Do i have to include ghee in my foods?

Emw30

Hello! Starting my first whole30 on Monday and keep seeing ghee in a lot of recieps. Just wondering if I have to cook with it or can I just use olive oil? And get my fat intake from other sources? What does it even taste like? If you guys think I should then ill pick some up on Monday but its pretty expensive too, so I just want to make sure I need it before getting it. Thanks!

You can cook with whatever you wish: olive oil, animal fats, etc.

I love ghee, but I prefer it in it's "clarified butter" state, i.e. not at all browned. To me, it has the unctuousness of butter and at the same time can withstand high heat for cooking. I often use a combination of olive oil and ghee for sautéing.

Ghee is ridiculously easy to make and you can control how expensive it is by the quality of the butter you choose to buy.

37 minutes ago, Emw30 said:

Toasted coconuts okay? Its literally just toasted coconuts. Got it at the bulk food store (bulk barn). 

Coconut flakes are fine and toasted is fine. Just make sure they weren't toasted with oil or have preservatives added. And use them as a fat with meals not as a snack.

1 hour ago, Emw30 said:

Sorry this is a little off topic. But I just made the mayo. And now I'm thinking... That egg was raw. Lol is that okay?

I've been making mayo with raw eggs for years without issue.  Be sure to keep it refrigerated.  I do think there are warnings about eating raw eggs if you are pregnant, so keep that in mind.  You can always use pateurized eggs if you are concerned.

Archived