legumes and insomnia

yvonne123456

Has anyone reintroduced legumes and had insomnia as a side effect? Yesterday was my first reintroduction day, and then I woke up at 3:30 with anxiety and a panic attack. That's not atypical for me, but it hasn't happened in a couple months.

Yesterday, I ate:

Pre/post workout: apple and peanut butter

Breakfast: two eggs and sweet potato hash cooked in olive oil 

Lunch: three hardboiled eggs and sweet potato hash (I ran out of veggies)

Snack: apple 

Dinner: Chipotle bowl: black beans, barbacoa, peppers/onions, tomato and hot salsas, guac, and lettuce. 

I know not all the chipotle ingredients are not whole30 compliant (e.g., barbacoa and peppers and onions are cooked in rice bran oil), but from what I've read about reintroduction, it seems okay not to adhere to the super-strict rules. 

I welcome your thoughts!

It's definitely worth exploring. I had a poor reaction yesterday as well but I inadvertently ate some chips that had rice bran flour and yeast extract so I'm having a hard time pinpointing the cause.

My situation is a little different but I'm going to go back to Whole30 straight up for a couple of days before I do another reintroduction and you may want to do the same. I may even give legumes another shot just so I can see if it is actually them that made me feel so bad yesterday.

I reintroduced garbanzo beans yesterday. It hasn't gone well.

I've had sneezing attacks, achiness, stomach pain, felt really, really tired and now the typical uncomfortableness of legumes.  

I also noticed I was really crabby later in the day. I haven't had these issues in at least a week. I feel like I got thrown back to day 11 of the Whole 30.

Legumes are definitely off the menu for me! I'm not even sure I'm going to try dairy or grains. I've been without them for about nine months now and haven't missed either.

I will try honey on Saturday - because I got some really nice honey for Christmas.

Oh and I roasted them in olive oil and added garlic powder, salt and pepper. Everything else was compliant - eggs, compliant chicken sausage, cabbage, an apple, yukon potatoes. nothing different from what I eat daily.

Hope you feel better soon!

I reintroduced legumes yesterday. I had black-eyed peas at breakfast, refried beans at lunch and hummus at dinner. I had no problem sleeping, but my sinuses clogged up as I was finishing dinner. I woke up this morning with a bad headache and stuffy nose. It has cleared up as the day has gone by, but I still have a dull headache. I also has tummy rumblings all day yesterday, too. Legumes are off my list.  I am afraid to try soy now. 

9 hours ago, Mary Stovall said:

I reintroduced garbanzo beans yesterday. It hasn't gone well.

I've had sneezing attacks, achiness, stomach pain, felt really, really tired and now the typical uncomfortableness of legumes.  

I also noticed I was really crabby later in the day. I haven't had these issues in at least a week. I feel like I got thrown back to day 11 of the Whole 30.

Legumes are definitely off the menu for me! I'm not even sure I'm going to try dairy or grains. I've been without them for about nine months now and haven't missed either.

I will try honey on Saturday - because I got some really nice honey for Christmas.

Oh and I roasted them in olive oil and added garlic powder, salt and pepper. Everything else was compliant - eggs, compliant chicken sausage, cabbage, an apple, yukon potatoes. nothing different from what I eat daily.

Hope you feel better soon!

sounds tasty!

29 minutes ago, perceivingperdita said:

I reintroduced legumes yesterday. I had black-eyed peas at breakfast, refried beans at lunch and hummus at dinner. I had no problem sleeping, but my sinuses clogged up as I was finishing dinner. I woke up this morning with a bad headache and stuffy nose. It has cleared up as the day has gone by, but I still have a dull headache. I also has tummy rumblings all day yesterday, too. Legumes are off my list.  I am afraid to try soy now. 

Wow, those are some intense reactions. I'm back to W30 today through Sunday. I'm going to try dairy at that time because a friend is returning from Europe with some cheese. This is definitely a good learning experience! 

12 hours ago, aprilb said:

It's definitely worth exploring. I had a poor reaction yesterday as well but I inadvertently ate some chips that had rice bran flour and yeast extract so I'm having a hard time pinpointing the cause.

My situation is a little different but I'm going to go back to Whole30 straight up for a couple of days before I do another reintroduction and you may want to do the same. I may even give legumes another shot just so I can see if it is actually them that made me feel so bad yesterday.

Great ideas. 

• 2 weeks later...

Introduced bread this evening and , for the first time in weeks, just can not sleep! Have no anxiety, no worries just concerned now that it's the bread causing my insomnia! No bread tomorrow that's for sure.....

Carpe diem 

x

• 1 year later...

I introduced legumes yesterday and woke up at 11:45pm and felt like I couldn’t sleep the rest of the night! I had:

2 eggs, carnitas, zuchinni, potato, and spinach with a banana and peanut butter (made sure to buy PB that was just peanuts, oil, salt... no sugar)

black beans with chicken, bell pepper, jalapeño, cilantro, avocado, and salsa

tofu and beef veggie stir fry (still used coconut aminos instead of soy sauce cause I’m trying to introduce added sugar separately)

it was the most bizarre thing! I also got super bloated and my stomach hurt. I felt most of these symptoms after eating the tofu so maybe it’s soy more than other legumes? Glad I’m not alone in the bizarre insomnia thing....

8 minutes ago, mandalion91 said:

I felt most of these symptoms after eating the tofu so maybe it’s soy

Yeah, I'd always be inclined to recommend breaking down the legume reintro to allow for specific peanut & soy days as both are highly problematic/allergenic.

Archived