Start February 13th

Kelsie Ashley

1 hour ago, Ejanecek83 said:

@KelliKB haha "second trimester"! 

I'm having dinner two hours later than normal. I was so focused on my computer working away. I hope that doesn't alter my sleep. I'm wide awake at 8:30pm and normally getting ready for bed.

i went to Whole Foods today and found compliant bacon! I've never found any before so I'm excited! There was only one package left. Must be popular with a "paleo" sticker on it lol the brand is Wellshire.

@Ejanecek83 ... AAhhhh....bacon!!!  My mouth actually just watered a little.  No Whole Foods near us and I have been searching for a compliant brand.  I used baked prosciutto as a substitute, it was manageable.  I will definitely have to close my eyes when you post your IG pics of the 'meat that cannot be mentioned'!  LOL

• Replies 299
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I thought I posted this morning but I guess not lol

i was not feeling dinner tonight but ate it for fuel. In my pre-Whole30 life, I would've just ordered pizza or something even though I really didn't feel like anything. Today, I ate leftovers. Victory!! I'm changing! 

Does anyone else have any non-scale victories?!

I can vouch for the deliciousness of the Italian Meatballs in W30 Cookbook. I will be making these many, many times again, for sure, regardless of whether I'm eating Whole-30-style or not!!! I had some of them chopped up with mushroom and spinach in an omelette for breakfast today. Best W30 breakfast so far! Be warned, though: I only made half the recipe and I still had 90 good sized meatballs.

@Ejanecek83 for NSVs, I think I'm starting to glimpse the 'feeling good' part. Not quite boundless energy, but definitely happier, optimistic, calmer, and feeling proud of myself for giving my health a higher priority than normal. Also proud that I've tried a few recipes and ingredients I'd normally shy away from. It's Friday night in Oz, and I'm noticing the 'spoil myself' urge to reward myself with food & wine for a hard week at work. I'm not going down that path, though, after 2 weeks of effort! So I think an NSV is being more aware of my impulses with food and how many of them are habits rather than hunger.

I'm glad to know about those meatballs, @kerricraft!  Yum!

great job eating leftovers @Ejanecek83!  I've had a few "I just need to fuel my body whether it sounds good or not" meals lately, too. It's not ideal but necessary I guess. 

I guess my biggest NSV is overcoming the laziness/disinterest I'd developed about meal planning, shopping and cooking. I have a house full of picky eaters and it is just not fun to cook for them, I'm sorry to say. And now that I'm working (after being a stay-at-home mom for 14 years), it was just way easier to order in (it's very cheap to do here) instead of cook. Anyway...I feel like I've gotten my mojo back!

I'm also so surprised that I haven't really craved alcohol. I've been bummed a couple of times that I couldn't join in the fun, but I haven't really CRAVED it. So that's good!

Oh and I'm jealous of the bacon!!!  Ahhhhh!!!

@Ejanecek83, NSV's??  Every meal is a non-scale victory!  I'm choosing better, healthier food...I'm feeling full (mostly) without the daily 'extras' that I used to think were requirements to get through a day.  

As @kerricraft said, I am also getting glimpses of the energy and light-heartedness and confidence that I know I used to have.

Last night was also a weird kind-of night...lots of running and even though I had left-over roast, I just couldn't bring myself to get it all out and warm it up.  I ended up snacking for dinner ... I made guacamole with 1 avocado & fixings and ate that with veggies, some nuts (almonds, pecans & sunflower seeds) and a banana.  I ended up going through a drive through for my 11 year old and my mantra the whole time was "I am stronger than a french fry!"  It worked...I didn't even want one, although they did smell good.  Yesterday was also my day with the most cravings...not the little life-savers that I pass every day, but also like @kerricraft said so well...I find that I have a habit of wanting to reward myself with food, coffee, alcohol, etc.  For a job well done eating healthy all week, let's go have a large caramel latte!  HA!  Breaking habits is harder than eating eggs everyday. :huh:  Also, I did dream about eating non-compliant food but I can't remember what it was...just a feeling of anxiety that I gave in.  I guess that's normal?

@KelliKB, I so understand the want to make life easy while working and running and planning for the whole family.  It is not easy.  You are doing a great job!  Don't give up...it will all be worth it! :)

Also, @Ejanecek83, I had my first LaCroix (not the cherry lime) but Berry.  Delicious!  Thanks for sharing...I love learning all of the new tricks!

Hi friends!! I'm exhausted today! I took a magnesium before bEd but didn't sleep. Here I thought I was getting better with sleep.

im happy I've lost several inches since starting the Whole30 because we had to measure each other all day in my certification class today lol

I'm going to take a little rest break then throw some food on the grill. 

One positive is I haven't had any cravings yet! Hallelujah!!

How was everyone's day 12? 

@Chrissybell love the La Croix in a wine glass;) I've never had it until I started the Whole30. Yummy!

@Chrissybell and @kerricraft way to not give in! I rewarded myself with a massage after week one. Week two I'm rewarding myself to a new gym membership at Orange Theory. What can you pick to reward yourself? A pedicure? A new shirt? Think of something and share! 

@KelliKB I've been getting my cooking mojo back as well. Yay us! I'm having a blast with it! 

About to have my first day out... lunch and a play with another mom and our girls.  They decided on P.F. Chang's for lunch ... I scoured the forum boards for good advice.  My plan is to order steamed salmon and steamed veggies with no oils, butter or seasonings.  I am bringing my own ghee in a small container.  I ate a big breakfast (2 eggs, leftover roast & potatoes, butternut squash & carrots). I also packed a lunch of boiled egg, carrots, almonds, water & La Croix just in case I can't get what I want at the restaurant.  Feeling a bit nervous, but glad to have a plan.  I seriously have never thought so much about the food I am eating, but happy that this is finally making me be accountable for my choices.  

Wish me luck!

Hi there, I also started on February 13th. I have been eating paleo (with lots of cheating during the holidays that continued into and thru January). My goal with Paleo and now with whole30 is, in addition to improving overall health, to help decrease anxiety and increase mood and energy levels. I also have stomach issues which I think are due to all the anxiety meds I take. So far I've been feeling great and even slimming down a bit. For some reason i woke up this morning and have been EXHAUSTED all day!! I ate a great, typically fulfilling breakfast but still felt tired. I tried a snack (apples with almond butter) but it didnt seem to help. It may just be that my husband is working and I have my 6 and 2 year old alone today,  but it's no different from any other Saturday. Going for a run with a friend in an hour so that may help.  Just curious if anyone else is hitting or has hit a wall over the past few days? Hoping it will quickly pass. 

My first "rough" day. I wasn't prepared today. I forgot my lunch and I was in a certification class all day. I had an apple and almonds for lunch which is not enough but all I had. I went to subway to get a veggie salad. I took two bites and I just was t feeling it.

Today was the last day of it and we got out early. I'm exhausted. It's gorgeous out. I just wanted to go to happy hour with my class. I'm not craving alcohol. It's just psychological. It's a regular thing I'd do. 

Now im at home and trying to relax but all I can think about is tacos and paleo desserts. I feel too tired to cook dinner. 

The end.

I hope you got through your rough day, @Ejanecek83. Sounds awful - just the idea of forgetting my lunch freaks me out! I've been thinking about my answer  your question about rewarding myself. I went to bed early last night and stayed in bed quite late this morning which felt like a nice reward. I'm going shopping next weekend so I'll probably splurge on some new make-up, too. Not sure if it counts as a reward, though, as I would do that anyway, haha. 

How did your lunch go, @Chrissybell? I've only had one meal out so far and I ended up having just poached eggs!

@jmcbn Thanks for your response. I think you're right that I may not be getting enough fat. For breakfast, I've been eating 2 scrambled eggs, sauteed kale (sometimes onion, kale & swt potato hash) all cooked in coconut oil, and some berries or apple slices. I either add a half an avocado, some olives, or a scoop of almond butter for fats. I don my grocery shopping on Sundays so I've been out of avocado for a couple days and have only been able to use nuts in addition to the coconut oil or olive oil that I cook with. Do you have suggestions for other fats to add to a meal? 

Also, @Ejanecek83as a treat to myself I got myself a facial on Thursday. It was such a treat! It was nice to have the esthetician compliment my skin...I think I can thank whole30 for that:)

29 minutes ago, aaa1217 said:

...and have only been able to use nuts in addition to the coconut oil or olive oil that I cook with. Do you have suggestions for other fats to add to a meal? 

Have you tried making home made mayo? You can use the mayo as a base for sauces too.... Or how about some ghee/clarified butter over your veg? You can also use fatty cts of meat - chicken wings with skins on, ribs, brisket.... Or all kinds of rendered animal fat, compliant bacon, various nut/seed oils, or coconut milk/flesh.

Nuts are *okay* but they can be hard on the digestive system, and with their high levels of omega 6 fatty acids they can also be inflammatory so we'd recommend you limit their use.

Thanks for everyone's support! This is a great community! My rough day has passed and I'm feeling better today. I only got six hours of sleep and restless. I thought this second week was going to help me sleep but that hasn't been the case. I'm going to start working out tomorrow. Maybe that'll be exactly what I need to burn some energy. 

What's your favorite workout?

@aaa1217 that's such a great feeling to get compliments on your skin!!

@Chrissybell how did your lunch outing go? 

Is anyone meal prepping today? I need to!!

@jmcbn thanks for your feedback! Will try to reduce nuts/nut butter and increase ghee/clarified butters. We use a grass fed meat delivery service so we're always surprised with all different cuts of meat like briskets, ribs, steaks, etc. It's pricey but I think it's worth it for the quality! Will grab some extra chicken with skin and some other fatty cuts at store today.

Feeling better today after going to bed early. fingers crossed it will continue. 

@Ejanecek83 Good luck with the workout! I love to sneak in a run outside when I can. Actually, I hate every second of it but love how i feel when I'm done. If weather doesn't permit I run 30 min of intervals on treadmill at gym - 3 min walk, 3 min jog, 1 minute run (sprint). Get bored out of my mind and always quit on treadmill unless I mix it up. Also love a good hot yoga class!!!!

@kerricraft @Ejanecek83,  so the lunch was okay...not great.  The waitress seemed to understand my restrictions (I followed the advice of the W30 book and tried not to make a big deal of it, just asked if I could get plain steamed salmon and veggies with no oils ... and I ordered first.  I also asked about other ingredients in the spinach w/garlic...she came back and said that it had soybean oil, so I passed)  When my dish came out, the broccoli looked green & vibrant but the salmon had obviously been on a grill (at least the bottom of it) and it had some seasoning sprinkled on top.  I was already the outsider and didn't want to send it back and make a big deal out of it as everyone else was already eating their meal.  (This is more of a confidence thing in myself) So I just ate it...I brought my own ghee to add to the veggies (which of course I got kidded about).  It was delicious, but about 20 mins later I had a major headache that lasted about 2 hours.  I'm thinking that it must have been something in the seasoning that was sprinkled on the top??  I'm sure the waitress understood my concerns, but by the time it gets to the chef, and the expediter (who probably did the sprinkle as a way to pretty up the dish) I think the message was lost.  Partly my own fault for not specifying NO seasonings as well as no oils and also for not sending it back.  Lesson learned...and Thanks for asking! :)

I think sleeping in is definitely a treat too!  Actually, I have been sleeping so much better than my pre-w30 life, but I have not been working out.  The first week I was too scared of slipping and the headaches were awful.  The 2nd week - better grasp on food choices but extremely busy and not making it a priority.  Maybe I will join you @Ejanecek83 and start to get back to it this week (can you believe it???  The 3rd week!!!  EEK!).

We made Perfect Sausage from w30 this morning (store bought ground pork) and boy...was it good! :wub:  Also...my mother-in-law is going to let me use her grinder attachment so we will try that next week!  Can't wait!!!  Lastly, I tried Almond Butter for the first time today as a snack with an apple.  I just love that my horizons are broadening and I am looking for healthy alternatives for everything!  And the crazy thing is....there are out there!  I just looked right past them before Whole30.

@aaa1217, definitely a confidence booster to get compliments on your skin!  A non-scale victory for sure!!!

Hope everyone has a good day ...  Happy Prepping!

I made the mayonnaise from W30 last night. AMAAAAAAZING!!!! I've never made mayo myself before...if only I knew before now what I was missing out on! I'll never buy it again. So easy to make, no weird science-type mystery ingredients and about a bajillion times better tasting. Whole30 was worth it for this alone.

I joined the gym today. I already have a gym membership and a hot yoga membership but I thought a third membership would make me go lol I feel soooo good after my workout! This is just what I needed. My only problem is I've had 3 back injuries in 4 years and it'll start hurting, then I stop working out instead of going to yoga. I'm going to try to change that this time! Reward for me for finishing our second week. I'm feeling good and happy today! Which is quite different than I felt this morning. I hit a pedestrian with my car (he's fine after he walked in front of me while turning but I still feel terrible) and a picture fell after the wall onto my head while I was cleaning this morning. I'm moving past all that and going to ha e a great second half of my day!!

how is everyone else's day?

Start of week 3! Week 2 was difficult for me. I had a big test on Friday, and all I wanted to do was eat everything non compliant! Even if it was something I wouldn't normally want, I wanted it. I am happy though I refrained and stayed strong. I'm curious though if my cravings were so strong because of the test or other reasons. On the other hand, I'm very proud of myself for sticking to the Whole30. I've became more aware of all the additives that are put in so many foods. I am definitely more confident going to the grocery store now than I was before day 1. Oh! Also I found Tessemae's! There are no health food stores around me, but I found it at Kroger. I bought three different bottles! The creamy ranch is so good. I'm excited to try the others. 

We are half way there! Good luck everyone!

Yesterday I wasn't feeling hungry in the morning, so I packed some boiled eggs and fruit to bring to the office with me....I forgot it.  I waited until lunch and had Butternut squash soup, small spinach salad w/ vinagrette, 2 clementines and a La Croix.  Starving again by dinner which was later than usual - 7 hours (I had been trying to space meals 5-6 hours apart).  I did not have snacks with me.  This morning I woke up feeling emotional...cried because the eggs my husband made were cold by the time I got lunches packed.  SOOO Crazy!!!  I am usually not this emotional over food.  I thought I was getting the hang of it. :( Could also be that tomorrow is our wedding anniversary and not being able to splurge with a nice meal out, wine, or dessert is hitting me a bit hard...I don't know?

Disappointed to share that I'm out.

Between missing my Saturday workout, an unexpected obligation on Sunday and the stress of a work fire to deal with on Monday, I'm done. 

I'll maintain the lifestyle and start again on my own, but it's the failure to plan that did me in...good luck to you all!

See you on Instagram ! (@how_do_you_eat_an_elephant)

15 hours ago, Chrissybell said:

This morning I woke up feeling emotional...cried because the eggs my husband made were cold by the time I got lunches packed.  SOOO Crazy!!!

What are you eating in terms of starchy veg?

Archived