Whole30 Technology Addiction

Hey everyone, I'm wondering if ya'll can give me some input here:

I feel like I need a "whole30" from my phone and computer. Anybody have ideas about how to do this practically?

I use technology for a lot of good things (setting up real life interactions, appointments, collaborating on projects with people far away, school work, FORUMS lol) so unfortunately cold turkey for 30 days isn't realistic. But I do see that I NEED HARD LIMITS, just like I need the rules on whole30, becaude I'm so addicted that I just can't self regulate yet. I need a good long detox so my brain can learn how to meet the needs I medicate with technology in other ways, just like my body is learning to meet its needs without sugar and carbs. 

I also struggle with "the airplane effect" mentioned in FFF - I can abstain from technology ad long as I want, but as soon as it gets within a day or two of that time being over the addiction comes back stinger than ever.

I'd love your thoughts! :)

I was just thinking this, this morning.  We lost power at home and I could not watch TV/ surf the internet / play on my phone!  I had to pick up a book!  Craziness.  Note that as soon as I got to work where there is internet I'm back online!  I definitely will read that article, thanks jmcbn.

On ‎3‎/‎9‎/‎2017 at 10:20 AM, mburns224 said:

Hey everyone, I'm wondering if ya'll can give me some input here:

I feel like I need a "whole30" from my phone and computer. Anybody have ideas about how to do this practically?

I use technology for a lot of good things (setting up real life interactions, appointments, collaborating on projects with people far away, school work, FORUMS lol) so unfortunately cold turkey for 30 days isn't realistic. But I do see that I NEED HARD LIMITS, just like I need the rules on whole30, becaude I'm so addicted that I just can't self regulate yet. I need a good long detox so my brain can learn how to meet the needs I medicate with technology in other ways, just like my body is learning to meet its needs without sugar and carbs. 

I also struggle with "the airplane effect" mentioned in FFF - I can abstain from technology ad long as I want, but as soon as it gets within a day or two of that time being over the addiction comes back stinger than ever.

I'd love your thoughts! :)

I've been trying to do better with this too! I started by setting a 9 PM rule, and I turn my iPhone into do not disturb mode. That way if I get any texts or calls they don't light up my phone and it doesn't make a noise. I told all important people in my life that I wasn't going to answer texts or calls after 9 - if there is a true emergency, you can change your settings so that calls from favorites come through, or if they call more than 2x in a row it will ring. I also started charging my phone in a different room, and got an old school alarm clock. That way the mindless social media browsing is just that much more removed.

I haven't done this yet, but you could also try deleting the time suck/mindless scrolling apps from your phone. Much harder to waste time on Facebook if you have to keep re-downloading it. It might also make you think a little more about whether or not you actually NEED to check social media - you usually don't :)

I also asked friends for book recommendations, and started going to my library  A LOT more! E-books are awesome, but I have to read them on my iPad, and the temptation to check other apps is much worse!

I am retired and very addicted to social media, so I try to look at a few things on FB, then go do dishes, start laundry etc. I am not much for daytime TV so listen to Pandora for fave music and that helps.  It is more of a winter thing for me though

Archived