A farewell to cookies

yescrystal

Day 2 and still going strong.

They tried to tempt me today, and tempt me they did. They were sitting there on the counter in the kitchen area at work. For a while I forgot we aren't on speaking terms for 30 days as I checked them out everytime I walked by. Alas, I held out. It was a toughie. Day 2 and I just want to take a bite - just a small bite - but I must learn how to say no.

Day 1:

Meal 1: 4 Scrambled eggs with coconut oil and veggies

Meal 2: Ground turkey, 1/2 sweet potato, ghee, broccoli

Snack: Apple before a rather dizzying hot yoga class

Meal 3: Same thing I had for lunch, but with coconut butter (OMG!) on my broccoli

Day 2:

Meal 1: 4 Scrambled eggs with coconut oil and veggies

Meal 2: Ground turkey with diced onions and bell peppers, a baked sweet potato with ghee

Snack: Apple while preparing dinner because I was starving

Meal 3: Broccoli salad, with grapes, almonds, ground chicken, balsamic vinegar, and evoo

Must work on incorporating protein/fat into my snacks if I must eat them.

But wait...don't cookies have protein and fat? Like, gluten-free protein cookies with walnuts?

Okay fine. I'll deal. I just hope I don't end up maxing out my credit card by targeting my mind's need for cookies at various shopping centers.

Okay so the mission tomorrow: Fix my snack and STAY ON TARGET TO HEALTH. Really. It shouldn't be that hard.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Day 3

VICTORY!

Today I woke up tired, cranky, and incredibly hungry.

Regardless, I managed to turn down cookies ALL DAY. This morning, cookies were dropped off in the office. This afternoon after my lunch, I came back to my desk to find "treats" on my desk someone had brought me.

THIS NEVER HAPPENS. Yesterday cookies at work. Today SO MANY COOKIES at work. ON MY DAYS 2 AND 3. What the hell?!

I almost gave in. I felt pissy anyway and my carb flu is kicking in, in the form of my body feeling weak and like I need sugar. I know I don't really need sugar, though. I also know that immediately following taking a bite of a cookie, I would wish I hadn't in more ways than one.

7:30am

3 eggs scrambled with coconut butter and leftover ground turkey/onions/bell peppers, 1/2 sweet potato

1:30pm

Leftoever broccoli salad with paleo mayo, 1/2 sweet potato

6:15pm

Leftoever broccoli salad with paleo mayo, 1 small sweet potato with coconut butter and cinnamon

I know, too many grapes and possibly almonds with the multiple broccoli salads. I didn't want it to go to waste, though.

Oh my goodness. I can't believe I have made it 3 days. Someone at work today told me I "look out of it." Gee, thanks.

Day 3

VICTORY!

Today I woke up tired, cranky, and incredibly hungry.

Regardless, I managed to turn down cookies ALL DAY. This morning, cookies were dropped off in the office. This afternoon after my lunch, I came back to my desk to find "treats" on my desk someone had brought me.

THIS NEVER HAPPENS. Yesterday cookies at work. Today SO MANY COOKIES at work. ON MY DAYS 2 AND 3. What the hell?!

I almost gave in. I felt pissy anyway and my carb flu is kicking in, in the form of my body feeling weak and like I need sugar. I know I don't really need sugar, though. I also know that immediately following taking a bite of a cookie, I would wish I hadn't in more ways than one.

3 eggs scrambled with coconut butter and leftover ground turkey/onions/bell peppers, 1/2 sweet potato

Leftoever broccoli salad with paleo mayo, 1/2 sweet potato

6:15pm

Leftoever broccoli salad with paleo mayo, 1 small sweet potato with coconut butter and cinnamon

I know, too many grapes and possibly almonds with the multiple broccoli salads. I didn't want it to go to waste, though.

Oh my goodness. I can't believe I have made it 3 days. Someone at work today told me I "look out of it." Gee, thanks.

I'm only seeing protein at one meal. You know you are supposed to eat protein every time you eat right? Was that just a typo?

Day 4

3 eggs scrambled with ground chicken, broccoli, and spinach in coconut oil

Ground chicken with paleo mayo and cherry tomatoes, a baked sweet potato with coconut butter and cinnamon

6:30pm

Ground chicken with paleo mayo and cherry tomatoes, brussels sprouts with ghee and balsamic vinegar, apple

Woke up tired. Felt better after a shower. Got hit by a truck around noon (tired, headache, feeling weak).

My meals have been pretty redundant this week, mostly because I am going out of town this weekend for a friend's wedding and just wanted to keep everything simple prior.

Speaking of wedding...champagne, cake, delicious food (she's a foodie)...oh goodness.

What's your strategy for the wedding? You sound right on track (possible carb-flu)... but a solid strategy will help you get through that wedding (and it's coming at a vulnerable time).

A few ideas: eat before you go! Also, take something really yummy--but compliant--with you (even if you leave it in the car or hotel... you will know that you can have it). A glass with club soda and a lime give you a "drink" to have in your hand and something to sip. What else?

Keep on!

I have no strategy as of yet. I am horrible at planning for these kinds of things.

In all honesty, I am planning on whatever I eat being not totally compliant regardless of what it is just because I have no control over how it is cooked. Further, having a history of an eating disorder, I would prefer people not judging me if I am not eating for whatever reason. So I'll choose meat and vegetables, and extend the whole30 in case what I eat is cooked with non-compliant ingredients.

Not eating cake will be fine; I can easily just say I am too full. I don't want to explain at a wedding that I am avoiding sugar.

The champagne is up in the air. I am not planning on drinking any, but if I do, I won't feel bad about it. Like I said, I'm extending what I'm doing so I will still end up having at least 30 straight days of whole30 eating.

So, basically, avoiding grains/sugary treats will be fine as they make me feel sick anyway. Champagne? Maybe. The food there? I'll make the best choices I can with what they have. :)

I'm more worried about what I'm going to eat around the wedding since it is out of town. I'll have to find a close Chipotle, lol.

Sounds like you do have a strategy! I edited your post a bit below...

I am planning on whatever I eat being not totally compliant regardless of what it is just because I have no control over how it is cooked.

I'll choose meat and vegetables, and extend the whole30 in case what I eat is cooked with non-compliant ingredients.

Not eating cake will be fine; I can easily just say I am too full. I don't want to explain at a wedding that I am avoiding sugar.

The champagne is up in the air. I am not planning on drinking any, but if I do, I won't feel bad about it. Like I said, I'm extending what I'm doing so I will still end up having at least 30 straight days of whole30 eating.

So, basically, avoiding grains/sugary treats will be fine as they make me feel sick anyway. Champagne? Maybe. The food there? I'll make the best choices I can with what they have. :)

Is there a grocery store where you will be and will you have any kind of kitchen?

Good luck and have a great time!

^Haha thanks, I guess I did. I just don't have a strategy for making sure 100% that I stay on the Whole30. :)

Day 5!!!

This was the day I quit the Whole30 last time....

4 eggs scrambled in coconut oil with spinach

A can of tuna with paleo mayo and mustard, plus a sweet potato with coconut butter and cinnamon

7:30pm

Chipotle! Lettuce, carnitas, mild salsa, guacamole

I managed to get out of going to a sushi restaurant for dinner with my beau, his sister, and his grandma. Him and I live together so I'll see him after. :) I used my hair appointment as an excuse so I wouldn't have to explain not eating my favorite dish there.

Today has actually been okay. I have been tired and headache-y, yes, but I don't feel all "OMGZ I NEED A CUPCAKE!!!!" like I thought I would, or like I was last night. I am REALLY tired of cooking so much, but I know it's the best thing for me to do.

Anyways, Wedding tomorrow. I'm excited!

The wedding was beautiful and SO much fun. I had way too much Sangria. It was delicious and I so don't regret it.

So obviously back to day 1. I actually signed up for the daily emails this time to give myself more resolve. I even wrote down all my goals:

I will eat dinner slowly, savoring each bite and not rushing.

I will be in bed by 10:30pm on week-nights.

I will meditate for 10mins every day.

I will go to yoga at least 4x a week, and do cardio at least once a week.

I will do light stretches and foam rolling in the evening while watching tv or before bed.

I will respect my knee injuries instead of pushing myself to pain in yoga class.

I will do something FUN on the weekends.

I will read before bed.

I will abstain from eating after dinner and giving in to my tendency to snack right before bed.

Having dipped my toes in the Whole30 for a while now, I am loving how much money I am saving by not buying my lunch everyday during my lunch break at work. Also, not spending money every morning on cappuccino's helps too! This is how I rationalize my $60-90 grocery bill each week. Oh, and of course the fact that preparing my own quality-sourced food to support my health also helps me rationalize this.

Ate all compliant meals for another Day 1.

-Egg scramble with coconut oil and spinach, 1/2 sweet potato with coconut butter and cinnamon

-Chicken breast with paleo mayo and broccoli, 1/2 sweet potato with coconut butter and cinnamin

-Apple

-Chicken fajitas, brussels sprouts with coconut butter and balsamic vinegar

BEST. MOOD. EVER. TODAY. Too bad it won't last, haha. :)

Oh my gosh. Halloween candy. Have to start over tomorrow. Except that I'm joining in on a "girls night" with a group of people I have not yet met (going with someone from work) so there will be drinking. And the host is cooking dinner.

UGH.

The Whole30 Daily emails restart for me tomorrow. I HAVE to do this, this time. To prove to myself that I can do it. To prove to my boyfriend, whom I have lived with for over 4 years and who has for the past month heard me say "I'm doing this" only to eat something totally off-plan, that I can do it.

Gah I'm so discouraged right now, but at the same time I want this so bad. I want to follow through with this. I want to not worry about hurting other people's feelings because of decisions I am making that MIGHT indirectly affect them, if at all. I want to really, truly, believe that I can do this.

Tomorrow I am going to sit down and actually come up with a game plan. I'll write down obstacles, situations that have tended to be more difficult for me in keeping with the Whole30. I'll write down ways to overcome them, to get through them, so I can actually make the full 30 days.

To me, this is about more than just eating a certain way. It's about getting over myself, doing something great for myself, and changing my relationship with food and my body.

The meals you are making for yourself look fantastic. Can you throw our if your house all the non- compliant cookies and candies? I promise you if you can get to days 7-10 the cravings will start to cease. Stop thinking about it and just do it. You can.

I live with my boyfriend who is not doing the whole30 and he bought the candy so no :(. I decided I'm going to stop whining about it and just do it. I will receive the day 1 email again tomorrow. I just bought a crockpot also which I'm stoked about. Reading through other logs is definitely motivating.

Tomorrow I am going to sit down and actually come up with a game plan. I'll write down obstacles, situations that have tended to be more difficult for me in keeping with the Whole30. I'll write down ways to overcome them, to get through them, so I can actually make the full 30 days.

Did you do this?

You can do this. It's only 30 days. There will always be more weddings, candy, girls-nights-out, etc. You can return to eating at those things if you choose to after your Whole30.

I always feel like I'm getting too squishy when I say this, but you have to make a deep commitment to yourself. Honor that commitment. In this instance, your commitment to yourself is more important than the other people (and I suspect you may find they don't mind as much as you thought they would).

You can do this; you just have to decide to.

hey crystal - thank you for sharing all this! I'm recently back (today was day 1) after a 2 wk + binge & after a gazillion (ok, maybe a half dozen) whole 30 attempts.

It's hard being stuck in the land of the "unquit"... but we are learning!!! keep up the work and keep posting. I am so much more aware of my food/sleep and how it affects, we'll, everything!... I have to keep reminding myself to remain teachable and not expect perfection (BUT, as was mentioned earlier, honoring my decision and my commitment to do something remarkable for myself <== this is so tough sometimes!!!)

Maggie

Thanks so much for the support! I definitely need to honor my commitments to myself and just keep going.

The broccoli salad is broccoli, almonds, red grapes, chopped onion, and paleo mayo. Oh and I used ground chicken. :)

Day 1 again! Here goes. :)

Good luck!! You CAN do this! I've started yesterday, and it take a lot of discipline to turn down all those Halloween candies (there are so much of them as work it's not even funny). You are stonger than those cookies!!!!

Thanks Renee! Those cookies will have nothing on my this time. ;)

And yes, there will always be reasons to "fall off the wagon" with the Whole30. I just need to decide if it is worth comprimising how great eating this makes me feel...which I won't actually experience unless I stick with the 30 days.

This morning was rough. Home late last night, so I had to make my breakfast and lunch before I headed out to work. An egg/spinach/coconut oil scramble for meal 1. I have tuna with avocado and mustard, plus a baked sweet potato with coconut butter, in the fridge for lunch. I am hoping this is enough to hold me over through yoga after work. I would hate to miss a class just because I am too hungry to make it through an hour in a heated room. I have nothing prepared for dinner since I got home so late so I am just going to swing by Chipotle for meal 3.

I am excited. I feel more confident this time. Even Thanksgiving isn't making me nervous; I am planning on making a dish to take to my boyfriend's parents and I'll eat that, some turkey, and a salad. It shouldn't be so bad.

Was offered a homemade cookie today at work and totally turned it down. :)

7:30AM: 4 eggs scrambled in coconut oil with spinach

1:30PM: A can of tuna with 1/2 large avocado and some mustard, baked sweet potato with cinnamon and coconut butter

6:30PM: Banana + 2 hot dogs (totally W30 compliant), broccoli, all cooked in coconut butter (minus the banana)

Good for you for turning down that cookie! Looks like a great day! I'm curious to know about you compliant hotdog...? Only sausage? No condiments? (I personnaly haven't been able to find ketchup or relish that don't have a form of sugar)

Archived