Start February 13th

Kelsie Ashley

@Ejanecek83 on the Whole 30 site under compliant foods there are links to no sugar bacon - Wellness meats and think there was one other. I am fortunate here in MT to have several organic, grass fed meat sources - buy their ground sausage or a nice pork shoulder and grind my own. On Pnterest there is a Whole 30 sausage recipe that is Yummy - has fennel and other wonderful spices.  

• Replies 299
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello all,

I'm a little late to this forum but I started the Whole30 on Monday as well. Day 4 and so far so good. No cravings or headaches. Keeping a diary of what I eat and how I feel. 

First heard about this after not seeing my friend for about a month. I was like WOW. She has had two kids (4 and 1 1/2) and before Whole30 had lost her baby weight by exercising and eating (what she said she thought) was healthy. Well she had slimmed down even more, she was glowing, her hair was bouncy and flowing like a goddess and she was happy happy happy. Then she shared that she was currently on Whole30, was almost done and all the positive changes she has had in her mind and body thus far. She mentioned that she had lost 9 pounds and her husband lost 15 as he participated with her. They thought they were healthy eaters but were proven wrong!

Needless to say I did a little research online and ran out to buy the books. I've been struggling with my weight (20 pounds) and fertility for the past few months and decided it was time to make a change. Not a diet or a gimmick but a real lifestyle change. My husband and I are trying to conceive our first child. I want to be healthier for pregnancy and after. Physically, mentally, emotionally (can admit I am an emotional eater). 

Im finding so much variety in the recipes (maybe aside from eggs eggs eggs in the morning lol). It feels so good to be making meals from scratch and to know exactly what is in them and to experiment with new spices and ingredients. 

Just wondering how this is going for everyone thus far (I know it's only day 4, we have a long way to go) and how everyone got inspired or interested to take this on. 

Good luck to you all!

I also started on Monday, 2/13...  Looking to join this group (I think I replied in another group, but this one looks like the right one now)

Actually my husband and I started (and our kids are reaping the healthy benefits!).  Mostly following the meal template in the Whole30 book as I get used to the rules....have read & re-read certain parts of the book at least 5 times.  Last night made the Perfect Chicken (Seared in pan on top of stove & finished in the oven) ... truly the BEST chicken I have ever made.  I usually overcook chicken breast and the addition of cooking in the ghee was surprisingly sinful.  Yesterday & today, definite headaches...mornings are like the hangover symptoms in the book, but I was used to having flavored (sugar-filled) creamer in my coffee.  Both yesterday and today I felt a little nauseous in the morning and did not want to eat breakfast, but ate about 30 mins later and all was good.  I am very scared of not eating on schedule and reverting to my old habits of carbs..sugar..fast food.  

In reading the post, there has been talk of finding compliant bacon...  I baked some Prosciutto to add to roasted potatoes and it is SO much like bacon flavor!  and it just takes a little to make a big impact.  (It was a tip from the book)  Just a thought...

Looking forward to all the support from this group!  

45 minutes ago, RebeccaM said:

Hello all,

I'm a little late to this forum but I started the Whole30 on Monday as well. Day 4 and so far so good. No cravings or headaches. Keeping a diary of what I eat and how I feel. 

First heard about this after not seeing my friend for about a month. I was like WOW. She has had two kids (4 and 1 1/2) and before Whole30 had lost her baby weight by exercising and eating (what she said she thought) was healthy. Well she had slimmed down even more, she was glowing, her hair was bouncy and flowing like a goddess and she was happy happy happy. Then she shared that she was currently on Whole30, was almost done and all the positive changes she has had in her mind and body thus far. She mentioned that she had lost 9 pounds and her husband lost 15 as he participated with her. They thought they were healthy eaters but were proven wrong!

Needless to say I did a little research online and ran out to buy the books. I've been struggling with my weight (20 pounds) and fertility for the past few months and decided it was time to make a change. Not a diet or a gimmick but a real lifestyle change. My husband and I are trying to conceive our first child. I want to be healthier for pregnancy and after. Physically, mentally, emotionally (can admit I am an emotional eater). 

Im finding so much variety in the recipes (maybe aside from eggs eggs eggs in the morning lol). It feels so good to be making meals from scratch and to know exactly what is in them and to experiment with new spices and ingredients. 

Just wondering how this is going for everyone thus far (I know it's only day 4, we have a long way to go) and how everyone got inspired or interested to take this on. 

Good luck to you all!

Day 3 cravings were pretty bad for me, but today has been better.  I know I have some sweet and carb cravings that will have to be overcome.

14 minutes ago, Dustin W said:

Day 3 cravings were pretty bad for me, but today has been better.  I know I have some sweet and carb cravings that will have to be overcome.

@RebeccaM although it's only day 4 im actually feeling really well! No cravings at all and lots of energy -you can do it! And I'm doing it to clean up my insides too 

@RebeccaM you won't regret completing a whole30. I am 25 weeks pregnant and owe getting pregnant at 34 in my first month of trying to whole30. I had my AMH tested in May 2016 to see where we stood in terms of my egg reserves. My score came back at a 12 & my physician told me not to wait a year. My husband and I started trying at the end of August 2016 and I got pregnant straight away! I completed my first whole30 on August 24 and the official first day of my pregnancy is August 29. I've never felt so good.

Need to get back into whole30 for longer than 3 days. 

Way to go everyone!!

i bought the kitxhenaid meat grinder attachment and made pork tenderloin sausage. It was soooo good! Easiest way to find compliant sausage. I also bought the food processor. I've been wanting them both and the Whole30 seemed like the perfect reason to get them :)

End of Day 6: my kitchen is a disaster because I didn't prep enough food before a busy week, but I've stuck with the program which I'm proud of. Getting a little sick of eggs for breakfast. Need to get up a little earlier each day next week to allow for a little less stress in my morning routine. Need to cut back on potato - again, a result of not enough planning ahead. Big challenge in the week ahead: baking & decorating a birthday cake for my nephew without tasting any of it! 

Thanks for the forum contributions, everyone - they've helped me feel like we're all in this together, trying something that's a real challenge. It's made my week a little easier.

@kerricraft way to go! That'd be difficult to not take a lick of batter! I was just wondering what I could have instead of eggs. I do love eggs and there are so many different ways to cook them. I need to change it up a bit. I've been eating frittata all week but this morning I'm making a sweet potato hash with an over easy egg on top. Might add my pork tenderloin to it.

keep up the good work!!

23 minutes ago, Ejanecek83 said:

I was just wondering what I could have instead of eggs.

Absolutely anything. Seriously. Anything you'd eat at lunch or dinner you can also eat at breakfast - which is actually how our ancestors ate.

It helps if you stop thinking in terms of breakfast, lunch & dinner, and start thinking in terms of meals 1, 2 & 3.

Day 5 ... I feel like a bit of a failure...everyone is SO positive and I am not feeling all that shiny or happy. :(

I am realizing how much of my diet was filled with sugar...even the things that I thought of as "healthy" were very loaded with sugar.  I think I am still in detox mode as the headache is still here (comes and goes) and it is frustrating to not feel GREAT.  The food has been amazing.  So delicious and colorful and filling...I am sleeping better because I am not getting that afternoon caffeine boost.  

I genuinely am not even hungry, but the habits are the hardest to break!  The feeling that it's Friday so I can have a soda...or get that special latte as a reward for being so good.  I know that this is where the hard work with the food relationship is coming into play, but it really is sucky.  I truly feel that Newbie status as I read more post from the facebook group or the forums and people that are on 2nd, 3rd, or even 6th round...or doing Whole60, 90, etc.  

I am just taking it day by day and meal by meal and trying to give myself little high-fives for not eating the popcorn that my 11 year old made last night or passing by the bowl of Lifesavers at work or going to bed early so I am not tempted to go into the kitchen at night.  

I guess the book was right on ... the amount of suck that I feel at this stage is directly proportional to how bad my diet was before.  Knowing that I am changing that is strong motivation to keep going...  (Thanks for 'listening'.)

@Chrissybell it is just part of the process. I had an excruciating headache days 2-4. Today I had a slight one in the back of my eyes. I've been really tired and have not been sleeping well. 

I'm looking past that and patting myself on the back for all the delicious meals I've made! 

I have guests here for two weeks and that's difficult. I've been cooking them the same stuff as I am eating but adding a few things in for them. But I understand the feeling, these people have cinnamon rolls and popcorn all over the house. I know we can stay strong! Go us!!

Besides, I never want to go through week 1 again lol horrible! 

On 2/15/2017 at 2:55 PM, Kitzikin said:

So as was doing further research found out much of the bacon out there has sugar AND the bacon I ate yesterday morn did, too! Starting over! 

I had bacon with sugar today, and I enjoyed it, and I'm not starting over. It's still way less sugar than I was having before! It is okay.

4 hours ago, Chrissybell said:

Day 5 ... I feel like a bit of a failure...everyone is SO positive and I am not feeling all that shiny or happy. :(

I am realizing how much of my diet was filled with sugar...even the things that I thought of as "healthy" were very loaded with sugar.  I think I am still in detox mode as the headache is still here (comes and goes) and it is frustrating to not feel GREAT.  The food has been amazing.  So delicious and colorful and filling...I am sleeping better because I am not getting that afternoon caffeine boost.  

I genuinely am not even hungry, but the habits are the hardest to break!  The feeling that it's Friday so I can have a soda...or get that special latte as a reward for being so good.  I know that this is where the hard work with the food relationship is coming into play, but it really is sucky.  I truly feel that Newbie status as I read more post from the facebook group or the forums and people that are on 2nd, 3rd, or even 6th round...or doing Whole60, 90, etc.  

I am just taking it day by day and meal by meal and trying to give myself little high-fives for not eating the popcorn that my 11 year old made last night or passing by the bowl of Lifesavers at work or going to bed early so I am not tempted to go into the kitchen at night.  

I guess the book was right on ... the amount of suck that I feel at this stage is directly proportional to how bad my diet was before.  Knowing that I am changing that is strong motivation to keep going...  (Thanks for 'listening'.)

Good for you staying strong! Yay! I'm on day 6 and feel not cranky but definitely having a lot of cravings.

FACEBOOK GROUP: Ladies/ gentlemen-- I will happy create a secret FB group for those of us who started. Please PM me on Facebook: Becky Lightman with the message FB Whole 30 Confidential and I can add whomever wants to. I feel so bad I've not been more of a part of the convo here but I don't log onto a computer much during the day. FB would be a much more powerful medium to keep me solid and anchored to the diet. 

10 hours ago, Chrissybell said:

Stick with it! I just completed my first W30 a week ago and it did not get easy until Day 17. Mind you I still snacked in between meals, I could truly never break that habit so I gave myself dried fruit and That's It bars as a reward for sticking with W30 every week.

I also weighed myself every week. I honestly could not make it 30 days without that. I say honestly give your self a break without breaking. I chose light snacking and weighing myself to keep myself sane, and then at around Day 17 everything sort of clicked and I didn't need to snack so much and I knew I was losing weight so I was confident I was on the right track. It definitely takes a while for some of us!

21 hours ago, Chrissybell said:

I truly feel that Newbie status as I read more post from the facebook group or the forums and people that are on 2nd, 3rd, or even 6th round...or doing Whole60, 90, etc.  

This should not be the case, seriously. Whole30 is just that. A 30 day gut reset program designed so that at the end of the 30 days you can figure out which foods do & don't work for you going forward. Stop looking on those folk who've done multiple W30's a heroes, and start asking yourself why they've had to keep coming back (often with rebound weight gain). More often than not they're using it as a diet (which it's developer never meant it to be), or they didn't do proper reintroductions, and/or went back to their old way of eating - so really they're no better off than you, despite wearing their 'multiple W30' status like a medal of honour.

Just keep on doing what you're doing and take one day at a time. One meal at a time if you have to. And keep on celebrating your own little victories. If you get a craving stop and think about the whys/wheres/hows etc & take note. Certain people or situations can trigger cravings and if you can learn to spot that then that's a huge step in changing your relationship with food. Every day is a school day, and at the end of your 30 days you'll be surprised how far you've come.

On 2017-02-16 at 6:37 PM, ExpatElle said:

@RebeccaM you won't regret completing a whole30. I am 25 weeks pregnant and owe getting pregnant at 34 in my first month of trying to whole30. I had my AMH tested in May 2016 to see where we stood in terms of my egg reserves. My score came back at a 12 & my physician told me not to wait a year. My husband and I started trying at the end of August 2016 and I got pregnant straight away! I completed my first whole30 on August 24 and the official first day of my pregnancy is August 29. I've never felt so good.

Need to get back into whole30 for longer than 3 days. 

@ExpatElle this is such a relief to hear! Congratulations to you and your husband, how exciting. I am also 34 years old. So I can relate to you. We started trying in August as well but then my period stopped (unusual) until this month! Which was so frustrating. I have a fertility clinic appointment scheduled later this month. But I decided to take my health in my hands as for sure there is a correlation between diet and fertility. One of the reasons I think my period came back is that I calmed down a bit, the pressure came off when I educated myself on the Fertility Awareness Method to take control of my body. 

Sorry to everyone to go so off topic! Maybe a little TMI as well. 

Archived