Egg-Free Whole 30 #2

mochuisle

I'm going to start my second Whole 30 tomorrow, but I have a question before I get going....

My comprehensive food panel showed sensitivities to all nuts except Macadamia nuts, pecans and peanuts. Since my blood work shows I don't have a peanut issue, can I have peanut butter? Or is that a hard and fast W30 rule?

I'm also sensitive to coconut, so I'm trying to limit my coconut milk intake. If anyone has suggestions for substitutions for cooking, I'd love to hear them!

• Moderators

Peanuts are legumes and are not okay during a Whole30. And if you choose to eat them later, your body is going to have to deal with the stomach irritation provoked by legumes. You may not feel the irritation, but that does not mean it is not there.

I sometimes go for weeks at a time without using coconut milk, but can't imagine a good substitute.

Thanks for the feedback, Tom! I guess I'm going to invest in macadamia nuts for pre-workout snacks.

Started Day 1 off right - 3-mile run in the dark, finished with sun rising over the beach :)

Stepped on the scale to see where I am as I start my second W30. In three weeks off - about equal parts clean eating and off-plan eating - my numbers (weight, body fat, water weight, muscle mass) stayed almost exactly the same!

Good start, except dinner was wolfed down in my car between field hockey games & I left my salad at home :( That's the end of the season, though, so I have way more time to cook this time around.

Day 1 Log:

Pre-Workout - Macadamia Nuts

Breakfast - Meatballs w Red Pepper Pesto, Spinach Salad w Pomegranate & Pepitas

Lunch - Roasted Shrimp & Broccoli

Pre-Game Snack - Apple w Pecan Butter

Dinner - Slow Cooker Smoked Ribs

Dinner out in a restaurant on Day 2?? Hell Yeah!!

Day 2 Log:

Breakfast - Meatballs w Red Pepper Pesto, Spinach Salad w Pomegranate & Pepitas

Lunch - Slow Cooker Smoked Ribs, Beets, Green Salad w Lemon Vinaigrette

Snack - Pecan Butter

Dinner - Garden Salad w Grilled Steak (used oil & vinegar to make my own dressing)

Day 3 Log:

Breakfast - Pork Breakfast Sausage, Spinach Salad w Raspberries

Lunch - Meatballs, Sweet Potato Fries, Apple w Pecan Butter

Dinner - "Meatza" (Ground Beef "Crust", Tomato Paste, Tomatoes, Olives, Portabello Mushrooms, Spinach-Basil Pesto)

125 oz of water

The first week hasn't been quite as bad the second time around, but I'm still super psyched to sleep and relax this weekend. Cleaning, cooking, running and yoga all on the agenda for the weekend!

I also did a tally of all the ingredients I've had this week: 38!!! That's in 4 days, so I'm thinking I can get to 100 - no problem!

Day 4 Log:

Lunch - "Meatza" (Ground Beef "Crust", Tomato Paste, Tomatoes, Olives, Portabello Mushrooms, Spinach-Basil Pesto), Sweet Potato Fries

Dinner - Oven Roasted Salmon, Sautéed Mushrooms, Guacamole, Spinach Salad w Raspberries

98 oz water

I did a 4+ mile run this morning and broke 12:00 splits for the first time, pushed by younger, more capable runners (thank you Jen and Caitlin!). Out on the run, we had a long talk about W30, and I think one of the girls is going to try it in January. Sweet! Run club was followed by an hour of restorative yoga - excruciating, but so worth it!

And this is the first Saturday I've had off in a month, so I hit the farmers market, the fish market, and Whole Foods, took a nap, and got a mani-pedi (which, by the way, should never be combined - how am I supposed to relax and enjoy having my feet and legs pampered while I'm twisting like a pretzel to have my nails done?!?)

Day 5 Log:

Lunch - "Meatza" (Ground Beef "Crust", Tomato Paste, Tomatoes, Olives, Portabello Mushrooms, Spinach-Basil Pesto), Sweet Potato Fries, Apple w Pecan Butter

Dinner - Oven Roasted Swordfish w Mango-Avocado Salsa, Brussels Sprouts

98 oz water

I was all excited for this Breakfast Bake I got from Pinterest (http://food.ninemsn..../breakfast-bake)

I took out the eggs (still dreaming about the day I can add eggs back to my diet and give this a shot) and subbed in some sweet potatoes. Then I ran out of time before yoga...

In the last two weeks, I've made some big improvements on my mat. On the surface I practice to keep my legs/hips loose, but my back and shoulders are really the tightest parts of my body. All of a sudden, I've been able to do things with my upper body I've never been able to, like getting close to having my palms touch in Eagle, being able to see the back corner of the room while threading the needle, and pulling my hands off my back in Humble Warrior. Well, this morning I got my toes off my "perch" while trying to fly into Crow! Crow has been my yoga goal since I started a dedicated practice 2 1/2 years ago, and for the first time, I feel like it's actually within my reach :)

After class, I settled on reheating the Breakfast Bake for lunch. It was still a tasty egg-free combination, and I don't have to worry about breakfast for the next couple of days!

Anyone have ideas for reheating fish? I love fish, but hate it the second day - it either ends up all dried out and cold and fishy (seems obvious, I know!)

Day 6 Log:

Breakfast - Applegate Hot Dogs, Mustard (W30 approved), Spinach Salad w Dried Strawberries

Lunch - Breakfast Bake (Portabello Mushrooms, Applegate Pork Kielbasa, Tomatoes, Bacon, Sweet Potatoes)

Dinner - Oven Roasted Swordfish w Mango-Avocado Salsa, Brussels Sprouts

88 oz of water

I'm logging my meals before Sandy takes away my power :(

Day 7 Log:

Breakfast - Breakfast Bake (Portabello Mushrooms, Applegate Pork Kielbasa, Tomatoes, Bacon, Sweet Potatoes)

Lunch - Applegate Hot Dogs, Mustard (W30 approved), Spinach Salad w Dried Strawberries, Spaghetti Squash w Olive Tapenade

Snack - Pecans

Dinner - Sausage, Peppers & Onions on Spaghetti Squash (http://blog.stuffima...eppers-and.html), Brussels Sprouts

102 oz of water

I grabbed W30 compliant chicken sausage from my local grocery store. Even after cooking all day in the crock pot with peppers, onions and tomatoes, it's still tasteless. Applegate is worth the time and the money!

My energy is low today. I worked out before school (530am), took a nap after school and am still ready to hit the rack early tonight. This is Day 9, so I'm a little surprised to be tired still, but I'm hoping a run in the am and yoga in the pm tomorrow will help straighten things out. Friday looks like it's going to be a rest day :D

Day 9 Log:

Pre-Workout - Macadamia Butter

Breakfast - Breakfast Bake

Lunch - Sausage, Peppers & Onions on Spaghetti Squash

Snack - Pecans

Dinner - Coffee-Ancho Chili Spiced Ribs, Mashed Cauliflower

112 oz of water

Much better energy today! I did 3 miles this morning, an hour of heated vinyasa this afternoon, and delivered a pot roast dinner to a friend who was recently hit by a truck while cycling. She's amazing and will recover, but it was a welcome reminder to appreciate every day! And to keep wearing reflective gear and a head lamp when I run before sunrise :)

I also managed to make baby Yorkshire puddings to go w the pot roast without eating any of them.

Oh yeah - and I'm 1/3rd of the way done!!!

Day 10 Log:

Pre-Run - Macadamia Butter

Breakfast - Blueberry Breakfast Sausage, Mashed Sweet Potato, Spinach Salad w Dried Cherries

Lunch - Sausage, Pepper & Onions over Spaghetti Squash

Pre-Yoga - Apple w Pecan Butter

Dinner - Zucchini Boats w Lamb Curry

107 oz of water

Hi! I just started the Whole 30 and I can't eat eggs either. I'm so sensitive I end up doubled over with stomach pain! I'm a fitness trainer and I workout out hard most mornings and I've always had a whey protein shake mixed with coconut milk for breakfast before my workout. I use a pure grass-feed, hormone free, non-denatured brand that has no additives or sweetners. Can I keep using this for breakfast? I can't eat meat before my workout it sits like lead in my stomach and I can't workout without eating. Any suggestions?

Hi! I just started the Whole 30 and I can't eat eggs either. I'm so sensitive I end up doubled over with stomach pain! I'm a fitness trainer and I workout out hard most mornings and I've always had a whey protein shake mixed with coconut milk for breakfast before my workout. I use a pure grass-feed, hormone free, non-denatured brand that has no additives or sweetners. Can I keep using this for breakfast? I can't eat meat before my workout it sits like lead in my stomach and I can't workout without eating. Any suggestions?

From what I understand, whey protein is completely out. I'm like you, though - I work out early in the am, can't work out without eating, and meat in my stomach during a work out is a bad, bad idea, especially if I'm starting my day with hot yoga. Ugh! Like Candice said above, I love nut butter (or even a handful of nuts) before my workouts. My doctor thinks I'm sensitive to cashews and almonds, so I've been experimenting with homemade pecan and macadamia butters. I'll add some fruit if I have a particularly long workout - no problems for me at all, even in downward dog :)

I've also tried to eat breakfast ASAP after my workout. Without eggs, this means I usually prep a breakfast on Sunday that I reheat during the week and add a spinach salad to get some green leafy vegetables in early in the day.

Mentally preparing for 5.5 miles tomorrow :huh:

Day 11 Log:

Breakfast - Blueberry Breakfast Sausage, Mashed Sweet Potato, Spinach Salad w Dried Cherries

Lunch - Coffee-Ancho Chili Spiced Ribs, Mashed Cauliflower

Snack - Pecans

Dinner - Zucchini Boats w Lamb Curry

118 oz of water

5.5 miles under my belt today - not only is this my longest distance, but it was the fastest pace I've run in years and years (11:44). When I started running in June as part of my training for a triathlon, it took me 40:00 to run/walk 2 miles. Now, I'm not going to set any land-speed records, but I'm still pretty psyched :D

I went from my run immediately into a restorative yoga class - I think this is going to be key to me running injury-free. This class is excruciating, so I must need the stretching! I've got a little dull knee pain, but none of the calf/shin cramping or plantar fasciitis that has plagued me for so long. Thank God, thank Chi Running, and thank W30!!

I spoiled myself rotten today and bought a Ninja food processor/blender. I also picked up two pounds of pecans at Sam's Club, so I'll be trying the Ninja out tomorrow to make some pecan butter. I also spoiled myself with a decadent (but compliant!) dinner <3

Day 12 Log:

Pre-Workout - Macadamia Butter

Breakfast - Blueberry Breakfast Sausage, Spinach Salad w Dried Cherries, Apple, Pecans

Lunch - Zucchini Boats w Lamb Curry

Snack - 2 AF Hot Dogs

Dinner - Lobster w Clarified Butter, Roasted Cauliflower w Garlic & Bacon

112 oz of water

Hi! Two questions:

1) How was your lobster with clarified butter? Sounds ahhhhmazing. I just bought ghee tonight (isnt that the same as clarified butter?) and judging by the taste, I imagine it would make plenty of seafood taste great!

2) Can you explain the applegate hotdogs to me? I see that it has no nitrites, and is uncured, and that its also whole30 compliant... but does it taste like a regular hot dog? Is it better? And I may have to google this, but why are meats cured anyways?

Dinner was fantastic! Happy camper last night :) Ghee and clarified butter are basically the same thing. I use ghee in cooking here and there, mostly for sautéing, but there's a little taste to it that I wouldn't want w my lobster.

Try the Applegate hot dogs/sausage!! I hadn't eaten a hot dog in years, until these were recommended to me as a quick & easy protein alternative to eggs. I wish I knew about curing, but I don't - sorry!

I tried a different brand in my sausage, peppers & onions earlier this week and they were awful. But I was reminded how high quality AF products are. I have to go to Whole Foods to get them and they're expensive, but so worth it!

I try to have dinner with my parents on Sunday nights and since they've been on the road for a couple weeks, I was so excited for my dad to do steaks on the grill. . . . then I walked into the kitchen and saw that he had steak tips marinating in an apricot-ginger sauce :( I went back to the grocery store, picked up a cheap steak and threw it on the grill, but it wasn't the same. I think I need a grill of my own!

Day 13 Log:

Breakfast - Bacon, Sweet Potato, Spinach Salad w Dried Cranberries

Lunch - Chipotle Carnitas Burrito Bowl (carnitas, mild salsa, lettuce, guacamole)

Snack - Pecan Butter

Dinner - Grilled Steak, Sautéed Mushrooms, Roasted Cauliflower w Bacon & Garlic

105 oz of water

Archived