Soup bones for bone broth?

Emily

I have "soup bones" that I have gotten over time through several bulk beef orders and never used... would these work to make bone broth? They are round and 2-3" thick... not long like the ones I see in blog posts about how to make bone broth. But I feel good that I know they are from grass-fed cows!

Absolutely! We just had a funny conversation going in a thread about this very thing. I forget the name of the thread. Apparently, Mark Sisson encourages people to take a sledgehammer to that particular bone so the good insides get into the broth. I always ask for Marrow bones (the short, smaller ones with the marrow inside) because the other ones don't make a gelatinous stock very easily. Got a sledge hammer or chain saw? :)

Here's the link to Mark's post, There's a wealth of information in it. He actually recommends using all bones not just the ones we usually use as he says there's so much goodness in all bones. I've got my first pot of bone stock simmering away :)

Here's the link to Mark's post, There's a wealth of information in it. He actually recommends using all bones not just the ones we usually use as he says there's so much goodness in all bones. I've got my first pot of bone stock simmering away :)

Yes, for chicken stock, I use all sorts of bones including necks and backs. In fact they are my favorite things to use. The only two beef bones that are available to me to my knowledge are the big round ones and the marrow bones. I would use many more if I could find them. Now, I probably can get them from a meat source that sells the whole sides of beef. In fact, I'll bet I could get them from WF if I ordered them. I am going to look into this. :)

Absolutely! We just had a funny conversation going in a thread about this very thing. I forget the name of the thread. Apparently, Mark Sisson encourages people to take a sledgehammer to that particular bone so the good insides get into the broth. I always ask for Marrow bones (the short, smaller ones with the marrow inside) because the other ones don't make a gelatinous stock very easily. Got a sledge hammer or chain saw? :)

OMG I am picturing you in the kitchen with your chainsaw!! :lol:

I happen to know a little about chainsaws ;) and I don't think I'd recommend using one on bone without a special chain... or plan on completely trashing the chain you use. :blink: A sledgehammer, however, seems very appropriate!

Im hoping to make my first bone broth this weekend! Thanks for the link!

Funny enough..I am going to Home Depot today to see what they have available for whacking bones. I'm sure they'll be looking at me cross eyed. :)

"hi, do you have a hammer for breaking bones?"

:huh: "what kind of bones Miss?"

"oh, mostly thighs bones"

:D :D

"hi, do you have a hammer for breaking bones?"

:huh: "what kind of bones Miss?"

"oh, mostly thighs bones"

:D :D

This won't mean anything to you over on that Emerald Isle, but they probably thought I was going to go all Tonya Harding on them. :D

I did end up buying a pretty little bone whacking 4 lb sledgehammer. :)

This won't mean anything to you over on that Emerald Isle, but they probably thought I was going to go all Tonya Harding on them. :D

I did end up buying a pretty little bone whacking 4 lb sledgehammer. :)

I nearly spat out my peppermint tea!

Archived