast within. 

I feel ya! I don't typically eat red meat, but found that grass fed bison and grass fed steak REALLY helped. I felt satisfied and it kept me full.  Think grilled bison, a sweet potato with ghee, chives and asparagus. The other thing that has helped was eating a bigger breakfast and lunch than usual. Its still a struggle but hope that helps!

I just found this thread whilst browsing the forums... it's a week until period time for me and I am ravenous - no surprise really, that happens every month but today I have decided to eat LOTS of nutritious compliant food to see what happens. I've effectively consumed an additional meal and am stuffed, but now not craving sweet things and (if I was counting) only really ate an extra 400-500 calories worth of food, a massive win compared to what would have happened if I'd chosen processed grain based things instead. I've eaten extra potatoes and a chicken breast I wouldn't have ordinarily wanted but otherwise today was much as yesterday :)

On 1/21/2017 at 0:00 PM, ShannonM816 said:

Eat more in general, and more starchy vegetables in particular. One of the mods here used to post she'd eat almost twice as much during that time as usual. It's okay to eat, even if it feels like a lot of food.

Thanks Shannon! I think it's good to hear that it's ok to eat more during that time. 

On 1/21/2017 at 4:57 PM, EricaEV said:

I feel ya! I don't typically eat red meat, but found that grass fed bison and grass fed steak REALLY helped. I felt satisfied and it kept me full.  Think grilled bison, a sweet potato with ghee, chives and asparagus. The other thing that has helped was eating a bigger breakfast and lunch than usual. Its still a struggle but hope that helps!

Good idea! I don't typically eat red meat either but the extra boost of iron is probably very helpful during that time of the month. Thanks for the yummy meal suggestion! 

Came on here for this EXACT reason, I'm so comforted to know I'm not the only one!  I know y'all say eat more in general, does that mean it's more acceptable to snack during this time?  I have been RAVENOUS yesterday and today and just realized I'm about a week out.  The reason I ask about snacking specifically is that I am eating what I believe is my fill at meal times but getting super hungry in between.  I can't eat anymore during meal times- I'm already full.  And I've added a mini meal and I'm still getting snacky (but hungry enough for my basic protein and veggie snack, not a craving.)  

Archived